Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
78 registered members (Abdol, 36251, amyram, Antihero, AndrewJCW, Bruce In Philly, AZNpiano, 30 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Dan Clark] #2120370
07/19/13 10:54 PM
07/19/13 10:54 PM
Beijing China
Lakeside Offline OP
Lakeside  Offline OP

Beijing China
Hi Dan,
Thank you for your detailed and very good suggestions. I'll go look for a testing opportunities, perhaps someone with CA95 friends, I am not sure. But it appears to me to go to seriously consider how to buy from abroad CA95 thing. And that magic Vintage D virtual piano software.
Lakeside

Shigeru Kawai SK-3
Kawai CA95(In Haikou City)
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: stng] #2120371
07/19/13 11:13 PM
07/19/13 11:13 PM
Beijing China
Lakeside Offline OP
Lakeside  Offline OP

Beijing China
Originally Posted by stng
Lakeside

I meant the opposite. I prefer the CA65/95 action to the NU1 action. The CA65/95 action feels like a grand action, whereas the NU1 doesnt. Not surprising because the NU1 action is from a Yamaha upright. But it's based on maybe an hour on the NU1. I suggest trying wherever possible. From a sound perspective, I'm not sure I had a preference.

Simon

Hi Simon,
After understand what you mean, so I am even more happy. I was there for the Shigeru Kawai sound preference.

Lakeside

Shigeru Kawai SK-3
Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: JFP] #2120429
07/20/13 05:51 AM
07/20/13 05:51 AM
Beijing China
Lakeside Offline OP
Lakeside  Offline OP

Beijing China
Originally Posted by JFP
I wonder what the Physispiano V100 will do. In terms of price, delivery date a d Acoustic realism (sound system and projection). Could be a contender to ca-95/ CS10 and hp507 / lx15 .

I first heard Physispiano V100, have yet to find information about its evaluation. But it is too expensive, € 6,700.

Shigeru Kawai SK-3
Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Lakeside] #2120440
07/20/13 06:32 AM
07/20/13 06:32 AM
The Netherlands
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JFP  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

The Netherlands
Where did you find that pricing info ? Couldn't find anything yet on pricing / availability...

Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: JFP] #2120448
07/20/13 07:24 AM
07/20/13 07:24 AM
Beijing China
Lakeside Offline OP
Lakeside  Offline OP

Beijing China
Originally Posted by JFP
Where did you find that pricing info ? Couldn't find anything yet on pricing / availability...

http://audioelectric.de/shop/produc...ml&XTCsid=3mv6jhjg9cad3bhn29hd479182

Shigeru Kawai SK-3
Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Lakeside] #2120464
07/20/13 09:28 AM
07/20/13 09:28 AM
Hun,EU
Temperament Offline
Temperament  Offline

Hun,EU

To ppp playing: see in my just posted CA65 review:

Suggestions for getting more expressive pp

The majority of my tweaking is just as well valid for the CA95/CS10. (Same GF keyboard, sounds, feature set; external sounds and connectivety).

Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Lakeside] #2120468
07/20/13 09:50 AM
07/20/13 09:50 AM
The Netherlands
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JFP  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

The Netherlands
That's weird, because they also list the K4 physispiano for an extraordinary € 2999, whilst the factory listprice is € 2195 (street price usually lower). So the v100 will be expensive, but I doubt if it will be € 6700 when released. We'll see...

Regardless of the price, it seems to be a nice product and potentially could be better than the other current offerings in that range (lx15, cs10, etc). Of course we don't know that for sure yet...much depends on the sound projection; the Physis sound is already known.

Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: JFP] #2120485
07/20/13 10:34 AM
07/20/13 10:34 AM
Beijing China
Lakeside Offline OP
Lakeside  Offline OP

Beijing China
Originally Posted by JFP
the Physis sound is already known.

To be honest, I do not know the details of V100, sound and action is what? Can you provide a link? Thank you!

Shigeru Kawai SK-3
Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Lakeside] #2120698
07/20/13 08:34 PM
07/20/13 08:34 PM
Beijing China
Lakeside Offline OP
Lakeside  Offline OP

Beijing China
Hi Everyone,
Thank you to all of the opinions and suggestions. But I really want to hear a different or even contrary view, I think these comments make decisions for me is very important!

Shigeru Kawai SK-3
Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Lakeside] #2120721
07/20/13 09:26 PM
07/20/13 09:26 PM
Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, B...
P
Pedro_Henrique Offline
Pedro_Henrique  Offline
P

Look, If I were you,I would buy a good acoustic. Ok, it's difficult to have and take care of an acoustic, but, for developping good skills it's really important to study piano on a acoustic.

"But its got a crap keyboard action Dave ... no amount of great sounds help that."
Dr. Popper

Piano Student at University of São Paulo - Ribeirão Preto
Music Education and Piano Pedagogy at Music Department of FFCLRP - University of São Paulo

Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Pedro_Henrique] #2120774
07/20/13 10:48 PM
07/20/13 10:48 PM
Bellevue, WA USA
D
Dan Clark Offline
Dan Clark  Offline
D

Bellevue, WA USA
Originally Posted by Pedro_Henrique
Look, If I were you,I would buy a good acoustic. Ok, it's difficult to have and take care of an acoustic, but, for developping good skills it's really important to study piano on a acoustic.

Pedro,

Why?

Dan.

Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Lakeside] #2120893
07/21/13 07:49 AM
07/21/13 07:49 AM
P
Pedro_Henrique Offline
Pedro_Henrique  Offline
P

Originally Posted by Dan Clark

Pedro,

Why?

Dan.

Well, I play some good acoustics on the State Conservatory (a fine grand, and my teacher's acoustic upright) and I play a digital piano. The first thing is technique. I didn't play the CA95 yet, but, usually digital pianos doesn't allow you to get better in trills, or fast passages. And the second thing, is the sound. Digital Pianos can't really emulate acoustics of a Piano. Even the V-Piano is not able to it. When you play, there are very subtle differences in tones and colors, and when you play some Schumann (Album for the Young), or Prokofiev (Vision Fugitives, for example), or some Romantic or Modern pieces you have to really color your playing making differents tones that digitals can't make. I'm studying seriously because I want to graduate in Music Education... and the first thing my teacher asked me is: find a way to get an acoustic piano for you to study. And even if you don't want to be a professional teacher or performer, you'll realise that the acoustic is always superior.
Now I have to be clear: A good acoustic. Those crappy acoustics are very bad to technique as well. That's why my teacher always let me study in her own acoustic. She pays the tuning and keys regulation. And the grand piano from the auditorium, she pays for it too. The only problem I can only study 3 hours per week in those instruments, at best (one hour on the grand, and two hours in her room). That's why I'm looking for a good acoustic with a good price, because now I have to play one Sonata in F major from Haydn, one Nocturne in Eb major from Glinka, one Bach in a minor Sinfonia, one 'Ponteio' from Camargo Guarnieri, and the frist Cramer Study. Not an advanced repertoire yet, but... It demands a lit bif of study with conscious playing.

Last edited by Pedro_Henrique; 07/21/13 07:56 AM.

"But its got a crap keyboard action Dave ... no amount of great sounds help that."
Dr. Popper

Music Education and Piano Pedagogy at Music Department of FFCLRP - University of São Paulo

Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Pedro_Henrique] #2121026
07/21/13 01:51 PM
07/21/13 01:51 PM
Bellevue, WA USA
D
Dan Clark Offline
Dan Clark  Offline
D

Bellevue, WA USA

Pedro,

Why?

Dan.

Now I have to be clear: A good acoustic. Those crappy acoustics are very bad to technique as well. That's why my teacher always let me study in her own acoustic. She pays the tuning and keys regulation. And the grand piano from the auditorium, she pays for it too. The only problem I can only study 3 hours per week in those instruments, at best (one hour on the grand, and two hours in her room). That's why I'm looking for a good acoustic with a good price...

Pedro,

Good points, well reasoned. In general, many people (including me) would agree that a good acoustic sounds and plays better that a DP disregarding cost, availability, location, and other real-life constraints. But there lies the rub - life tends to get in the way of achieving this. So...

How much does a good acoustic cost? Northwest Pianos (where I bought my Casio PX-850) has many good acoustics with prices ranging from $7,000 to $20,000 for a good upright and $20,000 to $200,000 for a good grand. They are lovely and play very nicely. But how many people can afford one?

Then there are space constraints. For people who prefer the sound of a grand (including "me"), where do you put it? A nice 7 foot grand takes up a lot of space.

How about portability? If you move around a lot (like the OP), a grand (any grand) is not too portable.

The biggest issue is the ability to play whenever you want to. Live in an apartment? Have a spouse who wants to watch TV or sleep when you want to practice? That could put a serious crimp in your ability to practice.

As you pointed out, the biggest problem is being able to use the piano whenever you want to. It's difficult now. After you graduate, what then? How do you maintain your skills until you can afford a decent acoustic and a place private enough to practice?

Taken in the context of real-life constraints which throw roadblocks in the way of piano proficiency, each of us have to make tough choices to find the right balance. IMO, finding the right balance of benefits and constraints is more important than a fixed standard of "better". At 66, I've been there, done that - wrestled with these issues many times.

FYI, here is the first decent, non-demo video I've seen of a fellow playing a CA95: http://youtu.be/ckoX6YYkzds . I'm interested in your opinion of the results.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I use Galaxy Instruments Vintage D with my PX-850. My computer is small, custom, and fast with two SSDs for system and storage. With a PreSonus VSL44 and 16GB of memory, latency is almost non-existant. Most importantly, the sound is FAR better than the native 850 sound. IMO, the future of DPs is a combination of sophisticated piano software from companies like Synthogy, Galaxy Instruments, and PianoTeq using keyboards like the Kawai VPC1. YMMV.

Last edited by Dan Clark; 07/21/13 01:53 PM.
Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Dan Clark] #2121160
07/21/13 05:22 PM
07/21/13 05:22 PM
P
Pedro_Henrique Offline
Pedro_Henrique  Offline
P

Taken in the context of real-life constraints which throw roadblocks in the way of piano proficiency, each of us have to make tough choices to find the right balance. IMO, finding the right balance of benefits and constraints is more important than a fixed standard of "better". At 66, I've been there, done that - wrestled with these issues many times.

FYI, here is the first decent, non-demo video I've seen of a fellow playing a CA95: http://youtu.be/ckoX6YYkzds . I'm interested in your opinion of the results.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. I use Galaxy Instruments Vintage D with my PX-850. My computer is small, custom, and fast with two SSDs for system and storage. With a PreSonus VSL44 and 16GB of memory, latency is almost non-existant. Most importantly, the sound is FAR better than the native 850 sound. IMO, the future of DPs is a combination of sophisticated piano software from companies like Synthogy, Galaxy Instruments, and PianoTeq using keyboards like the Kawai VPC1. YMMV.

Look, I totally agree with you, I just gave you my opinion on the matter. And sure, you're right, unfortunately acoustic pianos are much more expensive, and then not pratical for playing out of home or playing out of theaters. But to be honest with you, there are some good acoustics here that cost a little less than digitals... a Kawai CA65 cost about 6.000 euro, and the CA95 7.000 euro with all taxes... and a good acoustic brazilian-brand cost aprox. 5.000 dollars. So for any student who seriously want to be a professional pianist and teacher, it's worth it.

Dr. Popper

Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Pedro_Henrique] #2121338
07/22/13 01:51 AM
07/22/13 01:51 AM
Prague, Czech Rep.
C
Clayman Offline
Clayman  Offline
C

Prague, Czech Rep.
7,000 euro for a CA-95? I've got mine for 3,099.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Clayman] #2121422
07/22/13 09:04 AM
07/22/13 09:04 AM
P
Pedro_Henrique Offline
Pedro_Henrique  Offline
P

Originally Posted by Clayman
7,000 euro for a CA-95? I've got mine for 3,099.

We pay a lot of taxes, almost for nothing because our government doesn't return it to the population in form of public service, and the instruments stores gain have a enormous profit also, so sometimes it really sucks being a brazilian. Sometimes I think of buying from international stores, the but the problem is that our government will try everything to stop us from having what we bought outside of Brazil. So what they do? They stop our things on the customhouse and make us pay almost the price we paid on the importation, or sometimes the same price... so in the end you paid almost twice the price you'd pay if you have bought it on a brazilian store.

Dr. Popper

Re: Help! CA95 instead of an acoustic piano, feasible? [Re: Dan Clark] #2121529
07/22/13 01:48 PM
07/22/13 01:48 PM
Canada Alberta
M
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Michael_99  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Canada Alberta
The reality is that to be a piano player, you have to practice. So you should buy a piano you can afford. Once you can play well enough to teacher of entertain for money, you can save for whatever piano you want.

If I was young I would buy what every piano I could afford. I grew up in trailer so there was no room for a piano of any size that existed in the 1050s, but today, you can put a digital under any bed for storeage, so almost everybody on the planet could afford 300 digital to be played and stored under their bed.

Because digitals are dirt cheap and most people who want to play the piano - have no idea how slow it is to become a piano player that probaby more pianos today are sitting around not being played than at any other time in history.

Last edited by Michael_99; 07/22/13 01:51 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P125 Audio Recording ???
by Pianoworldstage. 10/21/19 09:31 PM
New Casio hybrid piano
by MacMacMac. 10/21/19 05:05 PM
4sound in Sweden - bankrupt
by tangothomas. 10/21/19 04:41 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,656
Posts2,881,850
Members94,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission