2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I need a DP for my 7 year old son to practice and learn piano.
Currently, I probably can get a Casio PX-850 for around $1000 or a used Yamaha CLP-330 for about $1200.
Which one do you think I should get?
Thanks!

S
S
Don't let the super satisfied Casio full meal deal people fool you. Get the Yamaha.

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
StarvingLion, perhaps you would like to explain why you recommend the Yamaha over the Casio?

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, however understanding the details on which your formed your opinion may help ddwalker to make a more informed decision.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
T
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
Don't let the super satisfied Casio full meal deal people fool you. Get the Yamaha.

This is the same troll who stated he purchased a PX-850 in a previous thread, and was very happy with it...compared to (cough, cough) a $6000 Roland V-Piano.

DDWalker...I would recommend you consider anyone else's advice, here, on the DP forum, except for Starving Lion. You should read some of his post history. He has stated he is a beginner, yet makes ludicrous claims with regards to Digital Pianos, which only experienced pianists would be able to discriminate.

I don't know why he continues to troll the DP forum, as he has expressed an avowed hatred for any and all digital pianos.

I can tell you, as a person who has years of classical, acoustic piano training and background, that you should be very happy with the new Casio PX-850. I myself selected this model, after careful consideration and weighing the pros and cons (and costs) of various digital pianos in this category.

While the Yamaha CLP-330 is an excellent DP, I believe you will find that the Casio PX-850 has the superior and more current technology both in the sound engine and speaker design. Furthermore, Casio is offering a 3-year extended warranty on the new PX models. I am not sure what type of warranty (if any) you would get with the used (obsolete) Yamaha.

Last edited by Tritium; 07/24/13 08:05 PM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I don't know...I am not sure whether I've played a CLP330 in my many piano-store trips but I have played a 430 and it was pretty nice. In my mind those Clavinovas are good stuff and they have aged very nicely. They have had triple-sensor actions and relatively good tone engines for a long time. The 330 came out in 2008. Not really that old for a Yamaha and I suspect it's still more advanced than the Casio in question.

If I had to pick right now without a side-by-side comparison (which I have not been able to do) I'd go with the Yamaha as well.

Last edited by gvfarns; 07/24/13 08:47 PM.
S
S
The future of the digital piano market is:

$600 controller with half decent action (sorry VPC1)
$300 physical modeling software

Prices are going to collapse because the prices of everyday necessities are skyrocketing.

I predict a lot of casio owners will be putting their units up for sale in the next few years. Fact is, Yamaha has a serious reputation in the teaching ranks and Casio does not. Nobody got fired for recommending a Yamaha piano.

I changed my mind about the casio at the last moment and bought a P-105 because its cheaper than a Casio and does the same job. The Roland V-Piano is a boondoggle because the processing element electronics are already obsolete.

Lots of people don't like to hear bad news but a lot of goods out there are monstrously mispriced.

I'm starting the solid wooden keys revolution in digital pianos. Get'em now or be square!
H
H
Now look here. I am brand new to the piano and digital pianos but you will listen to me damn it. Digital pianos are a waste of time - they are all crap! So I am going to buy the cheapest one I can find so I'm not a sucker like the rest of you. It's made by Fisher Price and suits my abilities and intellect perfectly. . And this is my LAST post in the digital piano forum. Until the next one. And the one after that. And the one after the one after that. And the one after after the one after the one after that that. Invertebrate or die!

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Hungry Wolf
. . . It's made by Fisher Price and suits my abilities and intellect perfectly. .

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/images/icons/default/laugh.gif

Humor is a rare commodity! Thank you!

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
GH3 keyboard on the Yamaha;
Resale value
Longevity
Reliability
Sound.

All I would consider to be superior in the Yamaha. But it`s quite an ugly lump, isn`t it? Therefore I`d go for the Casio`s neat design . . .if it wasn't for the keyboard! It`s not brill.

Last edited by peterws; 07/24/13 11:43 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
You couldn't go wrong with a new PX 850, but, assuming the CLP 330 is in perfect condtion (test all 88 keys with and without the rt. pedal), a used digital is often the best deal around. And digitals are durable and can last indefinitely so a used one is usually not a problem.

Furthermore, you can really steal a used digital, or any used piano for that matter. The reason is that there are few players in the general population, and so any piano is very difficult to sell. Offer half price, at the most, on the used digital, and the seller should grab for that, because it's probably the only offer he'll get. Tell him there's no warranty and you don't know how hard it's been played. Tell him the polyphony is "only" 128 and you can get a new PX 850 with full warranty and 256 polyphony for less. Tell him the model is "obsolete" in the fast-changing digital piano world.

If he refuses the $600, wait a month and call him back--the piano will still be there. He should be more willing then.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by StarvingLion
$600 controller with half decent action (sorry VPC1)
$300 physical modeling software

I'd say that's the present. Except that the controller isn't that cheap unless you are using a PX150 as the controller. Who knows what the future holds, but it seems unlikely that the average joe pianist will be going through the trouble of running using a software piano. It's not much trouble if you are an enthusiast, but most people are not.

Prices are going to collapse because the prices of everyday necessities are skyrocketing.

Nope. Not only is it not the case that necessities are getting more expensive relative to incomes (over anything but very short horizons) but it is also not the case that digital pianos will be the one good that gets cheaper if everything else gets more expensive.

Last edited by gvfarns; 07/24/13 11:52 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I would go for the casio. The GH action is considered to be a bit stiff which may get annoying at times. Casio action is decent. The polyphony coupled with the air tech will give u a decent resonance closer to that of a real piano.

Synthetic ivory keytops although not very important, it is a bonus.

But play both, listen to both, and only then make your decision.

All DPs can be very subjective and personal preference comes into play.

The px850 is a 2013 model and the sound engine should be newer/ better.

As far as I know the yamaha has the older AWM engine which is pretty dated.

Plus to my eyes the casio looks better than the clp 330.

I doubt you will be interested in the world of software pianos. If its for a 7 yer old you would just want to press the power button and start playing . Hooking up computer etc will be annoying.

Here in Trinidadmost piano teachers tend to recomend casio despiteit not being available for purchase anywhere in the island. Students special order it as a result.

But again the decision is up to u. Casio doesn't have that Greg of a resale value but the yamaha is already 5 years old. The casio is brand new so that may be taken into so consideration in terms of resale value again.

I've only heard good things about casio. Not that I have anything against yamaha I've owned 2. But given the choice between these two particular models I would go for the px850.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission