2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
antony Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Heard the Goldberg Variations: Suite 1 (Aria, Vars. 1-7) on the radio recently with
Julian Rachlin, violin
Nobuko Imai, viola
Mischa Maisky, cello

I had no idea this had been done. A true testament to the depth and beauty of Bach's music and musicality. A solo piano has an intimacy that the trio might not, but to have an individual instrument devoted to a single voice allows each line to come even more alive. I still prefer the Aria for piano but the faster variations were exhilarating to hear because the voices sounded like they were unleashed.

I wouldn't say it's better than for solo piano but what I heard was certainly as good

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Bach's Goldberg has also been arranged for string orchestra (by Dmitry Sitkovetsky), as well as harp, accordion, organ, two pianos (by Reger), saxophone quartet, wind quintet and probably other combinations I haven't heard of. All these recordings are commercially available.

It's only a matter of time before we get a guitar (or quartet of guitars) or marimba/percussion version. Or a rock n' roll version grin.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Jacque's Loussier's jazz trio also has a LEGIT recording of the Goldberg's. Totally cool. I played a few of them a few years ago but I think the jazz trio added this really amazing warmth that I wasn't able to achieve!! Too cool.

Currently working on:
Prelude and Fugue in A Major WTC Bk.1-Bach
Sonata Op.109 in E Major- Beethoven
Spanish Rhapsody-Liszt
Arc en Ciel Etude- Ligeti
Piano Concerto No. 2-Rachmaninov
P
P
Bennevis -> Guitar (classical guitar) version here (Aria&Var1, the whole studio recording of his transcription used to be on YT, here it is a extract of a concert uploaded by the transcriber/performer himself):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS9wHiYlfd0

Not sure if I like it (as a classical guitarist, I think the tone is a bit too bright) but it does exist and it works q:

Last edited by Praeludium; 07/09/13 01:44 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
got the cd with Rachlin/Imai/Maisky, as a regular player of the Goldbergvariations I have my opinions about others, this recording though made me shut up for all the 80-plus minutes it took to listen to: stunning, all those sustained lines we poor pianists/harpsichordists must struggle to keep audible, here it's done and what a briljant transcription, Bach would have been very content!

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
A
antony Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Exactly! Having the cello be able to sustain and really sing those voices Absolutely stunning. I can't wait to hear the whole thing!

B
B
Originally Posted by Praeludium
Bennevis -> Guitar (classical guitar) version here (Aria&Var1, the whole studio recording of his transcription used to be on YT, here it is a extract of a concert uploaded by the transcriber/performer himself):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS9wHiYlfd0

Not sure if I like it (as a classical guitarist, I think the tone is a bit too bright) but it does exist and it works q:

Thanks for that - I've not heard of this guitarist before, but he can certainly play.

Amazing that the Goldberg can (almost) work on a solo guitar, albeit with many up/down octave transpositions. Whereas on the harp, it's possible to play the score more or less as it's written.

If music be the food of love, play on!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission