2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TimR

It can work, and it can be counterproductive. I'm short of time, but I'll try to explain a couple of my ideas briefly.

It can work when the main impediment to fast play is unfamiliarity with the piece, rather than lack of technique or incorrect technique. Rostropovich was said to have started learning pieces very slowly, yet clearly he had all the necessary technique to play at tempo.

Back to my example: my requirement is 120, my top speed is 90, so I'm going to drop down to 60 and speed up one beat at a time. I'll move right past 90 so slowly I don't even notice.

Q: Why is my current top speed 90? A: Because I'm doing something wrong.

So what happens on the 30 repetitions between 60 and 90 as I speed up incrementally? Practice makes permanent, and I'm practicing the techniques that I've already proven don't work at speed until they are perfect.

I'll usually get past 90, maybe to 95, or even 100. Wrong technique thoroughly practiced can be pushed a little faster. But then you hit a plateau. .............
Now, another thing happened on those 30 repetitions. You become fatigued, mentally and physically.

For the last part, which I've highlighted, am I right in understanding that you are talking about speeding up from 60 to 90, notch by notch, in one sitting on the same day? I can see that that wouldn't work well, for the reason you've stated.

I'm also imagining starting slowly and speeding up to happen over days of practising, and that this practising will include other things. Practising slowly is for the sake of doing things right and having the time to do so. Therefore the technical issues should also be ironed out during your slow practice, in sections. If you are a student taking lessons then hopefully your teacher will point out what you need to work on, and how (physical and strategy). If not you have to figure this out on your own. If you do that, then the technical question you've mentioned is being taken care of. (?) Working only on speeding up would not work very well.

M
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for all the links! That was a lot of reading this morning. laugh

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I addressed the metronome on the context of smoothing out the playing, but speed building as others have said is a slow process.

Whenever you play, it is important to be relaxed. So when you determine the speed that you can play the piece at relaxed and without error, of course, you then increase slowly no more than 5 increments at a time. At the point that you begin to make errors, you have drop the speed to level of having no errors. Speed building has nothing to with the fingers, but the brain nd the brain learns slowly over time.

Generally, you have to be able to play at 20 increments higher than the speed you want to play at to allow - you - your brain to be relaxed and you are able to play without errors.

The time involved is not specific but generally, it takes a month or 2 at 60 to 70, 70 to 80, etc up to 120. for instance. But at speeds of 120 to 200, Presto, it can take 6 months or more, of course, depending on the complexity of the piece, easy for Mary a little lamb and very difficult to play Chopin's Ballade No. 4 at 200. So the higher the speed the longer it takes to increase the speed in small increments.

Last edited by Michael_99; 06/30/13 06:05 PM.
I have to admit that I had a couple of things in mind when I asked this question:
Originally Posted by keystring
I'm wondering if an addition to that question might be:
- How would you like your students to use the metronome, and when?
- How would you like them NOT to use the metronome?

What I've heard from more than one teacher as that they do NOT want their students playing with the metronome running, as a general rule. In fact, I did that for a while and it was a dismal failure because I just ignored it (as was pointed out to me one day). Rather, the idea was to use the metronome some of the time to get an idea of the tempo of something, to work with it maybe when not playing the music, or checking yourself after playing a bit.

Part of the idea was for a student to get a feeling for pulse and meter, rather than relying on an external device, and I think also the danger of "playing metronomically". There were times, however, where in certain situations playing with the metronome was called for.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
I also hear people talking the other side of it - they don't want to play with the the metronome because it might cause them to become robotic and unable to be musically expressive.

That may be so for some people, but I think it is used as an excuse by people who find playing with a metronome difficult and want to avoid learning to do so.

At least for some people a metronome can be a step along the way to learning to play with others.

gotta go practice
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Michael_99
At the point that you begin to make errors, you have drop the speed to level of having no errors.

Well, no.

If your requirement is to make no errors, then you have to simplify.

You can do that through dropping the speed.

You can simplify many other ways as well. You can go HS, you can skeletonize, you can chunk, you can drop notes, you can loop, etc.

One thing I do frequently is to play a difficult passage at tempo, but reducing it to a small piece, or reducing the changes of notes.

For example. Here's a piece from the brass players world. Sorry about that, I know this is a piano forum, but... we're all musicians here. It's not a virtuoso solo piece, it's simply a difficult piece from the standard band repertoire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIgjAY55k1g

Rolling Thunder is a classic circus tempo march, normally played at 160. It's a bit demanding for us trombone players - while I don't expect to ever make a mistake sightreading a Sousa march, this is a different challenge that took considerable effort to play at tempo. The trumpet player is pressing a valve down half an inch, I'm moving a heavy slide a couple of feet.

Playing this one at 80 and incrementing a beat at a time, or steps of 5 or 10 will never get you to tempo. Sorry, I've seen people work for years and not get there. I just had a conversation with a good musician who's worked on lip trills out of Arban with the incremental method for 40 years, and didn't succeed.

Well, there's a caveat here too, I guess. Take an highly skilled trombone player skilled at the genre and let him incrementally speed up, he'll get there with the stepwise motion. The other 98% of trombone players will never play this one.

When I worked this one up, I set the metronome to 160, final tempo. I played the first pattern, but on the first two notes. Hard to explain, and so easy to show! There are 13 notes in the first run. I played the first two notes, but continued to play the second note at tempo for the next 11 notes as if I were moving. C-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F Then the first 3 notes in rhythm, and repeated the 3rd note on the rhythm of the next 10. Etc. Master four measures at a time - but sometimes I had to master two notes at a time.

Doing this shows immediately where the difficulty lies. The transition between some notes is easy and others near impossible - and can usually be fixed with a correct fingering choice and a lot of practice.

What I'm saying is yes, you have to simplify; but don't fall into the trap of thinking slowing down is the only way to simplify.

It can be the worst way to simplify.

Once the correct motions at speed are understood, slowing down is often the best way to get real control. But as a first step, particularly for a beginner, it can be very limiting.

I have other objections but they are more philosophical so I'll spare you.

gotta go practice
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Don't stop there! I'd like to hear your philosophical objections.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Wow, there's quite a bit of nonsense in this thread so far.

1. Do you feel students need to use a metronome?

It depends on the student. Some kids innately have a strong sense of pulse, so it would be ludicrous to impose something that the kid doesn't need. On the other extreme, some kids (and adults) have ZERO sense of pulse, and no matter now much you try to shove metronomes down their throats, nothing will help.

Sometimes it's a brain development thing, and you just have to wait it out. It's like Algebra--some kids can do it in 4th grade, most kids can do it in 8th grade, and some kids can't ever do it (and in California that means you don't get to graduate from high school).

2. If so, when?

Two things:
Can the kid clap steadily? Can the kid clap with a metronome? Generally speaking, this happens when the kid turns 8 or 9. Of course, some kids can do it earlier, and some kids will never be able to do it. It really depends on the individual student.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Using a metronome is like having blinkers on ...
no peripheral vision.

And to think that the mighty Beethoven supported it’s first use
after first being patented by Johann Maelzel in 1815.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission