2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2123114 07/26/13 01:55 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I'm a 15 year old piano student who suffers immensely from performance anxiety. Every time I go up to perform, my mom says I look confident and ready, but I can't help but tell myself I'm not. I practice enough (4-6 hours when I can, 2-3 on school nights), but when I sit down and start to play, I feel out of control. It's like my fingers are moving, but I can't decide what they do. Light hits my eyes funnily, and I feel like I've just hit fast-forward. I try to reign myself in, but then I lose what little focus I have. Does anybody have any suggestions for getting "in the moment" and stopping myself from having negative thoughts about my abilities? I will readily supply other information if it will help! Thanks so much.

Everyday is a great day.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think that this might get better with practice and with the right amount of good old competition (even if inside your head). What helped me when I was much younger was this ugly/awful idea that: "Ha! I'll do better than him/her! I'll make NO mistakes, and I'll show them! Maybe I'll also find a girlfriend this way..." grin

Honestly though, I think that the more public performances you do (even if it's for your family, or friends, or party) the better you'll do.

S
S
Hi! I completely know how you feel. I will write some things that helped me.

I think, this issue has something to do with confidence. So it's important to be yourself. Don't compare yourself to others. You play because you love it, if someone don't want to listen to your playing, they can go away or hold their ears, nobody forces them to be there. If you fail something it's not something unusual, it happens quite often. Everybody can think what they want, there is always someone who will criticize everything and everybody. For you it's important to feel well and play, because of music and your love for it :-)

Practise as well as you can, be sure you can start piece on many many places (that really helped me), so if you get lost, you should start few bars later (just the feeling you can do it helps with nervousness).

When you are playing try to listen as carefully as you can (because the hand knows where to move and can do it automatically, just brain is creating negative thoughts about how you don't know whats next eg.). Focusing on music and feeling it takes away negative thoughts - there is no time for them!!!

And every slip can be very helpful, you'll find why it happened (I often didnt know what is in left hand) , so everything that seems negative will move you further and helps you to become better pianist! So there's nothing to be afraid of!!!

"If you want to understand the music, you don't even need ears as much as heart"
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
With the idea of "practice" in mind, you should "practice performing" before others as much as you possibly can. Gather sympathetic family and friends around you - in smaller groups at first - and play as often as you can snag an audience, whatever the size.

The more experience you get playing before an audience, the more relaxed you become, the more you can concentrate on actually making good music, and, consequently, the better performer you become.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
BDB Offline
B
It sounds like you might be a good candidate for concentrated slow practice. Play your pieces so slowly that you have to focus on everything that you do to hold them together musically. Do that several times, and then gradually play them faster and faster, but be sure to maintain that focus.

Semipro Tech
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by pianorigami
I'm a 15 year old piano student who suffers immensely from performance anxiety. Every time I go up to perform, my mom says I look confident and ready, but I can't help but tell myself I'm not. I practice enough (4-6 hours when I can, 2-3 on school nights), but when I sit down and start to play, I feel out of control. It's like my fingers are moving, but I can't decide what they do. Light hits my eyes funnily, and I feel like I've just hit fast-forward. I try to reign myself in, but then I lose what little focus I have. Does anybody have any suggestions for getting "in the moment" and stopping myself from having negative thoughts about my abilities? I will readily supply other information if it will help! Thanks so much.

It sounds as if you are at that place where trust is an issue: You don't trust yourself to do what you know how to do. Developing this self trust comes with experience, but there are specific steps you can take. If most of your practicing consists of playing at tempo, then change that to practicing mostly under tempo. For many pianists, playing from memory is a major anxiety factor. So, take away most of the digital memory by playing so very slowly that you can think of the next notes before you play them and then play them deliberately. We rely on digital memory in speed, of course, but constant repetition in speed sends the other types of memory—aural, visual, intellectual—further into the unconscious. By reinforcing the other memories, you will be able to say to your yourself, yes, I know this piece. I call this giving ourselves permission to do what we know.

I know it's easier said than done, but try to find a still point in your mind before you walk on stage. I call it a safe house. In this place I can control my breathing, which I do by deliberately concentrating on it, taking deep, slow breaths. This will help slow your pulse and increase the chances of finding the right tempos, reducing that feeling of being out of control. Next, I transfer that focus to the first piece. What is the mood and what does it feel like to play the opening notes? Every pianist is unique. You will find your way. In the meantime, I hope the suggestions in the forum are helpful.

Here is a link to some golden rules for dealing with anxiety:
http://www.davidleisner.com/guitarcomposer/noname.html

Concert Pianist, University Professor, Private Teacher in Los Angeles
Blog: http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you all so much for your amazing advice!
I definitely practice under tempo, but I've never gone SUPER slow. I can't wait to try that! I actually just "performed" a Chopin Etude for a family friend (just her alone), and still felt out of control! It was rather disappointing; but I'll incorporate mindfulness and breathing exercises along with your practice tips. If you have any more, I'm always open smile
~Pianorigami

Everyday is a great day.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
You can probably work your way up:

1 - being able to play well for yourself
2 - being able to play well for your teacher
3 - being able to play well for a friend
4 - being able to play well for a group of friends
5 - being able to play well for a group of people you don't know in a casual setting

and then there's more stressful performances:

6 - performing and recording yourself
7 - performing for an adjudicator for an audition/competition
8 - performing for a large audience in a formal setting

Which of these are a problem for you?

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

One thing I would add to the excellent advice above is to consider your choice of repertoire.

Obviously this isn't always something under your own control, but to expand on Bruce's suggestion of performing frequently in front of sympathetic listeners, when you do this try to identify pieces that you feel particularly comfortable with. This is very much a personal thing – maybe it relates to ease of memorisation, the dynamics of the piece when playing under pressure, the ability to recover from errors, the exposure of the performer (e.g. when playing Mozart), and so on.

In effect you're trying to load the dice in your favour, and each successful performance with your 'best bets' in front of an audience will increase your confidence level and ease your path to playing more challenging (for you) performance pieces.

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
You can probably work your way up:

1 - being able to play well for yourself
2 - being able to play well for your teacher
3 - being able to play well for a friend
4 - being able to play well for a group of friends
5 - being able to play well for a group of people you don't know in a casual setting

and then there's more stressful performances:

6 - performing and recording yourself
7 - performing for an adjudicator for an audition/competition
8 - performing for a large audience in a formal setting

Which of these are a problem for you?

Someday I'll reach level two!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
A
A
I am up to Kuanpiano's level 5 so I cannot help much.
Other posts are good and I agree much with Luthrin.
When I love a piece and enjoy it I always play better for a crowd then when I do not love the piece.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Play in a piano store!

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
On that feeling of being 'out of control' in performance: I think that it can sometimes be helpful to embrace that feeling. You will feel different when performing and won't have the same type of controlled feeling that you have in practice. A lot of performance involves letting go and allowing your body and mind to do what they've learned to do, without self-censoring and criticism.

This is not so easy, of course. You might find the exercises in Kenny Werner's book Effortless Mastery to be helpful.

(I'm not an advanced pianist but have lots of experience with performance anxiety!)

Personally, my best performances have come from a state of detachment that is probably the closest I'll ever come to an out-of-body experience. Wonderful (for me, and I hope nice for others) but very far from a feeling of being in control!

1989 Baldwin R
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's all about focus. And breathing deeply, especially before going on stage. And focusing!!!!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough. I struggle with it too, but that's the vital part.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
This may not be your cup of tea, but try going into a performance expecting mistakes. Expect them and accept them, beforehand. If you do make some mistakes, so be it. You're okay. But if your performance was totally clean, think of how satisfying it would be.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Depends on the piece too. I recently performed Ondine (which I recently learned) and was nervous as heck, and then followed up with Widmung (which I've performed several times) which felt so comfortable.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
This may not be your cup of tea, but try going into a performance expecting mistakes. Expect them and accept them, beforehand. If you do make some mistakes, so be it. You're okay.

this too!!!!!!!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
One obvious thought is to discuss this issue with your teacher. If you are uncomfortable with this, or your teacher's responses are unhelpful, you might consider doing some outside coaching on performance anxiety. Could be with another music teacher, could be with a drama teacher, could be with an athletic coach, could be with a psychotherapist. Could be with any mentor you trust.

You might also explore the world of meditation.

My guess,however, is that these thoughts are *not* crippling your playing as much as you think. So as others have said, you might try try the path of acceptance. Just keep playing for others.

P
OP Offline
P
I would say that 1-4 are fine, as well as 8 (if the stage is light but everything else is dark). However, 5-7 are hard for me.

Everyday is a great day.
P
OP Offline
P
I honestly don't think I even want to do that. I feel like that's telling myself I'm not good enough to be happy with my performance, so I need to lower my standards, you know? smirk
But thanks- any advice is advice, and I appreciate it smile

Everyday is a great day.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission