2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
37 members (akc42, Chouca, Beemer, caffree, Calavera, blueviewlaguna., Animisha, 11 invisible), 334 guests, and 228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
VAX77 ...
#2120754 07/20/13 10:08 PM
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
... discontinued ... researching the feasibility of a much lower cost version of the VAX77 with a target price of $1200

http://www.infiniteresponse.com/

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
Had I progressed to playing chords,
I would be 'domisol' shocked
Re: VAX77 ...
doremi #2120761 07/20/13 10:14 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Well, that's too bad as it was a good new controller. Hopefully the company will continue and find ways to create other good products.

doremi #2120762 07/20/13 10:15 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by doremi
... discontinued ... researching the feasibility of a much lower cost version of the VAX77 with a target price of $1200

Thanks for the news! Just wondering what will be sacrificed to get to that price point.

doremi #2120826 07/21/13 01:06 AM
E
E
$1200 VAX? Can I pre-order one? smile

Scott Hamlin #2120883 07/21/13 07:08 AM

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plinky88

Thanks for the news! Just wondering what will be sacrificed to get to that price point.

Hope they keep the "folding keyboard" design.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
ClsscLib #2121010 07/21/13 01:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Originally Posted by Plinky88

It is one of the defining features of the VAX77 so I would expect they would keep the folding design. Then again, I know better than expect... smile

Bosendorff #2121043 07/21/13 02:22 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Bosendorff
Well, that's too bad as it was a good new controller. Hopefully the company will continue and find ways to create other good products.

New in the sense that it was around for over 5 years!

I guess they just weren't selling enough of them to stay afloat. A very boutique item. I wouldn't imagine a $1,200 version would have nearly the quality of the original. Maybe they are just preparing to get them made out of junk metal in South East Asia somewhere.

doremi #2121045 07/21/13 02:29 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
What they actually made them? I thought the V77 was vapourware.

justpin #2121368 07/22/13 04:25 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by justpin

They made'em alright! IIRC, I got the last remaining red one they produced. A real pity they're not gonna make them anymore like this as they're an awesome keyboard to own. They're not for everybody, but I love mine and it compliments my Nord perfectly.

Here's a link to pics of my humble rig............. no "feedback" about the X stand please!!!! blush

Robs Vax77

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
Siriosys #2121377 07/22/13 05:21 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Siriosys
Originally Posted by justpin

They made'em alright! IIRC, I got the last remaining red one they produced. A real pity they're not gonna make them anymore like this as they're an awesome keyboard to own. They're not for everybody, but I love mine and it compliments my Nord perfectly.

Here's a link to pics of my humble rig............. no "feedback" about the X stand please!!!! blush

Robs Vax77

It really does look like a close relative of your Nord smile

So what is the action like to play? Most of us have never seen one, let alone played on one. What is it like for pianistic style?

doremi #2121430 07/22/13 09:39 AM
R
R
I had one for about a year. It had the heavy action and I upgraded it to an extra heavy. It is not really a great match for playing piano, the action is very smooth and consistant but no escapement and always felt like you were playing a bunch of springs, which I guess you were. I actually preferred my VMK176. I will say it was well made and looked like a work of art.

ClsscLib #2121679 07/22/13 09:30 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

That was the part I was hoping they would ditch. When folded the exposed key movements look really fragile. Seems they would need a hard shell case to protect them. And if it's got to fold why not go for 88 keys?

doremi #2121687 07/22/13 09:59 PM
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Has anybody wondered about the $1200 price target yet? What will it be competing against? Are there currently any non-hammer-action controllers around in that ballpark?

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
Had I progressed to playing chords,
I would be 'domisol' shocked
doremi #2121744 07/23/13 12:59 AM
E
E
To my knowledge everything around that price range either has graded hammer action, or is a totally different animal, like a synth workstation with organ-type keys.

I believe VAX will still be in its own class. The only thing that drew me towards the old VAX77 was the accuracy of the sensors and the MIDI data sent out. Also it was highly praised by Stevie Wonder, calling it the best he'd ever touched (And Stevie plays, in addition to everything under the sun in seems, piano - so he should know a good action when he plays one, right?).

I hope they don't sacrifice sensor resolution and evenness of the keyboard as a whole. We'll see I guess. smile

ando #2121812 07/23/13 07:19 AM
S
S

[/quote]

It really does look like a close relative of your Nord smile

So what is the action like to play? Most of us have never seen one, let alone played on one. What is it like for pianistic style? [/quote]

Hahaha......... yeah, it is really and it wasn't actually intentional. I'm almost afraid to play in public now because my Guitar, and both my Nord and Vax are pretty much all the same colour red! ..... as is a pair of shoes I own, but that's a different story.

As for the Action, it's quite different than anything else I've played regularly. I come from a classical background so had previously many years on a Bosendorfer grand which is kinda what I use for my benchmarks of keyboard feel - albeit somewhat at the extreme end (both in price and quality).

The action could probably best be described as a little shallow, but very nimble and extremely responsive to play. I can actually trill on a single key far quicker on the Vax than I can on any other keyboard I've used. The Action was available in 3 different "weights". I chose the "heavy" action which was said to offer the best trade-off between a waterfall (organ), Clav, and piano keyboard. There was a heavier action again, but I wanted to use mine for Organ or Clav parts so didn't want the extra weight. Comparing its action to that of the Nord, it's a lighter weight.

For playing piano only, it's definitely doable and I'm ok with it, but I'd think a lot of people would find it a little on the light side. Having said that, I discovered the most strange of things when playing - if I close my eyes when I play and just forget about the keyboard, I can play faster and more accurately on the Vax than on my Nord, but dynamics are slightly harder to master. they keys are textured a little like Roland does on some of their RD series instruments and I really like it.

From a digital instrument standpoint, it's hands-down the easiest keyboard for me to use, but that's possibly to do with me becoming used to it and subconsciously adapting my playing style / technique to work with it's keyboard action. I often use it to play the Nord sounds and it really comes into it's own in that reguard - especially with the Clav, Organ, and EP's.
by the way, it has polyphonic after-touch, a feature that's useless on DP's, but comes into it's own when used with Synth patches that support it.

Sorry that was a little long-winded, but I'm sure you get the idea. I really just hope they bring out something with the same or very similar keyboard action, because frankly, that's what sets it apart from the other keyboards out there.......oh yeah, of course, it's foldable too.

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
dewster #2121813 07/23/13 07:31 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by dewster

That was the part I was hoping they would ditch. When folded the exposed key movements look really fragile. Seems they would need a hard shell case to protect them. And if it's got to fold why not go for 88 keys?

Dewster, I'm not sure if you've only seen pics or videos online or actually used one in the flesh, but the "guts" are recessed slightly and I've never had an issue with the exposed keys. Having said that, when packed in it's soft case, I place a piece of wooden board over the exposed end so as to avoid "accidental insertion of foreign bodies" into it's inner-workings.

it's worth noting that they're built like tanks (or were) and even the pitch-shift and mod wheels are metal.

If there'd been a model with 88 keys I think they may have sold more, but as you probably well know, this would have pushed the retail price up somewhat. I may be wrong, but there was also some discussion a long time ago about the chosen number of keys and I think that the 77 key model fits in an over-head stowage on Int'l flights whereas the 88 didn't.

Nord Stage 2, VAX77
Siriosys #2121835 07/23/13 08:53 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Siriosys
Dewster, I'm not sure if you've only seen pics or videos online or actually used one in the flesh, but the "guts" are recessed slightly and I've never had an issue with the exposed keys. Having said that, when packed in it's soft case, I place a piece of wooden board over the exposed end so as to avoid "accidental insertion of foreign bodies" into it's inner-workings.

Thanks for that feedback! And, yes, I've only seen the VAX in videos where this protective wooden board isn't shown nor mentioned, so I'm wincing all the way through.

In your photos the VAX looks kind of like an unfinished prototype.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hammer Drilling Jig
by BDB - 07/10/20 12:15 AM
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-700 Series
by Almaviva - 07/09/20 09:57 PM
Chicago's "Colour My World"
by MacMorrighan - 07/09/20 09:53 PM
Re-envisioning the Piano Recital: An Audiovisual Alternative
by Tyrone Slothrop - 07/09/20 08:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,155
Posts2,978,938
Members97,722
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission