2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2116242 07/11/13 06:05 PM
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
So I mentioned that I got my p105 and it came with a crack on the side.

On of the keys didn't want to press down but eventually it went down and now it works .

Now here is the problem.

Occasionally , the power switch stops working.

As in while its on , if I hold it on to take it off for 3-5 seconds it doesn't work,
After I unplug it, I try to power it on, and it doesn't come on. The only way it does come on is when I transport the keyboard to another room. I initially though this was because of a low voltage problem in my room but then realized it happens in other rooms as well. So I concluded that it may alphabet been the jerks and shocks when transporting to another room that made the switch(really a button ) work again.

So. Other than the obvious fix for this, never turn it of once it comes on! Lol, are there any other solutions I should be exploring ?

I spoke with the guy from yamaha and he never heard of this before. Not that they would be able to help me because my warrenty is void for 1. The crack and 2. I'm outside the us.

And 3. I'm not gonna pay 70us$ per hour to fix the keyboard in addition to parts. That's ridiculous.

I should have shipped it down with the box, and not bubble wrapped in a case but o well. Such is life. U live and u learn.

So yea. Any suggestions guys.

Could it be the automatic shut off feature is malfunctioning or maybe its the button itself.

I plan to never turn it off. Dude at yamaha says it can remain on for ten yers without failure( I'm sure he is paid to say that but who knows it may be true smile. )

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Mta88 #2116245 07/11/13 06:06 PM
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I should also mentioned that when last It refused to turn on, I sort of hit the button a few times , kind of slapped it and the 4th try it came on. Which furthur suggests its a button problem frown

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Mta88 #2116255 07/11/13 06:25 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
That sounds like a bit of a rum do. Who was responsible for the shipping, then? It's always the seller as far as I know. And people with the tiniest little gripe - a barely visible scratch or something - often send the thing back - all paid for by the company, not the customer.

But you've got a legitimate problem, and you say the guarantee is void....I don't understand what's going on in your case.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Mta88 #2116263 07/11/13 06:41 PM
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm not in the us. I'm in trinidad. When u take any item outside of the us it is automatically void. And if there is any physical damage due to shipment of the item it is void.

My uncle packed the keyboard in a keyboard case with bubblewrap to bring it to me. Was costing a lot more to ship straight from the seller, duties,tax, international shipping.

It got damaged on the way it seems because it was fine when he got it .

I should have payed the extra to ship it to trinidad, though it would have been a lot more extra. Wasn't a very smart thing to do.

So if I'm gonna fix it I've gotta fix it myself. Was just curious as to any ideas on what can be wrong with the switch.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Mta88 #2116266 07/11/13 06:44 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
No more than what you've mentioned, I'm afraid. Sounds as if the mechanism's getting stuck - you could try a lubricating spray like WD40 VERY sparingly. Good luck - try not to throw a hammer at it.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Mta88 #2116270 07/11/13 06:48 PM
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm confused. It's a button. The power button. Where exactly do I have to use WD40 sparingly?

The issue with the key sticking never came back so I'm hoping it was just a one time thing.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Mta88 #2116272 07/11/13 06:51 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Mta88
I'm confused. It's a button. The power button. Where exactly do I have to use WD40 sparingly?

The issue with the key sticking never came back so I'm hoping it was just a one time thing.

Man, if you're confused, I'm totally bewildered. Best of luck, anyway.

Mta88 #2116275 07/11/13 06:55 PM
T
T
I have a clavinova clp260 ( a 24 years old digital piano)..i keep the power on all the time and use it as extra midi keyboard..still work without flaws since 1991. So you can definitely keep the power on all the time.
I visit the Caribbean region (have a vacation property in Antigua) so I feel your pain when buying electronics and they do cost you an arm + few legs down there, not to mention the 50% tariff the custom can charge you at their free will . The inconsistency in the voltage may be an issue too, I fried my laptop while staying in Grenada for a summer, largely due to power surges. I would plug into a power protector and if you want to shut it off just unplug it so you don't have to click the faulty button.

Mta88 #2116286 07/11/13 07:17 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Mta88, I have read your post, here:

So I mentioned that I got my p105 and it came with a crack on the side.

On of the keys didn't want to press down but eventually it went down and now it works .

Now here is the problem.

Occasionally , the power switch stops working.

As in while its on , if I hold it on to take it off for 3-5 seconds it doesn't work,
After I unplug it, I try to power it on, and it doesn't come on. The only way it does come on is when I transport the keyboard to another room. I initially though this was because of a low voltage problem in my room but then realized it happens in other rooms as well. So I concluded that it may alphabet been the jerks and shocks when transporting to another room that made the switch(really a button ) work again.

So. Other than the obvious fix for this, never turn it of once it comes on! Lol, are there any other solutions I should be exploring ?

I spoke with the guy from yamaha and he never heard of this before. Not that they would be able to help me because my warrenty is void for 1. The crack and 2. I'm outside the us.

And 3. I'm not gonna pay 70us$ per hour to fix the keyboard in addition to parts. That's ridiculous.

I should have shipped it down with the box, and not bubble wrapped in a case but o well. Such is life. U live and u learn.

So yea. Any suggestions guys.

Could it be the automatic shut off feature is malfunctioning or maybe its the button itself.

I plan to never turn it off. Dude at yamaha says it can remain on for ten yers without failure( I'm sure he is paid to say that but who knows it may be true smile. )

YES, from the time that personal computers were invented - probably long before you were born, I NEVER EVER used the on/off button - and I include my 20 year old Klavinova - I buy a cheap power bar worth 5 or 10 dollars and plug in the computer/digital piano and that is the only way that I turn the equipment on or off. WHY? - because if the switch breaks it would cost you millions of dollars to get it fixed by a repairman - and if it is OLD like me, the parts aren't even made now or available.

Also note that I have a separate power bar for each item, so one for the computer, one for each digital piano. etc. Modems and speakers I would not worry about turning them off because they don't draw much electricity and they only cost 50 or 100 dollars as opposed to several hundreds of dollars.

Mta88 #2116292 07/11/13 07:18 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If Yamaha has a local distributor in Trinidad and Tobago, it may be worth giving them a call to look into the cost of a repair.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
My P95 had something on ocassion where I had to press the whole power button and not just on the side- where exactly are you pressing down on it? That is the only thing I can think of

I like Michael's suggestion about leaving an item on- and depending on the power source for the on/off.This way you do not have to worry about the power button

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
Originally Posted by Possum SP280Krome
I like Michael's suggestion about leaving an item on- and depending on the power source for the on/off.This way you do not have to worry about the power button

I believe this will probably only work for turning the instrument off. Due to electrical safety standards, the majority of instruments these days have single state 'soft' power switches - similar to those used on computers for a number of years. So while it may indeed be possible to turn the instrument off at the power bar, I'm almost certain you'll need to press the instrument's own button/switch when it comes to turning it back on.

Cheers,
James
x

Mta88 #2116328 07/11/13 08:54 PM
B
BaR Offline
B
Please, Please, PLEASE! Do NOT spray WD-40 on anything electronic!!!! The only thing to use on electronics is De-Oxit.

Sounds to me like the switch possibly broke contact where it is soldered to the circuit board, or the circuit board also got damaged when the keyboard was damaged.

Also, you might check to see if the connection from the power supply is solid. It could also be that and not the switch at all.

Unfortunately, the only way you're going to know for sure is to open it up and take a look and see if anything is damaged, etc...

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Kawai James, I have read your post, here:

Originally Posted By: Possum SP280Krome

I believe this will probably only work for turning the instrument off. Due to electrical safety standards, the majority of instruments these days have single state 'soft' power switches - similar to those used on computers for a number of years. So while it may indeed be possible to turn the instrument off at the power bar, I'm almost certain you'll need to press the instrument's own button/switch when it comes to turning it back on.

Cheers,
James
x

Thanks very much, James, for the correction. You see, I have NOT turned off a computer or my 2 digital pianos - one is a 20 year old Clavinova since they were first plugged in and turned on. They are all on individual power bars but never turned off.

Last edited by Michael_99; 07/11/13 09:11 PM.
Mta88 #2116340 07/11/13 09:19 PM
Hello Michael,

Yes, the 20 year old Clavinova will likely have a hardware on/off switch, so leaving the instrument's power switch in the 'on' position and using the switches on the power bar to turn the power on/off will work.

However, for modern appliances such as computers, TVs, digital pianos, etc. this method is most likely no longer effective.

Kind regards,
James
x

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Michael,

Yes, the 20 year old Clavinova will likely have a hardware on/off switch, so leaving the instrument's power switch in the 'on' position and using the switches on the power bar to turn the power on/off will work.

However, for modern appliances such as computers, TVs, digital pianos, etc. this method is most likely no longer effective.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi kawai James. You are correct in that it will not turn the instrument on via the surge protector switch.

I will just leave the instrument on if that's the case.

It sounds as though from the suggestions that the contact for the switch must have been broken or something,

I played with the adapter going into the keyboard and also by the plug and neither seemed to make any difference.

Clavinova on for 20 years sounds like a good idea. I just simply won't take the plug out or turn off the instrument. That sounds like the best plan. If I open it up I risk breaking something else.

It's difficult to understand how things are down here. I don't believe there is a local yamaha dealer but if there is that may be an option to fix the keyboard if necessary.

Lets just put it like this. I payed 3089tt for the keyboard in total.

If I were to go through a local store and special order it , it would have cost me 8500tt

And even then I believe their warrenty offered would be 3 months.
As I've said in other posts. Retail here is sad.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Possum SP280Krome
My P95 had something on ocassion where I had to press the whole power button and not just on the side- where exactly are you pressing down on it? That is the only thing I can think of

Trust me I pressed everywhere wrt to the power button.

I just hope it doesn't get unplugged by mistake or electricity doesn't cut off for the next ten years, lol.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
BaR #2116360 07/11/13 10:22 PM
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by BaR
Please, Please, PLEASE! Do NOT spray WD-40 on anything electronic!!!! The only thing to use on electronics is De-Oxit.

Sounds to me like the switch possibly broke contact where it is soldered to the circuit board, or the circuit board also got damaged when the keyboard was damaged.

Also, you might check to see if the connection from the power supply is solid. It could also be that and not the switch at all.

Unfortunately, the only way you're going to know for sure is to open it up and take a look and see if anything is damaged, etc...

Tell me. If the switch broke contact by where it is soldered onto the circuit board? Would this be a fairly simple fix for someone who deals in electronics and fixes it?

Is there any chance the fault is in the circuitry itself?

It did get a pretty hard lash on the side so it would make sense that the contact broke.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Mta88 #2116362 07/11/13 10:26 PM
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Come to think of it there really isn't any reason to take the instrument off. And I don't plan on moving it again. I shall treat it like a real piano lol. Don't ever move it.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Mta88 #2116417 07/12/13 12:53 AM
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

By and large, solid-state electronics (anything without vacuum tubes) can be left on continuously.

If there is a lit display, the backlights might eventually burn out. Everything else should last for a long, long time.

On my PX-350, I think the rear-panel jacks are connected directly to the circuit board. It's not a good way to build gear -- the jacks should be attached to the case mechanically, and wired to the circuit board. But it's a _cheap_ way to build gear.

If the switch on your DP is mounted directly to the circuit board, and sticks out through the case, the switch-to-board solder joints (or contacts) may have been broken by the same blow that cracked the case. So _eventually_, when something fails and you'll have to turn off the DP, you can disassemble it and fix the 20-year-old fault.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission