2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
One more thing -- do not buy another digital! At some point, your child's teacher is pretty much going to insist on an acoustic piano, and you would have again invested in something that you really can't trade in. If your funds were endless, then sure, go for a digital - but for any of us normal people, we want to maxmize our funds and make a true investment. Any acoustic piano will still be worth something in 25 years, whereas a digital in just a few years is pretty much worthless in value- much like a computer depreciates because it is no longer the "latest, greatest" model.

I'd agree with Apple that a Charles Walter upright is an excellent piano. They are rare to find used but worth the search.

M
MA Offline
M
If you are still considering a good digital piano, take a look at Yamaha's YDP223, which sells for about $1,500. I bought it early this year to get my daughter started. Although I am upgrading to an acoustic, I am keeping the digital. It has served my daughter well.

M
MA Offline
M
I forgot to mention that I also bought a $600 Casio digital piano from Costco in the summer. Its sound and keys/actions are just like a toy electronic keyboard, and we hated it so much that we returned it after a few weeks.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
accomplished musicians on acoustic pianos know how to shape each note... know how to let a chord ring with every note of that chord sounding at a different volume... know how to shape phrases and make them sound beautiful.. now how to let the melody or accompaniment, or rhythm or tempo determine how a piece should sound with a nuance and a variety simply not found on a digital.

An acoustic piano is a percussion instrument. A digital is not.

of course a digital can do many things an acoustic cannot and there are many advantages..

- apple, waiting for the day when digital piano music is available in stores.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by MA:
I forgot to mention that I also bought a $600 Casio digital piano from Costco in the summer. Its sound and keys/actions are just like a toy electronic keyboard, and we hated it so much that we returned it after a few weeks.
Just curious, was that the Previa 100 series?

[Linked Image]
M
MA Offline
M
George K, it was a Casio Privia PX-500L.

I'd say a good $2k Yamaha digital piano can be good for up to intermediate level. After that, only a good acoustic grand can better it, especially in sound.

You can certainly upgrade to acoustic before that if you think your child will stick with playing or it's time to play duo.

P
OP Offline
P
Ok, thanks for all the help. Assuming I go with a digital, what models out of the 3 mfg's would you recommend (in the $2000-$3000 range). My requirements in order of prefernce are:
1) authentic piano sound
2) touch/response
3) multiple voices and sound set (e.g. organ, strings, guitar, pads...)

P
OP Offline
P
Sorry, the mfg's are Yamaha, Roland and Kawai

M
MA Offline
M
Visit a Yamaha dealer and check these models:

CLP230, CLP240 and CLP270

They all got Yamaha's GH3 keys/actions, which I believe are the best on any digital piano.

Unless you are an advanced pianist, it's hard to feel any difference if you closed your eyes and play it. It sounds just like Yamaha's concert grand.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by MA:
George K, it was a Casio Privia PX-500L.

I'd say a good $2k Yamaha digital piano can be good for up to intermediate level. After that, only a good acoustic grand can better it, especially in sound.

You can certainly upgrade to acoustic before that if you think your child will stick with playing or it's time to play duo.
I picked up a Casio PX400R at the local Sam's including bench, stand, microphone, and pedal for a ridiculously low price (last one closeout - under $250.) The tone sucks, but it's a fun toy to play with now and then. I played a few Yamaha digitals and a Korg or two. To my ears the Yamahas sound best. Actions on them are all fairly similar .

--Dennis

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

P
OP Offline
P
What's the sigificant difference between a stage piano and a home piano? If it's just the stand, how important is it to have the 3 pedals and a solid base for the keyboard to learn proper piano technique?

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
With a stage piano you have following benefits:

- Easier to move than the heavy home organ type digitals, as there are many lightweight components instead of one heavy. As a digital do not need a haevy frame and cabinet, why not take advantage of this? Why pay for wooden cabinet instaed of for good actions and sound?

- You can customize the stand to suit the child's height, so she can sit on the height-adjustable piano stool with her feet steadily on the floor. Avoid cheap waggling X-stands!

- The one sustain pedal required at early stage of paino studies can also be fixed on the floor according to the child's sitting position.

- You have to buy a separate music desk as the incorporated desks are more or less useless, they do not give proper support to normal sheet music.

Drawbacks

- More components to assemble, more electrical wires, technical outlook doees not fit in everyones drawing room.

- You should rather check the co-operation between piano and loudspeakers in your home before buying as the speakers and their positioning do affect the sound and its perception by the pianist.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Look at the Yamaha Clavinova CLP220 and CLP230. Both should street price at under $2k. I believe they are absolutly the most performance for your buck. Strange advice comming from a piano technician. It hurts.
I don't like the Yamaha YDP series. The specs are close to the Clavinova series, but there are some subtle differences. Warranty is significantly different in length and terms of service.
If you want to go acoustic you can get a new Yamaha entry level upright close to the upper end of your budget range.
I have to disagree with apple. Your budget calls for the bottom of the barrel in an halfway decent acoustic. This "shaping each note" description baffels me. The digitals I recommend will have a deep in the key repetition that is not possible on any acoustic upright. The digital will always be in tune and at pitch.
Practice with headphones is a blessing.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
Piano Shopper-- once again, I am still not sure why you would invest yet another $2-3K into a digital when inevitably you will have to purchase an acoustic piano? It would still be a wiser choice to invest in an acoustic-- even an entry level one = that can later be traded up to a really nice piano. Even the entry level will have some value as a trade, where a digital really will not. Have you looked a Perzina? I had a beginning student purchase one recently- something about 44" tall- and it is quite nice. I know their budget was similar to yours, so might be worth a look. I prefer the sound of it to most of the other "Asian" pianos I have played, and it has a nice action.

One more thing-- your child's teacher has told you specifically that your child needs an acoustic piano and has reservations about a digital. If you respect the teacher at all, do your best to listen to their advice on this one. You will all benefit in the end.

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple*:
accomplished musicians on acoustic pianos know how to shape each note... know how to let a chord ring with every note of that chord sounding at a different volume... know how to shape phrases and make them sound beautiful.. now how to let the melody or accompaniment, or rhythm or tempo determine how a piece should sound with a nuance and a variety simply not found on a digital.

An acoustic piano is a percussion instrument. A digital is not.

of course a digital can do many things an acoustic cannot and there are many advantages..
This advice is spot on. If you want your daughter to learn to play the piano get a piano. If you or she wants to play a keyboard, get a keyboard. The art of the piano playing is all in the dynamics. It's what makes music beautiful and compelling.

For 3K you can get a great used upright piano for your daughter.

Originally posted by Craigen:
This "shaping each note" description baffels me. The digitals I recommend will have a deep in the key repetition that is not possible on any acoustic upright. The digital will always be in tune and at pitch.
Practice with headphones is a blessing.
practicing with headphones would be a blessing for my family.. but then again the kids wouldn't be running around whistling Bach..

when you strike a key on an acoustic a great variety of output is possible by striking the key differently. digitals attempt to replicate that and do ok in the volume department.. but you can make a single note sound lofty or clear or round or pingy.. throw in a few more notes and one can shape chords.. it's a wonderful thing to exploit and play with. I teach my youngest students to play the melody louder than the accompaniment in the left hand. it is not a skill reserved for fine pianists.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission