2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 306 of 341 1 2 304 305 306 307 308 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thank you my friends. I need to create more variety in there I think though. Modal playing is a whole different animal for me.

Now here's a tune, as I mentioned, that I just spent a few minutes on the day before. No one in the band has played it before at a gig. In fact the bass player and drummer had to pull out their Youtubes and give it a few seconds of listening before the set started. LOL. But that's Jazz!

Night Dreamer (Shorter)
https://app.box.com/s/3772s73eb0qk30rlbt3c

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty

How's the gigging out there? I sent a guy from camp down your way to go see you at your usual gigging spot. Say hi for me if you see him. Now if only I could remember his name. All I know is he's in the car review business.

Summer slowed down the gigs but partly that's my fault because I'm not out there looking for it. I'm only doing what comes to me. So I've been down to 3-4 a month. But the good news is that the crowd is getting bigger.

You kind of have a special market there if tap into the Government/Corporate gigs. I managed one Hollywood gig. Pay was good and lots of eye candy but no one really pays attention to you.

I'm finding that I'm really getting into playing the real "Jazz" gigs now where they just show up to listen to you. A real listening audience, like that restaurant we headline in every month. It's a really crazy gig. By the end of the night, we shift to funk all the time and the people start dancing.

My Jazz Blog

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
*NEW* Jazz Master Class -"Using the 15 Stylistic Elements Plus a Few More:)

Join Dave for a spinoff of his popular YT video "15 Stylistic Elements for the Advanced Jazz Pianist". New elements include Ghost Notes, 2 level LH, Smashcords, Phunny Phrases, Basslines on 2+4, Shifting Time Signatures, and others. Dave concludes the video with 4 Improv flows on All the Things You are with screen titles highlighting the shifting elements as they appear.

Phree for thee)

http://youtu.be/3mdHoTBVgfM

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Afro Blue: When we play it, the solos are over a minor blues, which is how Mongosantamaria did it, I believe. Coltrane does it like jazzwee's group, soling over an open F-7 chord vamp. Gotta admit I run out of ideas where I'm soling over one chord, whereas the minor blues progression keeps me going!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
Afro Blue: When we play it, the solos are over a minor blues, which is how Mongosantamaria did it, I believe. Coltrane does it like jazzwee's group, soling over an open F-7 chord vamp. Gotta admit I run out of ideas where I'm soling over one chord, whereas the minor blues progression keeps me going!

Yes - it's a challenge to vamp on one chord, but if I did it right, then I would have just gone completely free. The bass player knows to just listen. But it's a work in progress.

The problem is we play so many minor blues tunes all night already: footprints, stolen moments, sugar (in this particular gig).

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I can see your point when you've got 3 other minor blues. On vamping on one chord, I was just at a friends house who had the physical CD for Kind of Blue. I was reading the liner notes and Miles says he created those tunes so they could just focus on melody. Sounds easy in that we think we're always focusing on melody and the chord changes make it hard, but in reality just creating a melody ain't easy. I actually enjoy vamping at the end of a song on one chord. The nice thing about vamping at the end of a song is you let it go as long as it feels good and the bring the song to a close.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
If you listen to us vamping on one chord, we're not really doing one chord. As I learned from McCoy Tyner, you can really play ANYTHING. I was talking to the bass player tonight and when we both listened to what was in the recording, we were feeding off each other without even thinking about it. We were switching chords in 12 keys.

You can do this pretty much in any dorian mode.

Now my normal drummer wasn't there so there was a sub but otherwise it would vary rhythmically even more.

I'm going to do more of this far out kind of playing. smile

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There's a whole world, nay, a whole universe inside of one chord; you just have to spend time to get in there. It's not easy, takes patience. But it's well worth the effort.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
So any tips? (on handling a one chord vamp)

My Jazz Blog

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Jazzwee,

Here's a transcription of Passion Dance

http://jazzpianoeducation.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/mccoy-tyner-transcription-passion-dance.html.

There are quite a few of them out there on the 'net - some better than others. Seeing how MT plays over his own tune is a world of instruction.

Another world are Coltrane transcriptions. There's probably a few on the web for Impressions and there's a fabulous book of transcriptions of A Love Supreme.

The Dave Liebeman & Steve Grossman book of transcriptions Elvin Jone's Live at the Lighthouse is another great source.

Of course, there's the "old-fashioned" way, which is transcribing whatever you find interesting. Or you can make up your own licks. From there practice them in whatever way suits you so you can work them into your playing.

I'm suggesting transcriptions and practice/analysis of licks only as one kind of thing for a practice routine. There are a million other ways too. Or you might continue trying stuff out in performance (and feeding off your bass player as you mention). You'll begin to see, if haven't already, what you like in your own playing that you'd like to develop further - whether that's through practice of your own exercises and licks or comparing what you do to stuff you find in transcriptions. Or again, the feeding exploration you're doing now sometimes may get you to exactly where you want to go.

Of course, this is the tiniest tip of the iceberg of course. There are classical scores to look at. And techniques for playing outside chord changes that work well over a one-chord tune or vamp are right there in Charlie Parker's Omnibook too ...

Hope this helps!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thank you Mark. I've planned on studying this transcription before but haven't gotten to it. Do you know if the LH was transcribed too somewhere? I was first starting off with that.

I had also, noticed that I need to build more vocabulary (and maybe confidence) in playing these kind tunes intervallicaly like McCoy does. This type of playing requires more practice than is obvious. I've got the visualize the lines differently.

In the heat of the moment, I can run out of ideas and fingers begin to drive me.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Guys, George Duke, the most excellent keyboardist, arranger, composer, etc has passed away.
http://www.eurweb.com/2013/08/we-remember-george-duke-dies-at-67/

He was a most excellent groovy singer too:

Last edited by chrisbell; 08/06/13 03:35 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Jazzwee,

There's a book of Tyner transcriptions

http://www.scribd.com/doc/128259526/McCoy-Tyner-Transcriptions

that has that solo with the LH part too. It might be SOMEWHERE out there other than Scribd.

If I can find the link to the solo (w/LH) directly I'll post it.

Originally Posted by Dfrank
*NEW* Jazz Master Class -"Using the 15 Stylistic Elements Plus a Few More:)

Watched this one and enjoyed a lot.
Dave mentioned that Bill uses doorknob style a lot.
If I listen to Bill Solo I also hear a lot comping in the crax or in other words, attacking chords. Especially on his Solo albums vol. 1 and 2.

for example from 4:20 and some time further .. am I right?:

Sounds amazing.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark Polishook
Jazzwee,

There's a book of Tyner transcriptions

http://www.scribd.com/doc/128259526/McCoy-Tyner-Transcriptions

that has that solo with the LH part too. It might be SOMEWHERE out there other than Scribd.

If I can find the link to the solo (w/LH) directly I'll post it.

Wow - THANK YOU! The nice thing about Passion Dance as an example is that it is easy to read since there's only one base chord.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Guys, George Duke, the most excellent keyboardist, arranger, composer, etc has passed away.
http://www.eurweb.com/2013/08/we-remember-george-duke-dies-at-67/

He was a most excellent groovy singer too:

Wow. Sad to hear. Been listening to him a lot to learn how to play Jazz Funk. Rest in Peace.

My Jazz Blog

T
T
jazzwee nice work on the Hollywood gig, must have been at some fancy hotel or venue. Take some photos next time!!

I haven't played many gigs at all, summer is the slow period. People want to be outside. I'm rehearsing with a groove/ smooth jazz type band. May look for group gigs soon. Really helps having good rhythm section hold down the time.

T
T
Afro Blues, nice tune. Surprised you guys play it. First time I heard it was this version with Robert Glasper and Esperanza Spalding. very catchy.

T
T
I just heard the original with John Coltrane. Sounds quite different. Glasper's is 4/4? The original is some unusual time meter.

T
T
Left hand comping chords:

Changing topics for a second, for comping how many different ways do you play a chord in normal or gig situations?

I find my hand remembers shapes that I like and usually play around 4-5. But if I consciously try to work in a new chord while playing it doesn't happen much. I have to sit down and figure out what I want to play.

Like say a 2-5-1 in C, I have my usual chords that my left hand gravitates to. It's almost by habit. But like everyone I can get bored of those sounds.

Dominant chords have more variety because of the ALT notes you can throw in. A b2 #5 on a C major 7 chord ain't gonna sound too nice.

I've been looking at some Keith Jarrett transcriptions and trying out his inner harmony moving notes. It actually takes the fingers a while to get used to it. The hardest part is he uses both left and right hands, while playing the melody note on top. Very tricky.

Page 306 of 341 1 2 304 305 306 307 308 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission