2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 26 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 25 26
V
V
the fp80 is perhaps the best value of any piano today. it is not inferior to the 700-nx which is often assumed. even the speakers sound good which is a rarity.

Oops. Brain fart, pardon my French. I meant the keybed on the kawai is quieter. It's got a little more felt for cushioning is why. Are the overtones as apparent or even threre if the sound is through monitors instead of through the on board speakers? Anyone?

Roland FP90 and a 1971 Yamaha C3
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Off Topic: how come Anjru is allowed to say 'fart' but I'm not allowed to say the opposite of heaven (it comes out as 'heck' here)? This is not fair.....plus the indiscriminate use of this word (FART in case anyone missed it the first or second time round) has completely spoiled my supper. Rank inconsideration!

There are some extraordinary prohibitions and caps on word usage these days online. Ironic really when you think about it, isn't it? There was an article in the Economist a few years ago now, where the author said that people had objected to the newspaper's use of words such as 'niggard' and 'spic & span'. Totally absurd.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by toddy
There was an article in the Economist a few years ago now, where the author said that people had objected to the newspaper's use of words such as 'niggard' and 'spic & span'. Totally absurd.

Niggardly has been a persistent problem in our language, causing lots of undue problems in recent years. It's a relatively rare word and people unfamiliar with it think it's related to the racial slur. It comes from a completely different root, actually.

Last edited by gvfarns; 08/14/13 04:22 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, that's right (niggardly is an old English word from Scandinavian, apparently) and it is understandable that it causes some embarrassment, I suppose.

Be that as it may, I strongly object to this general tendency - in the US & UK - not so much in Europe - to treat certain words as taboo as if the word itself is somehow evil. It isn't: people are - or rather, people can have malicious intentions or a heart full of hatred. Words are neutral, and banning them doesn't help anything. It just makes people angry and real racists and sexists stew dangerously in their own juice.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
ps, I'm delighted to see we're allowed 'fart' without being censored.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
[Linked Image]

P
P
I haven't heard any superfluous overtones (or even farts) after a couple of weeks of playing. Using Tannoy monitors mostly I can't even imagine what's it like.
And yes, the ES-7 keybed is softer if it is the right word, more cushioning indeed. But I can't say it's quieter, I think the loudness is the same, but with the higher frequency of the bump-tone.
I also think the PHA-III "hard bottom" feeling is related to that nice push-out you get while fast strong passages, so it couldn't be avoided. It can be felt like unnatural without sound on (or SuperNatural?))) but you'll forget of it as soon as you turn it on.
FP-80 is good really for me so far.

Last edited by Petro; 08/14/13 06:10 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Sounds good, Petro. It's nice they've slightly reduced the noise of the PHAIII keyboard, while retaining the feel. I was in a music shop today, trying various dps - the Roland HP503 definitely had the best feeling keyboard as far as I'm concerned - Yamaha GH and Kawai (as well as the cheaper Yammy GHS and Roland G-Feel) are relatively gluey. So there we go - just confirms my prejudices when I make these trips to the shops! smile

Maybe i was allowed to write brain fart Because right afterwards I said pardon my French?

Once a bot eliminated my cocktail and turned it into just tail. A little embarrassing for a first date request.

Roland FP90 and a 1971 Yamaha C3
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Gosh, yes! .....it ran like this, did it: 'My dearest Martina, you will be amazed with my homemade tail (which, though I say it myself, packs one helluva punch). But you will find all this out when I gladly demonstrate for you at the bar tonight'

Those bots have got a nerve.

P
P
Well... Finally I got the overtone too in my FP-80. All of a sudden on the middle C#... sounded as an obvious glitch. I think it happens if some mysterious parameters of SN synthesis just coincide in some special way.
No problem at all though - it would disappear as soon as I just change the settings from piano to others and then back.

I got a second chance to A/B the FP-80 and the ES-7 yesterday. I would call the action of ES-7 again as very good and quite close to acoustic. And FP-80 as very good and ... SPECIAL. It IS faster in passages and more responsive in nuances,.. so it suits me fine. Considering the difference in price (in Europe) I've been torturing myself in hesitations for possible outrageous expenses since I bought the FP-80...
Just happy now.

So, if you are in the torments of choice - never believe to anyone (me too) - try both actions yuorself for as long as possible before deciding, they are very different and both are worth to try. The right choice is really depending on your skill and needs.

T
T
Review of the Roland FP80.

"Nice for the price"

Tim has a grudge against Roland.

http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/2013...al-piano-fp50-portable-lowest-price.html

Last edited by Todd Bellows; 08/18/13 10:45 PM.
T
T
Originally Posted by Todd Bellows
Review of the Roland FP80.

"Nice for the price"

http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/2013...al-piano-fp50-portable-lowest-price.html

I am somewhat puzzled by your assertion that the website/owner you linked to has some type of grudge against Roland, given his favorable review, and these closing comments:

If you want a fun, easy to use, good sounding, nice feeling digital piano with a variety of useable, high quality features in a well made compact cabinet at a reasonable price, I would definitely recommend the Roland FP80, which is offered in both a satin black and satin white finish.

Sorry, I just don't see it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

May I ask why you feel that?

Having read Tim's review, it seems to be an honest account of a very good digital piano.

Cheers,
James
x

EDIT: Tritium beat me to it. wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James

May I ask why you feel that?

May I answer too? )))

I agree with Todd - the review is subjective and provocative. It has a direct link in its body to ES-7 review where we find what? " ES7 is a winner for its size, price range, and features..." etc etc...
I would've believed to Tim's honesty, the choice is subjective indeed, but that link betrayed his intrusive command "the best of the best is ES-7". And the link is placed in the beginning of the article, which is absolutely inexplicable for an independent author.

Rather tricky isn't it? These days one should read carefully the "independent reviews" as well, trying all the options himself ALWAYS whatever they push him to buy...

Last edited by Petro; 08/19/13 07:26 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
This is, for Tim Praskins, an extremely favourable review for a Roland instrument. With the last generation of Roland pianos, he gave withering reviews. If I had taken much notice of them, I wouldn't even have tried Roland's stuff. It was a similar story with that London based bloke - UK Pianos: Rolands are overpriced and terribly noisy, and only ever just ok in terms of sound (except RD700NX). But he doesn't like Kawai either - only Classenti and Yamaha.

P
P
Well, we shouldn't blame them,.. moreover, having noticed the strange behavior of some reviewers we pushed to find out more by own experience and as a result to obtain the free choice in fine.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Petro
Well, we shouldn't blame them

Perhaps we shouldn't but we just have: 'subjective and provocative', you said, 'withering', I said. I don't see the problem in nailing your colours to the mast. These guys are canny operators.

P
P
Originally Posted by toddy
These guys are canny operators.
)) I think they are not anymore.
I mean, being so obviously biased they do more of a hindrance than a help to their favorites and help us to understand the roots of that cunning business, so... forewarned is forearmed.

Page 19 of 26 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission