Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
114 registered members (Blague, beeboss, 5150917069, Animisha, 36251, barbaram, AYS, 22 invisible), 3,201 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: StarvingLion] #2122333
07/24/13 01:16 PM
07/24/13 01:16 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
I`d ha thought a trolley would be available for lugging this stuff into and out of venues. . . .I made one for a Hammond Organ. It collapsed. I made a sledge for the nipper (20years ago). That too collapsed . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: peterws] #2122403
07/24/13 04:01 PM
07/24/13 04:01 PM
Rocky Mountains
R
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
rnaple  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R

Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted by peterws
"Anybody who thinks they can play the lowest cheapest DP and do fine with classical. They must play like a wounded water buffalo in heat."

Bet you`ve never tried!...

The lowest cheapest referred to a Williams. Read the thread. I've only seen one of these once. It was doing a good job of impersonating a drunk in a sobriety test. It was ready to fall on the floor of the store.

I owned a YDP (I think it was a) 141 for a little while. I wasn't impressed.

My CDP-100. Definitely I got to where I was playing like a wounded water buffalo in heat. All I was trying to do was get a good clear note out of it. This with the onboard sounds. I have to admit the Ivory improved it. Not too much though. I actually thought I was just plain lousy. The dynamics, touch, just wasn't there. Then....

I got what I have now. Even though it's 20 years old. It has a real good keyboard on it. Not variable weighted. Weighted yes. My fingers get exercise. As far as touch, expression, dynamics. This thing walks all over any entry level DP I ever tried. I've gone back and tried some of them again just to check. I do admit I haven't tried the new PX-150. What I have is a righteous keyboard. I dream about how much better a VPC will be. I'm lucky to have what I have now. I'm just a lowly beginner.
EDIT: I just wanted to add. I now play what I have with tons and tons of touch. I'm very light on the keys now. Even though these keys are heavier than my CDP-120 is. (haven't gotten it sold yet...Doh!) This keyboard is teaching me to play. No banging away. I bang on these keys, I get it really loud back through the speakers. I have tons of control over the expressiveness of what I play. I just don't find that in entry level keyboards. Much less the cheapest.

Last edited by rnaple; 07/25/13 04:08 AM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: KlavierLiebhaber] #2122417
07/24/13 04:20 PM
07/24/13 04:20 PM
Maryland
Allan W. Offline
Allan W.  Offline

Maryland
I think you should go with the digital, if you plan on playing often. Get the acoustic if you're unafraid of annoying your neighbors by playing many hours a day.

I live in an apartment, and I might play my acoustic for an hour or two, but I don't play it loudly. At night I can practice for hours on the digital.

1980 Yamaha C7 from Rick Jones (http://imgur.com/a/duLJb)
Kawai MP-10
Previously: 2012 Young Chang Y175, which was quite impressive for the price
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: KlavierLiebhaber] #2122423
07/24/13 04:33 PM
07/24/13 04:33 PM
S
StarvingLion Offline
StarvingLion  Offline
S

What does it cost to rent the illustrious V-Piano?

[Nevermind, it costs a fortune like the V-Piano itself]

Last edited by StarvingLion; 07/24/13 04:38 PM.

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: KlavierLiebhaber] #2122436
07/24/13 05:04 PM
07/24/13 05:04 PM
Canada Alberta
M
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Michael_99  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Canada Alberta
KlavierLiebhaber, I have read your post, here:

Hello All,

I have decided to return to classical piano seriously and aim to apply to compete in an amateur competition in a couple of years. However, I am stuck on what instrument to buy.

A Yamaha YDP 142 Digital Piano fits the bill on:
1) Price
2) Practicing at any time I want
3) Tone (A sampled Yamaha concert grand) and Touch

A real acoustic, upright piano however would certainly be more inspiring, and when I become a home owner, could revel in my playing any time of the day or night. However, living in an apartment and working a full time career, an acoustic would pretty severely limit my daily practice hours for the foreseeable future.

Just an FYI, if I got an upright, I'd want to get a really good instrument like W. Hoffmann or even an Academy Bechstein if I could find a dealer willing to give me a fair but good deal, considering the fact that I would pay in cash.

Thanks for your thoughts!

My thoughts don't count, your thoughts count.

Most of the people I know that live in condos or apartments, own a 3 legged acoustic and a digital. I would say that their 3 legged pianos are not high end and neither are the digitals, but it gives them the options of playing what you are able to play at whatever time you want. Acoustics and digitals are not remotely the same and neither one can replace other at any price.

If you live in a detached house alone, you can play 24/7/365. If you live with someone in the house, you are limited because nobody likes to hear anyone playing a piano - particularly - because when they hear the piano they realize they are being ignored!

Last edited by Michael_99; 07/24/13 05:08 PM.
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: KlavierLiebhaber] #2122519
07/24/13 08:49 PM
07/24/13 08:49 PM
G
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Gyro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
G

I feel a kind obligation to warn people like the op, because I've seen people buy expensive acoustics, typically returners to piano after yrs. away. They go to a store and of course an expensive acoustic sounds wonderful, so they buy one thinking this is going to help them return to the piano. They get it home and after a month it doesn't sound that good after all, and the neighbors are harassing them, so they end up not playing it, and it's a complete waste of money. If they try to sell it no one will buy it.

A digital is the way to go. It's lightweight, has volume control, grand piano sampling, weighted keys, for all practical purposes, the equivalent of an acoustic. And if you get something like an RD700 it will be like some fantastic ideal of the perfect grand piano.

As for not being able to play on a cheap digital, note that they used to make silent keyboards beginning in the late 19th cent. and up until about the 1940's. They used to be very popular with concert pianists in the 1930's, and Arrau used on all his life. A silent keyboard is like a digital with the power turned off.

Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: KlavierLiebhaber] #2122531
07/24/13 09:23 PM
07/24/13 09:23 PM
S
StarvingLion Offline
StarvingLion  Offline
S

Gyro, the RD700 is just another evolutionary dead end bad investment. I'm sure you would have said many years ago that the Williams Overture was all that one could ever want. You sound like Bill Gates and the 256K of ram statement.

Pure physical modeling will kick the butts of the hardware piano makers.

Innovate or die!

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: KlavierLiebhaber] #2122662
07/25/13 05:19 AM
07/25/13 05:19 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
4000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
If you live in an apartment then yes, digital would be best, however if you live in a house you can buy a great upright for say $5000, which is only twice the price of a digital with a notable difference that the digital will be a piece of junk in few years and the upright will serve you for much longer. Tuning is not a problem as well. I bought a special tuning app for my iphone ($250) and a tuning hammer ($40) and it took me few hours for my very first tuning with no previous experience in tuning at all. Next time it'll take me no more than an hour, I'm sure.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: CyberGene] #2122667
07/25/13 05:44 AM
07/25/13 05:44 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Ya don`t have to pay much for a good playable nice sounding upright. They`re cheap on ebay, and there`s loads wanting a good home!

I must admit to preferring the digital in every way. Especially playing at 3 am . . .

Last edited by peterws; 07/25/13 05:45 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: Michael_99] #2122734
07/25/13 10:33 AM
07/25/13 10:33 AM
Leuven, Belgium
P
Peter Leyssens Offline
Peter Leyssens  Offline
P

Leuven, Belgium
Originally Posted by Michael_99
If you live in a detached house alone, you can play 24/7/365. If you live with someone in the house, you are limited because nobody likes to hear anyone playing a piano - particularly - because when they hear the piano they realize they are being ignored!

So true. Or otherwise they don't like to hear it because it's endless repetition of a few notes played badly, until the player decides (s)he's had enough and switches to the next section and repeats that endlessly, and badly.

I'd recommend the DP as well. I have an upright and as soon as I'm able to afford and place one, I'm getting a good DP too. I just can't practice right now. And that's a detached house, but with a wife and a young kid smile

Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: Peter Leyssens] #2122811
07/25/13 01:38 PM
07/25/13 01:38 PM
Cambridge, MA, USA
K
KlavierLiebhaber Offline OP
KlavierLiebhaber  Offline OP
K

Cambridge, MA, USA
Wow I was surprised to return to this thread and see such enthusiastic responses!

To note, I have not been away from music for years and years and am just now returning to it. I'm definitely an advanced amateur so there's no issue of having next to no ability and wandering into a piano store to buy the most expensive acoustic thinking it will make me a great player. I'm already a fine player and want an instrument that will be inspiring smile

A possibility someone suggested is to get an acoustic I love and then perhaps a YDP 142 just for late night practicing. I like that.

As to neighbors, I remember when I was a teenager taking piano lessons, my teacher had a Steinway B and lived in a condo and gave lessons(!) That sucker had a lot more sound coming out of it than any upright. As long as I'm respectful and don't play during quiet hours, I'm not going to worry. Neighbors are just as welcome to put on their stereo or television.

Schimmel C126
Bach, Goldberg Variations, BWV 988
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: KlavierLiebhaber] #2123160
07/26/13 05:17 AM
07/26/13 05:17 AM
Leuven, Belgium
P
Peter Leyssens Offline
Peter Leyssens  Offline
P

Leuven, Belgium
Originally Posted by KlavierLiebhaber
As to neighbors, I remember when I was a teenager taking piano lessons, my teacher had a Steinway B and lived in a condo and gave lessons(!) That sucker had a lot more sound coming out of it than any upright. As long as I'm respectful and don't play during quiet hours, I'm not going to worry. Neighbors are just as welcome to put on their stereo or television.

That's a good mentality. I remember the son of my neighbours practising the trombone until 9-10 PM most evenings when I was young. The level was the typical repeat-small-phrase-badly-until-bored. But looking back, it added a bit of character to the neighbourhood. Maybe we've grown too used to people complaining and prefer ducking and hiding instead of doing what we want smile I also don't care about my lack of playing ability when I play in the evenings with the window wide open. Poor neighbours smile

Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: Peter Leyssens] #2123162
07/26/13 05:23 AM
07/26/13 05:23 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Beats the sound o` the mower or strimmer . . . my neighbor uses a strimmer to mow his lawn,. And has two yappy little footballs in waiting . . .(chuiuahas . . .)

"[Linked Image]"
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: KlavierLiebhaber] #2123186
07/26/13 07:43 AM
07/26/13 07:43 AM
Rocky Mountains
R
rnaple Offline

rnaple  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R

Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted by KlavierLiebhaber

A possibility someone suggested is to get an acoustic I love and then perhaps a YDP 142 just for late night practicing. I like that.

That's a great idea. Although, I'd definitely step up from a YDP. Also for that purpose, a more portable keyboard. From all I've seen. A PX-150 is a much better keyboard than a YDP. I confess I haven't actually played one though. It's a thought worth considering. Or a better keyboard even.

I'm with you all on letting people make noise. It's hearing people live in different ways. I used to have a neighbor in the mountains of Montana. She taught piano. Had a Grand. That thing would carry through the woods. Sounded nice.
The point is that there are too many people out there who are miserable trying to make everyone else as miserable as they are. They're caught in a downward spiral of destruction. Those who make noise (subwoofers) and those who don't. They're a problem looking for a place to happen.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: An Acoustic Upright vs a Yamaha YDP 142 [Re: KlavierLiebhaber] #2123744
07/27/13 10:20 AM
07/27/13 10:20 AM
Brandywine, Maryland
R
RUSS SHETTLE Offline
RUSS SHETTLE  Offline
R

Brandywine, Maryland
I'm pretty happy with my Yamaha CP5, is all I can say.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Strich & Zeidler
by Iamwill80. 09/19/19 09:43 AM
Used Pianos from College Sales and other names ;-)
by letsplayit. 09/19/19 06:12 AM
homage to bach
by OscoBosco. 09/18/19 11:53 PM
Kawai CS8 and ES8
by Dkrs60. 09/18/19 08:39 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,102
Posts2,871,017
Members94,447
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission