2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22
A
AimeeO Offline OP

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline

500 Post Club Member
A
A little late but.. smile
That was neat, Mark! I too liked the voice you chose. That's what's fun about digitals - you get to play with all the sounds. It sounded great and hope to hear more for you soon!

Last edited by AimeeO; 07/14/13 02:58 AM.
Posting for reference...

Will pop back on here tonight when I get home and have a listen/comment smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
A
A
First recording from me! I tried to record a more complicated tango, but ended up going back to this simple George Winston piece to make things a bit faster. I'll try the tango again later this week.

Apologies for the hesitation about 75% of the way through....I thought I was stepping on the sustain pedal and it turned out to be the dog's tail instead.

Troubadour by George Winston

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just caught this thread for the first time and I listened to the first recording, and the last!

Wow. Great job!

Anne H. I really liked the Troubadour piece and I thought you played it beautifully with nice pace and touch. I think I would like to learn this song. Did you learn it from the score??? By ear? I also loved the sound of your piano. What kind of piano do you have? Thanks.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 07/17/13 09:31 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Great stuff! Well done. Howls of delight - not from the dog but - from those of use who support you !

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Anne H from above has inspired me to post my first recording... Here goes!

I have been playing for just over a year and a half and am making some headway but it's a struggle! I recently signed up for the Grieg recital and I am learning a Grieg piece to play and post to that thread.

But - since there are a few technical issues involved, I thought I would go ahead and record something and post it here, basically so that I can get all the technology hurdles out of the way.

For your listening pleasure, I recorded an arrangement of the theme to the movie Castaway. The arrangement is my own but follows the score of an instrumental version of the song and I also used bits and pieces of fingerwork that I picked up from other versions of Castaway on YouTube.

The recording was done on my Korg keyboard using the American D sampled piano in the Ivory II product by Synthogy.

Links to the .wav audio file and the .mid midi file:

Castaway Audio file:
https://app.box.com/s/dgphi8v5feimraj9itf7

Castaway Midi file available as download only for your use in Synthesia or other midi file program:
https://app.box.com/s/9tw81vhnm9l1btr9m0bm

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 07/18/13 11:55 AM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
A
A
Thanks AZ_Astro! It's sheet music (my ear is awful!) and doesn't look like it's available US side. I have a copy from a friend that looks like it may be Japanese. If you want to private message me, I can pass it on to you! It's a nice easy one page piece, but it's great for reading lots of flats and makes a nice warmup even when you're experienced. If you're a year and a half in, it will be right in your wheelhouse.

Thanks for the lovely compliments about my piano. It's fairly new to me, although it's a 1963 Steinway console. It was very well cared for by it's first owner. I've only had it a few months, but I'm pretty in love with it. I know there are lots of mixed feelings about those pianos, but I've deeply enjoyed mine so far.

Edited to add: Your Castaway piece is very nice! You've made lots of progress for a year and a half - you've clearly got lots of natural talent.

Last edited by Anne H; 07/17/13 11:22 PM.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Anne H - your piece (and I am sorry I seemed to have missed it first time around) is so hauntingly lovely. Your previous experience shines through and I wish you all the best for regaining the level prior to your illness. In the meantime I look forward to hearing you progress at a dizzying speed.....not putting any pressure on lol

Last edited by earlofmar; 07/18/13 02:23 AM.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Anne H - I liked the sound of that, but I expected a dog barking about 75% of the way thru laugh You did a really nice job on this piece, very lyrical.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
AZ Astro -

That's a very stately piece and you had just the right feel for it. What a great idea to test out the recording practice before you record the Grieg piece - that should take some pressure off when the other recital gets recorded.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
A
Thank you, EarlofMar! I always thought George Winston was kind of awful when I was younger, but I've really grown to appreciate his approach to arranging. I love some of the nearly mournful harmonies that he uses. Thanks for the encouragement - I admit that I get pretty frustrated at times with how slow things seem to come back, so it's nice to hear the encouraging words of total strangers! :-)

Jotur- Luckily my poor dog is a whiner and not a barker, which meant I got to take it out in editing! I did apologize profusely to him after I was done. He's a music fan, I guess, since he likes to sit under the piano and listen to me play.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
AZ Astro, lovely arrangement, great evocative playing and a lovely sound from the Ivory II well done

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
AZ Astro, that was lovely! I am sure your Grieg will be wonderful too.
Midi link didn't work for me for some reason.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hmmm. It just worked for me. Did you click on Download?

The link won't do a preview if that's what you were waiting for.

Then - after downloading and if you've used a midi file before, you need to load it into something like Synthesia to play it. Hope that helps.

FYI and best wishes.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 07/18/13 12:04 PM.

[Linked Image]
A
AimeeO Offline OP

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline

500 Post Club Member
A
Anne, first, all animal-related delays are perfectly understandable. I know he forgives you- he just wanted to be part of it too!

I'm not familiar with the piece or the composer, but I really enjoyed it! I like the sadness of it too, and now I am going to have to hunt some Winston down. You do a fine job of letting the emotion of the piece shine. Welcome, and congrats on your first post!

AZAstro, welcome and congrats to you as well! I am quite jealous of your arrangement skills. I love how solitary and introspective the piece is. Thanks!

I look forward to hearing you both in the Grieg recital! Don't worry - I'll be first, which will make everyone feel more confident about their own grin

A
AimeeO Offline OP

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline

500 Post Club Member
A
Oh, just out of curiosity, how many of you that did your first post here are going to take part in the quarterly recital? I hope you feel like you can do it!

Y
Y
Originally Posted by AimmeO
Oh, just out of curiosity, how many of you that did your first post here are going to take part in the quarterly recital? I hope you feel like you can do it!

This thread gave me the confidence to post a second piece in the june bar and after that I signed up for the grieg recital. And yes, I think I will also join the quarterly recital.

My daily exercise time has increased because there is so much work left for the pieces I want to record... the only thing I regret is, that my time to read other posts and listen to other recordings has shrinked.

I'm sure all this would not have happened without the Ecco Fatto Cafe!

A journey of a thousend miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
I made my first piano-step on June 2010.
Had a listen to a few of the others posted by you lovely folks, keep up the good work smile

I really should post something here some day, I just lack the confidence.... (probably didn't help that the one time I thought I was alone 'Borrowing' a small piano in a church hall I turned around to about 30-40 people with big smiles, should have seen me tremble! :D)

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
Y
Y
Originally Posted by UKIkarus

I really should post something here some day, I just lack the confidence....

UKIkarus, believe me, you don't need confidence for this particular thread. It's vice versa, you will get enough confidence for other recitals after posting your recording here. Come on, give it a try!

A journey of a thousend miles begins with a single step. (Laozi)
I made my first piano-step on June 2010.
Okay I said I would so here it is. Please forgive all the hesitations and the VERY simple nature of the tune. I have read many laments that there are not enough REAL beginner videos in this tread. I'm doing my part to rectify that. Less than 4 months behind the keys and... well my apologies to the Steinway Corporation and my instructor.

Recorded straight to Ipad and it sounds like it...

http://youtu.be/RF0W9kA2oMs

Ecco fatto!

Last edited by Mr. Square; 07/24/13 11:36 PM.

Roland Juno DS

2001 Steinway L (554781) Gone, but not forgotten.

[Linked Image]
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission