2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
21. aTallGuyNH - New York State of Mind (intro only) - I think you did well to take the opportunity of playing in a room like this. The sound is not the best, OK, but that does not matter. I liked this introduction. When we hear the rest?

22. PikaPianist - Impromptu Op. 90 No. 3, Gb major - I don't know what is your piano experience but, in any case, you are in the right way. I think this is far from easy, but you did a wonderfull job. I agree: beautiful, lyrical, elegant. Looking forward to listen more from you. Congratulations.

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval - Serge, it works for me. The "Band in a Box" sounds are just great with this piece. Nice job!

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren - Anne H, I thought this was brilliantly played for someone with 6 months of experience. Welcome to ABF recitals! Very good playing!

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 - Ah, Chopin again. I'm a big fan, though I've never played anything from him... You sound much more experienced than you say... 6 months??? Wow, just great!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Thank you to Mr Super Hunky and Andy Platt. I know that quite a few of us have BBs on PW. I think not enough is said about them. They have a lot of character. I know mine literally makes me play better. Thank you both for the encouraging words.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 This is a beautifully performed prelude, with great feeling and tenderness. As often with baroque, the question of pedal comes up but I think you handled it well as is.

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger Video game music that sounds anything but. This is a really terrific performance, you bring a real sense of the mood to this piece. I loved the dynamic range and small rubato in the piece. Since I would never know where you didn't play 3 against 2 I don't miss that!

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" I don't know the original but it sounded great as an arrangement to me. The melody was clear and really sang - you phrased it very vocally. But you didn't skimp on the accompaniment which I found rich and interesting. I enjoyed it a lot.

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 This is a beautiful performance. I felt you had a wonderfully controlled, relaxed left hand which allowed a lot of movement within the piece around that. I liked the changes of mood in the different sections too. And the pedaling sounded good so whatever you did with the sostenuto worked well.

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) I don't know any of these songs from Les Mis but you bring out the melody very clearly and with a very vocal line. I can almost hear singing. Very stirring and beautiful performances.

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 You nailed the first movement in a way I was never able to do. You kept it very simple, as the music deserves. The trills were very well executed and there is a nice change of mood into the minor section. I don't think Mozart would be laughing but I'm sure he would be happy! The second movement was beautifully performed though you might want a little more dynamic contrast in some of the sections. Again there is a lovely change of mood in the minor section. The third section might be the hardest of all because it is a little "strange", almost comical. But your straightforward performance suits it admirably and I thought it worked really well. Over all this is a wonderful performance of a, definitely not facile, sonata.

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night I had to wait till number 37 for some Einaudi, what is the world coming to?! I enjoyed this - I felt the deep bass notes in the middle really gave some life to the piece and you played them just right. The tempo adjustments worked well and the piece was very satisfying.

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor This is a beautiful piece from Scriabin that I haven't come across before. You handle the polyrhythms so well, it's as if they aren't there, just each voice doing it's thing. The melody is shaped really nicely and the whole piece moves forward with great tenderness but firm direction.

39. Sandy - Consolation It's a shame about the recording because it sounded beautiful apart from that. I think you did a very nice job of bringing a wistful feel to the music without it being overly sentimental. It was well phrased.

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 Like Glen's version (funny how we sometimes get two of the same piece in a recital) I think you did a great job of making a quite difficult piece understandable. It was shaped very well and there was a great choice of dynamic range for this piece. I enjoyed it a lot.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
31 - 40. Wagons roll!

Yester You`re havin` too much fun. Bach is excellent tuition material and has to be taken seriously, without smiles! (not) Steady as she goes. Good work indeed!

AllanW lovely flowing style you have; confident and precise. I could use a dollop o` that. Hope your mic doesn`t fall on the dog . . .

CMohr I like this, don`t know it though . . well performed!

Stumbler Atmospheric piece, tremendous and accomplished! Great pee - anno!

Trapper John Good steady left hand and preciseness with the right. Yammies sound great, don`t thsy?

timmyab Mozart`s hu mour is everywhere in his music. A lot of it is refreshingly light and complex. You reflect that so well!

MonikaK Who knows how to record a piano then? U do! Sounds terrific; Einaudi`s evocative tunes are safe in your capable hands!

JimF There`s great music here this time round, and yours is up there! Fine music on a fine piano!

Sandy Mendellsohn was a master of the "feelgood", way ahead of his time. Your playing reflects that; the piano is most definitely "atmospheric". Loved it!

JakeS No bar lines? Blimey, like a red rag to a bull! I really will have to have a go at this dark and decadent piece o` fine art. Hope I do half as well as you . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm kind of coming late to this party, but I've loved listening so far. I'll get to more comments tomorrow sometime.

28. ClavBoy – Minuet in D minor – Very charming and prettily played. I enjoyed this.

34. stumbler - A big piece! You handled the dynamics well, and made it grande.

36. timmyab – Sonata – Charming at times, lovely at others! I think you played this really well, and I like Mozart a lot. You did it justice.

38. JimF – Canon in D Minor – Actually I thought the extraneous sounds were what makes this an ABF recital  Very nicely played, very “cool”.

42. CarlosCC – Life – The ABF is in no danger of not having an excellent Einaudi interpreter – this was lovely, very expressively played.

44. lady payne – Canon D – What a treat! I love the background, and your version is delightful.

50. Copper – Variation No. 14 – How peaceful, and reverently played. Very nice.

54. AimeeO – Sonatina – I loved it! You sounded like you were skipping through the meadows gaily the whole time you played 

56. Ohio_Mark – Minuet in F Major – I remember playing this. I love Mozart – congratulations on your very nice playing!

More later -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Late for the party, I will just comment on the pieces I know.

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545

I can totally relate to what's you were saying about Mozart. I'm hearing his laughing voice as well. It's the one I heard in the movie Amadeus. Jokes aside I think you have pulled out a respectable performance that you can be proud of. I remember those scales and other seemingly simple 4 notes runs are formidable. I bet it's still not even if I play it now. My teacher says Mozart is the best one if you try to acquire certain finesse. So good for you.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Thankyou to all who listened to my recital piece and a big thankyou to those who left comments. Your king words are encouraging and I am so glad I found this community. With only nine months of learning piano it is difficult to listen to all the pieces and make meaningful comments, my words would become extremely repetitive. Suffice it to say I listened to all the works and am always amazed at the talent here. Everyone should be congratulated but to those that responded to my recital I listened sometimes two and three times and would like to respond in kind:

Allard – I can see why you like this piece, simply stunning. Your playing gave me goosebumps and I was glad there was no flute so I could just listen to your wonderful playing.

Casinitaly – I listen to the chords and think “yikes” I could never play as seamlessly as that. A great job on a challenging piece.

SwissMS – So well played it’s an inspiration to beginners like myself. You made it look effortless which I now finally understand is a skill that could take a lifetime of work.

Monika K – I just bought Timelapse yesterday, a nice co-incidence but nothing to contact X Files over. Not technically challenging you say, I’ll just take your word for it, but that doesn’t take anything away from another great performance.

Dynamobt – A gem of a piece and really, only one year as a returning adult and you are playing as good as this. The whole piece is wonderful but the ending is just brilliant which was all the more enjoyable with your perfect touch.

Andy Platt – I have found that Bach is never simple and can never be underestimated, sounded like you are in full control of this piece which made this a joy to listen to.

Stumbler – I can see/hear why you like this composer. It’s a great piece but sounds very challenging which you controlled so nicely particularly the ever changing dynamics. A real pleasure to listen to your playing.

Last edited by earlofmar; 08/19/13 09:07 PM.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
More comments

CMohr – Making a complex piece sound simple and relaxed is a great skill, so you have to be congratulated for making it sound effortless.

Mr Super-Hunky – Can this be called noodling, I really don’t think so. What a gift to be able to listen to a piece and re-construct it with your own interpretation. I was half hoping to hear another one of your original works but was not disappointed with this presentation.

SamS – I never really understood Chopin but when I hear such a wonderful piece as this and being played so beautifully I have to just stop and admire. If there were any mistakes I was swept past them I was so engrossed in this, thankyou.

aTallGuyNH – One of Mr Joel’s best works a true original. I didn’t hear any of what you were thinking so missed the “b flat” rant. Sounded very cool and warm, cool in the sense that you played it with style and warm in the sense you took me back to a younger time.

CarlosCC – A very effecting piece all credit must be given to your sensitive playing. An enviable talent to be able to transcribe and improvise from a lead sheet and end up with such beauty.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
SwissMs - wow it's amazing you were playing only 6 or 7 years. Good job putting it together beautifully.

Sam S Nocturne Opus 37/1 - I heard this nocturne so many times this year. From a professional and studio-mate. It's not an easy piece at all. I especially loved your muted yet defined left hand. It's tricky that way. It must be tough to maintain the concentration for this piece. However, you have executed many hard spots very well.

CASINITALY (Cheryl) First loss - I noticed that you have tried many musical experiments in this little gem like piece. Loved the sudden attack and beautiful pose. There seems to be an attempt to accent the first note of the four note runs? I thought it was cool. If you want to make it sound interesting, you could have played similar yet different themes a little bit differently so that we hear the sadness plays out .. Of course you can totally ignore it since I'm the type who cries out loud publicly.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 Your doing fine yester. I was left wanting to hear more.

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger Wow Allan. What's not to love with just about everything on this one. Absolutely gorgeous playing, great sounding piano, and a great recording too. I loved the dreamy rolling chords too. Fantastic.

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" i really enjoyed this performance CMohr. You put a certain 'slinky' feel into this piece that I can envision playing. Great job with this.

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 This was great stumbler. I clearly heard your attention to the dynamics down to the subtle details. You tried very hard with this performance and it shows.

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) This has a very relaxing and flowing feel to it TJ. Great playing as always with even better written descriptions.

36. timmyab - Sonata in C K545 Of course this piece was instantly recognizable and you did a wonderful job with it. Very impressive trills and overall performance. I thought I was in a fancy car showroom.

37. Monica K. - Discovery at Night Once again another wonderful Einaudi performance from you Monica. Did I hear a little bass growl midway through?...yes I did and you know I love that! You have great control and of course the Mason makes things sound even better. Also, don't change anything with your room acoustics. You seemed to have nailed that too!

38. JimF - Canon in D Minor I'm not familiar with this piece but you performed it nicely. My only comment is as you mention the recording sounded a bit 'distant'. That's easily corrected however.

39. Sandy - Consolation Nice job with this Sandy. My favorite part was the deep chord progression. Very dramatic.

40. Jake S - Gnossienne No.1 I couldn't have said it better myself Jake in that this piece is both haunting and strangely beautiful. You did a superb job with this performance and conveyed the dramatic dynamics very well. Nicely done.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
07. lyricmudra - Nocturne in F-Sharp Major, Op. 15 No. 2 Wow, those ornaments are so beautiful, relaxed, and graceful. And your phrasing is exquisite.

08. SwissMS/Doris - Arabesque 1 I love this piece! (It's on the top of my piano, maybe the next on my list to learn.) You played it beautifully. If you want to see a very cool visualization of this music, check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6s49OKp6aE

09. Sam S - Nocturne Opus 37/1 Wow, those LH jumps in the A section look like they could give you a real work out. And all those ornaments! Overall, quite impressive. I especially like the B section with all the block chords.

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - First Loss Beautiful opening section, and I really like the way you handled the overlapping melodic lines about half way through. Nice use of the pedal to tie it all together.

11. Inlanding - Glen - Gnossienne No 1 I love your interpretation of this piece. You do a great job conveying that dark, mysterious feel that can be found in many of Satie's pieces. I'd love to hear you play some of his other Gnossiennes.

12. Peyton - Message From Space: Part Four- A Journey to the Far Side of the World Very contemplative. The video was great; I enjoyed seeing your artwork alongside the music. (I had to smile at the white dog.) The panning motion was kind of a tease, as I found myself wanting to see the entire pieces; I ended up checking out your web site.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
CMohr
piece: You've Changed
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R: ok
noise: no
bass: the bass is not so great on this piano.
depth of field: little
piano sound: quite nasal. Would fit a 'smoky jazz' style piece :-)

musical:
overall impression, like: I'm not really into this style, but overall it sounds quite relaxed and smooth. Congrats on composing this yourself! The melody line is coming through clear. The rythm stays quite clear and stable. There are a few small hicksups around 1:15, they break the flow there.
Comparing to a recital a year or so ago, you made nice progress, congratulations!
In my ears, I'm missing some of the jazz swing and some 'drama', after all this is a not-so-happy song, the 'change' is not in the way the singer would like .... The speed is also maybe too high, and too 'upright'.
It's very hard for me to go further than this since I have hardly any knowledge in the jazz area. I tried to find a good version on the web to get an idea of this song, but a lot does not sound so good, so this apparently sounds easy but is hard to play really good. You do good compared to most attempts. I prefer yours a lot over billy holiday's where a big classic orchestra in the background seems totally out of place in my ears :-)
Phrasing: I think the phrases could be separated a little clearer. Maybe the singing voice could take a small break between each line? Shape the melody more as a human voice would?
rubato, speed changes: seems speeding up towards the end. Tempo starts at the right speed but at end seems too fast for this lament.
Dynamics: could use more, depending on where you want to take this. I can imagine you want this lament to stay a bit subdued in which case it's fine as it is.
articulation: Mostly pedal. I like it that you are experimenting a bit with the pedal, and make some 'dryer' parts, such as the end where you keep the bottom legato while playing some staccato chords. Could use some more I think! But of course it should fit the character of the piece.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
A
43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4
What a sweet melody. I think your touch is just right for this.

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel)
I feel it would have been better to fade out the running water as your piano picked up the melody. Especially the softer parts are overpowered by the not-quite-background water sounds. That's a shame, because your playing is very good.

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D
The bass sounds a bit off, which might be an issue with your instrument. To me it's a little distracting from your delicate melody. Still, it's a nice bit of doodling smile

46. joangolfing - Little Bird
I first heard this when listening to the other pieces from the Opus I'll be playing from for the Grieg recital. This one seemed technically challenging (and musically not to my taste, but that's hardly important). Timing is essential here. The bird sounds need to follow logically rather than seemingly random. You are closer to the former than the latter, fortunately, but it could be even better.

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door
I'm unfamiliar with this song - not much of a musical guy - but it sounds like you've added quite a bit of ornamentation. The melody could probably be brought out a bit more in the middle section. I constantly had the feeling that I don't understand the music.

48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G
Playing the same song in a different key isn't exactly easy, but you talk like it was no problem! I got to say, I do like it the way you play now. Maybe you could vary the chords a bit; they are built up rather repetitively. For example, in the second minute, it's 1-2-3-4-5 all the way through.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dainas No. 3
You do much better than your describe! Looks like you got the fingering and timing just right, as I couldn't hear any problems whatsoever.

50. Copper - Variation No. 14
Variation 14 to what? Adding a little description would be nice smile

51. Lady_Augustina - The North Sea
Cool bass smile I'd like to hear the melody stand out a bit more at the start. I understand it's supposed to be softer than the rest of the piece, but perhaps the left hand could be even soft-y-er.

52. WJ3 / Walt - Solace A Mexican Serenade (1909)
The score may be simplified with fewer notes, but the rhythm still seems rather tough. Joplin is never easy. You did a good job.

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather)
Bruu-yeah-ruh, I think. No idea what it means. You play some nice Debussy, regardless of pronounciation.

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1
You play this sonatina beautifully. Would sound even better on a grand - the upright lacks some strength in the high notes.

55. BenPiano - Nefeli
I was sad that there would be no more Einaudi this recital. Then you appeared with a piece I don't know yet. This sounds very good. What album/book is this from?

56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major
Mozart makes for a fitting end to the recital. I suspect this piece could be played a little faster. Then again, it's already short, so probably a wise choice.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
26. dynamobt/ Marilyn - The Seasons, June - The melody is just beautiful, Marilyn. And for one year of experience only, it's very nice. Congrats!

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest Moon - That's the right piece to start dancing, Cathy! Nice rhythm and very enjoyable. Good job!

28. ClavBoy - Minuet in D minor - I've special attention to self-learning performers, because I know exactly what it means... It's hard and sometimes demotivating, isn't it? But, this Minuet shows that you're in the right way. Good job, ClavBoy.

29. (Was) TrueBeginner - Childhood Memories - I admire you because you can always send original pieces in almost all recitals. It's a good way of developing your skills. The sound could be a little better, but that does not matter at all. Congratulations!

30. daveindenton - Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing - I think this piece is very well played and you have an amazing ability, Dave. This music is very cheerful and "cool". Liked it a lot!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

23. Serge88 - Manha de Carnaval
Nice work, Serge, you've got the bossa thing down pat. Nice relaxed feel to this, very listenable, very smooth, good timing.

24. Anne H - Julia arr. by Phillip Keveren
Welcome to the recital, Anne. You are off to a good start. You play with excellent touch and feeling. I hope you continue to participate.

25. Dumik - Chopin nocturne Op. 9 No. 2
The quintessential recital piece! I have always loved it, wish I could do it justice, as you have. You are certainly doing well for six months of experience, this is not an easy piece of music. Well done.

27. jotur/Cathy Turner - Shine On Harvest Moon
I had forgotten, if I ever knew, that this song had a verse, and as you played it I was wondering if you had uploaded the wrong file. Then I noticed that in fact I liked what you were playing, whatever it was. So by the time you got to the chorus a kind of tension had built up, then the wonderful release as you launched into that oh-so-familiar and pleasing tune. This senior liked it just fine, jaunty enough for me. Well done.

More later.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
41. MrPozor - Waltz in B minor This is a delightful performance of this waltz. You really captured the melody well, with great phrasing and subtle rubato. If I had one suggestion it would be to work on the left hand which should have a little less emphasis on the second and third beats. As you mention, it's hard to get the jumps but this is the next stage. Later you might like Chopin's waltz in B minor that is similar but a little harder.

42. CarlosCC - Life ("Live from home" version) Well, it's clear to see why you got called through to the finals of your company's competition. You really breath life into this music, making it move forward, roll on and not get dragged backwards by the repetition. I enjoyed it very much, which for Einaudi is saying something! wink

43. Valencia - The Angel, Op. 30 No. 4 This is a beautiful piece which you play very nicely with great tenderness and feeling. You phrase the piece well, building up very naturally and will gentle small phrases. I think you could work on the chords in the same way and really make the whole thing shine but it works really well as it is.

44. ladypayne - Canon (Pachelbel) Hmm, not a fan of the waterfall and bird song ... but the arrangement of the Canon was really good. You played that well and I loved some of the interplay with the bass and melody. I would have liked it "naked!"

45. Sand Tiger - Avenue D This is a nice improvisation and it is played well; you have a nice feel for how the piece progresses for the most part though I sensed a little bit of randomness that will probably take time to work out.

46. joangolfing - Little Bird Sneak preview of the Grieg recital! This is a beautiful performance; very intricate but I think you got the phrasing just right. And it really does feel very birdlike. The changes between legato and staccato are excellently done.

47. Mar_red - Close Every Door I enjoyed this a lot. It's a great melody and you do a nice job of working around the lead sheet for it. I would perhaps make the melody line a little clearer since it's so important but I really liked the accompaniment, just balance it a teeny bit more in favor of the vocal line.

48. Mile Hi Steve - Joy in G Well, I can't remember Joy in C but this works well. It is a nice arrangement of the Bach theme, with some nice rhythmic touches which would either have him smiling or rolling in his grave. Probably the former. I enjoyed it a lot!

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dainas No. 3 This is a nice piece; you play it with great feeling - the rhythmic changes were well done. The melody was nicely shaped and overall it was a lovely performance.

50. Copper - Variation No. 14 Beautiful, tender, wonderful. I really enjoyed this Mendellsohn miniature, you play it so naturally and it flows really nicely.

Kawai K3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
31. yester - 5 little preludes No. 1 - BWV 939 - Yester, I'm not a Bach expert but I think you did a good job with this prelude. Nicely done, congrats!

32. Allan W. - Wind Scene - Chrono Trigger - Wow, I love this Zohar arrangement! And your playing is fantastic, full of confidence and full of expression. Now, it's time to learn the last variation. Very good, Allan!

33. CMohr - "You've Changed" - Cmohr, the melody is just beautiful, and you did an amazing job with this arrangement underlining the beauty of the piece. A touching performance.

34. stumbler - A Lenda Do Caboclo W166 - Stumbler, "Caboclo" is a Portuguese-Brazilian term and means a person mixed of Indigenous Brazilian and European. "Lenda" is a story or legend. As a Portuguese I've some contact with the Brazilian culture and I've some knowledge about their music so I knew the name of Villa-Boas but this piece is new for me. I think you did a good job in this (far from easy!) piece. Well done!

35. TrapperJohn - Medley: Drink With Me/Do You Hear The People Sing? (from Les Miserables) - What a lovely medley, Trapper! Thanks again for all the information about the "Les Miserables". I can see how you enjoy this. Thanks for sharing, good Job!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
To earlofmar and CarlosCC who commented about my 1 year experience. It's one year of lessons since returning to play the most recent time. I took a couple of years' lessons abut 10 years ago. And then, there were all the lessons as a kid. I wasn't sure how to answer the question of experience. I really have years of experience. But, many years inbetween things that I didn't play at all. Thank you for your comments.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Sigh, what do I do now?! My last batch:

51. Lady_Augustina - The North Sea This is a great piece and you play it really well. I can tell you have it "inside" you - it just seems you need to let it out, and there it is. Very good control of the bass line, uniform but not boring. Nice shaping of the melody over the top. I liked it!

52. WJ3 / Walt - Solace A Mexican Serenade (1909) I'd really like to hear this on a real piano, it's difficult to tell anything from the midi-mp3 sound generation. You have a good rhythm but there is no phrasing I could hear and I'm sure that's the piano sound, not the playing. Nice tempo change to the slower tempo.

53. carlos88 - Bruyeres (Heather) Trying to go through these preludes is a big challenge but I suspect it will be a wonderful one. I love Debussy and you obviously have a feel for his piano pieces - this is played with a lot of contrast, variety, freedom but also constrained. I really liked the softer passages where you really created such a wonderful sound. Beautiful.

54. AimeeO - Sonatina Op. 55, no. 1 I like these Kuhlau sonatinas - I did Opus 55, number 2 but I might tackle this too. I thought you did a great job. Very simple performances but nicely shaping the phrases with good rhythmic changes. There are several mood changes that you bring out very well.

55. BenPiano - Nefeli (to do) Well, as you know I'm not the World's biggest fan of Einaudi but as I was listening, I thought this is like Einaudi but better. Not sure if it's the piece but your playing is really helping here. There is a little bit of variation right where it matters - small rhythmic shifts and dynamic changes that really bring out the melody nicely.

56. Ohio_Mark - Minuet in F Major Perfect conclusion to a recital - Mozart. This is a gem of a minuet and you play it very well. I would aim for some more dynamic changes, particularly on the repeated elements just to add some extra polish to it.

Kawai K3
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
A few more before I put in some work getting my operating system upgraded. I hate that kind of stuff laugh

26. dynamobt/Marilyn – The Seasons – I really enjoyed this. You had its essence down pat – nice variations between parts of it.

24. Anne H – Julia – very lyrical. Congratulations on your first ABF recital. It’s wonderful to be back at piano, isn’t it?

20. path/Patrick Hollstein – Der tanzende Schwan – What a mature composition! Well done, and well-played. I like it that there were several different moods.

18. Mr Super-Hunky – Rain – as usual, you nailed the feeling – and we need the rain! All your work and noodling pays off in a wonderful fluency and comfort with your music.

16. Richard (zrtf90) – Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth – What an ambitious project, and you dealt with it spectacularly. What a satisfying challenge it must have been. A beautiful piece, beautifully played.

casinitaly, dynamobt, SwissMS, Monica K., I'm glad you all enjoyed it - it's a fairly simply piece, and the verse is just such a great stereotype of 1908 music laugh

Riddler - here's a recording from the Library of Congress National Jukebox, with the verse (and yes, casinitaly, there's some syncopation remoniscent of ragtime):

Arthur Pryor's band

I think it's interesting that it's listed as a Barn Dance, which I think of as a schottish in this context.

And I love the National Jukebox smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission