Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
57 registered members (Agent88, EssBrace, Beowulf, AZNpiano, Beemer, AprilE, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: sophial] #2110379
06/29/13 10:00 PM
06/29/13 10:00 PM
G
Grandalf Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Grandalf  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by sophial
His Mozart is likewise exquisite, but the Scarlatti should blow you away.

And the Mozart.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2110395
06/29/13 10:52 PM
06/29/13 10:52 PM
South Carolina, USA
W
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member
wdot  Offline
500 Post Club Member
W

South Carolina, USA
I thought I would jump in here to "rain" in the discussion by pointing out that the proper spelling of the word "reign" in the phrase "**** in" is "rein." As in horses and slowing them down.

I saw two misuses of "reign" in the thread and it brought out my inner BruceD.

Ok. You folks can go back to arguing. I will say that I have always thought that Brahms 2 is probably about as hard as anything else that is really worth listening to for its musical value, as opposed to the "wow factor" of the technical difficulty.

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2110398
06/29/13 10:55 PM
06/29/13 10:55 PM
G
Grandalf Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Grandalf  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

Fantasy Impromptu is definitely the hardest song by Showpan.

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Grandalf] #2110451
06/30/13 03:53 AM
06/30/13 03:53 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by JoelW
Fantasy Impromptu is definitely the hardest song by Showpan.

Are you sure you don't mean Choppin'? wink
Yeah, he sure wrote some cool songs, dude.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2110458
06/30/13 04:15 AM
06/30/13 04:15 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

While thinking about this question, I remembered that the first movement of the Schumann 2nd piano sonata has never been surpassed in difficulty, since it requires an impossible speed heading into the coda, and then asks for more.

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Orange Soda King] #2110461
06/30/13 04:29 AM
06/30/13 04:29 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Also, I find it incredibly laughable that certain people say one piece is objectively more difficult than another...

You may laugh incredulously, but I think Scarbo is objectively more difficult than "The Happy Farmer". But don't ask me to verbalize why I think so. smile

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: wr] #2110491
06/30/13 06:13 AM
06/30/13 06:13 AM
B
bennevis Offline
bennevis  Offline
B

Originally Posted by wr

You may laugh incredulously, but I think Scarbo is objectively more difficult than "The Happy Farmer". But don't ask me to verbalize why I think so. smile

I believe (but don't quote me on this) that Scarbo has a few more notes than The Happy Farmer. Heck, it's even got a few more notes than "Mary had a little lamb". (But again, don't quote me on this).

But does that make it more difficult? What about all the minute nuances you have to put into each note of 'The Happy Farmer', to make him really happy? wink

After all, Webern demanded the same of the performers of say, his Op.27 Variations....(and that's immensely difficult).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: wdot] #2110503
06/30/13 06:54 AM
06/30/13 06:54 AM
Michigan, USA
O
Old Man Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Old Man  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
O

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by wdot
I thought I would jump in here to "rain" in the discussion by pointing out that the proper spelling of the word "reign" in the phrase "**** in" is "rein." As in horses and slowing them down.

I saw two misuses of "reign" in the thread and it brought out my inner BruceD.

Ok. You folks can go back to arguing. I will say that I have always thought that Brahms 2 is probably about as hard as anything else that is really worth listening to for its musical value, as opposed to the "wow factor" of the technical difficulty.

As one who prides himself on "pretty darn good" spelling, I feel deeply wounded. blush But you are absolutely correct, and I wasn't thinking as I typed (or maybe my keyboard has an acutely sensitive 'g'). Kings may "reign", but horses (and virtuoso instincts) must be "reined" in. Thanks, wdot. (I think).

Last edited by Old Man; 06/30/13 06:57 AM.
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: bennevis] #2110513
06/30/13 07:13 AM
06/30/13 07:13 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by wr

I believe (but don't quote me on this) that Scarbo has a few more notes than The Happy Farmer. Heck, it's even got a few more notes than "Mary had a little lamb". (But again, don't quote me on this).

But does that make it more difficult? What about all the minute nuances you have to put into each note of 'The Happy Farmer', to make him really happy? wink

After all, Webern demanded the same of the performers of say, his Op.27 Variations....(and that's immensely difficult).

By your measuring stick, since there are more notes in Scarbo than in Happy Farmer ("HF"), and each is surely at least as deserving of all sorts of minute nuance as the ones in HF, the one with the most notes is the more "difficult", if we are saying that the nuance applied to each note is difficult. But I'm not sure we were saying that...

Last edited by wr; 06/30/13 07:17 AM.
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2110516
06/30/13 07:34 AM
06/30/13 07:34 AM
Suffolk, UK
S
Scordatura Offline
Scordatura  Offline
S

Suffolk, UK
Returning to the OP, I dug out this article from The Etude magazine which offers a list from 1895, in an era when popular involvement in piano-playing was at a peak:

http://etudemagazine.com/etude/1895/10/the-hardest-piano-piece.html

Just for the record.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/ocportal
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: sophial] #2110524
06/30/13 07:56 AM
06/30/13 07:56 AM
Michigan, USA
O
Old Man Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Old Man  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
O

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by sophial

If you want to here Horowitz play Baroque music exquisitely, listen to his Scarlatti. It's immaculate, completely controlled, and totally musical. It will erase any doubts you might have. His Mozart is likewise exquisite, but the Scarlatti should blow you away.

Good point, sophial. Don't worry, I own plenty of Horowitz CDs, including one that is exclusively Scarlatti. And I couldn't agree more that his renditions were "immaculate, completely controlled, and totally musical". In fact were it not for VH, I doubt that I would've paid much attention to Scarlatti. But in the hands of Horowitz, Scarlatti's music becomes mesmerizing.

But I still think there was something about Bach's music that Horowitz was not comfortable with. Scarlatti and Bach are, after all, entirely different composers. I think Scarlatti's music lends itself to a more cantabile style of playing that VH would've favored, as opposed to the strict counterpoint of Bach. But I have to concede that the reasons I gave for his avoiding Bach are probably not applicable. It may have been as simple as not liking Bach's music, but who knows?

As far as Mozart goes, VH seems to have "found" Mozart later in his career. But I agree that when he did, it was exquisite. Had he lived longer, who knows what other composers Horowitz may have "found", and wouldn't that have been a treat for all of us!

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: wr] #2110548
06/30/13 09:20 AM
06/30/13 09:20 AM
Suffolk, UK
S
Scordatura Offline
Scordatura  Offline
S

Suffolk, UK
Originally Posted by wr
While thinking about this question, I remembered that the first movement of the Schumann 2nd piano sonata has never been surpassed in difficulty, since it requires an impossible speed heading into the coda, and then asks for more.

The impossibility of Schumann's tempo markings has been commented upon from the day of the sonata's publication. But personally, I don't agree as to that. The So rasch wie moeglich marking for the main body of the movement is in relation to the difficulty of its particular set of physical demands. At the penultimate Noch schneller, the material becomes much less physically demanding, permitting a quicker tempo. Provided that material is not itself executed so rasch wie moeglich, one will still have something in reserve for the final accelerando, where the material is still relatively undemanding compared with that of parts of the movement's main body.

I think the opening so rasch wie moeglich marking is also relevant to the rhythmic features of certain passages in the main body of the movement, which need to be articulated in an ungarbled manner, but without holding up the overall pace of the music.

To my way of thinking, this latter consideration is artistically more important than what is physically feasible for a given pianist. Tempo is dependent on musical content, and shouldn't be decided on the pretext that "I can play it up to MM=1000, so that's the right tempo for the music". Agility and speed are criteria relevant to gymnastics and athletics, not to music. Music needs, before all else, to be hearable, and needs to be articulated at a pace that allows time for the listener to auditorily decipher its content. Misjudge that, and it becomes meaningless, shapeless cacophony.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2110549
06/30/13 09:21 AM
06/30/13 09:21 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by Old Man
As far as Mozart goes, VH seems to have "found" Mozart later in his career. But I agree that when he did, it was exquisite. Had he lived longer, who knows what other composers Horowitz may have "found", and wouldn't that have been a treat for all of us!

VH lived a long time. He had every opportunity during his seven decade career to seek out new composers and compositions. My guess is that he probably "found" all the composers he wanted to find. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2110724
06/30/13 04:27 PM
06/30/13 04:27 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
One piece I really should have included -- and I'm sure it'll seem like one of those wiseguy type things like if we say "Traumerei" or "anything by Mozart," but I really mean it in a pure technique way, and I say it's totally up there with Feux Follets or anything else that anybody has mentioned:

Couperin's Le Tic Toc Choc

.....provided you really play it as written, meaning that you don't put the hands an octave apart. Oh -- and assuming you're only playing on a 1-manual keyboard.

....and also assuming that we don't mean that it counts if you play it lousy, which isn't hard at all. grin

The piece is a one of Sokolov's special tricks. Here he is with it.... and I'm posting a video that shows the score, so you can see what's going on. (There are also videos of it showing him.) Warning: it's very deceptive. It doesn't look hard at all, until you try to play it -- and then it becomes almost impossible, particularly because of the hands repeating the same notes in rapid order, and even more because of the many places where the hands have the same note at the same time. The latter would be hard in any event, but it's even harder because it doesn't occur in any regular pattern. So, besides the basic technical challenge, it's a very complex challenge of coordination, both mental and physical -- hard to appreciate unless you've tried doing it. It's an absolute brain scrambler and hand scrambler. And in addition to all else, the repeated-note thing limits and dictates the possible musical approaches. You can't do the repeated notes without a particular kind of attack -- which you then need to do pretty consistently, even where the repeated-note thing isn't happening, because otherwise you just have a lot of isolated "bumps" for no musical reason. I imagine this will seem like gibberish to most people who haven't tried playing the piece -- which is appropriate because gibberish is what your hands and brain might feel like if you do try playing it. ha

Cliff's Notes: It's awfully, awfully hard. Yes, it sounds pretty hard when you hear Sokolov, but it's even much much harder than it sounds. Some might say it's not hard, it's "tricky." But it's extremely both, and that's what puts it (IMO) off the charts.

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2110804
06/30/13 06:09 PM
06/30/13 06:09 PM
Philadelphia
D
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Derulux  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D

Philadelphia
Mark, first let me say I agree. Now, I'll disagree. grin

The piece is highly repetitive, almost deceptively so. So, I think that detracts from the difficulty (like Islamey, which I also didn't list).

Interestingly, I'm going to make a second comparison to Islamey, which makes me say this piece is incredibly hard: layering a melody on top of a note you have to strike again (which also happens in Islamey) is incredibly difficult to do well.

I think that skill, more than any of the others, makes this piece difficult. Would I put it in my top five? Maybe not. I think once the coordination is worked out, it wouldn't be too hard, so for me, it's not really up at the top of my list. But I wouldn't ever go so far as to say this piece is easy.

Nice pick, by the way. Definitely never heard the piece before. Thanks for bringing it up! smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Scordatura] #2110805
06/30/13 06:11 PM
06/30/13 06:11 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by Scordatura
Originally Posted by wr

The impossibility of Schumann's tempo markings has been commented upon from the day of the sonata's publication. But personally, I don't agree as to that. The So rasch wie moeglich marking for the main body of the movement is in relation to the difficulty of its particular set of physical demands. At the penultimate Noch schneller, the material becomes much less physically demanding, permitting a quicker tempo. Provided that material is not itself executed so rasch wie moeglich, one will still have something in reserve for the final accelerando, where the material is still relatively undemanding compared with that of parts of the movement's main body.

I think the opening so rasch wie moeglich marking is also relevant to the rhythmic features of certain passages in the main body of the movement, which need to be articulated in an ungarbled manner, but without holding up the overall pace of the music.

To my way of thinking, this latter consideration is artistically more important than what is physically feasible for a given pianist. Tempo is dependent on musical content, and shouldn't be decided on the pretext that "I can play it up to MM=1000, so that's the right tempo for the music". Agility and speed are criteria relevant to gymnastics and athletics, not to music. Music needs, before all else, to be hearable, and needs to be articulated at a pace that allows time for the listener to auditorily decipher its content. Misjudge that, and it becomes meaningless, shapeless cacophony.

Yeah, I know - but still...

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Derulux] #2110812
06/30/13 06:17 PM
06/30/13 06:17 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline
Mark_C  Offline

New York
Originally Posted by Derulux
....I think once the coordination is worked out, it wouldn't be too hard....

How easy do you think the coordination is to work out? grin

I was sort of practicing the piece last night. Trying to work out the coordination made me feel like a spastic moron. smile

As I said, it's hard to appreciate how hard the piece is unless you've actually tried it, and it's good that you can so immediately appreciate that it's hard at all. So, it's no slam on you if I say that saying it's not that hard once you work out the coordination is kind of like saying it's easy to win in the Olympics if you just run fast enough. grin

Don't forget the thing of those notes that are 'played' at the same time by both hands, and especially the irregularity of where they occur. The thing that you said makes the "coordination" thing hard. This extra thing is what makes it so impossible.

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Mark_C] #2110818
06/30/13 06:29 PM
06/30/13 06:29 PM
Suffolk, UK
S
Scordatura Offline
Scordatura  Offline
S

Suffolk, UK
+1, Mark!

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Scordatura] #2110828
06/30/13 07:01 PM
06/30/13 07:01 PM
Pacific Northwest, US.
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
argerichfan  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A

Pacific Northwest, US.

The impossibility of Schumann's tempo markings has been commented upon from the day of the sonata's publication. But personally, I don't agree as to that.

Indeed. Schumann's tempo marking simply means as fast as the pianist can play it. That all depends on the capabilities of the pianist, and Argerich's lightning speed is only about how fast she can play it.

Clara gives a metronome marking of 160 per crotchet in the last movement (which only reflects what she might have been capable of on a good day), but dares not suggest anything in the Prestissimo. Fair enough, yet I suspect in later years, she did not programme this sonata.

Jason
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Mark_C] #2110867
06/30/13 08:22 PM
06/30/13 08:22 PM
Philadelphia
D
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Derulux  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D

Philadelphia
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Derulux
....I think once the coordination is worked out, it wouldn't be too hard....

How easy do you think the coordination is to work out? grin

I was sort of practicing the piece last night. Trying to work out the coordination made me feel like a spastic moron. smile

As I said, it's hard to appreciate how hard the piece is unless you've actually tried it, and it's good that you can so immediately appreciate that it's hard at all. So, it's no slam on you if I say that saying it's not that hard once you work out the coordination is kind of like saying it's easy to win in the Olympics if you just run fast enough. grin

Don't forget the thing of those notes that are 'played' at the same time by both hands, and especially the irregularity of where they occur. The thing that you said makes the "coordination" thing hard. This extra thing is what makes it so impossible.

I think that might depend on the pianist, their abilities, and their comfort level. I have extremely good coordination, and I'm very comfortable with overlapping figures. That said, I haven't had the chance to sit down at a keyboard and work through any of this, but I don't imagine it would be as difficult (for me) as something like Feux Follets. I may end up eating my words when I can actually put my hands on the keys and try it out, but I'm usually pretty good at identifying things I will find difficult. (I have a lot of experience staring at them for hours on end.. grin )

I like your slam! I think "winning" the Olympics isn't really in the same category, but if we're talking about at least running at an Olympic pace, then you've got something there. Someone who can play this piece might not "win" the Cliburn, because a lot of factors go into winning any competition, but they might be able to qualify, at least. (For example, the world champion doesn't always win the Olympics, and the Olympic champion doesn't always win the worlds.)

But the comparison is valid: to run at an Olympic pace, you must have the skill, coordination, strength, flexibility, endurance, etc etc. To play this piece, you must have the skill, coordination, technique, etc etc. If you have all of those components, in the right amount and at a high enough level, you can do either. But for either skill: running at an Olympic pace, or playing this piece, most of the work must be done before approaching the starting line (or the piece itself).

So, to recap, that was very prophetic of you to use such an analogy. Great choice, too. smile

I'll shut up about the piece until I actually have a chance to try it. Then, I might considering coming back and recanting -- or furthering wink -- my earlier comments.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2111460
07/02/13 08:55 AM
07/02/13 08:55 AM
D
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member
dolce sfogato  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

a list of pieces that I play(ed) and I think are/were exceptionally hard:

Liszt Feux follets
Lyapunov Sonata
Schumann Toccata
Ligeti Fanfares/Automne a Varsovie
Bach Goldbergvariations

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2111473
07/02/13 09:21 AM
07/02/13 09:21 AM
New York
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member
didyougethathing  Offline
500 Post Club Member

New York
Gaspard
Iberia, taken as a whole
Vingt Regards, for length and technical difficulty
A bunch of Liszt stuff. Seems like Don Juan is reallllllly tricky.
A bunch of Godowsky, the Java Suite is a great choice though.

A note on Scarbo - it is such a different kind of virtuosity than other pieces. There are no flashy octave interludes. Sure there are fast repeated notes, but it serves the image of the piece. All of the difficulties serve the overall message of the piece. Boy do I love Scarbo, and Gaspard as a whole.

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Scordatura] #2111731
07/02/13 04:12 PM
07/02/13 04:12 PM
San Jose, CA
J
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jeffreyjones  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

San Jose, CA
Returning to the OP, I dug out this article from The Etude magazine which offers a list from 1895, in an era when popular involvement in piano-playing was at a peak:

Just for the record.

The more things change, the more they stay the same? Reads a lot like PW..

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: jeffreyjones] #2111785
07/02/13 06:17 PM
07/02/13 06:17 PM
Michigan, USA
O
Old Man Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Old Man  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
O

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

Just for the record.

Great article, Scordatura! And Jeff, I've always maintained the same thing: "The more things change, the more they stay the same." I've yet to discover anything truly "new" about human nature.

I had to chuckle at this quote: "For me the most difficult of piano pieces is whatever piece I happen to be playing while I am playing it." I read the exact same quote in another piano forum, and have been waiting patiently to see it pop up here ever since I started the thread. How refreshing to know that PW members are willing to subordinate cleverness to thoughtfulness. smile (MarkC, don't even think about it!) laugh

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited by Old Man; 07/02/13 06:18 PM.
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: jeffreyjones] #2111810
07/02/13 07:14 PM
07/02/13 07:14 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City

Just for the record.

Great article especially this part:
The other Beethoven sonata that figures in the list of the 16 most difficult compositions, opus 57, the familiar “Sonata Appassionata,” is in the repertoire of about every professional pianist. Opus 106 is very seldom played in public. As practical proof of its difficulty it may be mentioned that Von Bulow once publicly broke down in it while playing it from memory, some years ago, at Chickering Hall. The break-down was covered up, the audience being given to understand that something had gone wrong with the instrument. The tuner in attendance was sent on the stage with instructions to spend 15 or 20 minutes in ostensibly putting the piano to rights, while Von Bulow, out of earshot of the audience, utilized the time thus gained by furiously practicing, on an upright piano, the passage that had baffled him.

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2111814
07/02/13 07:17 PM
07/02/13 07:17 PM
Conway, AR USA
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
bkw58  Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014

Conway, AR USA
1. Liszt: Concert Etude Un Sospiro in Db Major.

2. Rachmaninoff: Prelude in Bb Major Op. 23, No. 2.

3. Rachmaninoff: Moment Musical Op. 16, No. 4, E minor.

4. Stravinsky: Petruschka 1. Danse Russe. Transcription for piano.

5. Prokofiev: Toccata in D minor, Op. 11.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: pianoloverus] #2111816
07/02/13 07:21 PM
07/02/13 07:21 PM
Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Orange Soda King  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Just for the record.

Great article especially this part:
The other Beethoven sonata that figures in the list of the 16 most difficult compositions, opus 57, the familiar “Sonata Appassionata,” is in the repertoire of about every professional pianist. Opus 106 is very seldom played in public. As practical proof of its difficulty it may be mentioned that Von Bulow once publicly broke down in it while playing it from memory, some years ago, at Chickering Hall. The break-down was covered up, the audience being given to understand that something had gone wrong with the instrument. The tuner in attendance was sent on the stage with instructions to spend 15 or 20 minutes in ostensibly putting the piano to rights, while Von Bulow, out of earshot of the audience, utilized the time thus gained by furiously practicing, on an upright piano, the passage that had baffled him.

I'm gonna save that bit!

I've never had a breakdown on stage, though (and I don't plan on it!)

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: jeffreyjones] #2112037
07/03/13 06:39 AM
07/03/13 06:39 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Just for the record.

Except that there is not that much overlap of the actual lists of pieces, then and now. I have trouble imagining anybody today putting the Bach Chromatic F&F on their list of most difficult pieces.

I did enjoy reading that Alkan's son said the most difficult piece was whatever he was playing at the moment - I can identify with that kind of thinking.

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: Old Man] #2112040
07/03/13 06:56 AM
07/03/13 06:56 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Just for the record.

Great article, Scordatura! And Jeff, I've always maintained the same thing: "The more things change, the more they stay the same." I've yet to discover anything truly "new" about human nature.

The article isn't about human nature, it's about difficult piano music.

But, since you brought up your experience of human nature - if you have yet to discover anything new, that might be more about your own perspective than it is about some fixed attribute of human nature. Just sayin'...

Re: Five Most Difficult Piano Pieces (Classical) [Re: wr] #2112055
07/03/13 07:51 AM
07/03/13 07:51 AM
Michigan, USA
O
Old Man Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Old Man  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
O

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by wr

Just for the record.

The article isn't about human nature, it's about difficult piano music.

Yes, I had that much figured out. I was responding to jeffreyjones. And the standard interpretation of the adage he quoted is that despite changes in our environment and circumstances, we humans really don't change that much over time. In terms of this thread, I thought Jeff was pointing out that the arguments about what pieces of music are difficult remain pretty much the same today as they were when the article was published.

Originally Posted by wr

But, since you brought up your experience of human nature - if you have yet to discover anything new, that might be more about your own perspective than it is about some fixed attribute of human nature. Just sayin'...

Can I sit, or should I lie on the couch? wink

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brodmann PE 121 vs. Kawai K300
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 12:20 AM
Recital 52 --- General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 10:44 PM
Recital 52 --- November 15, 2018
by AB Forum Recital. 11/14/18 09:06 PM
DIGITAL PIANO "SECONDS WAITED"
by ericco. 11/14/18 06:15 PM
Diminished scales and chords
by Tango. 11/14/18 03:02 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,337
Posts2,761,210
Members91,490
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission