Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
86 registered members (Bett, accordeur, Alex873, ando, beet31425, Beowulf, AaronSF, 16 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Feurich????? #1957822
09/12/12 10:40 AM
09/12/12 10:40 AM
S
SuzyQz Offline OP
SuzyQz  Offline OP
S

I remember playing a Feurich in high school and loving it. I'm piano shopping now and honestly looking at mostly American brands. But, I thought for kicks I'd look and see if there was a Feurich to play to see if I still like it. The closest dealer is a 5h drive away.

As I researched the company, it seems like they've gone through growing pains the past few years (like many other companies). Evidently some pianos are made in Germany and some at their factory in China. I read the article in the Spring 2012 Piano Buyer... Their website lists a few models but gives very little data about their sizes and no information about pricing. Furthermore, I see the company listed in Fine's profiles in the Fall Piano Buyer but not in the price listings or the rankings.

Could anybody shed some light on what's going on with Feurich? Are they still making quality pianos? If so, what size and price range (I don't need exact prices, but I'm curious if we are talking $25-50K. $50-100K or >$100K.

I guess I'm also trying to figure out if it's worth driving to Chicago to check them out...

Last edited by SuzyQz; 09/12/12 10:41 AM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Feurich????? [Re: SuzyQz] #1957860
09/12/12 11:58 AM
09/12/12 11:58 AM
Fairfield County, CT
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member
BoseEric  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Fairfield County, CT
Hi SuzyQz!

Feurich is VERY MUCH in operation, offering a hand made in Germany line (2 grands and 2 verticals) and a line made to Feurich specifications in Ningbo china.

Visit www.feurichusa.com and see the newly (finally) updated site at www.feurich.com

At risk of offending the Committee for State Security of Non-Commercial Content* I'll give you some more information off line.

*a joke!

Re: Feurich????? [Re: SuzyQz] #1957865
09/12/12 12:13 PM
09/12/12 12:13 PM
California
T
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thrill Science  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

California
There's a guy I follow on YouTube who plays and records on one (with a pair of Charter Oak condensers). He has the 218 with a special 4th "harmonic pedal" added.

Granted, it's hard to tell much from YouTube audio, but here's a good example of a professional, advanced classical pianist who plays a Feurich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhaix_WJv9k&feature=g-u-u

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
Re: Feurich????? [Re: Thrill Science] #2130995
08/10/13 07:43 PM
08/10/13 07:43 PM
A
andal Offline
andal  Offline
A

Yeah, when it comes time for me to get an acoustic grand piano I am thinking of getting a Feurich 218 with the harmonic pedal simply because of all the Paul Barton videos.

Re: Feurich????? [Re: SuzyQz] #2131150
08/11/13 08:27 AM
08/11/13 08:27 AM
Sevenoaks, UK
W
williambonard Offline
williambonard  Offline
W

Sevenoaks, UK
SuzyQz, I'm in exactly the same position as you right now. I'm looking around to buy a grand piano and Feurich caught my eye. I've never played one before but I hope to go up to London in the next few weeks to play one at a piano showroom (note: I am looking at one of the last true German hand-made Feurichs from the Gunzenhausen factory).

Bare with me here, I'll probably go into a lot of detail and type lots. Much has gone on with Feurich over the past fews years, I've learnt. Feurich, predominantly was a true German brand all hand-crafted to high standards and specifications. About a year or two ago came the venture between Feurich and Wendl & Lung (Hailun). Thus meaning both brands would trade under the Feurich brand name with a separate Chinese line of Feurichs and the traditional hand-made in Germany line of Feurichs - this didn't quite happen.

Wendl & Lungs are not made any more under that name, hence the merge with Feurich and most new Feurichs you see nowadays are the Wendl & Lung models branded with the Feurich stamp (to keep it brief and simple). These pianos, whilst very good pianos, are not made in Germany and have no affiliation with being hand-crafted in Germany to any degree whatsoever. They are, however, very good and stable performance grade pianos.

Now, for the next part: a short while ago, Julius Feurich (the owner of the original Feurich brand) decided to split from the venture with Wendl & Lung and continue his own brand of true German hand-crafted Feurichs. However, he could not do this under the Feurich name as when merged with Wendl & Lung, all copyrights for the brand name were included in the sale and the Feurich (Chinese pianos) are the only pianos that operate under this name now.

However, Julius' business was set-up and he still builds the same pianos that he always did, however they are now branded 'JF' (my guess being after 'Julius Feurich' - very inventive...). Here's the link to the website: http://www.jf-pianos.com/ I think soon as the output is so small, the chance of finding a dealer who stocks the JF line of pianos is near to zero. If you so desperately would like to try or buy one I suggest contacting Julius Feurich himself and arranging a trip to Germany.

I hope all of this makes sense and if there are any other questions you would like to ask, then please do not hesitate :-)

Venables & Son Academy-168 grand piano
Aspiring concert pianist
Re: Feurich????? [Re: SuzyQz] #2131154
08/11/13 08:37 AM
08/11/13 08:37 AM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Minnesota Marty  Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Rochester MN
Ummm - I don't think that SuzyQz is still active in the forum. This thread ended about a year ago.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Re: Feurich????? [Re: SuzyQz] #2131215
08/11/13 11:35 AM
08/11/13 11:35 AM
Sevenoaks, UK
W
williambonard Offline
williambonard  Offline
W

Sevenoaks, UK
Oh... I just read the date of the last post before mine and assumed it was a new post - my mistake!

All that typing and effort for nothing :-( maybe it'll prove use to someone else who comes across the post.

Venables & Son Academy-168 grand piano
Aspiring concert pianist
Re: Feurich????? [Re: williambonard] #2131679
08/12/13 09:55 AM
08/12/13 09:55 AM
A
andal Offline
andal  Offline
A

It's useful to me. smile Thanks for the info.

What is different in an asian-manufactured grand vs. a german-manufactured one? I'd like to get a feel for if the Feurich 218 being produced in asia is "real" negative or more of a preference-negative.

Re: Feurich????? [Re: andal] #2131794
08/12/13 12:30 PM
08/12/13 12:30 PM
A
andal Offline
andal  Offline
A

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for Feurich dealers? They seem pretty sparse.

Re: Feurich????? [Re: SuzyQz] #2131836
08/12/13 01:38 PM
08/12/13 01:38 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Bose Eric:

Which of the present 'Feurich" models are still being 'handcrafted' in Gunzenhausen?

Feurich's website seems to indicate the pianos are actually built in Ningbo China [Hailun]

http://www.feurich.com/team-of-experts/joerg-hauser/

To add confusion, 'contact' information leads to Vienna, not Germany.

http://www.feurich.com/special/contact-us/

In addition, the flagship model 218 appears to be exact same as Hailun's 218 7' grand. [VERY nice piano!]

http://hailun-pianos.com/products/grand-pianos/piano/8/grand_model_hg_218.html

Also designed by "Stephen Paulello"

http://www.feurichusa.com/index.php/m-series/11-ningbo-models/13-model-218-grand

There's no pictures of the Gunzenhausen factory on Feurich's most updated website, would it be possible to visit there as going to Germany soon?

Are the German models 100% made in Germany from scratch or are they pre-manufactured, i.e. 'back-strung' in China first?

Glad to report things happening there after...

Thanks in advance!

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 08/12/13 01:59 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Feurich????? [Re: SuzyQz] #2131975
08/12/13 05:40 PM
08/12/13 05:40 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Just realizing that a Chinese apprentice/trainee at J.F. Pianomanufaktur [owned by Julius Feurich] won 2nd place in German national tuning competition.

http://www.jf-pianos.com/neuigkeiten.html

Several other Chinese nationals being currently trained in Ludwigsburg "Meisterschule" meaning they will leave [or stay..] with coveted, internationally renowned German "Meister" title.

Times are indeed a'changing...

Norbert

www.heritagepianos.com
604-951-8642
Re: Feurich????? [Re: Norbert] #2132019
08/12/13 07:37 PM
08/12/13 07:37 PM
UK
Frankni Offline
Frankni  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Norbert
Bose Eric:

Which of the present 'Feurich" models are still being 'handcrafted' in Gunzenhausen?

Feurich's website seems to indicate the pianos are actually built in Ningbo China [Hailun]

http://www.feurich.com/team-of-experts/joerg-hauser/

To add confusion, 'contact' information leads to Vienna, not Germany.

http://www.feurich.com/special/contact-us/

In addition, the flagship model 218 appears to be exact same as Hailun's 218 7' grand. [VERY nice piano!]

http://hailun-pianos.com/products/grand-pianos/piano/8/grand_model_hg_218.html

Also designed by "Stephen Paulello"

http://www.feurichusa.com/index.php/m-series/11-ningbo-models/13-model-218-grand

There's no pictures of the Gunzenhausen factory on Feurich's most updated website, would it be possible to visit there as going to Germany soon?

Are the German models 100% made in Germany from scratch or are they pre-manufactured, i.e. 'back-strung' in China first?

Glad to report things happening there after...

Thanks in advance!

Norbert smile

I happen to have been near Ningbo last year (in fact, in Xikou, where Chiang Kai-Shek was born). It is not far from Shanghai, one has just to cross one of the world's longest bridges. I am planing to go to Shanghai again next year, so who knows .... If I go there, and I have time to visit some Chinese piano factory, I will surely write a report here.

On another note, while in Shanghai I may visit also some of the up-market hotels which have acquired some Sauter Vivace models -- as I was told.

Last edited by Frankni; 08/12/13 07:41 PM.

Yamaha C3, Sauter Delta 185
Re: Feurich????? [Re: SuzyQz] #2132021
08/12/13 07:49 PM
08/12/13 07:49 PM
UK
Frankni Offline
Frankni  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by SuzyQz
I remember playing a Feurich in high school and loving it. I'm piano shopping now and honestly looking at mostly American brands. But, I thought for kicks I'd look and see if there was a Feurich to play to see if I still like it. The closest dealer is a 5h drive away.

As I researched the company, it seems like they've gone through growing pains the past few years (like many other companies). Evidently some pianos are made in Germany and some at their factory in China. I read the article in the Spring 2012 Piano Buyer... Their website lists a few models but gives very little data about their sizes and no information about pricing. Furthermore, I see the company listed in Fine's profiles in the Fall Piano Buyer but not in the price listings or the rankings.

Could anybody shed some light on what's going on with Feurich? Are they still making quality pianos? If so, what size and price range (I don't need exact prices, but I'm curious if we are talking $25-50K. $50-100K or >$100K.

I guess I'm also trying to figure out if it's worth driving to Chicago to check them out...

As far as I am aware we are talking about for a Feurich concert grand 218 in the order of 16-20k£. Ridiculously cheap. I played on a Feurich piano not long ago. They are not bad.

Last edited by Frankni; 08/12/13 07:50 PM.

Yamaha C3, Sauter Delta 185
Re: Feurich????? [Re: SuzyQz] #2132037
08/12/13 08:35 PM
08/12/13 08:35 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Frankni:

While at Ningbo next time, see if you can catch some other "German" pianos being built there.

Er..."European"....sorry

Wondering how long this "hide-and-seek game" in the industry will last..

Isn't it nice to have some "honestly Chinese built pianos"??

[actually with genuine German made parts... wow ]

Norbert help

Last edited by Norbert; 08/12/13 08:54 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
604-951-8642
Re: Feurich????? [Re: williambonard] #2132075
08/12/13 11:06 PM
08/12/13 11:06 PM
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Supply  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by williambonard
...However, Julius' business was set-up and he still builds the same pianos that he always did, however they are now branded 'JF' (my guess being after 'Julius Feurich' - very inventive...). Here's the link to the website: http://www.jf-pianos.com/ I think soon as the output is so small, the chance of finding a dealer who stocks the JF line of pianos is near to zero....

The US distributor for JF Pianos (formerly Feurich) is
Frank P Hennessy RPT.
hennessymusicfh@aol.com
(941) 451-1502

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The first timbre evaluation App in the world!
by Luoswave. 11/17/18 11:25 PM
Curriculum of techniques for various levels?
by cathryn999. 11/17/18 10:25 PM
Ever heard of Yamaha SCLP-5450??
by Sean L. 11/17/18 09:39 PM
Disobedient pinkies & lazy thumbs
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/17/18 08:06 PM
Modulation
by Alex873. 11/17/18 07:26 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,392
Posts2,762,089
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission