2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
W
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
gv: I tried Multi Track Studio ... but it could not find any of my VSTs.

I finally found a VST Plugins folder inside the application folder. (Why can't it see C:\Program Files\vstplugins like EVERY OTHER program out there?)

No matter ... I copied in three VSTs. In the application I could see all three of them. so I tried to open one, and it says "this is a plugin, not an effect". (Well duh!) And then that one gets removed from the menu! There are now only two VSTs listed.

So I try to open one of the remaining two. You guessed it: "this is a plugin, not an effect". Removed from menu. Only one VST left. (Would anyone care to guess what happens when I tried to open that last VST?)

EPW: My Presonus AudioBox came with the free version of StudioOne. I never tried it, so now would be a good time. But the CD has gone missing.

From the Multitrack Studio website -
Where do I install VST plugins?
On Windows the Preferences window (Studio menu) lets you specify the folder that contains your VST plugins. By default the C:\Program Files\MtStudio\VSTplugins folder is used. On Mac VST plugins go in either the user or system Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST folder.

willf
Well, don't forget about trying Forte 3 if you really require stability, I plan to try it in next weeks also.

Roland FP-4
D
D
Regarding the original question, about a VST host, for the sake of completeness I thought I'd mention MOS (music operating system I think) from OpenLabs. I'm not recommending it, just mentioning it. It's not free, it's about $200 at the moment. Mine came with the Neko production station I use. Also, it's a bit quirky.

However, it was designed as a VST host for live performance; on the Open Labs machines, it replaced something called Karsyn. One of its claims to fame is that it was designed specifically with touch screens in mind; however it does work with a mouse.

The main screen is laid out like a grid. Each grid button represents a "song"; although there's nothing to stop you changing "songs" in the middle of a song. Each "song" can load up a bunch of VSTs. For example on my production station you can load one piano into the bottom half of the keyboard, another piano into the top half of the keyboard, and drums onto the drum pad. Then a the press of another grid button, you could instantly switch to a different "song" with a Hammond organ VST assigned to the keyboard.

As I sat, it's not cheap and it's quirky; but there is (or used to be) a demo version to try: http://shop.openlabs.com/music-os-3-2-free-trial/

Yamaha C3X SH
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I tried Mulab, as you suggested. It sometimes works. But it crashes every time I try to save a session ... both the x32 and x64 versions.

Isn't there a reliable VST host out there somewhere?

Yes, there are lots of them! For me, the best is Reaper. It is as stable as any program I've used (never actually crashed and is very lithe and efficient). It's about 50 dollars I think, but but the demo is fully functional.

And what about Cakewalk, Cubase, Logic (for Mac), Samplitude and DOZENS of others. I don't think these are bad or unstable programs, quite the contrary.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Thanks. Remember, though, that I'm looking for something simple. The ideal would be (almost) ZERO controls ... just a way to specify MIDI input and audio output, and to load at least two VSTs. Anything more than that is unwanted. And too much more is intolerable.

If you've seen Mini Host, you'll know what I want ... except that it only keeps one VST loaded. I need two VSTs, maybe three. (And ditto for asHost ... it's almost as simple as Mini Host, but it, too, can handle only one VST. And anyway, it quit working when I upgraded to Win 7, 64-bit.)

The others I've tried are either complicated, crash-prone, or both.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
...umm....don't know, I'm afraid. But once you've found your way round one of the above mentioned programs, they shouldn't be difficult to make do what you want. Also, many of them come with 'LE' versions (lite edition?) which can be free or less than fifty dollars.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

OP Offline
Joy at last! I found my Studio One CD. It was buried after our move in April.

And it works! It's still more complicated than I'd like, but at least the manual is written in workflow fashion, rather than button/menu fashion, so I was able to get it working.

The best part: I can save my configuration as a single file. I double-click that file and Studio One opens, along with my Ivory 1.5 VST (with 3 pianos inside) and my Kontakt 5 (with 6 pianos inside) and my Sonivox harpsichord. And a single click in Studio One takes me from one piano to another instantly.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
This is good news. There is a 'lite' version available free online here.

This has the double advantage of being both free and simpler than the full version. It appears to have all the functions you need to host VSTs along side each other, and to record them.

OP Offline
And here's the setup ...

This picture shows the main Studio One screen on the left, squeezed down as small as it will go. This both hides the fluff I don't need, and leaves the three selectable VST items on the left (just right-click to select Kontakt, Ivory, or Dvi Harpsichord) ... and it also shows the folder contents (on the right) containing the other available VSTs.

Meanwhile, the right hand window shows each VST screen, each in its own tab.
[Linked Image]

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
This indeed looks pretty need, especially with a free version available smile .

MacMacMac, great, good luck with it smile

Originally Posted by toddy
This is good news. There is a 'lite' version available free online here.

This has the double advantage of being both free and simpler than the full version. It appears to have all the functions you need to host VSTs along side each other, and to record them.

Free version can't work with VST. from FAQ:

Q: Can I use my VST/AU plug-ins in Studio One Free?

A: No, Studio One Free does not allow the use of third party plug-ins. You should consider purchasing Studio One Producer or Professional if you would like to use your third party plug-ins.

Roland FP-4
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission