2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
If money was not an issue, and finding the closest sound and feel to a grand piano was the goal, what digital piano would you buy and why?

This is hypothetical for now as I am very happy with my M & H grand. But, there may come a time when silent practicing would be a real plus. Yet, after the Mason & Hamlin, a digital piano has a hard act to follow. I've become spoiled. Or let us say, "very discriminating".

Last edited by dynamobt; 07/25/13 04:09 PM. Reason: fixed title

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yamaha AvantGrand N3.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
VPC1 + Pianoteq

Its the V-piano without the obsolescence and unfixable modeling errors of the V-piano. And it has a better keyboard. Forget about samples. They have never worked, and never will.

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
Samples "never worked and never will"??
Really? They work just fine here!

Can't you find something better to do than complain about the V ?
You sound like a broken record, droning on and on, singing the same, negative tune.
Opinions are fine. Informed opinions are better.
But rants offer nothing but a poor picture of the ranter.

RD700 is just another evolutionary dead end bad investment
Prices are going to collapse
I predict a lot of casio owners will be putting their units up for sale in the next few years.
What have the clowns in the conservatories and university produced?
Don't let the super satisfied Casio full meal deal people fool you.
And the prices of these "advanced" piano's are a joke.
Seems the rabid dp enthusiasts believe something ...
The Roland V-Piano! (that is currently collecting dust at the dealership)
The V-Piano is the most overhyped excuse of a piano on the planet. And the V-grand? Can't imagine a sucker who could be that slow to buy that abomination.
The Roland SuperNatural should be renamed SuperUnNatural.
Then it dawned on me. A fake piano is a consumer device. No wonder the warranties are all hokey.
The digital piano arms race is a racket to empty the bank accounts of fools.
The digitals all get wonderful reviews and yet at the same time they all suck.
The reason the 850 is so cheap, is that the consumer is playing a dangerous game here concerning support for warranty claims and how long parts will be available.
I informed my local Steinway dealer that I wouldn't pay more than $3000 cdn (including shipping) for a new Essex EUP108C. They said go away.

... and ...

Signing off...my last post in the digital forum (7/11/2013)
BUT IT WASN'T!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If money weren't an issue then I'd get one of the Yamaha silent series.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...ntpianos/grand_pianos/c7x-sh/?mode=model

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
Roland DP 90-S. The most beautiful piano created to date. DON`T let yer grandkids near it!

http://www.erpiano.com/prdimg/1210270007_L2.jpg

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
T
I would put in a pianodisc midi system in an acoustic Steinway D and use it with Ivory2 SteinwayD as a digital piano smile .. you did say money is not an issue right?

Last edited by Trstan993; 07/25/13 12:19 AM.
Originally Posted by Allan W.
If money weren't an issue then I'd get one of the Yamaha silent series.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...ntpianos/grand_pianos/c7x-sh/?mode=model

I agree with you. I just saw this video of it and I think the new samples they've used for the silent system sound great.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
dynamobt, I have read your post, here:

If money was not an issue, and finding the closest sound and feel to a grand piano was the goal, what digital piano would you buy and why?

This is hypothetical for now as I am very happy with my M & H grand. But, there may come a time when silent practicing would be a real plus. Yet, after the Mason & Hamlin, a digital piano has a hard act to follow. I've become spoiled. Or let us say, "very discriminating".

In my lifetime of owning a vehicle, I only ever owned a pickup because a pickup can do what a car can't do. It is not a price, comfort or anything else. It is a pickup. Of all the people I knew
I was the only one who ever owned a pickup - and everbody else I knew owned a car of some description.

So if you buy a digial, you will be disappointed because it is not remotely like an acoutic piano.

So, if you buy an acoustic piano, you will be disappointed it is not remotely like a digital piano and you will not be able to play it silently at 2:00 a.m or quietly.

S
S
There is no digital that both sounds and feels like a grand.

Its high time to realize that the solution to 'silent practice' is *not* the nonsensical account emptying practice of buying whatever hopeless digital fad is in fashion.

The idiots in the acoustic piano biz need to realize that "cheaper" acoustics are not the answer to the ongoing piano sales drought, but instead providing soundproofing rooms.

Violinists don't put up with this electric madness, why do pianists fall for it?

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by StarvingLion

Violinists don't put up with this electric madness, why do pianists fall for it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electric_violinists

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I enjoy hympothetical purchases.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would second the Yamaha AG but a real Mason & Hamlim grand is a very tough act to follow. I wonder if a good solution for silent practice is to simply use a silent keyboard and let your imagination fill in the sound.

There are anecdotes of famous pianists practicing on such things while on the road.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
I looked at the Yamaha Avant Grand. For one, I had no idea something like that existed! Also had no idea that something without strings could cost that much!!! But, I did say that cost was not an issue! LOL

What do people think of the CA series Kawai digital pianos?

As for nothing being anywhere near like my Masaon & Hamilin, I kind of figured that. Thing is, that we are looking into retirement communities for the future. They say pianos are fine. But, what if we moved in and found that people complained? It would be nice if I thought there were options out there to allow me to continue to play no matter the circumstances. So, thanks for the suggestions!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
T
Originally Posted by dynamobt

Hi Dynamobt,

My parents have a 1927 Mason & Hamlin A model grand. Damn M & H are gorgeous pianos with wonderful tone. And they are hand-made right here, in my home state of MA.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
So, Tritium, are you going to come on the Piano World Mason & Hamlin tour?? (I figure I can threadjack my own thread!!)

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
T
So, Tritium, are you going to come on the Piano World Mason & Hamlin tour?? (I figure I can threadjack my own thread!!)

LOL, what is the Piano World Mason & Hamlin tour?

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Check down a little lower on the general forum page and see that Piano World is running a tour of M & H on September 9th at 9am. It's free and lunch follows with chance to play some new M & H pianos!!!!

It's listed under "Tours, meetings and other gatherings" or something along that line

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
T
Check down a little lower on the general forum page and see that Piano World is running a tour of M & H on September 9th at 9am. It's free and lunch follows with chance to play some new M & H pianos!!!!

It's listed under "Tours, meetings and other gatherings" or something along that line

Cool, thanks.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Perhaps the Physispiano V100 ? Depending on how well it sounds over the speaker system they designed for the V100...

Purely for design, I like the CS10 a lot - much better than most other Polished Ebony "real" cabinet products of others, since in fact it IS a normal cabinet and you can easily completely hide the controls on the left side.

What if you could have a CS10 simply as a powered cabinet and attach your own laptop or Mac MINI to it with a good soft-piano that plays over the excellent speaker+ soundboard system. With touch curve editor of course. The absence of the internal engine could shave some cost. The fixed EQ stage in the amp/speaker system should stay of course to get a decent sound. VPC1 for people with thier own mixing and speaker setup / VPC-CS10 as an elegant all-in-one controller cabinet with even better GF. Just a thought...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission