Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
92 registered members (bobrunyan, 36251, accordeur, butchkoch, ando, AWilley, 29 invisible), 1,417 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System #2120449
07/20/13 07:25 AM
07/20/13 07:25 AM
Hun,EU
Temperament Offline OP
Temperament  Offline OP

Hun,EU
I have my CA65 for 4 weeks.

I am applying quite a few acoustic and digital enhancements to get it to a similar quality level as an CA95 and CS10 (which have a much more substantial native sound experience due to their integrated soundboard than the ca65.)

Beside of the soundboard, feature-wise the CA65 is pracically the same, they share the same GF keyboard and internal sound engines, menue system and should sound identical when listening through headphones or connected to external amp system over lineout, as was confirmed by Kawai(and KJ here on the forum) a couple of times. So my experiences and suggestion should be valid for CA95/CA65 or even for CS10.

I found the GF keyboard is good enough, for me was the best among all of present DPs (subjectively, to be sure). The biggest improvement to my earlier KAWAI CA51 was how easy it is for the fingers and hands, it feels very consistent, quiet and smooth. Longer front levers, pivot point offet of black keys are beneficial for playability indeed.

(However it is not the perfect ultimate DP keyboard yet IMO, there remains enough room for improvements: it didn't make fast trills so much smoother and easier as I expected at first, the playing out of the jack was really a lacking feature for me, because it lets a certain uncertain touch feeling ... But for the time being, I am certain I had no better options for my purposes among current DP action offerings. )

Soundwise, the CA65 had nothing of a great sound as I first played it at home after assembling the cabinet. The first impression was nothing short of a dissapointment, even when well knowing that the CA95's sound is much greater. Out of the box it's sound was not that of a substantial instrument. Both the boxes and the internal sounds sounded weak, meager and without detail, after I was now accustomed to play on my acoustics for the last 3 Months.

But interestingly (after making some tweaking with settings) the instrument made a consistent playing experience and after a short while I could play even with the native sound without getting fed up with it. Was I growing in the possibilities(?) limitations(?) of my tools? It was very similar to my previous Pianoteq experiences. Now I have to ask seriously, was this mererly the proverbial self deceiving psychology or perhaps the instrument itself had to be physically broken in with its boxes(or both way).

To enhance dynamic playing experience especially playing pp and ppp, you have some "Virtual Technician" settings, which are disabled from factory but I found them especially very helpful:

"2. Voicing": I am setting this to dynamic. Hammer hardness and brightness is than made dependent of velocity. This effect stretches the experience of dynamic playing, not a fully "genuine" enhancement, not equally appropriate for any music, and the effect is not scalable, but helps a lot to expand the range of expression to get closer to an acoustic, IMHO. I personally found it very helpful for practicing.

"8. Hammer delay": This option recreates the longer travelling time of the hammer in acoutics when playig pp, from escapement until hitting the keys. I am setting this to 6

Otherwise I have played around with Basic Manu->ToneControl (a built-in EQ - but I wouldn't like to make any recommendations of any particular settings yet.)

I have sent the sound of the CA65 by direct monitoring to the Genelecs and even back to the instrument, mixing them, but it brought a slight quality loss (it was flat, even with the headphone output over the otherwise EMU there was a sound quality loss). What the most significant bottleneck is, I am not sure at the moment. (Input or Output of the audio interface, LineIn or LineOut of the CA65? the internal EQ system passed by by this routing(?) some or all of them?, to which extent ? I'll have to experiment further, perhaps with the new AI...) At the moment the internal sounds are best with the instrument native sound system itself, as it is.

I found the CA65 instruments Concert Grand and Jazz as the most useful for me (and the a Upright as interesting).

But I have got the best out of the CA65 in connection with Pianoteq (Blüthner Player and intimate, Bösendorfer, D4 Daily Praxis) when I mixed the sound from PT over the Genelec boxes and the CA65 Amp (MIDI local control set to OFF).

Major improvement measures I applied for this:
  • not to use Pianoteq standalone but Pianoteq VSTi from within DAW (Reaper) - a huge improvement, which I couldn't undertand why
  • to avoid the use Pianoteq's internal processing and effects (reverb, delay) I am using Reapers AddIns ReaSurround; reaReverberate or ReaVerb instead to much better results
  • ASIO Streming rate set to 192kb. While not quite clear how this can lead to better sound (I am using Pianoteq Standard with 48kb internal processing), it is a significant improvemnt, sound is much more detailed and real (far from being an illusion.) The explanation is perhaps that my Audio Interface (EMU0404USB) cannot play lower than max resolution optimally or perhaps real differences between sampling rates are generally neglected. I shall have an answer soon, because I'll have to replace my AI.

@MacMacMac: there is a summer Promo from Pianoteq,
Buy (or upgrade to) Pianoteq Standard or Pro and get a free Pianoteq add-on of your choice worth 49 euros
I think this could be some answer to Your previous dilemma, how much it would be cost to get a Blüthner. See my above improvements list, it might easily be the source for our strong differing previous views on pianoteq, the sound I am getting is night and day to the native standalone output. (I am not connected to Pianoteq in any ways beside of being a normal user of their Standard edition with the Blüthner - just as I am impartial with regard to KAWAI or other manufacturers.)

Last edited by Temperament; 07/20/13 11:34 AM.

Acoustic: own clavichord!, Burger&Jacoby,Biel (nice vintage vertical)
Digital: CA65; Pianoteq; Sampled:Galaxy VintageD+Vienna(Bösendorfer)
Sampletekk Black,PMI, etc...
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sond System [Re: Temperament] #2120480
07/20/13 10:24 AM
07/20/13 10:24 AM
Atlanta, GA
J
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jake Jackson  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Atlanta, GA
Interesting explanation of what you have discovered. Am I correct in understanding that you ran 2 lines from your sound card's L and R Out into the keyboard's L and R Ins, and then ran a second pair of cords from the keyboard's Out's into the amp for the monitors? (Or directly into the monitors--are they powered?) So that gives you two stages of amplification.

But what puzzles me is that you hear the vst version of Pianoteq in Reaper as better than the stand-alone. Two questions:

1. Are the effects in Reaper the main reason for this, or does the vst in Reaper sound better to you raw?
2. Are you using exactly the same audio settings in the standalone and the vst in Reaper versions? The same sampling rate, the same audio buffer size? The same bit rate, which you only be able to see by opening the sound cards interface?

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sond System [Re: Temperament] #2120492
07/20/13 10:55 AM
07/20/13 10:55 AM
Poland
K
kapelli Offline
500 Post Club Member
kapelli  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Poland
Temperament,
How do you find Vintage D vs Bluthner? They are different, or you find one of them better than another?

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Jake Jackson] #2120509
07/20/13 11:33 AM
07/20/13 11:33 AM
Hun,EU
Temperament Offline OP
Temperament  Offline OP

Hun,EU
Originally Posted by Jake Jackson
Am I correct in understanding that you ran 2 lines from your sound card's L and R Out into the keyboard's L and R Ins, and then ran a second pair of cords from the keyboard's Out's into the amp for the monitors? (Or directly into the monitors--are they powered?) So that gives you two stages of amplification.

Well, my two mixing configurations which worked (best the first one):

1. Pianoteq output to a mix of powered near-field monitor boxes + DPs internal sound system: balanced outs of the sound card went to the monitor boxes, unbalanced pair to the CA65 line in.

2. Mixing based on the CA65 internal sounds: line out of DP into sound card in direct monitor modus, balanced outs into the monitors, mixing with the DPs own sound over it's native speakers. (Line in of the DP disconnected.) Even a computer wan't be needed for this.

My explanation why this might be an improvement: it is probably more important for a good sound stage to have multiple speakers than to have one pair of superior speakers (which the Genelecs are, but they deliver a rather punctual sound being strongly directional.)

But what puzzles me is that you hear the vst version of Pianoteq in Reaper as better than the stand-alone. Two questions:

1. Are the effects in Reaper the main reason for this, or does the vst in Reaper sound better to you raw?
2. Are you using exactly the same audio settings in the standalone and the vst in Reaper versions? The same sampling rate, the same audio buffer size? The same bit rate, which you only be able to see by opening the sound cards interface?

Definitively yes, I was puzzled too, tried therefore to apply painstakingly the same Pianoteq settings (including velocity curves) fully dry, without any effects and A/B-d them. This was a definitive result (a little pitty because you have to refuse some convenience of the standalone version, the recording features e.g.). ASIO driver settings were exactly the same too. My problem is that I'll hardly find time to repaet and document all of this appropriately (working stress before and then after holidays).

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: kapelli] #2120512
07/20/13 11:35 AM
07/20/13 11:35 AM
Hun,EU
Temperament Offline OP
Temperament  Offline OP

Hun,EU
Originally Posted by kapelli
Temperament,
How do you find Vintage D vs Bluthner? They are different, or you find one of them better than another?

VintageD was my favorite and was the only sampled piano I tried so far with my new CA65.

But playability advantages seemed for the moment more real and interesting for me so I spent little time playing VintageD with the CA65. I cannot say this will be so in future, but as said, I am in time shortage now, and playing time is mostly an evening refugium after all day's stress and no room for professional experiments or working on objective judgement at the moment.

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sond System [Re: Temperament] #2120527
07/20/13 12:10 PM
07/20/13 12:10 PM
Atlanta, GA
J
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jake Jackson  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Temperament
...Well, my two mixing configurations which worked (best the first one):

1. Pianoteq output to a mix of powered near-field monitor boxes + DPs internal sound system: balanced outs of the sound card went to the monitor boxes, unbalanced pair to the CA65 line in.

2. Mixing based on the CA65 internal sounds: line out of DP into sound card in direct monitor modus, balanced outs into the monitors, mixing with the DPs own sound over it's native speakers. (Line in of the DP disconnected.) Even a computer wan't be needed for this.

My explanation why this might be an improvement: it is probably more important for a good sound stage to have multiple speakers than to have one pair of superior speakers (which the Genelecs are, but they deliver a rather punctual sound being strongly directional.)

I'm still confused. How many monitors are you using? Are you using two monitors AND the keyboard's speakers, assuming that it has them? You mention suspecting that more monitors are better, but do not mention the number that you use.)

About the difference in the vsti and standalone versions: One thing that occurs to me are the settings on the soundstage\mics page in Pianoteq. Reaper might alter or interpret or high-jack those settings in some way that you might be able to duplicate in the standalone version of Pianoteq. I wonder if Reaper is sending the mic pairs to different outputs, while the default settings in the Standalone version of PT are sending both pairs to both outputs. Or the opposite. Easily changed, if so.

I really think it would be a good idea to post your first message here on the Pianoteq forum at http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewforum.php?id=1 . Registering only takes a few seconds. There is at least one person there who knows Reaper far better than I do. You have either found a bug, which the good people at PT will fix, or are running into an unusual configuration tangle that can be sorted out. No need to suffer when cutting and pasting your first message can lead to a solution and give us all a better understanding of the best configuration. (Lie back and think of the empire...)

But I'm not trying to pull you away from the discussion in this forum. It's just that you'll be read by many more people experienced with Pianoteq, and by the PT developers, on the Modartt forum.

Last edited by Jake Jackson; 07/20/13 12:22 PM.
Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Jake Jackson] #2120561
07/20/13 01:53 PM
07/20/13 01:53 PM
Hun,EU
Temperament Offline OP
Temperament  Offline OP

Hun,EU
How many monitors are you using? Are you using two monitors AND the keyboard's speakers, assuming that it has them? You mention suspecting that more monitors are better, but do not mention the number that you use.)

I have the KAWAI CA65, which is not a keyboard but a higher-end cabinet piano. It has a built-in "4 Speaker Sound System", 2 speakers of them for the mids and bass facing downards deep below the cabinet, and the 2 tweeters in the front panel on the left and right side just facing forwards (towards the player and the room behind). This is complemented by a pair of Genelec 8020B near field monitors sitting left and right on the cabinet, facing directly towards the player. (I didn't use my 12" extra sub this time.)

[quote=Jake Jackson]About the difference in the vsti and standalone versions: One thing that occurs to me are the settings on the soundstage\mics page in Pianoteq. Reaper might alter or interpret or high-jack those settings in some way that you might be able to duplicate in the standalone version of Pianoteq. I wonder if Reaper is sending the mic pairs to different outputs, while the default settings in the Standalone version of PT are sending both pairs to both outputs. Or the opposite. Easily changed, if so.[quote]

I am using 2 output channels only, the channels will be duplicated by the soundcard HW.

Microphone setting cannot differ, I have tested with "Stereophonic" preset, which has now parameters to configurate.

OK, I'll repeat my A/B now. Also with headphones (Sennheiser HD650), but I think I'll publish the result here and over there on the Modartt forum after I have verified it all tomorrow.

(I am just trying to rule out self-deception...)

Last edited by Temperament; 07/20/13 02:07 PM. Reason: cahnnels + mic
Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Temperament] #2121104
07/21/13 04:07 PM
07/21/13 04:07 PM
Hun,EU
Temperament Offline OP
Temperament  Offline OP

Hun,EU
Well I did some experiments, and indeed, the SQ of the absolute dry configuration of native Piantoeq and the VSTI were very similar.

I did velocity calibration resetting (after tried it to set the velocity curves numerically identical - previously I have checked it only visually and there were minor numerical differences. Are these velocity curves so sensitive, small changes causing big effects?)

The sound quality differences I observed are narrowed down to the processing module's qualities. (Binaural mode vs. reaper's ambisonic reasurround), PT reverb vs. reaVerbate.

Sorry when giving premature informations on Pianoteq VSTI vs. Native, but at least for the next 1-2 months I'll have no time to work out any further details on this, so take it as is: suggestion for playing with it Yourself if You are - like myself - keenly interested in learning the possibilities and limitations of our tools.

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Temperament] #2121864
07/23/13 10:36 AM
07/23/13 10:36 AM
Atlanta, GA
J
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jake Jackson  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Atlanta, GA
Glad to hear that the difference in the sound appears to be reduced.

I'm not sure what to say about the large changes that small velocity curve changes may create--it may be a matter of small differences making some sounds or freqs reach an audible level, or in Pianoteq, overcoming the inertia of the soundboard.

By the way, did you check your settings on the Pianoteq mics page? I'm curious about what possibilities your sound card, with its 4 outs, may open up. If you turn on the keyboard and sound card first, and then start Pianoteq, do you see four outs available in Pianoteq, letting you choose which mics or stereo outs go to your keyboard's speakers or to the Genelecs? In other words, in Pianoteq, below the word "Output" and beside the words "Sound Recording," click on the image of the microphone. In the lower half of the mics page, on the right side of the mics grid, the outputs that are available will have a blue-gray background. If all four of your outs are available, you can use the mics grid to send different mics to different speakers and control their delay and relative amplitude. You can then save these mic settings, or sets of mic settings, by clicking on Exit on the right side of the mics page, clicking on Sound Recording, and then clicking on "Save as" to create a preset. Sorry if this is self-evident, but it took me a while to understand it at one time.

If you can apply EQ to the mics that play through your keyboard, that will give you the ability to create many variations in the sound.

What would be still more interesting would be if your sound card had 6 outs and the keyboard's speakers could be set to a different channel or pair of channels or had separate Ins for each pair, which would let you set up 6 mics in Pianoteq and have each going to a separate speaker--4 to the keyboard's speakers and 2 to the Genelecs. But according to the Kawai's spec sheet (at http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/CA65_95/ca65-specs.html) there seems to be only one In. Seems almost possible, however. If the cables to the speakers in your keyboard are plugged into its amp instead of soldered in, you might be able to set this up. Don't cringe-- some digital home pianos do use plugs to connect the speakers, and they are not hard to find--the plug may be near the speaker. I think it makes manufacturing a little easier and lets the user attach a different set of speakers. But that may be a project for a different day and a different sound card, with 6 outs.

In any case, I hope you will let us know if all 4 of the Outs on your sound card show up in the Pianoteq mics page, and if so, it gives you a wider range of ways to adjust the sound.

Last edited by Jake Jackson; 07/23/13 10:58 AM.
Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Jake Jackson] #2122938
07/25/13 06:13 PM
07/25/13 06:13 PM
Hun,EU
Temperament Offline OP
Temperament  Offline OP

Hun,EU
Hi, Jake, unfortunately, my present audio interface (EMU0404USB) has no support for multi-channel routing for it's analogue outputs: the unbalanced ones happen to simply double the symmetrical output (stripping-off one half of the symmetrical signal, I guess.)

As the sound card is already dying (volume control knob), I'll have a replacement for it probably very soon, and the features You have mentioned will be an important requirement to be able to experiment further. (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6?).

At the moment I am simply mixing the same output, distributing it among two set of box systems, which I think already strong beneficial for getting a more spatial sound space.

(And at the moment I have bigger problems to cope with, so I am trying postponing all of my unprofessional projects. This review was a kind of duty, after posting a lot on the subject previously.)

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Temperament] #2122967
07/25/13 07:18 PM
07/25/13 07:18 PM
Atlanta, GA
J
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jake Jackson  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Temperament
Hi, Jake, unfortunately, my present audio interface (EMU0404USB) has no support for multi-channel routing for it's analogue outputs: the unbalanced ones happen to simply double the symmetrical output (stripping-off one half of the symmetrical signal, I guess.)

As the sound card is already dying (volume control knob), I'll have a replacement for it probably very soon, and the features You have mentioned will be an important requirement to be able to experiment further. (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6?).

At the moment I am simply mixing the same output, distributing it among two set of box systems, which I think already strong beneficial for getting a more spatial sound space.

(And at the moment I have bigger problems to cope with, so I am trying postponing all of my unprofessional projects. This review was a kind of duty, after posting a lot on the subject previously.)

I should say that, after checking Pianoteq again, I found that it has five outs, not six, as I suggested earlier.

In any case, I created a thread on the Modartt forum a few minutes ago requesting information about using sound cards with multiple outs and mentioning the Focusrite box:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?pid=927066#p927066

So you have me interested, now. That Focusrite card looks interesting.

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Jake Jackson] #2123751
07/27/13 10:47 AM
07/27/13 10:47 AM
Atlanta, GA
J
Jake Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jake Jackson  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

Atlanta, GA
(My post on the Pianoteq forum asking questions about sound cards with multiple outs and the Focusrite has received more than one response.)

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Jake Jackson] #2124092
07/28/13 05:28 AM
07/28/13 05:28 AM
Hun,EU
Temperament Offline OP
Temperament  Offline OP

Hun,EU

... replied myself over there:

With the remaining functionality of my dying EMU0404USB with spdif in/out the 6i6 seems to bring an ideal configuration.

NI Komplete Audio6 comes to mind, with practically the same features as the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.

With the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 I have read, that this cannot be used for direct monitoring without SW, if I undertood this correctly. Would be a real limitation, when I want to use my internal DP sound over my Genelec monitors (alone or as a mix with the CA65 internal sound. )

Another aspect: with my EMU0404USB I made the experience (very definitievely) that output over 192kb makes an audibly much more detailed sound than over 48 or even 96kb. (And I have Pianoteq standard with 48kb sound processing only, but this observation was equally valid for VintageD or even any better sound output from players - like Czesky Rhozlas D-Dur, a radio with FLAC (! with VLC player).

Might be the EMU is suboptimal with lower than highest bitrate handling, and with better AI it is a non-issue, otherwise I would like to have an AI with 192 capabilities.

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Temperament] #2145616
09/07/13 06:02 AM
09/07/13 06:02 AM
S
samol Offline
samol  Offline
S

Hello Temperament and thanks for your useful explanations.
I ran pianoteq today with my newly acquired CA65.

I'm sending the internal audio card of my computer to the CA65 line in and then use the integrated speakers or headphones (AKG 240).

The sound in the headphone is good (there are no perceivable differences than when directly plugged to the soundcard)
but the sound of the integrated speakers seem distant, muffled.

Did you experienced the same results ?
Is there a way to tweak the sound in Pianoteq to have better results ?
I tried boosting the high frequencies with Pianoteq EQ, it's better but too artificial and nowhere near the internal sound quality.

The internal sounds are good both with headphones and the integrated speakers. I suspect the same "line in EQ issue" than on the CA95.

Ps: Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the CA65, the action is great, the internal sounds are good, it's the best in it's price range.
I'm just a little disappointed not being able to enjoy the audio line-in.

Last edited by samol; 09/07/13 12:02 PM.
Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: samol] #2146019
09/07/13 09:26 PM
09/07/13 09:26 PM
Rocky Mountains
R
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
rnaple  Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

2000 Post Club Member
R

Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted by samol

Doesn't this sound like an impedance mis match?

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: samol] #2146165
09/08/13 03:43 AM
09/08/13 03:43 AM
The Netherlands
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
JFP  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

The Netherlands
Originally Posted by samol

The internal sounds are good both with headphones and the integrated speakers. I suspect the same "line in EQ issue" than on the CA95.

Ps: Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the CA65, the action is great, the internal sounds are good, it's the best in it's price range.

According to Kawai there shouldn't be a 'line-in issue' with the CA95 , cause - in contrast to the ca65 - there IS a correction EQ in between the line in and speaker system on the 95. I haven't been ale to verify this myself (yet). According to some owners the sound going through the audio-in still doesn't sound as expected over the speaker system and is rather 'thin' or 'low-fi'. So even on the 95 some extra correction maybe necessary.

Perhaps Kawai can add a separate EQ stage between audio-in and speaker system in future products with the purpose of getting the best possible sound when routing external audio through your DP's amp system. Good sales pitch: regardless of using the excellent internal sounds and/or your own favorite software instrument over the Piano's speaker system, it will provide you with the ultimate acoustic playing experience pleasure, bla bla bla , marketing speak...

Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: rnaple] #2146172
09/08/13 04:17 AM
09/08/13 04:17 AM
S
samol Offline
samol  Offline
S

Originally Posted by rnaple

Doesn't this sound like an impedance mismatch?

Perhaps.

The line in knob is labelled -oo to 0
With a line level source (soundcard RCA output) or a mp3 player level source I have to turn the knob next to -oo in order to have a good level sound.
If I turn down the source volume and turn up the CA65 line in knob I get too much noise and 50hz signal (Can't find an accessible ground point on the CA65 to remove the 50hz signal).

Unfortunately I'm not expert enough to do further experiments.

Originally Posted by JFP

According to Kawai there shouldn't be a 'line-in issue' with the CA95 , cause - in contrast to the ca65 - there IS a correction EQ in between the line in and speaker system

It's good to know that Kawai gave you an answer on your question about the line-in EQ of the CA95. I was left thinking it was a "taboo" question.

Edit :
I made further testings and I still experience the same loss in quality/clarity through the line in of the CA65.

1 - playing a midi file recorded in the piano memory with the "concert grand" internal song
2 - at the same time the piano was sending midi output to Pianoteq (with the "K1" the virtual piano most similar to a Kawai piano), the PC soundcard sent back the audio signal to the CA65 line in.

1 - playing a mp3 file from an USB key with the internal mp3 decoder
2 - playing the same mp3 on PC with audio signal sent back to the CA65 line in

Last edited by samol; 09/08/13 08:37 AM.
Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Temperament] #2146229
09/08/13 09:08 AM
09/08/13 09:08 AM
Hun,EU
Temperament Offline OP
Temperament  Offline OP

Hun,EU
I did the test proposed by others (JFP I think):
Playing the recorded CA65 sound back from computer into the CA65(.WAV, should be identical of a CA95/CS10 recording).

Result: Input by HP the practically loss-less (same quality as playing directly on the CA65), while playing back with the boxes there is a definitive change. There is a loss of detail, but the general tonal characteristic of the CA65 is EQ-d too high IMHO and the sound played back is more neutral - but not that high quality.

As I previously described, I could get benefits even with this sound, if I used it in addition to my monitor boxes (Genelec 8020) as a directional complementary sound source.

Acoustic: own clavichord!, Burger&Jacoby,Biel (nice vintage vertical)
Digital: CA65; Pianoteq; Sampled:Galaxy VintageD+Vienna(Bösendorfer)
Sampletekk Black,PMI, etc...
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs
Re: CA65 Owner's Review + Pianoteq w. External Sound System [Re: Temperament] #2148297
09/11/13 03:06 PM
09/11/13 03:06 PM
S
samol Offline
samol  Offline
S

I followed your advice and used a 2.1 computer speaker set I had laying around.

I bought an USB audio card (ESI UDJ6, a nice unit with 6 independent output in a very small case, a great affordable soundcard for VST software without superfluous features).

About 40% of the volume is going to the CA65 line in and 60% to the 2.1kit.
I created a mic setting with 4 mic very close to the piano.

The sound is greatly improved and I can now enjoy the Pianoteq sounds.

Is still like the CA65 concert grand sound (except for the F2 which sound weird, it might be the passage from copper wire to plain wire on the recorded piano) but the main improvements come from the physical aspects of the piano. Especially the sustain pedal sounds which feel very cheap on the CA65 compared to Pianoteq. There's a lot to improve for KAWAI (and probably all the other manufacturers) on that matter.

Last edited by samol; 09/11/13 04:24 PM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to improve from intermediate to andvanced?
by piamissima. 07/21/19 07:06 AM
Yamaha CLP-695gp or N1X hybrid piano?
by James Padgett. 07/20/19 11:33 PM
Dealing with Frustration
by RmntcPianoLvr. 07/20/19 09:39 PM
Beethoven Sonata Op. 101 - trills
by Orange Soda King. 07/20/19 06:04 PM
What software can show this?
by EDV. 07/20/19 04:40 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,100
Posts2,850,284
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission