2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (36251, Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,092 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2115381 07/09/13 10:04 PM
OP Offline
Let me explain. I the world of guitars, from which I come, it is said that a new spruce topped guitar will take some time for that sound ( via the top) to mature or open up. As it matures the sound is said to become more complex, louder and possibly more balanced as the mid range and bass developers with the loosening of the top in terms of it's vibrating range of motion.

So the question is; for a new piano with a solid spruce soundboard can one expect a similar opening up or maturing process over the first few hundred hours of playing?

Roland Juno DS

2001 Steinway L (554781) Gone, but not forgotten.

[Linked Image]
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Yes

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Yes - But it isn't the hours of playing. It usually takes a couple of years. The action will be "played in" after about 200 hours, however.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Also the hammers will "play in" - for most of the best brands this contributes to the sound getting better for a period of time after the components are new.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I would say that "playing in" a new piano depends on duration of the playing and even the kind of repertoire. A new piano being used for Rachmaninoff practice will probably "play in" much more quickly than a new instrument being lightly played at an elementary level. The process may take between two and five years for a new piano to reach its optimum sound. However, piano sound may begin to lose some power and sonority after 10 years or so as the soundboard begins to lose crown; although a well maintained piano should retain most of its musical charms until the strings and hammers need replacing after some decades of playing.

Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 07/10/13 02:31 AM.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
They can't put the piano on the pounding machine for a bit longer?

As quoted by Marty, 200 hours of playing. But when a person plays 1 hour, they may only hit the middle C 30 times. So lets "work" with those rough figures...
In 200 hours, the middle C (and every other note, on average) will be played 6000 times.

so 6000 key strokes per note should brake in a piano.

So, if the pounding machine could just hit EVERY note simultaneously, once per second, within 2 hours we will have a broken in piano...

Pounding machine should hit EVERY single note, once per second, at intervals of 10 in which the 1st is the softest, and 10th is loudest, and on the 11th second, go back to softest.

heck, just leave that piano on a pounding machine for 8 hours, then set another piano on it and close the factory and let it run over-night...

I think this could help alot with manufacturers that demand their hammers need to harden ergonomically.

Not pointing any fingers...

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I don't think piano soundboards open up with playing. If you control the ambient humidity so the range does not exceed ten percent fluctuations-a well made piano soundboard will last indefinitely. At least a lifetime.

The hammers do get work hardened a bit and if you plan on being able to use your new piano for many years of regular and vigorous music making-you do not want the piano maker to install hammers that are hard enough to sound broken-in upon installation. With use a piano like that turns into a tin can that cannot be softened up in any long term way.

Hammers are worn out when they can no longer be tone-regulated to provide a stable and complete dynamic range. There are many new pianos made today and some going back forty years with hammers that in essence are worn out from day one. If you actually use a piano like that often-the tone becomes ugly quick.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Today, it seems as if manufacturers are trending back towards lighter hammers.

Which wears in faster, light or heavy?

And if one wears in faster than another, does this mean this hammer has to be voiced more often?

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
D
D
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
I don't think piano soundboards open up with playing...

Hmm. I would have thought they did. A guitar's sound definitely opens up as it ages. A piano soundboard is thicker sure, but nonetheless I would have expected some kind of ageing process, that isn't necessarily drying, to take place.

Yamaha C3X SH
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, some claim that a soundboard does open up, some claim it's the sound of the hammers getting harder. It's probably a combination.

Jdeacon, you have quite a collection of instruments, and seem to be quite a rocker. You're not 'the' jdeacon are you? ;-)

YAMAHA Artist
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Jolly,
I have been tone regulating pianos with my LightHammer Tone Regulation Procedure for over thirty years. I am able to make the hammers light enough to eliminate nearly all of the lead counterweights from the front half of the key.

Actions like this are many times more stable and long lasting than the usual type.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by noambenhamou
They can't put the piano on the pounding machine for a bit longer?

As quoted by Marty, 200 hours of playing. But when a person plays 1 hour, they may only hit the middle C 30 times. So lets "work" with those rough figures...
In 200 hours, the middle C (and every other note, on average) will be played 6000 times.

so 6000 key strokes per note should brake in a piano.

So, if the pounding machine could just hit EVERY note simultaneously, once per second, within 2 hours we will have a broken in piano...

Pounding machine should hit EVERY single note, once per second, at intervals of 10 in which the 1st is the softest, and 10th is loudest, and on the 11th second, go back to softest.

heck, just leave that piano on a pounding machine for 8 hours, then set another piano on it and close the factory and let it run over-night...

I think this could help alot with manufacturers that demand their hammers need to harden ergonomically.

Not pointing any fingers...

30 hours every piano, then they get regulated again.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4-xGK2tQyaY[/video]

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Am I right in suggesting that even with good humidity control, the great pressure of the down bearing of the strings may eventually cause the soundboard to lose some crown? However, there are experts who say that some pianos with little or no measurable soundboard crown sound perfectly fine.
I am sure that we would all agree that compared to guitars and many other musical instruments, pianos decline as they age, analogous to the process of aging in people.
The difference is that the piano restorer or re-builder can step in to rejuvenate completely a decrepit instrument.

Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 07/11/13 04:03 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What difference do you hear before and after breaking in, and after final voicing? Much better tone?

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allan W.
What difference do you hear before and after breaking in, and after final voicing? Much better tone?

The hammers do get more percussive after pounding. This also depends on the hammers used. Some of the hammers being used on so many pianos you see in the showrooms will change. Mellow now not later.
The ones on this upright are Ronsens. Lacquer was needed after pounding but only in a few areas.
What it does is settle out the new felts that compress over time. So the final regulation is more stable.
After breaking in the action and voicing we get stability in tone and touch you would not get without the pounding.

I'm in the 29th hour of pounding a Steinway "M" with new Steinway hammers. It has brightened up and the new strings have gone out of tune. The hammer line has dropped so less after touch and the repetition springs have weakened.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The directly downward push of the pounding machine mechanism elimminates the sideway push that our hands create. There are limits to how much the pounding machine can help break-in the action.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
D
D
Originally Posted by joe80
Jdeacon, you have quite a collection of instruments, and seem to be quite a rocker. You're not 'the' jdeacon are you? ;-)

Compulsive collector I'm afraid. And that list is with the signature limit cutting in blush . I am proud to report however, that I did force myself to sell a Vox AC30 recently (although I still have regrets about that) and that Jupiter 6 synth. On the other hand, I seriously tried to find a way not to sell the lovely Baldwin upright when we bought the Yamaha C3X grand. To the family's relief it was sold though.

And that other fella? I think he was a Fender man.

Yamaha C3X SH
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
so I don't have to kneel in the mercurial presence of royalty then ;-)

Yeah I think he played Fender basses and actually a Fender Rhodes piano on some songs.

YAMAHA Artist
D
D
Originally Posted by joe80
so I don't have to kneel in the mercurial presence of royalty then ;-)

Well you don't have to; but you May.

Yamaha C3X SH
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
You'll have to 'Taylor' your jokes to be a little better....

YAMAHA Artist

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission