2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by kpembrook
Originally Posted by BDB
A dead mouse crushed under the keys, recent enough to be stinky!

Gak! sick

Originally Posted by OperaTenor
Originally Posted by BDB

How did you handle that?

Me, I probably would have horked on the spot...

Wimps! smile

Semipro Tech
N
N
We went to pick up a tall upright once and when we got to the piano it was moving by itself. The veneer was moving. Upon closer inspection it was the dormant termites in the yard sale piano they bought years earlier.

They had gone through the carpet which was the only thing supporting the weight , eaten the floor joists, sub floor, and gotten through the wall into the kitchen. I'd say that was the worst I'd ever seen.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB

Maybe this happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2llVyPmHg#t=2m

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by kpembrook
Originally Posted by BDB

Gak! sick

Originally Posted by BDB

How did you handle that?

Me, I probably would have horked on the spot...

Wimps! smile

Yessir, I am. That kind of biohazard stuff gives me the willies.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Loren D
In the late 1980s, a very kind, very good, and very old piano teacher decided she would do a final recital for her students. To make it special, she was going to use 6 pianos and do a kind of piano ensemble for the finale.

For the recital, she had her piano moved to an elementary school stage. She then rented the other 5 pianos from a furniture store that "also sells pianos."

I showed up the morning of the recital to tune the six pianos for that evening's recital. Her piano was in decent shape since I would tune it roughly every six months. The other five? They were a blend of 80s vintage Wurlitzer spinets and consoles, all a minimum of 100 cents flat. Seems the furniture store sold pianos as a sideline and didn't really care much about keeping them in tune while they sat on the floor.

That was not a fun day.

Maybe this tuner has the answer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9UICSlp5es

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
It was back in the late 1970s and it was a 4-1/2 year old Steinway Model M. The complaint was “dead bass strings.” I began to identify the problem as I walked up on the porch to ring the bell; there was the strong odor of a cat litter box long in need of changing and cleaning. Except that the litter box turned out to be the piano; the strings were black and there was a half-inch layer of dried cat urine and poop covering the soundboard.

I considered simply leaving but, as a favor to the dealer, I went ahead with the job. I ordered the new strings and enlisted the aid of an assistant. We took every cleaning aid known to mankind with us along with masks and a large window fan. I'll not go into the sordid details of the job—it was worse than your worst nightmare—but the stench was so bad that I can almost smell it today as I write this.

When I gave the owner the bill—it was considerably higher than the normal charge for replacing bass strings—she had the audacity to suggest that, since the piano was only 4-1/2 years old and bass strings should last longer than that, this should really be covered under warranty and would I please send the bill to Steinway. I declined explaining that by allowing her cats to use her piano as a litter box she would have voided any reasonable warranty. She was certainly entitled to try but I wouldn't do it for her; I'll take cash or a check now if you don't mind. She grudgingly paid and I don't know if she ever tried to collect from Steinway or not; when it came to her cats she seemed to have a mental disconnect of some kind.

If you had met her away from her home she would have appeared to be a perfectly normal person. She worked as a dental hygienist in a local clinic. I made sure to get the name of that clinic so I could be sure to avoid it (and her) in the future. She did not go on my list of people to call for repeat tunings and, thankfully, I never heard from her again.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Had one - and thankfully only one - similar "cat" experience. The difference was: piano - a relatively new "DH Baldwin" Grand. Person, a piano teacher. Job took two days: one to clean the instrument thoroughly, and the other to install new bass strings, etc. And, of course, the numerous trips back to pull 'em up. No warranty coverage was requested. Yes, for me it was as unpleasant as you state, Del.

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Del wins ....... or loses, I guess...

That woman may be a sufferer of Toxoplasmosis. It is theorized that "cat ladies" have been exposed to the parasite, and develop a somewhat unnatural attraction to cats.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

That woman may be a sufferer of Toxoplasmosis. It is theorized that "cat ladies" have been exposed to the parasite, and develop a somewhat unnatural attraction to cats.

I have no idea what she suffered from. I can say that she seemed oblivious to the stench that permeated her whole house. It was like she didn't smell it at all.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Del
It was back in the late 1970s and it was a 4-1/2 year old Steinway Model M. The complaint was “dead bass strings.” I began to identify the problem as I walked up on the porch to ring the bell; there was the strong odor of a cat litter box long in need of changing and cleaning. Except that the litter box turned out to be the piano; the strings were black and there was a half-inch layer of dried cat urine and poop covering the soundboard.

I considered simply leaving but, as a favor to the dealer, I went ahead with the job. I ordered the new strings and enlisted the aid of an assistant. We took every cleaning aid known to mankind with us along with masks and a large window fan. I'll not go into the sordid details of the job—it was worse than your worst nightmare—but the stench was so bad that I can almost smell it today as I write this.

When I gave the owner the bill—it was considerably higher than the normal charge for replacing bass strings—she had the audacity to suggest that, since the piano was only 4-1/2 years old and bass strings should last longer than that, this should really be covered under warranty and would I please send the bill to Steinway. I declined explaining that by allowing her cats to use her piano as a litter box she would have voided any reasonable warranty. She was certainly entitled to try but I wouldn't do it for her; I'll take cash or a check now if you don't mind. She grudgingly paid and I don't know if she ever tried to collect from Steinway or not; when it came to her cats she seemed to have a mental disconnect of some kind.

If you had met her away from her home she would have appeared to be a perfectly normal person. She worked as a dental hygienist in a local clinic. I made sure to get the name of that clinic so I could be sure to avoid it (and her) in the future. She did not go on my list of people to call for repeat tunings and, thankfully, I never heard from her again.

ddf

Wow! You're practically a saint for continuing with that job, I commend you for it.

Sometimes it feels like we are living in a human zoo known as planet Earth.

Tuner-Technician

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

I believe in this theory. I've met people that seem to love their cats more than life itself. I know a woman who talks about her cats continuously, no matter where she happens to be.

Tuner-Technician

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
...ain't it the truth =^..^=

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Not as bad as some of the other stories, but sometimes you get stuck halfway into a job and can't get away.

I was in a home one time that had several automatic artificial air fresheners and potpourri pots situated around the place. One fourth of the way through the tuning I started to get queasy as an automatic room odorizer sitting on a table nearby would squirt something out into the air every few minutes. Nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. I could taste it and smell it on my clothes for a long time.

Tuner-Technician

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Isn't it Ryan with the custom shirts and 'pianod-up' truck? I wonder if has a logo haz-mat suit?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If this was in the form of a contest, I'd have to vote for Del's dilemma. Eeewou!

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Experience has taught me that sometimes it is better to just walk away.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by David Jenson
If this was in the form of a contest, I'd have to vote for Del's dilemma. Eeewou!

+1
thumb sick

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

Thing about that is, it's common with outdoor cats, not indoor. It's also found in the soil, making fruits and vegetables a risk unless washed really good. Toxoplasmosis is often associated with cats, but there are many ways you can get it. Indoor cats would be the least of my worries. Only reason I know is from a vet and MD while going through a relative's pregnancy.

That's #1. #2 is, it amazes me how many people point to Wikipedia as a reliable source of information! I could go change that article right now to say that toxoplasmosis is more prevalent in Italians who drive Chevrolets, and someone could quote it as a source before it was corrected (if ever).

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Wow, I just read this interesting fact. Did you know that toxoplasmosis is more prevalent in Italians who drive Chevrolets?

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
L
Loren D Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
Wow, I just read this interesting fact. Did you know that toxoplasmosis is more prevalent in Italians who drive Chevrolets?

Lol see what I mean? smile

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission