2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Ok, I don't really know where to start but here I go.
I'm going to give as much detail as possible so it will be easier for the community to help me.
I've been playing piano for around five years when I was younger and then I took a break from playing. Recently though, I have started seriously getting into piano again.
So now I'm writing lyrics with simple piano accompaniments and I want to be able to edit the piano parts on my Mac using GarageBand (and maybe other programs in the near future...)
So I have been around shops and researching online to see what kind of keyboard I would like to buy. I realized that I would need a keyboard with somewhat weighted keys. It would also have to be compatible with my Mac and multiple software.
I looked around the web and I found one that I sort of like.
The link is here: http://goo.gl/vchjo
Oh, and by the way my budget is $200 or less.
I don't need something perfect, but something in that price range that would best suit my needs. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of options out there, but being an amateur I don't really know where to start. Also is the keyboard the only thing I need or do I need other hardware that I would have to connect it to? So I really am lost right now and am asking the experienced community here to help me pick a keyboard that would best suit my needs.
Feel free to ask me for more information and I will gladly tell.
Thank you in advance.

P.S. - Ok so I've done a little more research and I'm leaning towards the MIDI controller that Vectistim mentioned earlier.
The M-Audio Keystation 88ES 88-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller.
It's simple and Mac compatible with semi weighted keys and it seems to be about right for me.
Do you guys think it will be good for me?
I have another piano that I could use for real practice, I'm probably just going to use this for my computer to record.
Everyone's been so helpful so far so thank you all.

An extra P.S. - Ok, so if I was able to spend around $300 to $400 would that widen up my options? I see that $200 is too little to buy something decent. Thank you all for helping me!

Last edited by lovestar; 07/12/13 04:30 PM.
hey lovestar, your budget of $200 is too low to buy a decent weighted keyboard. your going to need at least $450 to pick up something decent with weighted keys like a Casio CDP120, Yamaha P-35. You may find something for $200, but I doubt its going to be good enough to practice efficiently on. However, if your willing you could try ebay to pick up something used. I recently sold my yamaha p-95 with the stand, pedals, and bench for about half price used. good luck to you!

P.S. That keyboard that you linked, if you read the first negative review on Amazon, the person says beware because it doesn't function well on MACs now because of the OS driver updates, so I don't think that will work with your MAC

Last edited by Smart729; 07/11/13 04:20 PM.

Roland LX-15
Audio Technica ATH-50s Headphones
V
V
Are you happy with a 5 octave machine? M-audio do a similar 88 key machine.
Another option would be the Behringer UMX-610 (I have the predecessor UMX-61)

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Vectistim

I looked at the Behringer UMX-610 before and considered it...
You said you have the predecessor. How does it feel when playing on it? What do you use it for?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Smart729
hey lovestar, your budget of $200 is too low to buy a decent weighted keyboard. your going to need at least $450 to pick up something decent with weighted keys like a Casio CDP120, Yamaha P-35. You may find something for $200, but I doubt its going to be good enough to practice efficiently on. However, if your willing you could try ebay to pick up something used. I recently sold my yamaha p-95 with the stand, pedals, and bench for about half price used. good luck to you!

P.S. That keyboard that you linked, if you read the first negative review on Amazon, the person says beware because it doesn't function well on MACs now because of the OS driver updates, so I don't think that will work with your MAC

$450 is a bit high for me currently. I'm not planning on practicing on the keyboard, I have a real piano for that. I just need something decent that I could use with my Mac. Thank you for the help though and I will definitely look around eBay also.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
If you are piano-oriented but don't need this board to have a piano-like weighted feel, I'd suggest looking at the Yamaha NP-11, or maybe a Casio like the CTK-6000. If you want something that feels more like a piano, that will be tough at $200, even used, but you might get lucky and find a Casio CDP-100/120, PX-100/110, Yamaha P-85 etc.

V
V
Originally Posted by lovestar
Originally Posted by Vectistim

I looked at the Behringer UMX-610 before and considered it...
You said you have the predecessor. How does it feel when playing on it? What do you use it for?

I'm using it to drive organ software, so just plugging it in as a usb device and the organ software recognises it, and I set some of the buttons on it to control stop changes.

I haven't used it running anything touch sensitive - organ is just on or off, but it does the job fine for me. (I bought it second hand off ebay)

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

You may have asked the question in the wrong place.

Most of the people on this forum have a Holy Grail:

. . . An electronic device that feels like an acoustic piano,
. . . and sounds like an acoustic piano.

But your needs are much simpler -- you're not asking to play classical piano literature, and you have an acoustic piano available if you change your mind.

Any 5-octave, touch-sensitive MIDI keyboard ought to work. The Yamaha NP-11 (playable stand-along if you want), or MIDI-keyboard offerings from M-Audio, or my ancient Korg X5D synth would all do the job.

Unlike most weighted keyboards, you can pick one of those up with one hand, and stick it in a corner when you're not using it.

I think you're a perfect customer for something like a Yamaha MOX6, when you come into some more money.

. Charles

PS -- forgive me if I misunderstand the stated requirements.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Budget seems to be real tight,

If ure lucky u may be able to get a used casio px110 off an eBay auction for around 300bucks.

Or maybe try Craigslist?

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you do somehow get your budget up a bit to around 400 /450. You can take a look at the korg sp170 or yamaha p35 as mentioned elsewhere.

I personally have been stuck with unweighted keys untill recently and I can tell u I'm never going back .

U have so much more control with weighted keys.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission