2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi
I am not a composer. My student is a small composer. thumb She is only 8 YO, 4 years of piano lesson with me.

https://sites.google.com/site/ezpianoirvine/ellie

Please review her compositions and give some constructive feedback.

I am using Music by Me series by FJH, they have four books in the series.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Cute! I hope she writes out the script?

S
S
Nothing loads when I went to the page..

Sorry, my bad, it was just very slow.

Very nice! Though if I may ask.. was what I listened to played by hand or was that produced by a program..the timing was perfect.

Sorry if that is a newbie question, I am new here.

In any case they were all very fun and put a smile on my face.

Last edited by Sozo; 07/24/13 01:58 AM.

Tell someone that you love them today because life is short, but scream it in German because life is also terrifying and confusing.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's a flash problem: Sozo. Try another browser...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Very nice for her age. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Sozo: It is played by a program that shows the sound and also the notation. Yes, I know it is slow because it has a lot of things to load. I am glad that you be able to listen to it.

Goof: Yes, she wrote out the lyrics for Book 1, Op. 1 and Op. 7.

S
S
Ah thank you, I was wondering as I have listened to many compositions on here that sounded computer generated, but I wasnt sure smile

Tell someone that you love them today because life is short, but scream it in German because life is also terrifying and confusing.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
Hi
I am not a composer. My student is a small composer. thumb She is only 8 YO, 4 years of piano lesson with me.

I am using Music by Me series by FJH, they have four books in the series.

Please check your PMs!

M.

B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thank you Michael!!
I will prepare what you asked for in two days.

Also, I made a mistake, Music by Me is five books in total.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
Hi

Good work, Ellie! And kudos to the teacher for teaching and encouraging her student to create and compose! thumb thumb

There are many good things going on there ...

1. She (the student) is clearly working on the [a-b-a] form, certainly a good framework for new composers to be working in.

2. She seeks to create contrast between her "a" material and her "b" material, even to the point of pushing the "b" material into a different key (e.g., from major to minor) ... also good thing for new composers to do.

3. She is slowly expanding her harmonic vocabulary, from using only the I chord in her earliest compositions to also using the V (or V7) chord in her later compositions to also injecting the IV chord into her latest two compositions. Also, going from solid, whole-note chords to broken chords to Alberti-like figures in her latest compositions ... all are good progress to see in a young composer.

As far as constructive suggestions goes, there might be few things ripe for her to further explore ...

One is to merely inject tiny variations when repeating a previously-used material in a piece. When composing in the [a-b-a] form, she so far literally copies the first "a" section into the last "a" section. One thing to explore is to introduce one or two tiny variations when reusing old material. So the simple [a-b-a] form becomes more like [a-b-a'] where the a'-section is a slight variation of the a-section. These "tiny variations" need not be elaborate. They can be as simple as changing one or two notes, or changing a chord, or tweaking the rhythm a bit. (No need to do all of these, just one or two of these will do.)

Another is to attempt larger forms. She can, for example, group her first [a1-b1-(a1')] material into a larger section (let's call it the larger A-section), create another set of [a2-b2-(a2')] material (call it the larger B-section), then put together the whole piece using the [A-B-A'] form again. (The second A'-section being a slight variation of the first A-section.)

Third is to think about creating some sort of "bridge" or "transition" when going from section to section (e.g., create some sort of tension at the end of one section that resolves into the beginning of the next section), so the transition from one section to the next does not appear "sudden."

By way of example, I'll use her Haunted House (Book 2, Op. 5) piece to illustrate some of the things mentioned above. I quite like the Haunted House piece because I think the motif/base material has lots of potential and her original [a-b-a] construction in this piece flows rather nicely. She also hasn't get into the IV chord for this, so in essence holding the IV chord in reserve for "new material" that can be used to expand the work into a larger A-B-A' form. Please do not take the notes/chords written below literally (I did not even bother to copy her original accompaniment, just outlining the chords used) ... it is not my intention to write the music for the student, but rather just to illustrate some of the ideas mentioned above.

[Linked Image]
(If you want to print it out, download the PDF here: http://pianorecital.org/tmp/Ellie-Hounted-House-with-Ax-annotation.pdf )

The B-section is "new" yet "not new" as it clearly borrows the rhythmic and melodic "shapes" of material from m.3 and m.5 ... but because the student has thus far held the IV chord in reserve, the introduction of the IV chord in m.9 makes it sound "new" to the listener.

If you want to further expand the piece, you can also imagine pushing m.8 into a V chord, then repeating the A-section with (a little variation) before going into the B-section, which would give you a nice [A-A'-B-A''] form. Of course, nothing says you cannot play the same trick on the B-section or the final A'-section to make this an even more elaborate piece ... just need to inject tiny variations here and there when you repeat old material to keep things from getting stale.

Hope this helps. smile

B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thank you Axtremus!!
Just to let you know that this song, Haunted House was given one measure in the beginning, and 16 measures in length. Student was present ABA form and they supposed to use it in this composition.

I will be printing your example out and show her next lesson.

I am looking forward to start Book 3 of 5 in the series and we will see her growth in composition with a good composition book by Kevin Olson.

Thank you so much!!!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission