2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
ZBGM0 Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by Carbonblob
ZBGMO,

I simply wouldn't buy any piano with a water stain, period.

You think those are water stains? Wood under the keytops should be very bright on Kawai, but here you can see dark stains on bright wood – same pattern everywhere (it looks like it is dirty).

Yes, there are new models (little longer) for both Kawai (RX to GX) and Shigeru.

C
C
Z,

Good question, I'll ask and see what the stain could be. I was too quick to assume it was water but perhaps it's glue from key lamination/compression or something along those lines. When fresh wood gets wet (for any reason) the wood will darken, provided it's pourous enough. The only other thing I can think of would be if the keys were cut from a continous piece of wood. That would show consistant grain pattern but I just don't think they would use wood with that much variation for keys!

I'm sure a rebuiler or tech has the answer for you. All I know is the word "stains" got my attention, as did "wear patterns". I'm guessing your instincts are telling you to back off. The closer you look, the more faults you're finding. I'm not saying these are red flags (that's why we always have tech inspections) but I'm hearing some disatisfaction, or at the very least, caution concerning whether the SK3 is for you......blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
ZBGM0,

This is not a fair comparison, SK series are Kawai's high end pianos and hand made they are comparable with Boesendorfer, Steinway (Hamburg) and Fazioli.
Buying a Piano does not have any formula it is like a marriage you have to find the one which satisfies your ears and fingertips. close your eyes don't look at the brand and model just touch it and play your heart will never make a mistake.

Good luck

Human Being & Planet Earth
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Shahram
ZBGM0,
SK series are Kawai's high end pianos and hand made they are comparable with Boesendorfer, Steinway (Hamburg) and Fazioli.

I think this is highly debatable. In my tests I've found the Shigerus to be nice, but not in the league of the 3 you mentioned. Quite a distance behind, in fact.

Z
ZBGM0 Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by ando
ZBGM0,
SK series are Kawai's high end pianos and hand made they are comparable with Boesendorfer, Steinway (Hamburg) and Fazioli.

I think this is highly debatable. In my tests I've found the Shigerus to be nice, but not in the league of the 3 you mentioned. Quite a distance behind, in fact.

Personal preference. I know people who prefer Shigeru over Bösendorfer.

Anyway I believe Shigeru can easily be one of the best pianos in the world if you consider RELATON between price and quality. Steinway may sound 5-10 % better (maybe much less) but it will cost 200 % more. Same thing with Fazioli and Bösendorfer or any other group 1 piano.

L
LFL Offline
L
ZBGM0,

And what tests are those?
George Kolasis, for one, disagrees with you:
http://www.georgekolasis.com/best-pianos.html

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
While we all have our personal preferences, very few of us would have the depth and breadth of experience in working with pianos of George Kolasis. His treatise on this comparison of pianos is balanced and convincing. He has worked with many pianists at the highest level. I believe that he knows what he is talking about when he considers Shigeru Kawai pianos to be among the top four piano makes in the world.

Robert.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by LFL
ZBGM0,

And what tests are those?
George Kolasis, for one, disagrees with you:
http://www.georgekolasis.com/best-pianos.html

I just said it's debatable. I don't need you to agree with me. I personally have them considerably lower down the foodchain and they are priced accordingly. I base this on my feelings about tone, treble sustain and clarity of voices in dense chordal playing. I think the action is second to none, however. But as I said, just my opinion. They very nice pianos and good bang for the buck, but I can see why somebody might pay a lot more to get a Fazioli or Boesendorfer etc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission