2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm a bit limited in what I can get.

I would like a good sound system for Galaxy vintage D and others like it for my soon to arrive p105.

was originally planning on getting a KRK rokit 5 pair with KRK sub, But I won't be able to ship the KRK sub without incurring ALOT of cash in the process.

Some Studio monitors are available locally albeit a bit pricey

Can I go ahead and get the KRK rokit 5 and an alternative sub?

Here are the list of studio monitors & subs that are available locally.

SUBWOOFERS:
M Audio BX10S
Gemini GVX- SUB15p
Topp Pro Sub
Behringer truth B2092A

Studio monitors available locally include:
Behringer Truth B2031a 8 inch studio monitors
Samson Sam3A
Alesis M1 Active MKII

The Main concern is to achieve a full frequency response across the spectrum so I can hear every nuance and detail in the samples and for the low end to not drown out everything else.

The M audio sub seems decent but I don't know if it will be suitable for piano :S.

There is also a roland CM110 available.

IS the roland my best bet or I can bank on one of those subs to be as good as a KRK and go ahead and bring in the KRK rokit 5 speakers.

I'm very new at this so I can use all the help I can get.

Roland is expensive but if it will be me more detail I can go that route.

Thanks in advance guys.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I will be able to ship smaller speakers such as the Rokit 5s , maybe the rokit 6.

the rokit 8 might be a bit difficult to fit into a suitcase! frown

Any advice on the above speakers will be greatly appreciated.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I may be able to fit a pair of Rokit 8s in a suitcase and have someone bring it for me. and with proper padding it might be fine..

But I'm thinking the 10 Inch sub will be way to big to attempt to bring down.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I can give a little advice; the Mackie MR5MK2 sound incredible.*
No need for sub woofer, very bass heavy if needed, yet extremely clean. However, I suggest a mixer, it will bring the best sound out of them. I highly recommend - especially under $300US.

*NOTE: speakers are extremely personal. You have to demo as many as possible to see what sounds right TO YOU. That's all that matters regardless of brand and price. Every ear is different.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 07/06/13 09:33 PM.
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Interesting I will definitely consider these. Thanks!

I'm not in a position to be picky right now

If I can get a pair of small speakers for a decent price that will sound good with galaxy vintage D I would be content.

Would the Mackie be as good as a pair of Rokit 5?

In other words is the sub really needed for piano? Or I can go ahead and ship the Rokit 5 and get the sub later for the added bass.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've read that smaller speakers tend to be more accurate, and it would be best to get a pair of small speaker with a sub rather than a pair of 8inch speakers alone .

That's the main reason why I may go with your suggestion or rokit 5s

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Using a sub is a topic that has been debated on the forum for some time. Some like a sub - others not.

I believe the Mackie MR5MK2 is equivalent to the Rokit 5 for what you are trying to achieve - maybe better based on spec. Again, it's personal taste to how it sounds.

IMO, I would order whatever speaker/monitor you like without sub for now. The Rokit 5 will be very accurate and robust. As you say, you can always add sub later if you think you need that extra low end.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 07/06/13 09:54 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
That's very interesting, Marko. From Mta88's list, I've seen very good reports on the Behringer Truth series (there are different types, though - ribbon tweeters on some, etc etc).

But these Mackie MR5mk2 look great (yeah, I know: LOOK!)

I had been resigned to saving up for a set of Yamaha HS7, but these could fit the bill.....you REALLY don't need extra bass? Because I really don't want to have to deal with a sub woofer, much.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

I did some testing on my own DP (a Casio PX-350), and found that what other people reported was accurate:

. . . there's very little power at the _fundamental_ frequency
. . . of low-bass notes on the piano.

So you don't need loudspeaker response down to 27 Hz -- you need it down to 50 - 75 Hz.

I suspect the Behringer 2031A (almost 9" woofers), _without_ a subwoofer, would work fine for piano. They're quoted as flat down to around 60 Hz.

If you wanted to play organ music in that lowest octave, or use the piano as a keyboard bass in a club, a subwoofer might be worthwhile.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
This is indeed interesting. I may just get the rokit 5s then and add a sub later on.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
But those Mackies look good. I wonder what the frequency response is?

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
The rokit 5s are 53hz to 20khz

Rokit 6 is 49hz to 20khz.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Mackie seems to be 60hz to 20khz frequency response

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I wouldn't put too much importance of manufacturers' quoted frequency responses. It's not that they would be unreliable exactly. It's just that I don't think they mean much. For example, what range of output in decibels are we talking about in said specification?

And even then, it's much more the individual behaviour of the speaker throughout the range that is much more important: handling of transients, colouration, and also, yes, smoothness of response.

Same goes for microphones.

This is why Marko said above: speakers are extremely personal. You have to demo as many as possible to see what sounds right TO YOU. That's all that matters regardless of brand and price. Every ear is different.

Eventually I'll get monitors such as Yamaha HS7, Behringer Truth or the above mentioned Mackies. But that's for mixing, mostly. If I just wanted a better sound for piano, I'd probably get hi-fi speakers. Dunno which ones though. Solo piano is a very difficult instrument to get sounding authentic, I think....you certainly don't want full frequency bass, that's for sure. Pianos just do not give out such a sound. The bass notes are more implied (by overtones) than dominant.

Or to put it another way, modern hi-fi and surround sound systems speakers which are made to show off the basses and sound effects sub-100Hz are unlikely to deliver a realistic piano sound, unless they are top end items, capable of handling faithfully almost any material.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hmm... Interesting indeed.

I understand that Speakers are very personal.

It's unfortunate that the only one I would be able to try out is the Behringers... provided that the store allows me to do so.
The store is small and cramped.

More than likely, as usual, I would have to purchase the KRKs or Mackies blindly.

Between these two, which are more popular?

Should I be considering the Yamaha HS50m as well for piano?

I've said it before Ive no choice to rely on others opinons due to where I live. I've come to accept this fact.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
D
D
Originally Posted by Mta88
... Should I be considering the Yamaha HS50m as well for piano?

I have the Yamahas and I like them. And I remember liking them before I added the corresponding bass unit. But I got them primarily for a neutral auditioning of mixes; I guess you might want a bit of colour in speakers primarily for piano.

Yamaha C3X SH
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mta88
Between these two, which are more popular?

Both are popular and well liked. I understand you can not easily demo speakers. With that in mind, read reviews below. Might help you decide based on what others have to say.

KRK Rokit 5:
Amazon reviews http://www.amazon.com/KRK-RP5G2-Powered-Monitor-Speaker/dp/B001A6G6CY
Sweetwater reviews http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Rokit5G2
Musicians Friend reviews http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...generation-2-powered-studio-monitor-each

Mackie MR5MK2:
Amazon reviews http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-MR5mk2...85&sr=8-1&keywords=Mackie+MR5MK2
Sweetwater reviews http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR5mk2
Mucicians Friend reviews http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mackie-mr5mk2-2-way-reference-monitor

M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks Marko..

Honestly I don't too care for colouring of the sound..

My intent is to keep the sample sounds as pure as possible.

colouring is a bit unnecessary if the quality of the samples are good not so?

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm sure in the coming years ,, When Ivory 3 and Galaxy 3 comes out, it will be even better. smile

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm unfamiliar with XLR cables.

do I have to use this to hook up my integrated soundcard to the speakers in addition to the XLR chords?

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Stereo-3...mp;sr=1-1&keywords=3.5mm+to++two+XLR

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission