2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#21204 07/05/06 07:05 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I'm going to check out a rebuilt 1906 Steinway O, going for 15K. Doesn't that seem incredibly cheap?
Yes, but it doesn't hurt to look. I'd recommend the have a tech check thing, but it seems as though you're on top of that. smile

2. What about the effects of humidity in the packing up of pianos and container shipping them by SEA on a journey of several weeks. I suppose this would apply to used pianos AND new pianos because they all have to get here by container. I don't think container ships are perfectly climate controlled, and often they have containers on deck, making for extreme changes in temperature.
Very important points, and is in large part one of the reasons that responsible piano dealers (new or used) have a sufficient service department to bring the pianos back to optimal playing condition.

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
#21205 07/06/06 07:34 AM
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is only a guess but I suspect the Steinway O is going to need considerable work. If you found one that didn't at 15K, it would be an incredible find.

#21206 07/06/06 08:59 AM
M
M
1. I've heard it's actually the heating systems in Japan that are the crucial factor (they do not generally have central heating but usually space heaters moved room to room as needed)
I do not know what space heaters are, but it is true that most Japanese houses are not central heated. According to a white paper, more than 90% families in japan own kerosene heaters, which produce a lot of water molecules.

In most cases, upright pinanos are placed close to the walls where the temperature in winters is lowest than other part of the room. I guess relative humidiy in such rooms in winter in Japan is nealy 100%.

2. What about the effects of humidity in the packing up of pianos and container shipping them by SEA on a journey of several weeks. I suppose this would apply to used pianos AND new pianos because they all have to get here by container. I don't think container ships are perfectly climate controlled, and often they have containers on deck, making for extreme changes in temperature.
According to a used piano exporting compay in Japan, they buy used pianos in Japna, send them to Vietnam to recondition(or restore) and then ship to the world including north america. Used Japanese pianos are not always shipped from Japan direct to North America. Some(or most) of them stay in tropical countries for several weeks.

#21207 07/06/06 09:15 AM
M
M
1. I've heard it's actually the heating systems in Japan that are the crucial factor (they do not generally have central heating but usually space heaters moved room to room as needed)
C3 is considered, in Japan, a minimum model for students in Japan.
unwealthy families generally use kerosene heaters in winters and own ebony C3s. A little more wealthy families use non-kerosece heaters(e.g., conentional air conditioners) and own C3 in mahogany or Kawais which are less durable than Yamaha and need more maintenace costs than Yamaha.
If I buy a low-end pianos used in Japan, I would avoid ebony C3, and would never buy ebony Yamaha uprights.

#21208 07/06/06 05:37 PM
You can better understand the grey market thing with Yamaha if you remember that Yamaha USA is a separate corporation form Yamaha. Yamaha USA buys pianos from Yamaha & resells them. A piano sold by Yamaha in Japan that winds up in the US made Yamaha USA no $$$. That's why they offer no support for these pianos. When you order a part for a Yamaha USA sold piano, you must give a ser #. They keep track of what was ordered for which piano. They can't be expected to have all of the Japanese numbers in their data base. Bottom line, Roger Ransom is right, they're just used pianos.

Clint Tucker, Piano Retailer For Almost Thirty Years(OMG). Yamaha and Pramberger
#21209 07/06/06 07:38 PM
C
OP Offline
C
masaki, I don't understand.. is there really so much difference in price between mahogany finish and ebony finish that families in Japan who buy the mahogany have a significantly more affluent lifestyle? would you avoid the used ebony C3 from Japan because it's likely to have been put to harder use, or because it would be kept in non-optimal conditions?

#21210 07/07/06 10:52 PM
M
M
is there really so much difference in price between mahogany finish and ebony finish
 I tried to find a Yamaha grand full price list that includs Mahogany and Walnut modes, and learned no such list available on the web.
Yamaha, Japan says Mahogary and Walnut modes are availabe on made-to-oder bases, but they do not mention about the prices. In the past, as I remember, Mahogany modes are approximately 15% more expensive than ebony on list-price bases.
Ebonies are ready-made and discountable 7-20%, but
I guess made-to-order models are not discountable as in ready-made modes.

have a significantly more affluent lifestyle?
Significantly more affluent families in Japan would not buy any Yamahas regardelss of the body finishes. They would by Bösendorfer or S&S. Walnut or Mahogany Yamahas are for only for families whoare little wealthier than average, restaurans or bars.
would you avoid the used ebony C3 from Japan because it's likely to have been put to harder use, or because it would be kept in non-optimal conditios?
Both.
Ebony C3s are mainly used by college students and enthusiastic amateurs and are heavily used.
An attribute in which, considered at least in Japan, Yamaha is superior than Kawai or any other manufacturers is durability. Yamaha users in Japan are believing their instruments can survive in high humidities(e.g., 70 or up) and voicing is virtually unneccessary.

#21211 07/13/06 07:01 PM
C
OP Offline
C
By the way, I didn't get the C3; my heart was just not in it. I'm holding out for a Steinway. Thank you all very much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission