2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bett, Auraltuner, Alexander Acosta, calenadariel, accordeur, 1957, Burkey, anotherscott, 14 invisible), 366 guests, and 403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Yikes - The Tuner Is Coming!
Jean Claude #2114907 07/08/13 10:15 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jean Claude
I have a few extra rules, I would like to stress that they relate only to one specific tuner who I used only once.

1. If you have daughters, make sure that you send them out to the cinema for the afternoon or failing that, lock them in a bedroom.

2. Check the room beforehand and be sure to remove any small, valuable items, especially those which might get accidentally into his tool-roll.

3. Lock or better empty your drinks cabinet.

4. When he has finished DO NOT under any circumstances whatever allow him to play
his version of Für Elise to demonstrate the brilliance of his tuning as it will ruin for ever your appreciation of Beethoven.

Hmmm... sounds like my tuner from childhood moved to France! wink

Just kidding... my childhood tuner, Gordon Blomgren, was very good to me. He always took time to alk to me, listen to a piece I was working on, or to show me something cool about my family's piano. In fact, he and Ralph Onesti were two people that fanned the spark of interest in pianos in me.

Gordon passed away a short time after he met my daughter for the first time. I miss him.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila., Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
The Science Channel documents our piano restoration
Minnesota Marty #2114933 07/08/13 11:41 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
E
The sonic disruption most troublesome is a ceiling fan. The rotation creates a sort of beat because of the doppler shifting of the piano tones off of the moving blade surfaces. This destroy ones ability to hear the correct beats from the piano. The same is true of someone walking back and forth in the general vicinity of the piano. Absolute silence is not required as most piano are loud when being tuned. Singing along to the notes being tuned is also a bad habit.

For a grand piano there must be enough room to slide the action out of the cavity without hitting furniture. Usually about three feet in front of the keyboard is needed-more on a concert grand. The treble end of the piano should have room for the tuner to stand at the side of the piano for tuning the highest notes-if your technician tunes left handed the bass side need this room.

I enjoy my clients-they are some of the most interesting people I have ever met. I have clients that I have been servicing their piano for nearly forty years. You do get to know each other!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Jean Claude #2115015 07/09/13 04:30 AM
S
S
I have a few extra rules, I would like to stress that they relate only to one specific tuner who I used only once.

1. If you have daughters, make sure that you send them out to the cinema for the afternoon or failing that, lock them in a bedroom.

2. Check the room beforehand and be sure to remove any small, valuable items, especially those which might get accidentally into his tool-roll.

3. Lock or better empty your drinks cabinet.

4. When he has finished DO NOT under any circumstances whatever allow him to play
his version of Für Elise to demonstrate the brilliance of his tuning as it will ruin for ever your appreciation of Beethoven.

what about sons?

Kawai CA65
Minnesota Marty #2115024 07/09/13 05:20 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
wow, ed. I new you were smart but not a child prodigy!

Minnesota Marty #2115028 07/09/13 05:27 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Personally I get a little frustrated when a customer appears to be checking the tuning because:

1. I spent a lot of time and effort getting the tuning right and I am sure I did not leave anything that a layperson would be able to hear. It's my job to leave it as well tuned as that piano can be.

2. very very few people, professionals included, know what a good tuning is or how to really check it

It turns out to be just a show and a stab in the dark (I think this octave is a little out, could you fix it...)

If you have to check each note to make sure your tuner did the unisons correctly, get a new tuner!

shinegamix #2115033 07/09/13 05:55 AM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by shinegamix

what about sons?

I have no information about this. Probably best to lock them up too, just to be on the safe side.

BoseEric #2115115 07/09/13 11:21 AM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BoseEric
Personally I get a little frustrated when a customer appears to be checking the tuning because:

1. I spent a lot of time and effort getting the tuning right and I am sure I did not leave anything that a layperson would be able to hear. It's my job to leave it as well tuned as that piano can be.

2. very very few people, professionals included, know what a good tuning is or how to really check it

It turns out to be just a show and a stab in the dark (I think this octave is a little out, could you fix it...)

If you have to check each note to make sure your tuner did the unisons correctly, get a new tuner!

Hmmmm ... Maybe it is not such a good idea to treat a tuner with respect, courtesy, and manners since tuners don't seem to feel the need to return the consideration.

I would like to add that if you receive pompous attitude from your tuner, find another tuner.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Minnesota Marty #2115118 07/09/13 11:34 AM
E
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
E
If you are a professional musician-I will also add-don't start telling them about all the new business you can send them-making it almost obvious you seek a discount. Especially when you mention how wealthy some of the clients you can refer are and that you should "really stick it to them" when you service their piano. Especially when the technician knows you have rotated through several of the local and imported techs over the years. It also really doesn't help when you bad mouth the techs who won't play ball with you. I know it is tough to make a living in music-I am trying to do the same!

Piano service is a business and a profession-so trust and respect are at the center of the relationship. The prices for piano services have not moved much in the last decade, compared to inflation. There is not much room for technicians paying commissions to pianists!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Minnesota Marty #2115133 07/09/13 12:28 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So I guess this makes me curious...I am sure my high profile Steinway tech charges other people more than he charges me based on my piano and my own social status if you want to call it something. Is that how it works? smile

*Young Chang Y185 6'-1"

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
Minnesota Marty #2115141 07/09/13 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Piano*Dad,

Would it be considered rude to offer the red wine in a sippy cup? Would lobster be considered passé for our north woods tuner? How 'bout Châteauneuf-du-Pape flavored with maple syrup?

David, any thoughts?

Hey, the wine is for for ME while playing, not for the tuner! Can't imagine what a boozing tuner might do.

Hmmm. That might be an interesting experiment. See what a full glass of wine does to the tuning ... unless s(he) is using one of those digital thingies.

Piano*Dad #2115143 07/09/13 01:01 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Hmmm. That might be an interesting experiment. See what a full glass of wine does to the tuning ... unless s(he) is using one of those digital thingies.

Interesting idea. I just poured a glass of Merlot into the piano. I can't say that I hear much improvement yet.

Piano*Dad #2115155 07/09/13 01:29 PM

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member

I've had the delightless experience of performing on a piano which was tuned using the VSOP IV temperament. Not at all pretty!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Minnesota Marty #2115188 07/09/13 02:27 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

I've had the delightless experience of performing on a piano which was tuned using the VSOP IV temperament. Not at all pretty!

You should have shelled out a bit more and gone for one of the XO tunings, much mellower.

Minnesota Marty #2115191 07/09/13 02:34 PM
Canadian West Coast:

Many tuners tell more and more frequently that due to a changing customer base many of them being treated like servants.

Questions of "how much do you charge" to be followed by "how long does it take"...

Some businesses busy selling crated pianos directly from warehouses to satisfy the mis-conception about a "new" piano held by much of their customer base, often discourage any type of extensive service other than most basic.

After all and as they say "only bad pianos need working on"

Yes, still some very appreciative customers especially in top quality piano group. But not always...

Marty's points are excellent and wonderful to discuss under normal circumstances.

Of course when things were still a bit more normal.

P.S. West Coast is a beautiful place and otherwise sheer heaven to live in..

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 07/09/13 02:36 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Minnesota Marty #2115207 07/09/13 03:28 PM
A
A
Many years ago the title of the thread, "Yikes, the tuner is coming," had a particular resonance for me. My teacher at the time recommended a tuner, but warned me I'd have to up with his political rants.

The guy was an excellent tuner. He was also a chain smoker and a proud, proselytizing member of the John Birch Society. He would tune for about ten minutes, then take a cigarette break during which he would give a detailed account of how the international communist conspiracy was behind whatever was in the news that day. It did no good to go to another part of the house; he'd follow me there to bend my ear. And leaving the house wasn't an option since I had to watch out for the ashes he dropped on the carpet. (This was in the 70s and early 80s, before it was socially acceptable to tell a smoker to go outside.) His tunings seemed to take hours.

Thank goodness I finally got a recommendation for someone else!

Anne'sson
El Paso, TX
Minnesota Marty #2115209 07/09/13 03:30 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
1. If your house already smells of cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke, please don't make it any worse for the technician by smoking while he/she is there working on your piano.

2. Stop smoking, and have the house professionally cleaned at least 1 year before the technician arrives. smile

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
Minnesota Marty #2115300 07/09/13 07:12 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Remove the clock with the chimes that resonate.

Even if he says he likes cats, jail them in another room. Especially the one that is prone to jumping on people's shoulders.

Be home and awake so you can answer the door at the appointed time.

Learner
Minnesota Marty #2117027 07/13/13 02:22 PM
B
BGJ Offline
B
This thread reminded me I need to call my tech for 24 years again for a tuning. So far he as not returned my call, maybe he's on vacation. I hope he hasn't decided to retire, but he has been working on pianos for 45 years!

Minnesota Marty #2117040 07/13/13 02:54 PM
Well, if you haven't called him for 24 years, who knows what might have happened to him … grin

Minnesota Marty #2118016 07/15/13 12:59 PM
N
N
Someone forgot to add when arriving to tune a piano sitting on a stage to make sure the venue tests all the stage lighting while the tuner is sitting there. Bringing the stage temp up to 400 degrees is paramount when tuning a piano. For added special effects you can also turn on the wind and thunder machine.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,565
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission