2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
An "increasingly dangerous" situation, a five-year-old who loves playing the piano incorrectly.

Peter, maybe you could tell us what you think is happening?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe you can record a video of your child so we can see exactly what's going on?

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Cardinal, I'm glad you seem to be finding some consensus among the teachers and a good path forward. Hope your son continues to love his music!

1989 Baldwin R
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
An "increasingly dangerous" situation, a five-year-old who loves playing the piano incorrectly.

Peter, maybe you could tell us what you think is happening?

No, I can't. I am in full agreement with you that teacher #1 should still be this boy's teacher, and this lengthy thread has smelled off from the start.

My suspicion is that Cardinal has been pranking us all along, and we fell for it. This happens on the Internet.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
OK, at least now I understand you! laugh

C
OP Offline
C
Wow, ok... I'm sorry you feel that way, Peter.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Cardinal201
Wow, ok... I'm sorry you feel that way, Peter.

A gracious reply if I ever saw one.

1989 Baldwin R
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Wow, ok... I'm sorry you that way, Peter.

Thing is Cardinal, if you are genuine, then you know that you are genuine, and hopefully the doubt of a person online (who has obviously seen a lot of chancers on this forum) won't cause you to lose sleep?

Again if you are genuine, then I wish you and your son the very best!

C
OP Offline
C
jdw, thank you, once again. ten left thumbs, I also appreciate your words, but it's BECAUSE I'm genuinely seeking help/advice that it's worrisome if folks think I'm making up a story, especially someone as well-respected on this forum as Peter K. Mose. If I were just trolling, I wouldn't care, because I wouldn't have an actual situation with which I needed actual help. Thankfully, enough people have given me the benefit of a doubt and offered many useful insights, and consequently I now have a better handle on my son's situation and more confidence moving forward with the teacher transfer. Thank you one and all for that. I hope I am still welcome to post questions I might have in the future, and continue to receive the same benefit of the doubt.

I won't lose sleep, but am curious--are there others beside Peter who think I'm pranking them? And by "all along", do you mean making up everything I've written since August when I joined the forum (my first posts were about piano shopping)? Does anyone disbelieve that I even have a child who plays the piano?

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Cardinal, an internet forum, even the ones that is generally friendly like this, is a still wild place.

I think the high fee you are paying for a 6 year old set some people off. Noticed the sharp turn from there? While not unheard of, it was indeed unusual. Many teachers with many years of experiences don't charge that kind of fee, many not even close. Some knee jerk reactions, even from nice people, is quite natural. And teachers who charges significantly below the level you are paying, will probably go quiet for obvious reasons.

I have no reason to doubt you, but after all this is not an everyday story, and you should expect different reactions. Good luck with the journey, and enjoy him as much as you can.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
jdw, thank you, once again. ten left thumbs, I also appreciate your words, but it's BECAUSE I'm genuinely seeking help/advice that it's worrisome if folks think I'm making up a story, especially someone as well-respected on this forum as Peter K. Mose. If I were just trolling, I wouldn't care, because I wouldn't have an actual situation with which I needed actual help. Thankfully, enough people have given me the benefit of a doubt and offered many useful insights, ...

Indeed, there have been enough responses you can rely on as broad opinions of what other teachers might think. And the same would happen in the future, if you come with other questions. And if someone thinks you a prankster, so what?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Monkeys
The teacher at the early stage of the development does make differences, just listen to AZP's rant of the transfer students.

Maybe I'm not ranting frequently enough?
[Linked Image]
Just say no to transfer wrecks.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Originally Posted by The Monkeys

I think the high fee you are paying for a 6 year old set some people off. Noticed the sharp turn from there? While not unheard of, it was indeed unusual.

I think it depends on location. Looking around at private lesson prices in the Boston area, they're all over the lot. It's easily $100-$120/hour for a teacher associated with one of the conservatories.

I've been following this thread with interest. I don't have any experience with 5-year-olds in any context. I'm not a parent or a teacher of children.

I'm curious - if the kid has incorrect hand technique, why can't teacher #1 just tell him to stop doing that, whatever it is? Why does it take a special teacher to correct early technique problems? After all, he's only 5, and he's not playing Rachmaninoff. Can't teacher #1 just keep correcting him until he does it right? At that age, isn't it analogous to teaching him how to hold his silverware, i.e. you just keep correcting him?

Good luck with whatever path you choose, Cardinal.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by BrainCramp
Why does it take a special teacher to correct early technique problems? After all, he's only 5, and he's not playing Rachmaninoff. Can't teacher #1 just keep correcting him until he does it right?

That would have been what I did when my kids were 5.

But if you read Outliers or a number of similar works, the stars of the sports and arts worlds aren't necessarily those with "natural" talent, whatever that means, but those who were singled out for better coaching, instruction, clinics, and competition from an early age. Sometimes based solely on the accident of their birthdate.

gotta go practice
K
kck Offline
K
Originally Posted by BrainCramp

I'm curious - if the kid has incorrect hand technique, why can't teacher #1 just tell him to stop doing that, whatever it is? Why does it take a special teacher to correct early technique problems? After all, he's only 5, and he's not playing Rachmaninoff. Can't teacher #1 just keep correcting him until he does it right? At that age, isn't it analogous to teaching him how to hold his silverware, i.e. you just keep correcting him?

Good luck with whatever path you choose, Cardinal.

Actually, this is an interesting question. I said my kid had a similar situation, but it wasn't exactly the same. My child's first teacher was very picky on technique and talked about it every lesson. That teacher moved away. Under duress, we got on a waiting list at a highly regarded program teacher #1 suggested, and started with teacher #2 in the mean time hoping that would be a fit. He was not used to young precocious kids and everything fell apart. So when we got called up off the waiting list at the other music school, I jumped on it. Teacher #2 was super mad at us actually for leaving.

You'd think a teacher that could recognize the issue would work to correct those issues before passing a kid on? Our first teacher wouldn't let kid go anywhere without CONSTANT technique work. I would not pay those kind of bucks for a 5 year old. My kid was playing pretty well at 5/6 and got plenty of accolades and attention at the time. I will say at 12, use of good technique is still his biggest struggle and he plays at a high level now. He is learning a Mozart concerto right now.

Again - I'm not a teacher, just a parent. Assuming this is an actual situation, my mind tends to think teacher #1 is a slacker for recognizing a problem, allowing kid to prepare for Guild with issues, and then passing off the problem. My kid's current teacher would not allow my child to do Guild his first year with him until he trusted him to be able to learn and play a number of pieces with good technique.

Amateur musician, piano and violin parent
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission