2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2079177 05/08/13 08:38 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello everybody!

This is my first post on this forum, but I have been a long time lurker. I finally decided to take the plunge. I just recently put in an order with my local Yamaha dealer for an NU1 (which they told me is big time back ordered). They told me that mine would arrive sometime in mid July. Needless to say I am excited, but I do have one or two questions that I couldn't find answered here. For anybody who owns one or who has knowledge -- does this digital piano arrive "put together" or is there some assembly required? If so, can the assembly process be explained a little bit to give me a clear idea of what to expect?

I appreciate everything!

E
E
Hello Jonathan
I have a NU1 and I can assure you make a good choice
To answer your question: Yes, the NU1 comes in one single piece, no assembly is required...as there is nothing to assemble
It looks like a real DP in one single piece

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM

Cheers

By the way,where are you from for having such long delay for being delivered ??

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
by the time July rolls around, you'll probably wished you never asked that question here. smile

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
E
E
Originally Posted by 36251
by the time July rolls around, you'll probably wished you never asked that question here. smile

confused why ?

Music is a lifestyle
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

Haha. July?! By the time May 9th arrives he'll wish he hadn't asked!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by enzo.sandrolini

confused why ?

Because of all the negativity that will pour forth from people who don't own one and who have probably not even played one - or even seen one!

E
E
Originally Posted by EssBrace

Haha. July?! By the time May 9th arrives he'll wish he hadn't asked!

Please,guys, can you explain why ???
I can understand that this forum trigger lots of Gear Acquisition Syndrome amongst their users...
but 9th of May ???
I have the strange feeling to be awkward

Music is a lifestyle
E
E
Originally Posted by EssBrace

confused why ?

Because of all the negativity that will pour forth from people who don't own one and who have probably not even played one - or even seen one!

Humm..you are right, but I think he should listen only to his personal feeling, and to those who owns one (and tested also others)

Music is a lifestyle
J
OP Offline
J

By the way,where are you from for having such long delay for being delivered ??

Thanks so much for the information on assembly. It makes me rest easier because it is a pretty expensive instrument and I definitely wouldn't feel 100% comfortable with myself assembling it if I had to haha!

I am in the North Florida region of the United States. All that my dealer let me know was that Yamaha noted that this model got really popular really quickly, and that they weren't overly prepared for the demand. That being said, I was told the next big batch is coming in July, and then possibly another one in September. It stinks to wait that long, but I figured that I should go ahead and get in line for one!

Last edited by Jonathan.; 05/08/13 09:42 AM.
E
E
Honestly Jonathan,
the NU1 is a really really good DP, you won't regret it
I have owned several different brands (in fact all the brands.. grin), and sold them almost all
I kept only the NU1 (which is my favorite) and the Roland FP 80
I have these two ones for different reasons as I think they are complementary

What is your music background ?
why did you choose the NU1 ?
People who like this piano are often used to play on real upright and want to find the same "feeling" on their DP (it is my case)

Music is a lifestyle
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just played one for the second time last week. My wife and I were on vacation in Zeeland, a Dutch province, and we walked into a mom and pop music store and there it was.

Even though I own an N3 I will probably buy one just to have as a second piano. I like the fact that the action, an upright action, is slightly more difficult (at least to me) to play when compared to an N3.

It's an excellent piano and had Yamaha offered that first, I would have bought it first. Yamaha was very smart in how they introduced their models with the N3 first followed by the N2, the N1, and then the NU1. I can well imagine the NU1s are back ordered.

Enjoy the NU1! The N1 and NU1 are probably the best when you consider their price point.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
E
E
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
I like the fact that the action, an upright action, is slightly more difficult (at least to me) to play when compared to an N3.

I confirm : I really love this Piano BUT it is difficult to play
And indeed, it is the reason why I have chosen it, as by practicing on this piano, I have no probs when I get my lessons with my teacher..
Moreover, I really like its firm action and its sound.

Music is a lifestyle
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I like the fact that the action, an upright action, is slightly more difficult (at least to me) to play when compared to an N3.

I confirm : I really love this Piano BUT it is difficult to play
And indeed, it is the reason why I have chosen it, as by practicing on this piano, I have no probs when I get my lessons with my teacher..
Moreover, I really like its firm action and its sound.
I played one and firm is not the way I'd describe action. I thought it was a light action but wasn't very easy to play fast and accurate. It feels like the action keeping me from being accurate where as my N2 feels like it my technique if I'm off.

IMO, playing an instrument that is considered "harder" is not the way to improve yourself. Playing a great grand action that inspires you, will prove more helpful - just my thoughts. I'm sure there are many views on this.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
36251, we can agree to disagree.

I've played many very fine pianos and while it is great to have an extremely responsive piano for concerts, it always helps to have more technique than the piano is asking for.

I'm sure others can better state this, but for my practicing I want I want to be biking uphill with the wind coming at me.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
36251, we can agree to disagree.

I've played many very fine pianos and while it is great to have an extremely responsive piano for concerts, it always helps to have more technique than the piano is asking for.

I'm sure others can better state this, but for my practicing I want I want to be biking uphill with the wind coming at me.
I agree to disagree. I want to be clear, though...a stiff grand action is not the same as an upright action like on NU1. I feel the compensating you must do to get all the notes to play on upright, IMO, might compromise your technique unless you always play on that action. At least gravity on grands responds equally on each note.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I also have an NU1 and do not find it easy to play, in the sense of controlling the dynamics. Just like my teachers K3. My playing in this area has improved considerably since getting the NU1 to practice on. Those occasional days when my playing is 'perfect' are just magical and occur more often. Still relatively easy beginners repertoire though.

I also play quite regularly on a friends FP7F. It's a much easier action to use expressively (although I dislike the action for other reasons, and dislike SN), and when I play DP's in stores I now believe they flatter my playing. I can also now play quite confidently and expressively on all those pianos I come across in hotels, practice rooms, care homes and so on, that were last regulated in the 80's.

So it's not perfect, but just what I wanted and needed. In fact all my DP GAS has gone.

For now smile

P
P
I have played the NU1 quite a bit and I was very impressed with the instrument in that price range. I would think it would be excellent choice for a practice piano or for somewhere where weather conditions are extreme and tuning is a problem. Headphone use would also be a big plus for some one living in an apartment or having a spouse that sleeps when you want to practice. The action did not seem to be a problem for me compared to a traditional console or upright. Anyone who has a lot of moves with their job would really like this as an option.

Piano Critic-A player and listener. Musician-Bachelors and Masters in Music. Retired from Professional life and just enjoying Music.
J
OP Offline
J
Hello everyone, I wanted to go ahead and bump my old thread and tell all of you fanatics that...... IT'S ARRIVED! I went down to the piano shop yesterday to have a sneak peak (they deliver it Tuesday!). It's absolutely gorgeous in real life, much more than it is in the pictures I have been looking at near daily ever since placing the order. It immediately took my breath away.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Needless to say, I am super excited. Proud to own a Yamaha NU1! Can't wait to report back to you guys about it. I've worked real hard to make it happen, and a lot had to go right for me to be able to purchase it, but to finally be at the end is exciting.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Ooh congrats. I hope it gets delivered professionally. Have you actually played one? ... and what is your ability and experience?

It will be nice to see a photo in its home.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
That is one faaaaiiiiine lookin' piano. I hope it plays as well as it looks. Congrats!

Last edited by gvfarns; 07/13/13 01:47 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission