Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Hurricane Irma & Our Piano Friends!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Tuning a Piano
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
80 registered members (ando, Asayake, 36251, amad23, Andrei Kuznetsov, 21 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2111990 - 07/03/13 05:02 AM Replacement Digital Piano.  
Jean Claude Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jean Claude  Offline
500 Post Club Member

France
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a replacement digital piano and looking for advice on which models would best suit my needs. At present I have a P120 which has served me well for the last 7 years or so. I use the DP only for gigs as I have a nice Sauter upright to use at home and at present I use it a couple of times a week, mostly for weddings and restaurant gigs, playing standards. I use it with a pair of JBL EON 15s. I use only the Grand Piano 1 setting in general although once in a while I use the Church Organ setting for - guess what - church weddings and, sadly, the occasional funeral.

What I like about the P120 is that it is easy to set up, really just plug in and play, and has been entirely reliable in the years that I have had it. I find the keyboard action acceptable rather than great.

What I don't like about the P120 is that frankly the piano sound is not that good and I am starting to find that in its case it is too heavy to carry comfortably, although this is something I can live with if necessary. It's the piano sound that is really bugging me.

It seems to me that I have two options, either get a new DP or get a midi module to plug into the P120 and live with the weight problem. If I get a new DP the requirements are thus:

88 note keyboard.
Really good piano sound.
Lighter in weight than the P120.
Better action than the P120.
Easy to set up and use.
I don't in the least care if it doesn't have internal speakers, built in rhythms, sequencing etc.

Using a midi module doesn't get over the weight problem but might give more 'bang for my buck' or indeed euro. I don't particularly want to use a PC based system as I am concerned (a) that it will over-complicate things and (b) that sooner or later it will fall off and be damaged.

I won't say that price is not an issue, however I am prepared to spend what I need to to get a really good sound (and better touch if I go for a new piano)

Any thoughts?

J-C.

Last edited by Jean Claude; 07/03/13 07:20 AM.
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2112060 - 07/03/13 09:12 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: Jean Claude]  
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
What is your budget?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2112077 - 07/03/13 09:55 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: Morodiene]  
Jean Claude Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jean Claude  Offline
500 Post Club Member

France

Honestly I haven't got a budget as such, I've had a look around and my impression is that I'm likely to be looking at around 2-3k (Euros) to get a really good (ie piano-like)sound. I'm Ok with that, much above those figures and I might start to feel fretful...if on the other hand I can get below 2k and still have a really good sound, so much the better.

Last edited by Jean Claude; 07/03/13 09:57 AM.
#2112090 - 07/03/13 10:25 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: Jean Claude]  
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Pennsylvania
Any of these would probably work fine for you ...

Yamaha P-155

Casio PX-350

Kawai ES7

Last edited by dmd; 07/03/13 10:26 AM.

Don

Current: ES8, ProFX8 Mixer, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio device, SennHeiser HD598 Phones, Focal CMS 40 Powered Monitors, JBL LSR305 Powered Monitors, Pianoteq 5,TruePiano,Ravenscroft275,TrueKeys American,Galaxy Vintage D,Ivory II,Alicia's Keys,CFX Concert Grand, The Grandeur
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2112093 - 07/03/13 10:28 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: Jean Claude]  
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member
voxpops  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wales
The problem you will run into is that most manufacturers reserve their best sound for their heavier boards. Your P120 weighs around 41lbs, and there are very few quality DPs that weigh less. A Nord Piano 2 (circa 40lbs) or Roland's FP-50 (36lbs) or RD-300NX are probably about the best you can do. Kawai's UPHI sample set only appears in their MP10 (70 lbs), and Yamaha's better SCM sounds start in their CP5 (55lbs). You could consider Korg's Krome 88 (32lbs) although it's very bulky and is not a dedicated piano. Other than that you should check out the Casio range to see if you like the sound.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
#2112096 - 07/03/13 10:30 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: Jean Claude]  
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
What you regard as a not-too-good piano sound probably means nothing to the audience/congregation, who are either talking or singing (at church) or drinking (restaurant) . . dammit, it`s terrible if they actually listen! Bt I know what you mean. The old Yamahas were pretty good in their day. I think they still are.

Trouble is, if you get a great keyboard, it`ll weigh heavily on your pocket and shoulders . . .not fair is it?

Good luck!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
#2112109 - 07/03/13 10:42 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: Jean Claude]  
Thomas Williams Offline
Thomas Williams  Offline

NJ, USA
I'm not sure about the P120, but the current Yamaha models with the higher numbers (well, that would be the P155) should be at least as good -- probably better, as the technology would be more current. For the sort of things you're playing, the upper level Yamaha P instruments, or the upper level Casio PX keyboards, are worth considering if you want to stay relatively light. (The P105 is considerably lighter in weight, and cheaper, but decidedly not as good in overall quality -- and touch.)

But don't overlook Roland. Their SuperNatural piano sound, is, in my opinion, the best you'll find. The main problem is that their better boards are going to be even heavier than your existing one. I love the feel and sound of the FP7F or the RD700nx, but the lower level ones -- the RD300nx or the FP4F/FP50 -- are a bit lighter and still have the great piano sound, with an action that isn't quite as good IMO (but still far better than many cheap/older digitals).

#2112113 - 07/03/13 10:46 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: peterws]  
willf Offline
willf  Offline

UK
If you can live with the weight of the P120 the Roland Integra-7 has a very good piano sound, and lots of others. (IMO). Given your budget you could couple this with a lighter DP/Contoller as well.

Last edited by willf; 07/03/13 10:52 AM.

willf
#2112136 - 07/03/13 11:30 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: willf]  
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member
voxpops  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wales
Originally Posted by willf
If you can live with the weight of the P120 the Roland Integra-7 has a very good piano sound, and lots of others. (IMO). Given your budget you could couple this with a lighter DP/Contoller as well.

Even though I expect the sounds are great, the physical footprint is quite large for the Integra. You either need a convenient 18" x 10" surface, or carry a separate rack case, which is, I presume, not ideal. Maybe Roland will bring out an Integra-5, designed more like the Peavey Musebox, for live use.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
#2112138 - 07/03/13 11:31 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: Jean Claude]  
maurus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
maurus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If you don't need internal speakers, have suitable amplification, and if weight and good sound are a concern, IMHO you can't do much better than Clavia's Nord Piano (2). You have to compromise a bit on action though, but that's a trade-off with weight.

#2113064 - 07/05/13 02:08 AM Re: Replacement Digital Piano. [Re: voxpops]  
willf Offline
willf  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by voxpops
Originally Posted by willf

Even though I expect the sounds are great, the physical footprint is quite large for the Integra. You either need a convenient 18" x 10" surface, or carry a separate rack case, which is, I presume, not ideal. Maybe Roland will bring out an Integra-5, designed more like the Peavey Musebox, for live use.

Ideally I would like it to have the form factor of the Sonic Cell and have 256+ polyphony.

willf

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Trouble with rhythm
by sara elizabeth. 09/26/17 07:53 AM
Observations on my new Roland FP-90
by TripleSharp. 09/26/17 07:09 AM
Which movement contains the snake? - BWV 826 Partita in Cm
by pinkfloydhomer. 09/26/17 06:22 AM
Between Steinberg UR242 and Roland Quad Capture
by stamkorg. 09/26/17 04:15 AM
Perzina and weber pianos
by dat77. 09/26/17 02:53 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,026
Posts2,660,168
Members88,893
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission