Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
53 registered members (albydooby, agent8698, camperbc, Ankee, Abdol, Apache, BeeZee4, 9 invisible), 933 guests, and 474 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Advice sought: move damage #2127417 08/03/13 10:38 AM
PianoWorksATL Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hello All,

We were recently contacted for advice to a common situation with an uncommon variable. We gave advice to the customer but wanted to reach out to this community (with the client's permission) for additional ideas or perspective that the client can read.

The owner contacted a local, reputable dealer about moving the piano from Atlanta to an adjacent state within a days drive. The dealer used a moving company they recently switched to but regularly use with experience. It was an accident, but based on our information, was avoidable.

While on the truck, the piano fell over onto the bench which was upside down. The underside of the piano was damaged with some minor crushes to the rim and struts but, most noticeably, a hole was punched through the soundboard.

What would your advice to the owner be?

The hole is about 6"-7" from the belly rail (close to the dampers) near dead center.

***WARNING*** The images you are about to see are graphic in nature and may be disturbing to piano owners.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127418 08/03/13 10:39 AM
PianoWorksATL Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The piano is a Steinway model B, approximately 20 years old.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127425 08/03/13 10:54 AM
B
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Well, I suppose there are a few ways one could go about this, and it would depend on two things:

1. How attached is the owner to this piano, and how it plays/sounds?
2. How long are they willing to wait for a functional piano?

Even though I'm confident this could be repaired without completely rebuilding the belly with a new soundboard, I don't think I personally would accept anything less than a new soundboard... or a new piano. There's no reason the customer should have to wait or suffer on account of someone else's accident. That's what insurance is for!

If, however, the customer is very particular about this piano, and how it plays/sounds, and doesn't care about an imperfection in the soundboard, I'd suggest unhooking the strings in that area and shimming the soundboard with everything else in place, if possible.

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127426 08/03/13 10:55 AM
D
dynamobt Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
No advice. But, I would hope the movers carried insurance for just such a reason. Yes, the pictures are very disturbing. If this were my piano, I would be crying.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127435 08/03/13 11:13 AM
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If it were mine I would be furious. I would push for replacement with a comparable piano acceptable to my ears and fingers. Of course, the mover's strict legal liability may only extend to the repair of the damage in so much as it is possible to do so.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127436 08/03/13 11:15 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The legal liability of the mover is generally under $1 per pound unless the owner paid for additional insurance. That will not cover the damage.

Semipro Tech
Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127438 08/03/13 11:18 AM
Rickster Offline
This is indeed unfortunate for all parties involved, but particularly for the piano owners. In my view, this can be repaired by the right professionals (which the movers were apparently not).

Case in point, I saw a TV documentary about Bill Monroe’s (the famous bluegrass artist) prized mandolin. It seems that thieves broke into his house and, for some strange reason, tried to totally destroy his prized F style Gibson mandolin. The TV documentary showed how some musical instrument repair experts gathered as many microscopic pieces of the mandolin as possible and using magnifying glasses and microscopes pieced the mandolin back together. I’m sure it was not cheap or easy, but it was rather miraculous, considering how badly it was damaged.

Another option would be to replace the piano's sound board and struts, or perhaps replace the piano altogether, but I doubt the insurance company would agree to that… if they had insurance.

Let us know how this all turns out, Sam.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127460 08/03/13 11:57 AM
W
Withindale Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
The owner contacted a local, reputable dealer about moving the piano from Atlanta to an adjacent state within a days drive. The dealer used a moving company they recently switched to but regularly use with experience.

Did the owner contract with the dealer to move the piano ("The dealer used a moving company") or the moving company?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127479 08/03/13 12:46 PM
A
Almaviva Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Sam,

A new Steinway B would cost between $90,000 and $100,000, depending upon the finish. Ouch!

Damaged rim, ruined soundboard. The bench was probably ruined, too. Deja vu "ouch" all over again!

How much would it cost to repair damage of this magnitude, or can it be repaired? Even if it can be repaired, will the piano be of the same quality as it was before being damaged?

If the answer to that last question is "no", the piano will obviously have to be replaced.

If the answer to that last question is "yes", and the cost of the repairs would be less than that of buying another 20-year-old Steinway B in the same pre-damage condition, that would still a major repair bill.

Regardless of the outcome, a major hassle for all concerned.

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127484 08/03/13 01:02 PM
J
Jonathan Alford Offline
J
If I were the owner, I would want another B that I agreed to. Movers to pay for all expenses in acquiring the "new" piano.

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: Almaviva] #2127494 08/03/13 01:29 PM
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...The bench was probably ruined, too....
Steinways usually come with Jansen Benches. In that case, and especially seeing how impact seems to have been a vertical blow as opposed to a glancing one, it could very well be that the bench only has a few scratches. But of course it is not about the bench here. We are talking soundboard replacement.

Question is: who pays, and will there be a decent loaner grand for the months it will take to do the restoration?

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127501 08/03/13 01:56 PM
Guapo Gabacho Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127507 08/03/13 02:00 PM
Steve Cohen Offline
Unless there was a signed waiver or limit to responsibility the owner should be made "whole". That is he/she should be provided with a similar pianos, acceptable to the owner, at no cost.

With the number of B's being bought and sold, this shouldn't be very difficult.

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: Almaviva] #2127509 08/03/13 02:06 PM
B
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Almaviva
How much would it cost to repair damage of this magnitude, or can it be repaired?

A new soundboard from a high quality rebuilder would cost $20,000ish (installed). I'm guessing Steinway's restoration center would cost more.

Even if it can be repaired, will the piano be of the same quality as it was before being damaged?

You might be surprised at what kind of trauma these things can take. Gould's prized Steinway D fell from a loading dock, was subsequently rebuilt, and is still in use today. Is is still the same piano? No, but it is still a viable musical instrument.

Hurstwood Farm's Boesendorfer Imperial was dropped during a move and was subsequently rebuilt by them as a prototype for the Phoenix System. They even kept the original soundboard (which was partially separated from the rim, I believe). I dare anyone to find an Imperial as nice as that one.

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127511 08/03/13 02:11 PM
B
BornInTheUSA Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Yikes. I don't see in the web page if there are any maximums on claims? But I would imagine/hope, that they are insured to cover the value of what they're moving. A Steinway B is obviously towards the extreme of what movers deal with but it shouldn't be completely unusual. A lot of people have really expensive furniture, maybe not $100K pieces, but $20K dining tables maybe?

When I got property insurance for the contents of my home, my insurance agent said that in case of an incident (fire, theft, etc...) they will replace with "like" items. For example, I have a $4500 dining table, they said they wouldn't get that exact one unless I carried a "rider" on that dining table which requires me to send them my receipt beforehand, and it'll cost a lot more. Same with jewelry, and same with my piano. So I wonder if my RX-5 burned down (and didn't have a rider) would they just give me any piano. She couldn't predict what the adjuster would do which probably helps them sell riders.

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: Almaviva] #2127519 08/03/13 02:28 PM
PianoWorksATL Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
The legal liability of the mover is generally under $1 per pound unless the owner paid for additional insurance. That will not cover the damage.
This is not my assumption though I do not have any specifics about the insurance yet in this case. We have our own movers and delivery truck and much higher insurance than most house movers that are covered by different regulations.
Originally Posted by Withindale
Did the owner contract with the dealer to move the piano ("The dealer used a moving company") or the moving company?
That is another legal question that I didn't ask. Prior to the move, the owner did ask us for a move quote and either a scheduling conflict or price led them to contact the other dealer.
How much would it cost to repair damage of this magnitude, or can it be repaired? Even if it can be repaired, will the piano be of the same quality as it was before being damaged?
I approximate that sending it to Steinway for a new board and any other minor things might be $20k+. That is less than its value, so it would not be "totaled." If that is offered as a solution, then a minor side issue is the time spent without a piano, which could be a year.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127581 08/03/13 05:08 PM
R
Roger Ransom Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
So what was your advice?

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: Roger Ransom] #2127589 08/03/13 05:26 PM
PianoWorksATL Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
So what was your advice?
So far, it was to contact a lawyer and send the piano to Steinway for a new board. My feeling is it makes for a simple legal position for the owner.

Sam Bennett
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127628 08/03/13 06:27 PM
Piano*Dad Offline
I approximate that sending it to Steinway for a new board and any other minor things might be $20k+. That is less than its value, so it would not be "totaled." If that is offered as a solution, then a minor side issue is the time spent without a piano, which could be a year.

There is also the risk that the owner simply will not like the result that comes back from the rebuilding process. If it were me, I would want my money back, or my choice of another B that all parties agree was equivalent. I would not accept a repair without an opt-out clause. And that would not be what I would ask for. In the case of severe damage of this sort, I would probably want out immediately (money back in full). Then I would start over.

In any case, all of this would seem to hinge on what insurance people have.

Re: Advice sought: move damage [Re: PianoWorksATL] #2127636 08/03/13 06:50 PM
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Money back? New piano of "my choice"? Start over?

As I understand it, this was not a purchase, it was the moving of someone's family piano.

The dealer took on the moving and contracted it out to a moving company. The mover's insurance should be the first in line to cover costs. Failing that, the dealer should have insurance to cover pianos belonging to clients. In a perfect world, of course.

The truth is that although the hole looks gruesome (and it really needs to be repaired), the damage may actually be more "cosmetic" than most people think. There is a good chance the piano sounds no different now than it did prior to the move.

Every soundboard has holes in it of about that size, where the plate bolts go through. The positioning of these holes is dictated by the plate struts. I don't think acoustical considerations enter the picture. In other words, you could safely bore out a few two inch holes here and there in the soundboard and the piano's performance would not be noticeably affected.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Reface CP with sustain pedal:Turn down DRIVE!
by boyonahill - 12/13/19 02:43 AM
A funny thing happened on the way to ASIO
by MacMacMac - 12/12/19 09:31 PM
books for learning harmony?
by Álvaro - 12/12/19 04:48 PM
Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation
by finch42 - 12/12/19 03:22 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,631
Posts2,901,138
Members95,224
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission