2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Boyce
It is perhaps worth noting, in connection with the viability of tuning for a living, and the need to consider location, that we have no full-time technician posting here from a Congolese village......
In that vein, there don't seem to be a lot of postings from Antarctica either.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Nor a lot from outer space, although my nephew may change that.

Semipro Tech
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
When many of us started in this business there wasn't much demand in China either.
Who would have thunk?.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by rxd
When many of us started in this business there wasn't much demand in China either.
Who would have thunk?.

Indeed. I have an early Naxos CD of Bach piano music, recorded in China, Tsuen Wan Town Hall in 1985. The unisons are OK, but some of the intervals sound very odd (and I don't think it was a historical temperament!) Someone said to me at that time, that competent tuners were few and far between in China. Things have moved on!

In considering a career as a piano technician, though, some forethought is surely necessary, with the mention of Antarctica being a good example. It seems extremely unlikely that in the lifetime of a student today, there will ever be a high piano density in Antarctica. So it's not the place to live and work as a piano technician. A bioscience researcher might be more able to find a living there.

So, one considering a piano tech career has to think "Are there pianos where I live, and if not, can I move to somewhere where there are pianos? And where there are not already many established technicians?

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Anyone with standard piano technology skills with nothing too quirky will find work and it's accompanying further education in many parts of the world where the governments allow them. Companies often help with entry and work visas for a suitably qualified person. A company such as Estonia can give you this training and may open doors to a technical job with their importers in other countries.

I have relocated 6 times in 45 years. Each time waliking into good jobs. The last time, I was offered work immediately from 4 companies in a city with many established tuner/techs. I wasn't even looking for work!!. I have a standing order from one company to inform them of any talented technician I come across. There aren't really very many good techs with solid tuning skills while reasonably good tuners with few other skills are a dime a dozen.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
RxD : That is exactly my point ... if you are really good then you should be able to pick who you work for. Piano firms are desperate to employ good tuners, but good tuners normally make a much better living working for themselves. However, in order to be in this position, you must have a solid track record if you expect the likes of the big manufacturers to either employ you or use you on a sub-contract basis.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Theo,

The 'questions' aren't about tuning as a career, but selecting a career in general when faced by people of your age. Tuners don't have 'the answer' either.

When a boy of five is asked what he wants to be when he grows up, the answer is often an adamant "Fireman" or "Cowboy." That is, at least in the USA. As a late teenager, there is often a pause and an expression of uncertainty. That is what is universal, not the specific career involved.

Please accept my complements on your command of English. It is very good.

Alright, I understand. I suppose I'll just go for it and dedicate myself 100%. I did decide after taking into account every opinion and fact I could get my hands on, so all is well.

Thank you for the compliment smile

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by accordeur
Compliments I have to add as well. And all the best.

Thank you smile

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Sonatine
Hi Theo!

Reading your post was an interesting experience for me because I, too, am nineteen years old and am planning on becoming a piano technician. And I, too, have had some negative comments and skeptical replies from certain people (mostly professors) regarding this somewhat unusual career choice. The worst was probably when my chamber music professor looked at me in horror and said, "Why do you want to do that? You have intellect!"
Where our situations differ, I think, is in the fact that my family has been extremely supportive of my ambitions and has never tried to convince me one way or the other. I'm sorry to hear about your struggles on that front, but I think you put forth a lot of very convincing and sensible reasons for your career choice. I have been giving this a lot of thought in my own life, and my feeling is, if you KNOW what you want to do, you should do it. And you're lucky that you know what you want to do, because I know many people in their mid-twenties (and older) who are floating around uncertain of what they want, stuck in dead-end jobs. I know others who went to college and majored in subjects that they weren't passionate about, who graduated and found that they didn't want to work in their chosen field of study. And then there is the famous "mid-life crisis", which is the point at which many piano technicians get their start (or so it appears to me). Odds are, if you want to be a piano technician NOW, and do programming instead, who's to say that you won't end up throwing in the towel at age 40 and becoming a piano technician at that point, because that's what you really wanted to do in the first place? Just a thought, anyway. It COULD happen.
I disagree with most of the list of objections that your family/others put out; I don't think they're very logical. I also don't think that studying programming and piano technology at the same time is a good idea, for the same reasons you mentioned. I do think that if you are methodical, attentive, and are willing to work hard you will succeed as a piano technician. Good luck in your studies!

Sarah

Thank you for your input, Sarah.

I am glad I am not alone. It would be completely fine even if I were though. My family is by no means music oriented, so it was to be expected. Then again, that is not the core problem. The problem lies in the past experiences of my family members, the struggles they had to live through due to wrong life-choices. They wish me well, I understand. They should understand that the most I can do while still living my own life, is to consider their opinions and follow my own path.

I agree that it is a very probable future of mine if I decide to work as a programmer. Anything is possible, but yes, I will start with what is closer to my heart.

I wish you luck in your studies as well!

Cheers,
Theo

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Johnkie
I really do believe that if you are able to become really skilled in this profession, that you will never be short of work and be able to attain a very good income. The biggest problem facing many who think of becoming tuners is that they just aren't good enough to attract the clients needed in order to maintain the amount of work necessary to make a worthwhile living. If you have the opportunity to gain expertise under a supervised apprenticeship then that is most likely the best start you could possibly wish for.

Once you have reached the highest standards and your name has become held in high regard, word will filter around through recommendation and increase you client base.

I was advised to not consider going into "such a strange profession" by teachers, they, like so many thought it something that would never enable me to earn a good living! Having served 5 years as an apprentice I then started out working for high class piano firms to gain experience of working in the field rather than in the workshops. After several years, I then became self employed and have never looked back.

I know I was very lucky to get such a good training from the start, and it is much more difficult for those wishing to persue this career to obtain the same level of training these days..... but if it can be found, and if you can reach the highest standards, then seriously go for it.

In these difficult enconomic times where jobs and professions are becoming both hard to get and no longer are considered 'jobs for life', I can hand on heart say that it was the wisest decision I ever made .... the work comes to me, I can't remember when I last had to ever contact clients to obtain work .... I've never had to seek financial help from the state, and there are so many bad tuners about that they in fact only generate more work for me when their work fails to impress their clients.

47 years in this profession without a break of any sort, and I can continue for as long as my health holds out. You want to become a tuner ? If you can become good enough then there's no earthly reason why it shouldn't be the wisest choice you may ever make.

You must be serious and dedicated ... be prepared to put everything you have into obtaining the highest standards of expertise and getting yourself a good reputation .... it's not good enough to be anything less if you are to compete and win over the amount of clients necessary to ensure a good lifelong living. I wish you the very best of luck in coming to your final decision. wink

Thank you for the input!

I am willing to put in the necessary dedication and work to become one the best. Big words for someone who has yet to start, however one cannot attain something that he is afraid to even write out in words.

It was a good description of what might be waiting for me in the following years. Now I have a better picture of what could come.

Cheers,
Theo

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Dave B
If you're looking for encouragement, you came to the wrong place. I'm not going to tell you not to become a piano tech. May I suggest not completely dropping all that you've developed so far, like the viola and computers.

That is what I am planning to do, yes. I like to learn as many things and have them in my back-pocket, should I need them. Playing the viola is something I'd rather not hold in that pocket, but rather practice and keep developing the skill while sharing my love for the instrument smile

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Bob
1)Piano tuner-technician job is a very narrow specialization. In fact, it would be pretty hard to find a specialization as narrow as being a piano technician is. (Is this true and if it is, is this a con? If not, how is it a pro?)

This is a relatively small industry, but there are different "specialties" within the Piano Technician title such as concert prep, rebuilding, refinishing, belly work, action work.

2)The income is not sufficient to sustain oneself and ones wife (kids?).

The income level depends on how hard you work and how good you are at marketing yourself. It can easily support a family in the USA.

3)The bank will not give out loans to buy an apartment due to unstable income. (or insufficient finance)

It can be harder to get financing, but not impossible. A good credit rating is very important. It's funny, because no one can fire me. I can't get laid off. My job is more secure than that loan officer at the bank.

4)There will always be a job for a programmer, where for a piano technician there will not.

There will always be work for the best tuners who can market themselves.

5)A programmer has more freedom in terms of when and where to work and how much to work in comparison to a piano technician

False. I can set my own hours. I take time off when I want. I also work hard when the work is there - sometimes 20 days straight without a break.

6)It is hard to imagine that a piano tuner-technician (unemployed) be able to work full-time.

It's flexible, full time or part time, or semi retired

7)Piano tuner-technician is a psychically straining job, it is better to work intellectually (business managment, programming etc) as I would be strained or unable to work in old age.

There are physical demands, but if a technician protects his ears, back, shoulders, elbows, and wrists, a long career can be had. Long days can be mentally taxing as well.

8)I can only continue my studies as a piano tuner by becoming a super-puper-mega piano tuner

The better you are, the more money you make.

Thank you. This gives me a better understanding of what the job is really like! The more I know, the better. I can prepare myself beforehand and figure out the best course of action.

Theo

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
The biggest problem facing many who think of becoming tuners is that they just aren't good enough to attract the clients needed in order to maintain the amount of work necessary to make a worthwhile living.

I'm agree with you...
Perhaps main problem new tuner is he don't know what will make every day for all his life.
A job of tuner is very hard, monotonous, stodgy and often ungrateful but there group people which don't can live without it. A Name is a tuner piano.
GLORY, people this profession!

Thank you for your input, Max!
I will consider your opinion and experience smile

Theo

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by phacke
Originally Posted by BlueberryTheo

My name is Theo and I am 19 years old. I finished studying in high school this year (secondary education) and after a long thought I decided I want to be a piano tuner. My hobbies are playing the viola and piano, psychology, philosophy, sport (running), IT (including programming), cooking and dancing.
Before music appeared in my life, I was a computer addict of sorts. I still know a lot about computers and enjoy working with them ever since my childhood.. but then again, I decided that programming is a hobby that I enjoy to do every once in a while and not something I would want to be my future profession...

Hello,
That was the same with me. I really like programming as a hobby a great deal, but when I got a summer job doing business application programming, I decided it wasn't for me. I still program once in a while, and I enjoy that.

Just like we have tried programming and decided against it, try out tuning-- study up yourself, volunteer on beat-up/abandoned pianos in homes, find a mentor if you can, before making major commitments, and see if it grows favorably on you. Your hobby list that you have in your post best already state something closely related.

best wishes-

Thank you for the input, Phacke!

I already have quite a few beat-up pianos I called dibs on laugh
I just cannot stand out of tune pianos.. Just knowing that there is an out of tune piano in my reach is disturbing.

I will commit myself and dedicate to becoming one of the best. Time will show how it goes. I will not know unless I make the first step, which is commitment.

Cheers,
Theo

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Theo,

This is just an observation of you through your writing. English is a very difficult language to master, yet you have accomplished that goal. If you put the same work and dedication toward the mastery of tuning and the technical aspects of the piano, you will certainly be able to accomplish your goal and assure your future.

Follow your heart. "What ifs" are only viewed in hindsight.
To those, there is no real answer.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by David Jenson
Originally Posted by Jbyron
Originally Posted by Sonatine
Hi Theo!
The worst was probably when my chamber music professor looked at me in horror and said, "Why do you want to do that? You have intellect!"

Sarah

Your chamber music professor sounds like a complete idiot, or at the very least a severe ignoramus.
I had a music professor make a snide remark once when I was tuning at a prestigious East-Coast college. I turned and extended the handle of my tuning hammer to him. Several looks went across his face, then he smiled and said, "You're right. 'Different skills. Carry on."

Nice one. I know what to do should I be in the same situation. Clever! laugh

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Theo : I sincerely wish you the very best in whatever career you finally decide on. If you have determination, dedication, pride and honesty, as well as being prepared for your expertise to flourish only as your experience increases, then there's no earthly reason why you shouldn't be able to eventually become a member of a very elite band of much sort after top class tuner / technicians who rarely need to find work .... it just keeps coming in. smile

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
B
OP Offline
B
Theo, may I join others in complimenting your fluency and accuracy in English.

It is possible to be a piano technician AND a programmer, as demonstrated by Mario Igrec, author of the new book Pianos Inside Out, the best technical piano book yet written.

Jonkie sounds a very positive note with his comments, and it's good to consider those encouraging thoughts. However, various factors have to be thought about. Johnkie is based in London, which has very high population density, piano density and wealth density. Other areas may not offer the same opportunity. You may be the best technician in the country, but if it's a country with few people and few pianos, there may not realistically be a living in it. In which case it would be necessary to take your skills to another country in order to get enough work.

I am finding it a struggle in Scotland. After leaving my full-time teaching job in 2011, I am trying to make a full living from pianos, after having it as a minor second income stream for 27 years. But the population of all Scotland is around the same as that of inner London. So there are fewer people and fewer pianos, within a reasonable radius. In addition, in the economic recession, Local Authorities are struggling for cash, and are less inclined to have school pianos properly maintained. I offer a good service, customers are very happy, and I don't get compliants (and if I did, I'd go back and deal with them immediately). But there just aren't enough pianos out there!

So, these things must be weighed carefully. Where are the pianos, and are the people who own them willing to keep them tuned? If there are few pianos around you, are you willing to move elsewhere - maybe to another country - to find the instruments?

Please keep us updated with your progress!

Thank you very much! I appreciate the compliments.

It does make a lot of sense what you're saying. I am willing to work elsewhere. In fact, I decided that it is my dream to get enough money to buy a motorcycle and then drive to Germany and-or Austria and tune pianos there while learning the German language. So far I have Estonian, Russian and English under my belt smile

Of course I will not abandon my own country when it is in need. As much as I've heard, Estonia needs piano tuners. I just don't know to what extent yet.

I will have to consider my love life as well though. Even right now, everything is very unstable and I have no idea what is going to happen next. I've lived through a lot of pain and suffering and so I am slowly recovering while a past relationship tries its best to hit me left and right. I will figure out my course of action, but in any case, I am willing to do what is needed. There will always be a choice which will make both sides happy.

I will consider everything you said.

Once again, thank you.

Cheers,
Theo

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by rxd
Who would have thunk?.

Indeed. I have an early Naxos CD of Bach piano music, recorded in China, Tsuen Wan Town Hall in 1985. The unisons are OK, but some of the intervals sound very odd (and I don't think it was a historical temperament!) Someone said to me at that time, that competent tuners were few and far between in China. Things have moved on!

In considering a career as a piano technician, though, some forethought is surely necessary, with the mention of Antarctica being a good example. It seems extremely unlikely that in the lifetime of a student today, there will ever be a high piano density in Antarctica. So it's not the place to live and work as a piano technician. A bioscience researcher might be more able to find a living there.

So, one considering a piano tech career has to think "Are there pianos where I live, and if not, can I move to somewhere where there are pianos? And where there are not already many established technicians?

Interesting story about the Chinese recording.

It's quite funny to mention piano tuning in Antarctica due to many reasons. I got the point though. Hopefully not to mock Estonia, but then again, I could care less smile

Estonia has quite a few music schools and a music and theater academy (previous conservatory). The pianos there are most probably already tuned by a contracted tuner already though.

Cheers,
Theo

B
OP Offline
B
RxD : That is exactly my point ... if you are really good then you should be able to pick who you work for. Piano firms are desperate to employ good tuners, but good tuners normally make a much better living working for themselves. However, in order to be in this position, you must have a solid track record if you expect the likes of the big manufacturers to either employ you or use you on a sub-contract basis.

What is a track record?

Theo

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission