2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Norbert
management to get over their sentimentality,

From an American point of view, this perhaps makes sense.
There are exceptions but not many [left]

From a European view, this is [almost] unthinkable.

When talking to people like Ulrich Sauter, Udo Steingraeber, the Bluethners and even relative newcomers like Paolo Fazioli and Dr.Laul, the "sentimentality" of following their own genius or a long national tradition including that of their own forefathers' is a real one.

It is exactly what motivates them from day to day to do honor and live up to the task. It's something that goes without saying.

It gives their products a certain "authenticity" that is still being appreciated by many in today's market.

It's not just another "asset" that's up for sale - never will.

I'm not an economist but at least to me this makes for a promising, reliable and more "predictable" future overall.

Having grown up in post-war Germany whose economy was 90% shattered, I've seen it work with literally 10,000's of small family owned firms specializing in smaller production, high quality type products.

So, I may be somewhat prejudiced.

Let's see how this one will play out.

Norbert

Bravo !

No you are not prejudiced. All you say is very correct.

This is something today's modern New Yorkers will never appreciate. Money, money, money... That is what they worship.

Last edited by Hakki; 07/06/13 12:38 PM.
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Hey Norbert, how come you left the Burgetts off your list? Surely they rank up there with Dr. Laul.

I guess I do not need really to ask why you omitted them, having reviewed the list of brands you sell. . . . You probably have not had the chance to talk with them. They are incredible, and devoted to their brand and to the goal of keeping North American piano manufacturing alive.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with Steinway. But that was always true. Mason and Hamlin might end up the only North American-made piano. I would not like to see that happen, I have to say--Steinway could become great again. And our continent needs to keep up its glorious piano traditions. I do think the Burgetts are doing a great job, but it would be nice to keep Steinway here too.

Last edited by Rank Piano Amateur; 07/06/13 12:56 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
What about Walter Pianos?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Norbert
management to get over their sentimentality,

From an American point of view, this perhaps makes sense.
There are exceptions but not many [left]

From a European view, this is [almost] unthinkable.

When talking to people like Ulrich Sauter, Udo Steingraeber, the Bluethners and even relative newcomers like Paolo Fazioli and Dr.Laul, the "sentimentality" of following their own genius or a long national tradition including that of their own forefathers' is a real one.

It is exactly what motivates them from day to day to do honor and live up to the task. It's something that goes without saying.

It gives their products a certain "authenticity" that is still being appreciated by many in today's market.

It's not just another "asset" that's up for sale - never will.

I'm not an economist but at least to me this makes for a promising, reliable and more "predictable" future overall.

Having grown up in post-war Germany whose economy was 90% shattered, I've seen it work with literally 10,000's of small family owned firms specializing in smaller production, high quality type products.

So, I may be somewhat prejudiced.

Let's see how this one will play out.

Norbert

I agree. The difference in point-of-view between the European piano industry owners and that of Steinway couldn't be more different.

Mason & Hamlin and Walters are philosophically closer to the Europeans that to Steinway.

[I am not a dealer for, nor a consultant to any of the companies mentioned in this thread.]

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm going to do a "Karnack" the magnificent prediction. All pre buyout Steinway piano prices
will skyrocket(and used ones too!) ... smile

Last edited by Bob Newbie; 07/06/13 02:55 PM.
S
SBP Offline
S
So, in the midst of all this doom and gloom speculation, are there any official statements on what's going to happen?

2012 Kawai K3
M
M
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur
Mason and Hamlin might end up the only North American-made piano.

...cough, cough... WALTER!!!!!... cough, cough.....

Charles R. Walter 1520 QA Mahogany #531739 w/ High Polish, Renner and Quiet Pedal

This is something today's modern New Yorkers will never appreciate. Money, money, money... That is what they worship.

Don't know about New Yorkers.

But those money worshipppers will have a harder time to do so when there's none left.

But then I can't really tell what people do in this economy..

Norbert frown

S
SBP Offline
S
Originally Posted by mahermusic

cough*cough*Ravencroft*cough*cough

Somehow, with all this talk about money grubbing banksters, I feel the need to apologize for the fact that my dad works for a certain big financial company whistle

Last edited by SBP; 07/06/13 08:33 PM.

2012 Kawai K3

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SBP

Somehow, with all this talk about money grubbing banksters, I feel the need to apologize for the fact that my dad works for a certain big financial company whistle

So he's a criminal?

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Originally Posted by SBP

True - but (per Larry Fine) "Currently, only four to six [Ravenscroft] pianos are produced yearly, with pricing beginning at $230,000 for a model 220, and up to $550,000 for a model 275 with "all the extras," including titanium string terminations, exotic veneers, intarsia, artwork, and inlays of precious stones." Probably wonderful instruments, but hardly an option for the vast majority of piano buyers......

and what about Astin-Weight?? *cough, cough* grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Sorry for my omissions. This thread is a terrific reminder that there are great American made pianos out there!

Online Content

Sorry for my omissions. This thread is a terrific reminder that there are great American made pianos out there!

But just not enough of them !! smokin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Originally Posted by Radio.Octave
Unfortunately, there are only so many places (colleges, concert halls) that can afford Steinway's exorbitant prices. In today's economy, how many people can really afford near six-figure pianos? Steinways are great, but there are many other manufacturers that provide much more "bang for your buck." Those are the companies that will survive, instead of being sold off to the highest bidder. RIP, Steinway & Sons.

Steinway's sales in to institutions is strong, even in this challenging economy. Also, you base your conclusion on sales of Steinway & Sons pianos, leaving out Boston, Essex, and band instruments - all significant contributors to Steinway's income stream.

You ask "...how many people can really afford near six-figure pianos?" Steinway makes only about 4000 pianos per year. There is a huge pool of potential buyers.

I don't know much about the other brands, but Bostons are overpriced for what they are. IMO, so are Steinways (not everyone will agree). Many people/institutions buy Steinway based on the name alone. Now that Steinway "sold out" I'd be surprised if the quality stays the same. The Steinway name won't carry as much heft as it used to. In the age of digital pianos, the acoustic piano makers that survive will be the ones who can make a quality piano at an affordable price.

Last edited by Radio.Octave; 07/06/13 11:01 PM.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by carey

But just not enough of them !! smokin

There may be another one coming soon.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by carey
But just not enough of them !

There may be another one coming soon.

Steve - That's just too much of a teaser to not beg for some inside info! You gotta tell us more or face the throngs of crazed villagers rampaging with torches.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately, there are only so many places (colleges, concert halls) that can afford Steinway's exorbitant prices. In today's economy, how many people can really afford near six-figure pianos? Steinways are great, but there are many other manufacturers that provide much more "bang for your buck." Those are the companies that will survive, instead of being sold off to the highest bidder. RIP, Steinway & Sons.

Steinway's sales in to institutions is strong, even in this challenging economy. Also, you base your conclusion on sales of Steinway & Sons pianos, leaving out Boston, Essex, and band instruments - all significant contributors to Steinway's income stream.

You ask "...how many people can really afford near six-figure pianos?" Steinway makes only about 4000 pianos per year. There is a huge pool of potential buyers.

I don't know much about the other brands, but Bostons are overpriced for what they are. IMO, so are Steinways (not everyone will agree). Many people/institutions buy Steinway based on the name alone. Now that Steinway "sold out" I'd be surprised if the quality stays the same. The Steinway name won't carry as much heft as it used to. In the age of digital pianos, the acoustic piano makers that survive will be the ones who can make a quality piano at an affordable price.

Steinway didn't just suddenly "sell out." It's been a public company for years, and when a company is public, it must respond to the wishes of its many shareholders.

As for the suggestion that the only makers to survive will be those that make "a quality piano at an affordable price," a couple of points:

If by "survive," you mean, "sell many thousands of pianos," we're already there. The largest volume auto sellers are going to be Toyota, Hyundai,and Tata Motors, and the largest volume piano sellers are going to be Yamaha, Kawai, and one or more of the Chinese makers. Corollas are great if you want a Corolla or if that's the most expensive car you can afford.

In the meantime, I hear that a number of the top tier makers are producing all the pianos they can comfortably produce. They're going to survive precisely because enough buyers to keep them productively busy know the difference between a Hyundai and a Ferrari and would prefer a Ferrari, thank you very much.

Whether Steinway continues to occupy the market niche it now occupies will be entirely up to Steinway's new owners. My own guess is that they're looking to burnish and monetize an already valuable prestige brand name, and you can't meet that goal if product performance slips.

No one will buy a Ferrari (at a customary Ferrari price) that performs like a Hyundai. But enough are willing to buy cars that perform at or above Ferrari's current performance standards.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
J
J
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

No one will buy a Ferrari (at a customary Ferrari price) that performs like a Hyundai. But enough are willing to buy cars that perform at or above Ferrari's current performance standards.

Moving back to pianos - Steinway specifically, I agree, with one important qualifier - How many buyers can determine if the "Ferrari" they are looking to purchase performs like a "Hyundai?"

Jonathan

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jonathan Alford

Moving back to pianos - Steinway specifically, I agree, with one important qualifier - How many buyers can determine if the "Ferrari" they are looking to purchase performs like a "Hyundai?"

Jonathan

Some, though surely not all. Same is true for car buyers.

[Linked Image]

Here comes a dove;

-- Laura Nyro
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W

Whether Steinway continues to occupy the market niche it now occupies will be entirely up to Steinway's new owners. My own guess is that they're looking to burnish and monetize an already valuable prestige brand name, and you can't meet that goal if product performance slips.

+1

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission