2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Hakki
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Originally Posted by ClsscLib

You seem somewhat pessimistic about the Kohlberg acquisition.

Past experience with private equity investment groups.

This is NOT just a money making business. In fact it probably is not a wise business at this era.

How many of the Kohlberg people are in love with the sound of a Steinway piano? How important for them is the sound of a Steinway piano? Do they value the tradition?

Yes, in part this has to have a business aspect. But that must not be the main initiative. The love for making a high quality unique instrument should be the main objective.

I think the keyword there is "should". Investment firms make money. And they often do so at the expense of the brand/company they buy. They will gut it, move it, cease operations, do whatever they have to do in order to make money.

There is a reason why Steinway is so popular than any other concert piano. [...]

Marketing.. especially in the US market. wink

Originally Posted by kapelli
They would be immensly stupid, to just kill the sound and brand.

Why? If they decide they can make the most money by gutting it, restructuring it, and/or repackaging the brand to sell it in foreign markets (like China), why would they care about anything else? Investment firms buy businesses in order to increase the value of the investment firm.. NOT necessarily the businesses they're buying.

The other thing is, that without earning no company will survive.

True, but you're confusing the Steinway Co. with the investment firm buying them. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Derulux

I think the keyword there is "should". Investment firms make money. And they often do so at the expense of the brand/company they buy. They will gut it, move it, cease operations, do whatever they have to do in order to make money.

Sadly, Derulux is correct. The piano's ability to "be dark and bright at the same time" is not at the top of Kohlberg's list of priorities. It boils down to: (Unit Price X Volume) - Costs. The fact that Steinways are the preferred choice of pianists throughout the world means nothing. If they could make more money producing 1000 pianos/year at a high price vs. 100,000 at a lower price, have no fear, they'd do it.

Boesendorfer and Yamaha may be licking their chops.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by stores
I'm guessing that there will be a slight surge in sales as many will want to secure an instrument before production gets shipped off to China with Boston and Essex.

Now then, if each of you were to donate a small sum to the Stores Foundation, perhaps I can afford that 90k beauty that's been sitting in the local gallery window for the longest time.

And then I'll steal it!

I keeeeeeeel you!!!

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

I keeeeeeeel you!!!

Anyone as pretty as pogo deserves the best.

Oh well, a Steinway has been on my Christmas list since I was a young lad, and when I broached the subject with my mum, let us just say it didn't go over very well.

Some people -mothers in particular- do not have a sense of humour. It was a pain in the arse just getting her to buy me the Tovey edition of the Beethoven sonatas. One would think I was asking for a rare early edition of Omar Khayyám's writings.

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Oh well, a Steinway has been on my Christmas list since I was a young lad, and when I broached the subject with my mum, let us just say it didn't go over very well.
Be patient. I waited 45 years for mine and had to take out a second mortgage to do it. It was, of course, worth the wait and the huge monthly payment.

Best regards,

Deborah
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Marketing savvy also has something to do with it. And not all Steinway pianos are good.

I often wonder if people had similar access to Fazioli, Shigeru Kawai, Petrof, Bosendorfer, etc..., would they still prefer Steinway? In probably 98% of the halls, schools, and showrooms I've played in, Steinway was the only available high-end piano to try. To my knowledge, in my entire state, there are only two non-Steinway concert instruments in use. Drake University has a new Yamaha CFX, and Central College has a Fazioli. Both are amazing instruments.

Originally Posted by Hakki
Originally Posted by Kreisler
A lot of truth here I think...

Truth? Not at all.

There is a reason why Steinway is so popular than any other concert piano. It has somehow this unique sound that we can't find in any other brand. Most people love it inherently. It has some unique combination of things that touch our soul. A special character. A feeling of full satisfaction.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The Boosie Imperial 97-key piano at my school isn't as good as the Steinways at my school, but that could just as easily be the technician (or the piano faculty's preferences that they tell the technician).

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by gooddog
Be patient. I waited 45 years for mine and had to take out a second mortgage to do it. It was, of course, worth the wait and the huge monthly payment.

I got mine two years ago, having saved up for 25 years. Man, is it beautiful.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Grotrian Steinweg
(built in Germany)

Does anybody want to buy my 1912 Grotrian Steinweg upright? ... in top condition.

Offers above $2 million will be favourably considered.
“Who wants to be a millionaire ... I do”
(thank you Mr Sinatra ... from the movie High Society)

Yet another Chinese complot in the ointment ...
but then, there are such a lot of the dratted blighters.

Upon 2nd thoughts ... the price just went up to $3 million.
(I need the dough)

Kind regards, btb

PS The Kohlberg name sounds like a frosty mountain.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb

PS The Kohlberg name sounds like a frosty mountain.
Sounds like a high bar release in men's gymnastics to me.

-Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wonder if this will have any impact on Arkivmusic, which is owned by Steinway.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Hank Drake
I wonder if this will have any impact on Arkivmusic, which is owned by Steinway.

Guessing it will depend a lot on the financial stability of that business segment. They're basically buying a 150 year-old house that they think they can remodel, otherwise touch-up, repackage, and make a good profit off of it. What needs replacing will get replaced. What still looks good may stay. They might also gut the whole thing and rebuild it from the ground up.

But one basic rule of thumb: any noticeable nail sticking up will either get pounded down, or ripped out and (maybe) replaced.

And one basic "axiom" of buyouts: nobody buys a business to leave it exactly as it is. Because if it's working, and working well, the owner won't sell for a good enough price to make the purchase attractive.

Here's a pretty good article on the current deal:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-01/steinway-to-be-bought-by-kohlberg-for-438-million.html

One thing that really irks me, though:
I'm still amazed that people think the economy is recovering -- and Bloomberg writers, no less! The stock market has recovered (and started a new bubble), but with still-high unemployment, declining wages, exponentially rising food and energy costs, artificially low interest rates, and an ever-growing divide between the upper- and middle- classes (particularly in the US, for foreign readers), I don't see how anyone can think this will end well... our "Economy Train" is still heading for that massive cliff we almost went off in 2008. All we did was build a bridge out over the precipice, but there is no "other side". When we run out of building materials, we will go off the end of the bridge.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
WOW indeed...

I'm speechless!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The reason Steinways are so popular is largely due to marketing. The business could stand to change in my opinion, as could the pianos.

I would like to see a greater variety of pianos on concert stages. The finest piano I've ever played on was a Shigeru Kawai but it seems almost nobody has heard of them.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by debrucey
The finest piano I've ever played on was a Shigeru Kawai but it seems almost nobody has heard of them.

thumb Unfortunately, I couldn't afford that one either.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I keeeeeeeel you!!!

Anyone as pretty as pogo deserves the best.

Well then, she wouldn't want a "hot" piano. =p
Of course, I would buy her one could I afford to do so and she knows this. She's gorgeous, but my reasons are not so much about her looks.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I read today that Steinway Hall will become a condo tower. Brilliant, eh?

♪ ≠ $

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That is just SO depressing!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Deru,

" ...I don't see how anyone can think this will end well..."

No, it can't possibly, and Steinway and its like may be the first casualty.

Please post this on the thread in the "piano" forum, if you would.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission