2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1227725 07/06/09 01:09 PM
-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Anyone have any experience with this? Apparently I have one.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Well, there goes your career as a major league pitcher!

Semipro Tech
BDB #1227746 07/06/09 01:53 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't know for sure that my rotator cuff was "torn," but I did have difficulty with it about five years ago. I found myself unable to lift my left arm much above my head. As a practical matter, I was unable to use my left arm to remove luggage from the compartments in an airplane. It didn't get to the point of affecting piano playing.

The doctor prescribed physical therapy. I went for a half an hour twice a month for six months. I was given exercises to do every day, which took about a half an hour. My shoulder got better and better. At the end of the physical therapy, I was given four exercises to do every day, which takes less than ten minutes. my shoulder has been fine ever since.

So if the damage hasn't gone too far, I think you can overcome it without much difficulty.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
I hope I have your same experience. I apparently haven't lost any mobility. It's just very painful. I don't like the idea of surgery. I'm supposed to be evaulated for physical therapy later this week. So far it hasn't affected my playing.

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry about your pain, Frycek--- that alone can affect playing and a lot of other things. But what you report is very hopeful: you've seen the doc, they're trying PT first which means, for one thing, they think it could help, and for another, they're not rushing you into surgery.

But if it comes to that, the outcomes are very good, and the surgical procedures have gotten a lot better.

I've enjoyed your posts on the Chopin thread. Best wishes on your recovery.

Clef

E
E
Yiikes.

Rotator cuff injury was a particularly painful time of my life. Was pretty severe, and took about 7 months till I could use my right arm with confidence for everyday activities like brushing my teeth.

I couldn't raise my arm above shoulder level, even to flip switches.

However it won't affect your playing if the piano is at a slightly low position. Jumps may be slightly hard if your shoulder is the same state was mine was.

I doubt you could get it playing the piano. You probably play basketball (like I did) or baseball or you must be really old.

EDIT: The pain, excruciating though it may be, goes in a week or two.

Last edited by ecthelion; 07/06/09 04:41 PM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Frycek, sorry to hear this. But I think what Jeff says is worth repeating.
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
But what you report is very hopeful: you've seen the doc, they're trying PT first which means, for one thing, they think it could help, and for another, they're not rushing you into surgery.

Two of my friends have recently had to deal with this, and have had surgery. Both report that it wasn't as bad as they'd thought, and one (18 months on) raves about the difference it's made to her life (for the better smile ). Best wishes to you.

Du holde Kunst...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I had a tear in my left rotator cuff requiring surgical repair. It's perfect now.

My main problem was that I'd wake up in the morning with pain in the left shoulder, and be unable to move it myself, having to put my body in a position to get gravity to pull the arm down into a more comfortable place. I went on with that for years, thinking it was normal aging. My orthopod had to put in an anchor to tie down some wayward muscle, and the arm was totally unable to abduct for a month, when I started physical therapy. But, as I said, it's fixed.

There are 4 muscles in the rotator cuff, and the remedy needed will depend upon the muscle damaged, as well as the degree of damage, but I know very little about the problem. I wil say, though, that it had no effect on my piano playing which was just as bad after the repair as before.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
M
M
Also consider visiting the chiropractor as well. They can do things that can help the healing faster like ultrasound or electrical muscle stimulation and massage therapy.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by tomasino
I don't know for sure that my rotator cuff was "torn," but I did have difficulty with it about five years ago. I found myself unable to lift my left arm much above my head. As a practical matter, I was unable to use my left arm to remove luggage from the compartments in an airplane. It didn't get to the point of affecting piano playing.

The doctor prescribed physical therapy. I went for a half an hour twice a month for six months. I was given exercises to do every day, which took about a half an hour. My shoulder got better and better. At the end of the physical therapy, I was given four exercises to do every day, which takes less than ten minutes. my shoulder has been fine ever since.

So if the damage hasn't gone too far, I think you can overcome it without much difficulty.

This sounds a lot like adhesive capsulitis, also known as "frozen shoulder".

wr #1227986 07/07/09 03:27 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gosh, Frycek, what next? Which muscle of the rotator cuff? Was there an obvious injury or did it just creep up gradually?

I hope you get a good PT. If so there should be a good deal that they can do. I have had some patients get aggravations of their pain by overenthusiastic PTs who prescribed aggressive exercises, so use your judgment.

Of course you should get acupuncture, but I don't know if you have it available. I wonder if there is an osteopath who does manipulations in your area, or a good chiropractor who avoids high-force adjustments and pays attention to soft tissue. And as Morodiene said, electrical stimulation or ultrasound may be helpful; they are likely to do these things at PT.

You may benefit by getting the book "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue, which explains a lot about muscle imbalances, how we get these injuries, and what to do.

Elene

P
P
I'm a little puzzled by mention of muscles here. Torn muscles in various parts of the body are common in physically active people and generally heal in a week or so - provided they are exercised.

My tear was to the cartilage/tendons and those heal slowly. This was before the laser surgery became available. Although physiotherapy was offered I could not fit it into my schedule. I joined the gym and strengthened the muscles, which helped to support the joint. I also swam daily for two years and carried on with my normal endurance sporting activities.

So it is possible to fix it without surgery, but I was and remain very physically active. It may or may not be possible for the average person. It may or may not come back as a problem for me if I get too old and frail to exercise as I do.

Based on my own need to lay off using computers for six weeks (my job involved heavy use of them) I would say you will need to avoid the piano for some time. The fact that the keyboard height cannot be adjusted may be a problem.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by PlayWellOneDay
I'm a little puzzled by mention of muscles here. Torn muscles in various parts of the body are common in physically active people and generally heal in a week or so - provided they are exercised.

My tear was to the cartilage/tendons and those heal slowly. This was before the laser surgery became available. Although physiotherapy was offered I could not fit it into my schedule. I joined the gym and strengthened the muscles, which helped to support the joint. I also swam daily for two years and carried on with my normal endurance sporting activities.

So it is possible to fix it without surgery, but I was and remain very physically active. It may or may not be possible for the average person. It may or may not come back as a problem for me if I get too old and frail to exercise as I do.

Based on my own need to lay off using computers for six weeks (my job involved heavy use of them) I would say you will need to avoid the piano for some time. The fact that the keyboard height cannot be adjusted may be a problem.

I'm sorry but I have to put in a few words. Torn muscles are not that common, and certainly don't heal in a week or two with exercise! Sprained, strained muscles are common and can heal within several weeks with ice, elevation, rest and gentle exercise after some healing has occured.

I'm not a sports medical professional but I only encountered one torn (ruptured) muscle in a patient, it was a calf muscle, and that was a serious injury that requires surgery.

The stuff about ligaments/cartilage sounds right.

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elene
Gosh, Frycek, what next? Which muscle of the rotator cuff? Was there an obvious injury or did it just creep up gradually?

I woke up with it. It didn't come on gradually. I had pneumonia at the time and it just blended in with the other aches and misery. It's been a month and it does seem perhaps to be getting a bit better.

[Linked Image]
E
E
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Originally Posted by Elene

I woke up with it. It didn't come on gradually. I had pneumonia at the time and it just blended in with the other aches and misery. It's been a month and it does seem perhaps to be getting a bit better.

Doctors told me that viral illness (and such) can bring about a rotator cuff tear situation. Viral illness apparently can attack nerves anywhere in the body for no reason at all, one of my diagnoses. Not very clear about it, but being sick can mess things up.

Just curious, did you have a sort throat anytime before?

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Yes, I did have a sore throat to start with.

[Linked Image]
E
E
Sore throats could possibly indicate viral illness. I had a bad sore throat about a month before it happened.

My rotator cuff injury, too was very random and sudden. I was completely o.k one day and the next I was effectively disabled.

-Frycek Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
This is very interesting. I suspected a connection and kept telling myself it was just a coincidence. I also had very painful cramps in my legs when I was sickest.

[Linked Image]
D
D
[Opps. I meant this to go on the piano technicians forum! Perhaps it is relevant to pianists too.]

I don't know if piano techs are particularly prone to a torn rotator cuff, but regardless of the cause, I imagine it would be an unwelcome disruption to one's work and income. I recently learned of the following potential alternative to surgery. Perhaps it will benefit someone.

In a study of 452 rotator cuff tear patients, this exercise program spared an impressive 85% of them from surgery. The Rotator Cuff Home Exercise Program information is free:

http://moonshoulder.com

http://moonshoulder.com/booklets/060109PatientRehabBooklet.pdf

http://moonshoulder.com/booklets/Therapist%20Directed%20Cuff%20Rehab%208.12.pdf

http://moonshoulder.com/MOONRotatorCuffRehab.mp4

David Bauguess

Last edited by DavidWB; 07/25/13 08:03 PM.

David Bauguess
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
You weren't by any chance takin Levaquin for your pneumonia? Levaquin and all fluroqinolone antibiotics can and do cause tendon failure. It's a known side effect and doctors should warn of this possibility. While taking Levaquin 7 years ago I ruptured the bicep tendon of my left shoulder. I susequently had surgery. Then seven weeks out from surgery I tore my rotator cuff in the same shoulder. Had more surgery. My shoulder never returned to its original ability. Not saying it isn't as bad as it was with tendons torn. It's just weaker and I don't have the capability to strengthen it. Luckily, I can still play the piano.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission