2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sandalholme
stores: a genuine question and re Mozart and the score. K311, 1st movt, bar 51. My Henle Urtext edition gives a naturalised C in the 2nd half of the bar (RH). It has always sounded wrong to me - I play the C# as in the 1st half of the bar. Apart from bar 41 it's the first appearance of a C natural, although there are quite a few further on. No comments in the notes to the edition.

Is there a good harmonic reason for the C natural? Should I just get used to the shock (to me) of the C natural in that bar? It has puzzled me for some time as I much prefer to play the notes as written and learn the reasons for what appears to be a "wrong" note.

C natural is correct. The harmonic reason is that the chord with the c-natural in it is a diminished vii triad (vii of IV) applied to the following G-chord. Mozart would not typically use a C-sharp there because a F# minor chord to G major chord is not a stylistically classical resolution. The diminished is more appropriate to the period because there are dual semi-tone resolutions: the F#-G in the bass and C-B in the middle voice. I think you should try to get used to it. Remember that it is there to give a strong resolution to the G chord, it's not supposed to sound like a sweet movement from the chord before. It's intentionally deceptive, trying to surprise you. Try to listen for the descending chromatic line in the middle, C#-C-B to help your ear accept it.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I posted something earlier on in this thread that in a more pussyfooting way tried to say what stores said more clearly and emphatically. I, too, know a fair bit about 18th C ornamentation, and everything I know points to this Mozart example as not gray at all. Stores *is* the voice to be heeded: this is a simple trill commencing on the note above.

If you want to play this ornament with 3 notes, starting on the principal note, going up, then back, you are playing a pretend ornament that did not exist in Mozart`s day. Or in Bach`s day. It`s historically wrong.

You can play it that wrong way, of course, and perhaps few listeners can hear the difference, and it might feel more pianistic under your fingers to play a trill upside down and inaccurately. In the grand scheme of life this debate may seem trivial. And obviously there are rivalries on this board I don`t know about. But stores has given the OP a good answer to his query.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 07/29/13 05:03 PM.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Many thanks ando. I will go and educate my ears!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
.....and to Peter's post:

When some knowledgeable people say that something can only be one way, and other equally knowledgeable people say it's more complicated and that it's flexible and arguable, which side would usually tend to be right?

I'd also love to see anyone on your side reply to Antony's point about doubling the leading tone. I don't mean that this says you have to do the 3-note version, just that it's a point in favor of it -- and if you want to try to be academic and doctrinaire about it, you need to deal with points like that.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Because you like it doesn't mean it is correct

That's what you're not getting. There is no 'correct' in art.

Do what you like... it makes no difference to me

Your activity on a recent thread proves otherwise.

but keep in mind that you'll never be taken seriously

Plain false. Countless famous professionals have been known to change notes. Some less obvious, some glaringly obvious. Do you really think they aren't being taken seriously? Hah. I once went to a concert where a famous violinist was making little improvs during the Sibelius concerto throughout the whole show.

I guarantee you it will be highlighted should you decide to insert your own alterations into the score while playing in a masterclass, or for any notable, knowledgeable teacher.

This assumes that you already know every teacher in the world is a purist. This would seem to contradict the famous pianists who do make changes to the score and also give masterclasses. Also, if a student is smart and knows his environment, he/she isn't going to play any alterations for a purist teacher. You wait until you're on the stage before an audience. An audience you know isn't full of purists who can ruin your career. Or if you're confident in your alteration and a real artist, nothing will stop you ever. I highly respect that.

It isn't about whether I think it sounds good and saying so simply means you don't understand the point.

No, you don't understand the point. The point is that art isn't bound up in any of your idealistic chains.

....and in the case of this thread, it isn't even about deviating from the score, just how to interpret it.

There is such a very wide range of opinion on all such aspects, including that many people who are extreme sticklers for sticking to scores, like Stores and (I guess) Peter, still have flexible views about how to interpret them. Being strict about scores doesn't at all necessarily mean being rigid on exactly how to play an ornament.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Perhaps I got a little off topic? grin

Originally Posted by JoelW
Perhaps I got a little off topic? grin

Just a little. smile
(sort of a merging of topics from 2 related threads)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
.....and to Peter's post:

When some knowledgeable people say that something can only be one way, and other equally knowledgeable people say it's more complicated and that it's flexible and arguable, which side would usually tend to be right?

I'd also love to see anyone on your side reply to Antony's point about doubling the leading tone. I don't mean that this says you have to do the 3-note version, just that it's a point in favor of it -- and if you want to try to be academic and doctrinaire about it, you need to deal with points like that.

I'm not trying to offend, but in this case the "other equally knowledgeable people" are not. Mark, it really is quite simple... there is no three note version. Play it that way, if you must, but that isn't what Mozart has written. It simply doesn't exist.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

What can you say about leaping up to the doubled leading tone?

None of you are touching that. (Maybe because it would require realizing that the subject isn't so simple?) Plus, what Jeffrey and Jason (Beet31425) said about when the figure is approached from below.

There are rules, and there are exceptions to rules. I agree that what you're saying is a "rule," although with quotes around it. We mainly just disagree on exceptions -- and using judgment.

From "Perspectives on Mozart Performance" (R. Larry Todd and Peter Williams, editors):

[Linked Image]

Badura-Skoda goes on to say:

"Not only in piano music, but in orchestral works, there
are many instances where a main-note start of a trill is
desirable for harmonic and melodic reasons."

He then gives two examples and says:

"Alas, nowadays nearly all orchestral players start these
trills with the upper note, evidently because they are 'well
instructed' that a Mozart trill must start from above."

Luthrin: Thanks for posting this!

Originally Posted by Luthrin
From "Perspectives on Mozart Performance" (R. Larry Todd and Peter Williams, editors):

[Linked Image]

Calling Stores, Peter, Greg, and anyone who might still want to insist that the rigid "start-on-the-upper-note" view is the only 'correct' one and that the rest of us are dolts. grin

To be clear: I'm not saying at all that starting on the principal note is how you have to do it in the current example; I'm not even sure I'd do it that way, although I'm pretty sure I would, with the "leaping-to-the-leading-tone" factor mentioned by Antony being the probable clincher (and not because of pure music theory but because I regard this as a probable underlying explanation for why my ear seems to dislike and reject that version). But all I'm really saying is that the subject is open for reasonable debate and subjectivity, and that it's simply WRONG to say that your way is the only correct way. If you insist otherwise, you're up against Badura-Skoda (as well as many others).

But don't worry -- you've got company: ME. ha
Because if he meant to imply that the short upper-note trill (like the 4-note version in the current example) 'doesn't exist' -- and he seems to come close to that, doesn't he -- I would disagree with him too, just as I'd disagree with your saying that the 3-note version "doesn't exist." I don't think we can say that either way is simply wrong, and to that extent, I'm supporting you, against Badura-Skoda -- supporting the reasonableness of your preference, although not your insistence on it, and I think you'd be on firmer ground if you cited reasons besides just a supposed rule.

By the way: The others that you're up against would seem to include even C.P.E. Bach, because of how he allowed for exceptions.

Last edited by Mark_C; 07/29/13 10:17 PM.
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P

Calling Stores, Peter, Polyph, Greg, and anyone who might still want to insist that the rigid "start-on-the-upper-note" view is the only 'correct' one and that the rest of us are dolts. grin

Hey, wait a minute - when did I ever say that? I actually never gave my opinion on the matter, and I think I'll continue to refrain from doing so. wink

Regards,

Polyphonist
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Hey, wait a minute....

Well, I was going on that post of yours about "feeble arguments." The fact that you said someone else's arguments were also feeble didn't seem to outweigh what you led off with. grin

But you're right. I should edit the above post, and I will.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Luthrin: Thanks for posting this!

Originally Posted by Luthrin

[Linked Image]

Calling Stores, Peter, Greg, and anyone who might still want to insist that the rigid "start-on-the-upper-note" view is the only 'correct' one and that the rest of us are dolts. grin

To be clear: I'm not saying at all that starting on the principal note is how you have to do it in the current example; I'm not even sure I'd do it that way, although I'm pretty sure I would, with the "leaping-to-the-leading-tone" factor mentioned by Antony being the probable clincher (and not because of pure music theory but because I regard this as a probable underlying explanation for why my ear seems to dislike and reject that version). But all I'm really saying is that the subject is open for reasonable debate and subjectivity, and that it's simply WRONG to say that your way is the only correct way. If you insist otherwise, you're up against Badura-Skoda (as well as many others).

But don't worry -- you've got company: ME. ha
Because if he meant to imply that the short upper-note trill (like the 4-note version in the current example) 'doesn't exist' -- and he seems to come close to that, doesn't he -- I would disagree with him too, just as I'd disagree with your saying that the 3-note version "doesn't exist." I don't think we can say that either way is simply wrong, and to that extent, I'm supporting you, against Badura-Skoda -- supporting the reasonableness of your preference, although not your insistence on it, and I think you'd be on firmer ground if you cited reasons besides just a supposed rule.

By the way: The others that you're up against would seem to include even C.P.E. Bach, because of how he allowed for exceptions.

Now we're talking, because I've actually studied with Badura-Skoda. Would I disagree with him on this subject? No, because he's correct. He would be the first, however, to tell you that your "three note version" (which isn't a trill at all is it?) doesn't exist, Mark. I've not stated anywhere that I'm insistent on trills beginning on the upper note, but as a rule they almost always do throughout the classical era (which I believe I've already stated elsewhere). What I HAVE stated is that the "tr" sign does NOT translate to "mordent", which you're insistent on seeing here. With this work, however, yes, I WOULD insist on the trill beginning on the upper note.

Of course, you would disagree with a scholar like Badura-Skoda, wouldn't you? That surprises me not. But what have you to base your disagreement on? Other than the hope that someone will produce some information backing up your belief, nothing.
Let it go.
Just so you know, I think no less of you for your stance on the issue. It is one I've heard numerous times from students who have only begun to do their homework. It is a common thing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Hey, wait a minute....

Well, I was going on that post of yours about "feeble arguments." The fact that you said someone else's arguments were also feeble didn't seem to outweigh what you led off with. grin

I wasn't actually debating the quality of your argument, I was merely making the point that the discussion wasn't going anywhere. Sorry if you were offended. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
Relatively nice post, Stores -- mere condescension rather than insults. ha

Still no comment on the relevant questions, but I guess that is indeed too much to expect. smile

Regarding the basis for my possible disagreement with Badura-Skoda, which you lambasted: There are any number of bases. The easiest is simply that in the current example, most high-level performances seem to do a version of the trill (i.e. the "4-note version") that he comes close to implying doesn't exist. In fact, it's the version that you yourself have endorsed. This is very odd: you criticized (actually mocked) grin my possible disagreement with Badura-Skoda even though you share it. Somehow you must not have realized that you do, although that's hard to understand.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Relatively nice post, Stores -- mere condescension rather than insults. ha

Still no comment on the relevant questions, but I guess that is indeed too much to expect. smile

Regarding the basis for my possible disagreement with Badura-Skoda, which you lambasted: There are any number of bases. The easiest is simply that in the current example, most high-level performances seem to do a version of the trill (i.e. the "4-note version") that he comes close to implying doesn't exist. In fact, it's the version that you yourself have endorsed. This is very odd: you criticized (actually mocked) grin my possible disagreement with Badura-Skoda even though you share it. Somehow you must not have realized that you do, although that's hard to understand.

No comment on the relevant questions? The thread, let me refresh your memory, is about a trill found in Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and that is what I've been addressing. It would seem to be THE relevant question.

What some do on recordings is only where we begin with an investigation. And yes, the 4 note ornament does exist as I've heard it many times. B-S (as we loved calling him, though not to his face ha!) does more than imply a 4 note trill, Mark. Every ornament on his list makes use of 4 notes. I agree with him completely on this issue, if I didn't make that clear enough earlier. This doesn't mean that I haven't disagreed with him on plenty of other things, but we think alike here. Just stop reading so much into things. You seem to really enjoy doing that even though there isn't anything there and there isn't in this case.
Again, let it go.

♪ ≠ $

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by stores
B-S (as we loved calling him, though not to his face ha!) does more than imply a 4 note trill, Mark. Every ornament on his list makes use of 4 notes.

You are wrong. The third item on his list, the "short trill" is a three-note trill. The two terms in parenthesis for that item, Pralltriller and Schneller, are both defined as an inverted mordent in Grove. And the inverted mordent is just three notes.

It is true that at one time, the term Pralltriller was a four note trill starting on the upper auxiliary, but that is not how he used it in the list, since he gives it as a synonym for Scheller, which never was a four-note trill.

Of course, you may want to argue that Grove is wrong, too, but some cites at least as solid as Grove would be in order if you do.

Badura-Skoda's article on Mozart's trills from "Perspectives on Mozart Performance" was first published in 1991. Here's the beginning of the five-page section discussing case (3) on the list of 'tr' meanings:

[Linked Image]

The following is from the ornamentation chapter of his 1961 book "Interpreting Mozart on the Keyboard" (co-authored with his wife Eva). The authors earlier define a 'prepared' trill as always starting on the upper auxiliary and an 'unprepared' one starting on the main note.

[This book is freely available at openlibrary.org]

[Linked Image]

At the end of the chapter the authors say:

"We believe that in Mozart half-shakes usually begin on the main note."

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission