2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
48 members (Auraltuner, Beowulf, 1957, Burkey, Carey, Bett, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 427 guests, and 379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: German hand-built Feurich F172
williambonard #2125340 07/30/13 02:12 PM
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
I don't think Hailun can be faulted for this. They simply had an OEM contract with Wendl & Lung, who promptly slapped the Feurich name on the Wendl & Lung scale design, made some cosmetic changes, retained the Feurich music desk design, and voila! - the Chinese Feurich.

I don't know the details of the Feurich/Wendl & Lung agreement, or why Julius Feurich terminated their licensing agreement and is now trying to make a go of it on his own with his new "JF" brand. If the JF pianos sound like the rebuilt Feurich in Musica71's (Judy's) video, I hope Herr Feurich is successful.

Last edited by Almaviva; 07/30/13 10:35 PM.
williambonard #2125352 07/30/13 02:48 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Very nicely done, Judy!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

williambonard #2125362 07/30/13 03:11 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I played a Chinese Feurich at the Chicago Amateru Competition 2012. I really liked it and could not believe the price. then I found out the difference between the German and Chinese Feurichs. I went home and looked online for any dealers of their European pianos. There were 2, one in Baltimore, one in Florida. Warfield Pianos in Baltimore had a refurbished 6' 7" piano. I flew out to look at it and loved it. It was a one owner piano that had been cared for at the Factory in Gunzenhausen. It was built in 1989 I believe. Anyway we found out every possible thing about it and heard from Julius Feurich etc. I remember it had new hammers, probably didn't need too much else..it was supposed to be as close to a new piano as possible. I had a 6' 3" Schimmel Classic that was rather unstable in the dry Bend Oregon climate. Shipped that to my son Seth Darst in NYC, this is for sure a wonderful piano.

Last edited by musica71; 07/30/13 03:45 PM.

Musica 71
williambonard #2125364 07/30/13 03:16 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Beautiful recording Judy. Really captures the essence of the tone that the Feurich beholds.

I, too, am interested as to how old your Feurich is and what was actually carried out when it was restored?

Current: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
Previous: Venables & Son Academy-168, Kawai K-15 E and Yamaha Clavinova CVP-208

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
williambonard #2125368 07/30/13 03:24 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Wow, sounds amazing. I'm so glad you're pleased with it. I honestly cannot wait to go to Peregrine's in London to try the Feurich now! However, I've got to wait a couple of weeks yet :-(

"Insurance broker by day, classically trained pianist by... well, when I'm not working!"
williambonard #2125414 07/30/13 04:56 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Beautiful!

Good example that German pianos can have a much darker, sonorous type tone than is commonly assumed.

But then so many things are "commonly assumed"...

Norbert thumb

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
williambonard #2125505 07/30/13 07:33 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Not to dissuade your purchase, but when I lived in Germany, '81 - '98, we had 3 piano dealers in town. One of them carried the Feurich line. He also carried Grotrian, Hoffmann, Young Chang and a few others. At that time, the Feurich was considered more of a decorative instrument, on the same level as Sauter, Seiler, and a bit under Schimmel. Which is to say, in very fine company, but definitely not top tier.

In the USA, we tend to elevate these instruments more than the Germans do. You will have to be comfortable with your decision, but for heaven's sake, why don't you fly into Hahn or Koln(what is it these days, $20 each way?) rent a car and hit piano dealerships in Cologne, Frankfurt, Wiesbaden, Koblenz and Mainz; make it an extended weekend trip and enjoy yourself. Maybe take a Rhine River cruise while you're at it. BTW, if Oberlinger's have reopened (just off the A-61 at Windesheim), he has most of the brands on his extensive showroom floor. Don't know about the VAT situation, but most of these dealers will, if pressed, give you a 10% discount.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
williambonard #2125520 07/30/13 08:12 PM
Not to dissuade your purchase, but when I lived in Germany, '81 - '98, we had 3 piano dealers in town. One of them carried the Feurich line. He also carried Grotrian, Hoffmann, Young Chang and a few others. At that time, the Feurich was considered more of a decorative instrument, on the same level as Sauter, Seiler, and a bit under Schimmel. Which is to say, in very fine company, but definitely not top tier.

I respectfully disagree with this.

Germans are no different than any people: they tend to judge things by "what they know".

In not one single incident have I ever come across one dealer, technician, music lover or pianist who would place Schimmel above the others mentioned.

I once brought over and employed a "Klavierbaumeister" who was trained by Feurich in Gunzenhausen.

She said exact same.

Hoping no offense here....

Norbert smile

www.heritagepianos.com
604-951-8642
Norbert #2125526 07/30/13 08:23 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Norbert, that is the reason I couched my response with reference to when I lived in Germany; I attended the Messe annually, frequently played all the German instruments, dealt with all the dealers in the area (I had 40 students, many of whom were interested in purchasing pianos). Things change, it's been 15 years now, and even though my daughter and family still live there, and we visit annually, I'm not going from dealer to dealer looking at instruments.

If you want to get a true feel of how the Germans rate their instruments, look at the Manufacturers required pricing. It's easily available now on the net.

I see no reason for a serious pianist in Essex not to fly over to Germany, roughly the same distance for you to fly down to Salem, OR, and try out a number of instruments. Can you?

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
williambonard #2125549 07/30/13 09:24 PM
Thanks John!

Norbert thumb

www.heritagepianos.com
604-951-8642
williambonard #2125559 07/30/13 09:43 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Somehow this doesn't make sense. I don't believe I can fly to Germany for $20 (did you say?) I got this piano at roughly a little over half price of what a new one would be, plus they currently do not make the 197, (6' 6"). I understand they will again be producing this size, which is perfect for my smaller house. Phil Warfield had a new 5' 8" which was more expensive than my refurbished one. He also payed for the shipping, put a Dampp Chaser system on it and it was prepped to death. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I do NOT have unlimited funds,(otherwise might have been looking at Shigeru, Fazioli, etc.), this was perfect. Darrell Fandrich who used to be my technician in the Seattle area also was in touch with Julius to make sure it was a good deal. Fandrich considers the Feurich one of the very top pianos and is a dealer in northern Washington State. I consider Fandrich one of the best technicians ever.

Last edited by musica71; 07/30/13 09:45 PM.

Musica 71
musica71 #2125639 07/31/13 12:32 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure why you posted what you did. I was answering the OPs questions. First, I thought you were the OP, but using a different name. Now, I'm not sure.

For the OP:

Check out RyanAir for their current pricing to Koln-Bann or Hahn, but a few years back, I was stunned to see the low prices. I see that it's 29 Euro now, but that's still plenty cheap, and quite a bit cheaper than AlaskaAir for the same distance! There may be other small airlines flying into Koln-Bann as well. I can tell you that there are many, many British tourists who vacation in towns along the Rhein and therefore, it's very easy to get around even for a non-German speaker.

Please note, I'm merely suggesting an alternate which will help you discover more instruments, some of which you may like even better than your Feurich. If you're not in a great hurry, you can attend the Frankfurt Musikmesse in March and have a chance to look at all the major manufacturers of the world all in one setting.

PS Being from Olympia, I'm quite familiar with the Fandrich reputation.

Last edited by John v.d.Brook; 07/31/13 12:36 AM. Reason: confusion over OP and musica71

Norbert #2125703 07/31/13 05:21 AM
G
G
Originally Posted by Norbert

Germans are no different than any people: they tend to judge things by "what they know".

In not one single incident have I ever come across one dealer, technician, music lover or pianist who would place Schimmel above the others mentioned.

I think there is no German consensus about the ranking of all the different German brands. Ok, you might be right that no one would rate Schimmel above Sauter, Seiler or Feurich. But not necessarly much under as well. In my opinion most German made pianos are high quality. On that quality level it´s a question of individual preferences. And it´s a question of comparing specific exemplars rather than brands. E.g., I can´t confirm that there is a specific Feurich or Sauter sound. If we would conduct a double blind test of listening to different piano brands, the result would not be above coincidence. BTW, I did such a double blind test with German beer brands. The result was, hmmm, let´s say I don´t remember crazy

I tune a lot of German pianos every week, some convince me absolutely, some not. But that´s not a question of the fallboard name. Even some "great name" pianos can be quite boring.

piano tech - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de
Gregor #2125710 07/31/13 06:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Gregor

I think there is no German consensus about the ranking of all the different German brands. Ok, you might be right that no one would rate Schimmel above Sauter, Seiler or Feurich. But not necessarly much under as well.

Thank you for this Gregor.

I am not German, but I have spent time there in several factories. I have seen the care taken in design, process, material choices, etc. and I have to say that Schimmel, particularly the K series grands, impress.

I take nothing away from Sauter, Seiler, Feurich, Grotrian, etc., but based on the instrument itself, I think the days of Schimmel playing a second fiddle to these other names is gone.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
williambonard #2125717 07/31/13 06:45 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the information all, it's highly appreciated. I guess from where I'm standing, I can read information and interpret other's ideas on Feurich and what they think, but until I try the piano for myself it's incredibly hard for me to judge them as they are.

Unfortunately, it's not currently feasible for me to fly over to Germany (as much as I'd love to!). However, that's on my bucket list. So when I one day buy my Steingraeber, I'll fly out and meet Udo and hopefully get a tour of the factory where they're made.

Last edited by williambonard; 07/31/13 06:48 AM.

williambonard #2125733 07/31/13 07:54 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The following is MY OPINION ONLY!

I'm pretty close to the whole situation and I wouldn't describe it the same way Norbert does...

Julius very unexpectedly withdrew from the licensing agreement he had after selling his company to Wendl & Lung. This means there are no more handbuilt Feurich's coming from Gunzenhausen as the factory was included in the sale to W&L.

The ones that came from there (Gunzenhausen) are quite beautiful (I have an ebony 172) with the characteristic Feurich dark eastern european sound.

Feurich (without Julius) is re-starting European manufacturing, based in Vienna as it appears now. I'm following the details closely and it is not yet clear to me in what country the JF pianos are made.

We showed the Feurich M series at the PTG Convention in Chicago, to great reaction. These are the Ningbo made series, customized here in the US.

williambonard #2125765 07/31/13 09:53 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BoseEric
it is not yet clear to me in what country the JF pianos are made.

Being "pretty close to the whole situation", you might want to visit JF pianos webpage. A quick perusal of the "History" and "Contact" pages reveals that they are made in Germany.

I sense that there are many stories untold, somewhere in-between
... Norbert's version ("got screwed over royally"),
... your version ("very unexpectedly withdrew"),
... Larry Fine's company profiles,
... Feurich's (i.e. Wendl&Lung's) version, e.g. on feurich.com, and
... Mr Julius Feurich himself.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
LinkedIn profile
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
williambonard #2125767 07/31/13 10:01 AM
W
OP Offline
W
BoseEric, the F172 I've seen (pictured in the original post) is one of the Feurich pianos made in their Gunzenhausen factory if I'm correct.

Julius Feurich himself, as I'm sure you're now aware, has his own company 'JF' manufacturing what was the traditional Feurich pianos before the venture (and split) from Wendl & Lung/Hailun.

Of course, Julius Feurich cannot use the 'Feurich' brand name due to the laws and infringements set in place, hence the company now being known as JF. The Feurich name and brand was part of the agreement settled with Wendl & Lung when the two companies originally ventured together.

williambonard #2125778 07/31/13 10:34 AM
Not knowing the exact details is one thing but fact is that Feurich, like Seiler in Kitzingen, started years ago to use upright cases made in China.

They are not the only ones: several other manufacturers trying to stay competitive started to farm out work and bring in stuff made elsewhere.

This as opposed to those who stayed the course building everything 100% in Germany and aiming at highest possible quality.

Today, the verdict of "who was right" and doing well in today's economy is in. The result may surprise you.

It's for consumers to find out which is which and what "option" suits one best.

Not to say that this is always fully revealed to customers...

Norbert blush

Last edited by Norbert; 07/31/13 10:39 AM.

www.heritagepianos.com
604-951-8642
BoseEric #2125840 07/31/13 12:17 PM
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
BoseEric, are you sure that Wendl & Lung owns the Gunzenhausen factory now? "Piano Buyer" still indicates that the JF company is still located in Gunzenhausen. It is entirely possible that Julius Feurich has established a new factory in the same town as the old Feurich factory. I wouldn't know.

Does Wendl & Lung own the rights to the Feurich scale designs? If that is the case, the current JF pianos use new scale designs.

Last edited by Almaviva; 07/31/13 12:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,571
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission