2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,352 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
...it's clear to me that working with a teacher is the best way to make sure that those pieces eventually come within my reach. 

In a larger sense aren't we all self-taught?

How much of one's piano studies are actually accomplished in the presence of a teacher? Less than 5% probably...

Most of one's work is done alone - both the physical work of playing/practicing and the psychological/emotional work involved in persisting and motivating and encouraging yourself.

Random thoughts on a rainy day...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
So much of the fun is the learning part. I know sometimes I feel a big let down when I'm done with a piece. As much fun as it is being able to play it all the way through there was something nice about every day sitting down and taking on a new measure. And of course... no piece is ever really "finished".

That last part sounds really profound, but I wonder...

If not permanently "finished" then temporarily finished...

It would seem that on the surface of things that for any given player at a certain level of expertise at a given point in time there is probably only so much that can be done or accomplished with a certain piece of music - no matter how long or hard it is worked on - and so, given all this, the piece is finished.

Later, as one's abilities improve and skills increase and the same piece is again attempted, there probably will be more one can do with it - technically and interpretively - to "finish" it at a more sophisticated, better played and better sounding level - but here again there is a point beyond which very little or nothing can be done to finish it even more, and so it is "finished"...

And on it goes...but it is doubtful if this cycle can continue indefinitely, and so at some point it is finally finished.

Now, I am finished...

I don't know John... maybe it's just a character flaw, but I am never satisfied with my playing. I always know I can do better. Nothing ever really feels finished. Don't get me wrong...I like that feeling. It keeps me interested and gives me drive.

Peyton - not a "character flaw", because I feel the same way more often than not (and I certainly don't have any character flaws laugh ) - but maybe it's just a matter of setting one's standards too high, or operating under the illusion that there is more one can do, or believing too much in the "myth" that a piece is never really finished (because one can't play it perfectly every time - or even at all).

When is a piece "finished"?

Technically, it's probably finished when one can play it perfectly as written. Interpretively, it's probably never finished because there may be an almost unlimited number of interpretations and variations one can put on it...perhaps this is what is meant by a piece never being finished...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

M
M
Lessons help me grow (entering yr 5) and give me someone to talk to about music which is absent elsewhere in my life...hmmmm have to do something about that!

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
TrapperJohn,

Here on ABF it's my feeling that we're a mixture of two strains of piano hobbyists. One strain is motivated primarily by the challenge of "getting better" and/or they are really into the whole "a piece is never finished" type pursuit of perfection. The other strain, in which I hope it's not too presumptuous of me to include yourself, is not looking for mountains to climb but just into playing tunes and hearing the hopefully lovely sounds that our piano can make when played with any modicum of technique at all.

I have to take care to remember that even though a perfectionistic set of expectations would make me, personally, so miserable I'd quit playing tomorrow for some other people my own ideas of "that sounds good enough, let's move on" would be just a miserably discouraging. But one result is in threads like this the two types of ABF'ers can end up talking across each other rather with each other...

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
So much of the fun is the learning part. I know sometimes I feel a big let down when I'm done with a piece. As much fun as it is being able to play it all the way through there was something nice about every day sitting down and taking on a new measure. And of course... no piece is ever really "finished".

That last part sounds really profound, but I wonder...

If not permanently "finished" then temporarily finished...

It would seem that on the surface of things that for any given player at a certain level of expertise at a given point in time there is probably only so much that can be done or accomplished with a certain piece of music - no matter how long or hard it is worked on - and so, given all this, the piece is finished.

Later, as one's abilities improve and skills increase and the same piece is again attempted, there probably will be more one can do with it - technically and interpretively - to "finish" it at a more sophisticated, better played and better sounding level - but here again there is a point beyond which very little or nothing can be done to finish it even more, and so it is "finished"...

And on it goes...but it is doubtful if this cycle can continue indefinitely, and so at some point it is finally finished.

Now, I am finished...

I don't know John... maybe it's just a character flaw, but I am never satisfied with my playing. I always know I can do better. Nothing ever really feels finished. Don't get me wrong...I like that feeling. It keeps me interested and gives me drive.

Peyton - not a "character flaw", because I feel the same way more often than not (and I certainly don't have any character flaws laugh ) - but maybe it's just a matter of setting one's standards too high, or operating under the illusion that there is more one can do, or believing too much in the "myth" that a piece is never really finished (because one can't play it perfectly every time - or even at all).

When is a piece "finished"?

Technically, it's probably finished when one can play it perfectly as written. Interpretively, it's probably never finished because there may be an almost unlimited number of interpretations and variations one can put on it...perhaps this is what is meant by a piece never being finished...

There is a quote from a famous musician and I can't remember who the heck it was. It was told to me a long time ago. A famous pianist was asked near the end of his life after countless performances and recordings what he thought about a certain piece that was considered to be the cornerstone of his work. He said something like "I've almost got it!". That says it all to me. A good work is never "finished" because as soon as you think it is you lose something.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Well that's the kind of thing I was talking about. It's a neat anecdote but it really boils down to illustrating that famous touring concert pianists are incredibly perfectionistic about their performances. I think we all know that.

It certainly doesn't inspire me to try to practice some piece of music until it's so perfect a concert artist would think it's almost "finished". I've found two things about my playing. I really enjoy a good tune played well enough that it sounds beautiful and is recognizable. And other people who hear me play are much more concerned with hearing a tune they love than with figuring out how close to perfectly I played it.

In the end, if it gives me pleasure and gives pleasure to others that's as "finished" as it was ever meant to be.

P.S. I also found if I can sing the words to a song people know, they don't even care if I'm playing the piano at all much less how well I played!

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brent H
Well that's the kind of thing I was talking about. It's a neat anecdote but it really boils down to illustrating that famous touring concert pianists are incredibly perfectionistic about their performances. I think we all know that.

It certainly doesn't inspire me to try to practice some piece of music until it's so perfect a concert artist would think it's almost "finished". I've found two things about my playing. I really enjoy a good tune played well enough that it sounds beautiful and is recognizable. And other people who hear me play are much more concerned with hearing a tune they love than with figuring out how close to perfectly I played it.

In the end, if it gives me pleasure and gives pleasure to others that's as "finished" as it was ever meant to be.

P.S. I also found if I can sing the words to a song people know, they don't even care if I'm playing the piano at all much less how well I played!

I don't read it as trying to be "perfect". I see it as always wanting to make it better (not "perfect"). For me that is what keeps the music alive. You don't have to be a famous touring concert pianist to keep trying to improve a piece.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There is a certain element of discovery and growth. There is always something new to discover in a good piece of music, or a new way to expand it. There are always other ways of hearing, or drawing out a note or a series of notes, or using silence. You're not trying to "complete" something like putting together an Ikea chair and when the last bolt is in place and it looks and functions like a chair, you know it's done. There is a creative element and that's the fun part. (Something like that).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brent H

Well stated Brent - I agree with this approach or attitude to a very large extent, especially the part I've italicized...it's nice if others think so too, but since I'm playing it - creating it or re-creating it - what matters most is what I think and feel...although this in itself goes to the "when is it finished" question because the next question is: just how beautiful can one make it sound given additional efforts?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I don't read it as trying to be "perfect". I see it as always wanting to make it better (not "perfect"). For me that is what keeps the music alive. You don't have to be a famous touring concert pianist to keep trying to improve a piece.

How much better? When does "diminishing returns" kick in? That is, with each new effort when does the difference not make a difference; when is better not hardly recognizable as better?

And when does one just plain get sick and tired of playing the same piece over and over and over... laugh

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 07/12/13 07:25 PM.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

How much better? When does "diminishing returns" kick in? That is, with each new effort when does the difference not make a difference; when is better not hardly recognizable as better?

And when does one just plain get sick and tired of playing the same piece over and over and over... laugh

I think that you absolutely do get sick and tired of playing the same piece over and over. But then, you remind yourself that it is necessary if you wish to be able to play something very well and not just ok. It just plain requires repetition and plenty of it.

Now, you can stop playing something for awhile and then come back to it in 2 or 3 months and then hit it hard again for a week or so. There are any number of ways to get the reps in ... but you do need the reps.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

Now, you can stop playing something for awhile and then come back to it in 2 or 3 months and then hit it hard again for a week or so. There are any number of ways to get the reps in ... but you do need the reps.

I know this works - I've used this "technique" several times with favorite pieces I really loved - work on it until its "finished" - set it aside to rest for awhile - then hammer it again with even more determination and intensity - it's invariably better with the 2nd and 3rd efforts - sort of like a romance with a spirited, haughty and independent woman! smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

That's what I'm trying to say... if it's a beautiful piece (take any Chopin prelude for example)... I never ever get tired of playing it over and over. I think part of the reason is because I'm constantly thinking..."I can make this better." For me that just makes playing even more enjoyable... knowing that "I'm not there yet" and that I can still improve. You ask "When is better not hardly recognizable as better?" and I don't know the answer because I've never reached that point. Maybe, if anyone else was listening, they would not hear the difference, but I do.

I
I
Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
Some seem much more interested in maximizing their abilities. For me, if I have twice as much fun and get half as far, so to speak, I'm willing to make that trade off.

Where is the Like button?

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
People are different...I am a perfectionist and always will be. That is probably the reason why I got so sucked into learning piano... Finally something that I won't get bored at because things become easy or "done".

There are pieces that are not worth perfecting, but many are and I don't think I will ever get permanently tired of them. They may never be perfect enough in my own ears, but I will leave them for a while when I see no improvement and come back later when I have evolved enough to make them even better. I can easily understand why some real pianists feel they have never finished a piece they have been playing for years.

I think I enjoy solving problems more than just playing things.
At least for now performing is not interesting to me. I just want to uncover all the secrets to the perfect sound and technique smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

That's what I'm trying to say... if it's a beautiful piece (take any Chopin prelude for example)... I never ever get tired of playing it over and over. I think part of the reason is because I'm constantly thinking..."I can make this better." For me that just makes playing even more enjoyable... knowing that "I'm not there yet" and that I can still improve. You ask "When is better not hardly recognizable as better?" and I don't know the answer because I've never reached that point. Maybe, if anyone else was listening, they would not hear the difference, but I do.

OK - fair enough - but then if you got to the point with a piece where it was near perfection to most listeners, and they no longer could say it had gotten better; and more, if after a series of attempts you couldn't hear any difference or tell that the latest version was better - would you know or recognize or acknowledge that point?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

OK - fair enough - but then if you got to the point with a piece where it was near perfection to most listeners, and they no longer could say it had gotten better; and more, if after a series of attempts you couldn't hear any difference or tell that the latest version was better - would you know or recognize or acknowledge that point?

To tell you the truth, I don't think I put that much importance on what "listeners" think (unless of course you are talking a master pianist/instructor). I love it when people say "that was beautiful" and, although I certainly appreciate praise and want people to like what I play I still know it was no where near what I really wanted it to sound like. And John, I don't think I think of pieces that I'm working on (and I have been working on some for over 15 years now) as "versions". To me that sounds too cut and dried like "Here is this way and now here is this way". There are so many possibilities and so many nuances that I never think of them as separate versions. I don't think I'm expressing my self very well here but I think in a nutshell, if that's possible, what I'm trying to say is that I feel that a piece of music is kept alive by the musician always trying to make it "better"...not "perfect".( Who is to say what is "perfect"?) The most boring artists and musicians are the one's that have found a formula that works and just keep doing the same thing over and over.

Last edited by Peyton; 07/15/13 04:19 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Peyton - very well done! I've pressed you pretty hard on this, and...

You've taken every question and objection that I raised and blown them aside like so much dust in the wind...

I stand enlightened and somewhat humbled.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your latest "unfinished" gem in the Aug. ABF Recital!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Peyton - very well done! I've pressed you pretty hard on this, and...

You've taken every question and objection that I raised and blown them aside like so much dust in the wind...

I stand enlightened and somewhat humbled.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your latest "unfinished" gem in the Aug. ABF Recital!

You have come up with some very good and interesting points as well. It's a very enlightening discussion with no obvious answer but one I love to ponder.

Another thought I was having about "finishing a piece"... Just as a painter has to at some point say the painting is "done", sign it and frame it, so a composer must do the same. I wonder if Chopin always played his published pieces in a similar fashion while performing? I'm guessing he was always changing here and there but I would love to know.

Last edited by Peyton; 07/15/13 10:24 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Another thought I was having about "finishing a piece"... Just as a painter has to at some point say the painting is "done", sign it and frame it, so a composer must do the same. I wonder if Chopin always played his published pieces in a similar fashion while performing? I'm guessing he was always changing here and there but I would love to know.

I don't know for sure since - contrary to popular public opinion - I wasn't actually around when he was performing (I'm old, but not that old laugh ) I'm guessing that what you're guessing is in fact the case. Any good biography would probably shed much light on this.

From my own reading I've learned that it was a rare exception when any of the major Classical or Romantic composers ever performed any of their own works "as written" - improvisation and variations were the norm...this went to their highly prized reputation for "spontaneous creativity"...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission