2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2123669 07/27/13 05:05 AM
J
JanVan Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I was wondering whether it is better to practice every day or to insert regular resting days away from the piano to let everything sink in and allow the brain and muscles to fully absorb what has been accomplished during thoughtful and concentrated practice the days before.

If resting days are truly beneficial to growth and progress, what would be a good practice schedule (e.g. 3 days of practice and 1 day of rest or 5 days of practice and 2 days of rest)?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You can probably get the resting day effect just as much by alternating the pieces you're working one as by skipping a day of practice. In support of skipping out a day though, one of our members here was forced by her parents to skip a day of practice each week for Sabbath observance when she was growing up and thought the missed day actually did her a lot of good.
Personally, I feel kind of naked if I haven't practiced at least some each day.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I think that the answer to this question depends upon each individual's learning style. If you find that a day away from the piano at regular intervals is helpful, then do so. If you find that it makes little difference, then don't concern yourself about it.

I'm not sure that there is a definitive answer to this question, although one could collect anecdotal evidence from various musicians.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by JanVan
I was wondering whether it is better to practice every day or to insert regular resting days away from the piano to let everything sink in and allow the brain and muscles to fully absorb what has been accomplished during thoughtful and concentrated practice the days before.

Practice every day, and slowly for the majority of the time. The growth, development, and muscle rest you're talking about happens in the other 18-20 hours during the day when you're not practicing. Two days off puts you back to square one.

N
N
Practice every day, but don't practice the same thing(s) every day.

Sometimes a forced day off has helped me tremendously, and sometimes it's set me back significantly. It's not reliable or consistent, and I think it's best to just aim to practice every day. Tedium can be very counterproductive, but fight it by practicing something else, or sightreading, or practicing your ear training, rather than simply walking away.

G
G
i try to practice every day. 99% of the time i look forward to it but sometimes i take a few days off. in fact i have been known to burn out and take a few months off if my progress slows or i feel other kinds of pressure - i know that is a terrible thing to do. what helps the most is to not put pressure on myself. the moment i sign up for MYOD, i kind of start not enjoying playing. same with lessons. last time i signed up for lessons (about 2 years ago), i got so burnt out i didn't play for about 6 months. i know it sounds crazy; i guess i just dont like the forced commitment. when i do it on my own, i can enjoy practice for several hours a day easily and look forward to it. i guess i am doomed to a life of piano mediocrity. but i still love playing anyway.

gw

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brendan
Originally Posted by JanVan

Practice every day, and slowly for the majority of the time. The growth, development, and muscle rest you're talking about happens in the other 18-20 hours during the day when you're not practicing. Two days off puts you back to square one.

How does a father, husband, and Uni professor as yourself manage 4-6 hours a day of practice?

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Summers are easy, we practice in shifts. During the year, it's first thing in the morning before everyone wakes up or last thing after everyone else has gone to bed (assuming we can't practice during the day at work).

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
If possible, allow no day to pass without touching your piano -Busoni

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Every day, but once a year take some time off. Like a week or two.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I repeat what I said before that I don't think one size fits all. I certainly would not categorically state that everyone should practice every day. For example, I practice six days a week, 2-1/2 hours per day and skip Sundays.

By Monday morning, I'm somewhat refreshed and certainly eager to get back to the piano, and I don't find any perceptible loss in my skills/technique/performance abilities compared to what they were when I finished on Saturday.

Each should develop his/her own routine upon what seems to work best in each case and, while making suggestions, should, I think, avoid prescribing for others.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
4 to 6 hours per day Monday through Saturday. Less on Sunday, maybe take the day off if there are no concerts or recordings pending. We have two rehearsal spaces on the property, so we don't have to fight about who does what when.

Joseph Hoffman: "If I don't practice today, I hear it. If I don't practice tomorrow as well, my wife hears it. If I don't practice the next day as well, EVERYBODY hears it!!"

Originally Posted by BruceD
I repeat what I said before that I don't think one size fits all.

Yes, that is true.

Some people cannot be absorbed for hours, so they put in little ~20 minute breaks every hour. That's called 'pattern interruption' and it helps you recharge, as long as you don't do anything related during your break.

Depending on your repertoire and your personality type, you could try practicing parts of your repertoire on alternating days. That way, you get time to absorb and refresh yourself.

The point is, yes, your mind needs time to absorb the music, but whether you need a full 48 hours to do it depends on the person. For a lot of people, a night of sleep will do the trick.

We also have to be careful of burnout; no one ever talks about burnout but it happens when we push too hard and too soon.

You have to find your own practice style. Check out this article for help on finding your best practice style-- and loving practice.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Every single day... early morning (which is why so many of my posts are made before the sun shows itself)and early evening... with the exception of vacations, which include three or four day weekend trips up north.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't like to take days off but unfortunately life gets in the way.....funny thing is I notice the missed time to be beneficial....maybe my brain has time to get new cells ready......can't get enough new cells.

rada

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Everyday is a good idea.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Frycek
You can probably get the resting day effect just as much by alternating the pieces you're working one as by skipping a day of practice........

(That works for me too)

Personally, I feel kind of naked if I haven't practiced at least some each day.

The mind boggles...... but even if the practise goes badly as one of my teachers said when I complained about seemingly making no progress all week - nothing you do at the piano is ever wasted, there is always progress. That was very comforting to hear and I remind myself of that when I get frustrated. You learn a lot about yourself as well as playing piano!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
After a day or so I start to get those nasty piano withdrawal symptoms...

1989 Baldwin R
S
S
I practise everyday, but take 2-3 days off in month or so... But dont practise same things everyday, some pieces need time to mature...

"If you want to understand the music, you don't even need ears as much as heart"

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission