2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I'm grateful for the help I got the first time round, and beg everyone's patience for help with new problems. It's a steep learning curve.

I'm using Goldwave as software, in case that makes a difference.

I now do get input directly to the computer as sound so that one is solved. Two things have cropped up:

- It's recording as mono, going into the "right". I'm doing an artificial "stereo" by copying the "right" onto the "left" so that you hear the same sound in both ears. It's not true stereo. I think that the lower notes should be heard in the left, the higher notes in the right, and the middle notes I guess would be distributed. Is that right?

- I also think the sound is being adjusted and equalized to a degree, so that my pianissimo comes out as mp, and fortissimo is made quieter. I'm trying to record music which ends with piano, and then sudden sforzando ff -- it's not there. The contrast seems muted. frown

I can record into the piano's recording device, and then let that recording play into the room over and over. That is the music that I then transmit over the cable into Goldwave. Therefore if I record this several times over, I should have exactly the same results each time, but that is not happening. I can also see it in the squiggles. As follows:

I had a very short passage of maybe 20 seconds or less. I turned the volume on the piano to 100% or 75% or 50% during playback to see if it made a difference to what was fed through the cable. It did. 50% played quieter than 100%, and with less contrast, just like it does through your ear phones. BUT, if I played it at 100% ... pause ... replay at 100% a second time - with the recording running the whole time, I did not get the same results. I saw a sharp spike the first time round, showing a high volume (it was a forte section) which subsided a bit, and then went down because it was diminuendo. The next time that sharp spike was not there, and the contrast was less. It should have shown the same thing in the squiggles since it was exactly the same music being played back.

So what is going on, and what can I do about it? Many thanks in advance. smile

Last edited by keystring; 07/26/13 11:20 AM.
First things first, you should be recording in stereo, not mono.

If only one channel is being recorded, I recommend you double-check your wiring configuration.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Kawai James
First things first, you should be recording in stereo, not mono.

If only one channel is being recorded, I recommend you double-check your wiring configuration.

Kind regards,
James
x

What do I check for? I have a single jack even though the piano has two outlets. When I use headphones I hear a very low bass note in either ear, and in both. Does this help any?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing your computer uses a 1\8" input which is stereo.

You might consider a Y cable, two mono plugs (from the piano) ending up into a single stereo plug (going to the computer).

Also, your piano might have a stereo output on one of those two outputs. A stereo jack (a three segmented plug) from the piano to your computer might give you stereo.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
If you`re taking an output from the piano headphone socket, it will be stereo. On pianos these days, the stereo effect is not marked; there`ll be little difference between left and right. But put them together, and you get a semi decent stereo effect, but not pronounced. If you want to hear the audio with the headphones and you only have one output, use a "y" splitter for the two connections into the headphone socket.
This is fed into your computer "line in" socket at the back, which will hopefully be the same as your headphone socket on the piano. DON`T feed it into the mic socket. THat is mono!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
OP Offline
Originally Posted by peterws

This is fed into your computer "line in" socket at the back, which will hopefully be the same as your headphone socket on the piano. DON`T feed it into the mic socket. Tat is mono!

It is fed into the "line in" socket. That was your advice earlier, and we did that.

What is the reason for the piano having two sockets?

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

A lot of recording software has "automatic gain control" for the input. That is, it will adjust the gain of the "Line In" or "Mic In" signal, to get a reasonable digital recording level. ["Reasonable", here, means what the _software_ is aiming for.]

A side-effect of this:

. . . The level of the softest passages may be raised,
. . . and/or the level of the loudest passages may be reduced.

So, if you can turn the auto-gain-control OFF, you may find that your "pp" comes out "pp", and your "FF" comes out "FF".

. Charles

PS -- I have no experience with Goldwave -- read the manual.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by keystring

What is the reason for the piano having two sockets?

Two headphone sockets? One for you, one for your teacher or duet partner.

Two line in/out sockets? Stereo.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Do you see both channel meters (L and R) responding, while recording in Goldwave?
If not, have you selected 'stereo' in the 'File'>'New Sound' dialog box?

Rob
OP Offline
Quick question as I check these things out:

Does "DC Offset" play a role? - edit: I don't think so because the results are still the same. I have more volume and more contrast when it's turned off, but there is also faint high pitched crackling sound, while the piano also sounds "more real".

[I know almost nothing. (!!!)]

I had the piano play back its internal recording twice into the computer. I've drawn a line where the 2nd playback of the same thing starts. At the * the spike doesn't happen the second time.

It's been suggested that I switch to Audacity from Goldwave.

You can also see that one of the inputs flatlines (mono).
[Linked Image]

Last edited by keystring; 07/27/13 10:30 AM.
Audacity`s great and easy to use. It`s also free, enough to put a smile on any ole geezer`s face. I reckon you will lose a little light and shade after the recording process has taken it`s toll. But - I noticed this - keep the volume fairly high when you`re playing back and it`ll sound so much better!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
OP Offline
This is the same snippet taken from my piano's memory, recorded with the DC Filter off, and how it sounded originally while it was still on. Either way, it's adjusting something but less of it is lost. (This is from something I was practising). I have an entry level Clavinova, CLP 320.
https://app.box.com/shared/static/qlxgrku4dj5d8e2ncp8a.mp3

Last edited by keystring; 07/27/13 12:28 PM.
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
From the image you posted, it would appear that there is a problem with the cable being used to connect the PC to the DP.
It should have a TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) jack on either end.
Could you describe what you are using?

Rob
OP Offline
Originally Posted by R0B
From the image you posted, it would appear that there is a problem with the cable being used to connect the PC to the DP.
It should have a TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) jack on either end.
Could you describe what you are using?

The cable was plugged into an extension, and all the jacks seemed to be TRS. But we happened to have a spare extension, which btw also looked a bit thicker (which could be the casing) and I decided to use that one. Now it's stereo. The top is the same section that is in the other recording, same size. The bottom shows the same thing recorded twice, and we still have some kind of adjusting going on. But that's problem 2.

MANY THANKS! One thing solved.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by keystring; 07/27/13 10:20 PM.
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Glad you have got stereo now smile

I have downloaded a demo version of Goldwave, and I will see if I can replicate the problem you are having.

Btw, If you record your playing 'live' into Goldwave, does it sound ok?

Rob
OP Offline
Originally Posted by R0B
Glad you have got stereo now smile

I have downloaded a demo version of Goldwave, and I will see if I can replicate the problem you are having.

Btw, If you record your playing 'live' into Goldwave, does it sound ok?

I really appreciate you trying this. That's above and beyond. smile

I haven't tried "live" yet. I had wondered if it would make a difference. In theory I thought that whatever is recorded into the piano will replicate itself in the computer as it plays, because it will be playing as if I'm playing. But why should I assume that it is so?

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I just recorded a short snippet on a Yamaha keyboard, and played it back three times, whist Goldwave was running.
All three waveforms looked and sounded, identical, down to the point where I intentionally made the recording 'clip' at one point. ...puzzling confused

https://app.box.com/s/2fitstofcswgy588irso

It may be worth un-installing and re-installing Goldwave, just to be sure everything is returned to original settings, and try again?

Rob

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission