2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2131451 08/11/13 10:52 PM
Norbert Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Just returning from long trip, visiting a number of major dealers.

Time to bring some life back here again. ha

One thing I noticed is the curious, consistent but somewhat "odd" "combination of brands" commonly offered by dealers.

Here's the question:

How many Steinway dealers out there offer also such makes as Fazioli, C.Bechstein, Boesendorfer, Grotrian, Sauter and/or even Estonia?

If not, why not?

How many dealers for Japanese pianos offer not just some low grade Chinese pianos as cost alternative but also some of the better ones such a Brodmann, Ritmueller Hailun and Perzina?

Obviously no single Yamaha dealer offering Kawai, vice versa.
"Obvious" - but obvious "why"?

Is side-by-side comparison by shoppers actively and "preventatively" being discouraged by market?

"Too dangerous" for dealers for name brand products expected to sell by "brand name" only?

Just like car dealers - can one really blame them?

Now, don't ask me what else I found by visiting the various dealers on my trip. To be honest, nothing I didn't know before.

Start shooting.

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 08/12/13 01:51 AM.

Online Content
The answer to the question and the motivation for the question(just pushing the same endlessly repeated agenda)are obvious. In fact, the post is just restating something Norbert has stated about a thousand times in the past but rephrasing it as a question.

Perhaps the shoe should be put on the other foot and one should ask something like:
Why don't some Sauter dealers stock other Tier 1 pianos or why don't some Estonia dealers stock some other Tier 2 pianos?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/12/13 07:07 AM.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Steinway dealers are not allowed to carry other high end brands, as far as I know.

S
S
Ellenburger here

Representing Shigeru Kawai, Kawai, Hailun, Pearl River, Kawai Digital Pianos, Samick Digitals, Roland Digitals, & Lowrey Organs
St. Louis Metro Area
www.lacefieldmusic.com
find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lacefieldmusic
Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Stephen:

Pearl River and Hailun are mentioned in your signature but not in your website.

Have they recently been replaced by Ellenburgers?

Norbert wink

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Norbert, I suspect that part of the answer has to do with the depth of the piano market where each dealer is located. The scenario you suggest is not uncommon in Germany, but then, not only is the population concentrated, but piano studies are much more common than here in the Western Hemisphere. One of my favorite dealers, Oberlingers, located just NW of Mainz and Wiesbaden, carried many tier 1 brands, and had them on the floor side by side. They had (I put this in the past tense, because I haven't been there in 10 years) Steinways, Bechsteins, Bosendorfers, Schimmels, Sauters, Kawaii, Young Chang, and others who now slip my memory.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Stephen Lacefield
Ellenburger here

The good jokes never die...

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
John:

Your experience with dealers in Germany is similar like mine, here's 3 examples of interesting diversity:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/grand_pianos.html

http://www.piano-fischer.de/musikinstrumente/marken.html

http://www.musik-klier.de/indexCat.asp?pg=250&c=klaviere

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 08/12/13 12:51 AM.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Norbert,

Did your deliberately misspell "shooting"? "Schooting" sounds more German. grin

Your question CAN be construed as a subtle form of horn-blowing. However, I'm still new to this forum and am not yet a hardened cynic, thus I will give your the benefit of the doubt - this time! grin

With the exception of very small markets, Steinway insist that their dealers carry only Steinway piano lines. However, there is nothing to prevent a non-Steinway dealer from allowing their customers to audition used and rebuilt Steinways alongside their new Faziolis, Bechsteins, Estonias, etc.

Kawai and Yamaha do not require their franchisees to carry their brands exclusively, thus there are plenty of non-exclusive Kawai and Yamaha dealers. Some of these dealers carry some of the better Chinese/Korean pianos (Brodmann, Hailun, Weber, etc.) alongside Yamaha and Kawai models. There are even dealers that carry both Kawai and Yamaha digital pianos (e.g., Allegro Pianos). However, I do not have personal knowledge of a dealer that carries both Kawai and Yamaha new acoustic pianos. As you are a piano retailer, can YOU tell us why?

There are a few - very few - non-Steinway high-end dealers that carry one brand exclusively. Kasimoff Piano, the Bluthner dealer in Los Angeles, is the only example that I know of.

However, there are plenty of piano dealers that carry several performance-grade makes that directly compete with each other. Some prominent examples would be:

Allegro Pianos in NYC & Stamford, Connecticut (Bluthner, Bosendorfer, Estonia, August Forster, Steingraeber);

Faust Harrison Pianos in NYC & White Plains, NY (Bechstein, Mason & Hamlin, Schimmel, Yamaha CF);

Cunningham Piano in Philadelphia (Bosendorfer, Estonia, Schimmel, Charles Walter);

PianoCraft in Gaithersburg, MD (Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Steingraeber, Charles Walter);

Ruggero Pianos in Raleigh, NC (Bechstein, Bluthner, Bosendorfer, Estonia, Fazioli, Mason & Hamlin, Schimmel, Charles Walter);

PianoWorks in Atlanta (Bosendorfer, Estonia, Grotrian, Seiler);

EuroPianos in Naples, FL (Bechstein, Bosendorfer, August Forster, Sauter, Schimmel);

Collora Piano in Dallas, Texas (Bosendorfer, Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Schimmel, Charles Walter);

R. Kassman in Berkeley, California (Bechstein, Estonia, Grotrian, Sauter, Steingraeber); and

Showcase Pianos in Vancouver, BC (Fazioli, Bechstein and Grotrian).

Even you, Norbert, carry both Sauter and Estonia at Heritage Pianos in Surrey, BC.

Therefore, based on my own piano shopping experience, I would have to disagree with you - side-by-side comparison of competing brands DO occur. However, you will probably have to shop in metropolitan areas with populations of at least 1,500,000 in order to do so.

Last edited by Almaviva; 08/12/13 01:45 AM.
Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Almaviva:

Point well taken, there are indeed many dealers with such con-current brands you mentioned.

However my question was more specifically aimed at Steinway dealers carrying other tier 1 or tier 2 pianos and Yamaha/Kawai dealers carrying some of the top Chinese makers.

Or "Korean" if it's helping things.. wink

I am asking specifically "Chinese" as several ones of them are thought to be particularly good alternatives on market today.

[Not asking anybody to buy what we have - nor care.]

Personally, we LOVE to have others on same floor, especially top name brands...

But why not the other way around?

So, any specific dealers you know actually doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 08/12/13 01:54 AM.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Ellenburger here

Where is Noona when we need her?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OperaTenor
Ellenburger here

The good jokes never die...

True. But this time squished into a patty and fried. Unless, it really exists.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Almaviva

With the exception of very small markets, Steinway insist that their dealers carry only Steinway piano lines.

Though this is often stated, it is simply not the case. Schmitt Music, the store which I am most familiar, is the Steinway dealership and also carries other non-Steinway brands. They even have their own "house brand," the Lyrica, which is built by Pearl River and competes with Essex.

It is true, however, that they do not carry other "tier one" pianos that would compete with the Steinway name.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Though this is often stated, it is simply not the case. Schmitt Music, the store which I am most familiar, is the Steinway dealership and also carries other non-Steinway brands.

Interesting, Marty. I was quoting a guy who works for Reifsnyder's Piano in Lancaster, Pa. He is a Steinway dealer, and he carries Charles Walter and Pearl River models. He told me that Steinway allows their dealers in small markets to carry non-Steinway brands.

Well, Minneapolis is hardly a small market, and Schmitt does carry non-Steinway pianos. Apparently this misconception is wide-spread within the piano industry itself.

A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Norbert
So, any specific dealers you know actually doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Norbert thumb

Come to think of it, Norbert, there IS one dealer that I know of - Richmond Pianos in Richmond, Virginia. They carry Schimmel, Charles Walter, Kawai, Brodmann and Baldwin.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just returning from long trip, visiting a number of major dealers.

Time to bring some life back here again. ha

One thing I noticed is the curious, consistent but somewhat "odd" "combination of brands" commonly offered by dealers.

Here's the question:

How many Steinway dealers out there offer also such makes as Fazioli, C.Bechstein, Boesendorfer, Grotrian, Sauter and/or even Estonia?

If not, why not?

Why should they carry such over-priced, over-hyped brands when they already sell the world's finest piano?

How many dealers for Japanese pianos offer not just some low grade Chinese pianos as cost alternative but also some of the better ones such a Brodmann, Ritmueller Hailun and Perzina?

Field's in Orange County is presently selling Hailun and Weber along with their Kawais and Steinways. That will change soon, though as they become a Steinway Gallery.

Obviously no single Yamaha dealer offering Kawai, vice versa.
"Obvious" - but obvious "why"?

You should pay more attention to the market. SoCal Pianos in Ontario sells new Yamaha, Kawai, Mason and Hamlin, Bechstein/W. Hoffmann and Samick.

Is side-by-side comparison by shoppers actively and "preventatively" being discouraged by market?

I doubt the market cares.

"Too dangerous" for dealers for name brand products expected to sell by "brand name" only?

Just like car dealers - can one really blame them?

Now, don't ask me what else I found by visiting the various dealers on my trip. To be honest, nothing I didn't know before.

Start shooting.

Bang! smile

Gary
P
P
There is a dealer in Edinburgh, Scotland which I visited in around 2001 and they were official distributors for both Steinway and C.Bechstein at the time. They also had a load of Petrofs next to the Bostons. I don't know for how long this was the case, but they no longer sell new Steinways. I was there again recently, and they still have C.Bechstein and Grotrian - maybe other 'top tiers', but I wouldn't know because they keep them at the back of the store behind a rope and I wasn't allowed anywhere near them, because I was enquiring about cheaper rebuilds at the time. Actually the dealer unhelpfully didn't want me to touch any of his pianos, because he didn't currently have anything in my price range in stock. Very strange sales tactic...

P
P
Originally Posted by Plowboy

Here's the question:

If not, why not?

Why should they carry such over-priced, over-hyped brands when they already sell the world's finest piano?

The more often I hear Steinway referred to unequivocally as the 'world's finest piano' the more I'm put off buying one altogether. I'd rather take the time to really consider all options out there in order to find the perfect piano for me personally than just fall for marketing tricks and unquestionably buy a product without engaging my brain first. I wonder if the arrogance of some of the salespeople representing Steinway is in fact doing more harm than good.

I try to put these negative connotations of the Steinway brand aside when I'm trying out their pianos so that I can evaluate them purely on their attributes as musical instruments and not status symbols wink. They are of course excellent pianos, but my favourite so far is a Bosendorfer.

Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Almaviva:

Reifsnyder's Pianos doesn't seem to offer Walter grands,
only their uprigths. Grands is where the "action" is.

http://reifsnyders.com/newpianos.php

Socal pianos does not appear to be NEW Steinway dealer but lists both Yamaha and Kawai. Thinking this is great! thumb

http://www.socalpianos.com/ManufacturerList.aspx

Schmitt Music is Steinway dealer but does not seem to offer any other pianos from tiers 1-2-3

Common scenario?

http://www.schmittmusic.com/piano/products/grand/shop-grand-pianos.php

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 08/12/13 11:39 AM.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Socal pianos does not appear to be Steinway dealer but lists both Yamaha and Kawai. Thinking this is great! thumb

http://www.socalpianos.com/ManufacturerList.aspx

They also carry Walter. They have three locations and the line up is a bit different at all three. The folks there are nice. They should tune their pianos more often though.

The San Marcos store also has a great sheet music collection.

Gary
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission