2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2126159 07/31/13 11:15 PM
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Following various hints dropped, authorized or unauthorized leaks, and applications for asylum from airport transit zones, it appears that, just possibly, there could be a new 33lbs portable unveiled in Oz in a couple of weeks, bearing a Kawai-red logo. If so, that would be remarkable and welcome news, especially if there is no more rationing of sound quality. We'll see...

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was able extract a close-up photo of the mystery DP from the Kawai R&D mainframe...

[Linked Image]

laugh

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by voxpops
welcome news, especially if there is no more rationing of sound quality. We'll see...

From the hints, it sounded like it will be low priced, lower than any current models. So I wouldn't expect it to sound like an MP10...

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by anotherscott
welcome news, especially if there is no more rationing of sound quality. We'll see...

From the hints, it sounded like it will be low priced, lower than any current models. So I wouldn't expect it to sound like an MP10...

Don't burst my bubble, Scott - at least not yet! wink I like to live in hope (or blissful ignorance) for a little while until reality kicks in.

You never know, they may have decided that with Korg offering unlooped 88-note pianos in a $1k machine, Roland dropping full-quality SN into a $1.5k model, and Casio making giant inroads into the pro stage market, they need to pull out all the stops. For all we know, Yamaha may be about to release an Ivory-killer portable (OK, now I'm just being irrational, I know).

mabraman, 2015
S
S
33lbs?

More plastic junk with "improved" samples. Probably a weak effort to stop sales of P-155's and P-105's at Kawai dealers.

Last edited by StarvingLion; 08/01/13 01:10 AM.

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Plinky88
I was able extract a close-up photo of the mystery DP from the Kawai R&D mainframe...

[Linked Image]

laugh

Well done, Plinky, a great bit of sleuthing! I can tell from the picture that it's using MOPHI (Mega Outstanding Progressive Harmonic Imaging) with ARGH (Almost Real Gee-whizz Hammer) action. wink

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
33lbs?

More plastic junk
That happens to be a valid way to get the weight down - just like your P-105. But, believe it or not, Roland's 33lbs FP-4 is mainly metal, as is Studiologic's 24lbs Numa Piano. So why not wait and see?

with "improved" samples.

Hopefully yes, but why the need for the quotation marks?

Probably a weak effort to stop sales of P-155's and P-105's at Kawai dealers.

Kawai is a smaller company, but does that make their effort weak? Have you ever played a Kawai?

I thought I was cynical, but goodness, I've more than met my match here!

mabraman, 2015
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi Voxpops,

I hope you're right. Mp series is first in line for replacement IMHO, but it could also very well be an extension to the VPC line , offering a compact, lower weight / lower cost controller board. Something like an RH- light version in a case that has more plastic components (which doesn't have to be a bad thing !).

We'll see. In a few weeks you said: is there a specific event around then (Music exposition, meeting of music industry) ? Personally I expected any announcements not to arrive before September, but the earlier the better...

Last edited by JFP; 08/01/13 03:19 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Well done, Plinky, a great bit of sleuthing! I can tell from the picture that it's using MOPHI (Mega Outstanding Progressive Harmonic Imaging) with ARGH (Almost Real Gee-whizz Hammer) action. wink

- or it could be Simulated Harmonically Interpolated Tonal Extension...let's hope not.

Anyway, I'm currently running a fever on the decision over a VPC1 or an ES7, so this news could be very timely for me, thanks for the alert.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Very interesting. Either an RH2-based controller or an update of the EP3 would be pretty big news around here. I guess the MP6 could use a refresh as well, though I wouldn't expect it to be super cheap as suggested above. We'll keep our eyes on this one for sure.

Did I miss the hints? I assume they weren't in this forum because I feel like I check it pretty regularly.

S
S
Originally Posted by JFP
Hi Voxpops,

I hope you're right. Mp series is first in line for replacement IMHO, but it could also very well be an extension to the VPC line , offering a compact, lower weight / lower cost controller board. Something like an RH- light version in a case that has more plastic components (which doesn't have to be a bad thing !).

We'll see. In a few weeks you said: is there a specific event around then (Music exposition, meeting of music industry) ? Personally I expected any announcements not to arrive before September, but the earlier the better...

If they do that now, a lot of VPC1 orders waiting to be filled will be cancelled. Doesn't make any sense to offer a lower priced unit when demand is out of this world.

Kawai doesn't have a cheap slab with market traction. The Yamaha's clean up in that space.

I bet the resident troll was right. This is the beginning of The Great Hardware Piano Pricing Crash. The star of the show will have to be Roland who has the most to lose. What will they do? They will make the most noise in the end.

Last edited by StarvingLion; 08/01/13 04:09 AM.

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
G
G
"The Great Hardware Piano Pricing Crash"

StarvingLion, you remind me of some random doomsayer on the streets that everyone ignores.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
StarvingLion has a bit of a brand bias and tends to caricature the whole thing but I think there’s more than a grain of truth in what he's saying.

I'm not ignoring him.

P
P
Originally Posted by Plinky88

[Linked Image]

laugh

Whau... Do you see those mysterious little black strips in between of the white keys? They probably mean the new RHIII-2F floating keybed recently invented. Can't help waiting...

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
This is great news if true. Ive been reluctantly using my ES7 for gigs this summer. It's been working out great, but such a nice DP that I rather keep at home full time and use second board for the road (preferable Kawai). I almost pulled the trigger on a PX5S, then considered and MP6, but now I will absolutely wait and see.

Voxpops, any chance you can give a little more detail on the hints you heard? i.e. controller or dp? 76 or 88? If not, I understand. Regardless, I just hope Xmas comes very early this year.

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Voxpops, any chance you can give a little more detail on the hints you heard? i.e. controller or dp? 76 or 88? If not, I understand. Regardless, I just hope Xmas comes very early this year.

Sorry, Marko, I'm only reiterating what's already been released into the public domain (mainly via Keyboard Corner), and I have no detailed inside knowledge. I suppose it could be a controller to compete with Roland's A-88, but although that's a growing sector due to the increasing use of software, weight is less of an issue for that market, and Kawai has it pretty much sewn up already with the VPC. I agree with Starving Lion that it doesn't make too much sense to throw in a competing unit at this stage of the VPC's life cycle.

This is what James said in a thread about entry-level (88-note) pianos:

"...if you're willing to wait a little while, there might be something suitable from Kawai exhibited at the Australian Musician Association Convention (AMAC) in a couple of weeks.

No Clav though, I'm afraid...
"

So, it does sound like a less expensive, pared-down instrument but with some onboard sounds. Maybe, as gvfarns pondered, it's the replacement for the EP3, which would hopefully retain the principal qualities of the ES7 in a more mobile package. That would be nice - very useful in fact, and a direct competitor to the Roland FP-50. And, if you go back and read the runes from a thread a few weeks ago (which one, I can't remember), it's also possible that the MP replacements could be with us before the end of the year.

Edit: As a footnote, I would add that I found it odd that the retailer, Kraft, released a new video to promote the EP3 a few weeks ago (their old one was done about 3 years ago). It occurred to me then that they were suddenly needing to shift stock.

Last edited by voxpops; 08/01/13 07:52 AM.

mabraman, 2015
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What if it's an organ controller? They have the piano controller tightly wrapped up...

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
AMAC...well , that's 10 ~ 12th of august. That's not such a long wait. Hope it ain't for nothing...

Perhaps James can do a viral like appearance of a single added detail every week; starting now. Like with the revelation of the VPC (and VPC website). A key a day, keeps speculation away ;-)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"The star of the show will have to be Roland who has the most to lose. What will they do? They will make the most noise in the end."

Might be able to pick one up cheap . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
This is what James said in a thread about entry-level (88-note) pianos:

"[i]...if you're willing to wait a little while, there might be something suitable from Kawai exhibited at the Australian Musician Association Convention (AMAC) in a couple of weeks.

It's also worth noting that the person to which he was replying was asking for an entry level 88-key digital piano with built-in speakers, under 30 lbs, competitive with models like Yamaha P35/P105, Korg SP170, and Casio. KJ asked if 33 lbs would be too much. So I think it's a safe bet that it's we're talking about a 33 lb digital piano with built in speakers, low cost, possibly under or not far from $600, since that's where those others are.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission