2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1957, bcalvanese, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
So i know that you are not supposed to compare Digitals to Acoustics and consider them as separate instruments etc.

And there are some that will argue that Digital's will never ever come close to the look and feel and sound of a real musical instrument like an acoustic piano...
But I'm going to ask the question anyways...

Provided that you're using a very good sound system or a decent sound system such as KRK studio monitors with Sub etc

coupled with vintage galaxy D software,

I was just curious as to how this set up compares to a real piano

Maybe even an Acoustic Steinway?

I was quite taken aback By the quality of the Vintage Galaxy D samples. Especially by the Adjustable decay. The increased decay time is what made it very realistic. But Again I'm limited in the number of times i've played a Real acoustic piano(cheap uprights don't count)

But unfortunately I don't have access to a grand piano where I live..

Basically what I'm trying to figure out is if there is a big difference between a higher end digital piano set up using state-of-the-art software samples such as vintage galaxy D/ Studio Speakers + sub of good quality,,, and a real quality acoustic piano

Feel free to include Hybrids in this Query.

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Real good Quality acoustic Piano*

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Live is best....period.
You could get far higher quality samples (which haven't been created yet), far higher quality sound system, on the best available keyboard. You could spend tens of thousands on this. You could have an impressive system. Still....it won't stand up to a real piano right in front of you.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well that answers that question. Lol

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Sampled pianos can sound as good as professionally recorded masters of pianists playing top-shelf pianos, but they will never sound exactly the same as being in the presence of the aforementioned pianos.

Ultimately, mics are a limitation but long before that speakers are the limiting factor. KRK's don't begin to compare with a big resonating soundboard. I haven't been in the presence of speakers that can so I am not sure they actually exist.

But anyway, listening to great well-recorded cd's on excellent speakers is a joy in itself and sampled pianos easily compare with that. The limitation for most of us is our playing.

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Sampled pianos can sound as good as professionally recorded masters of pianists playing top-shelf pianos, but they will never sound exactly the same as being in the presence of the aforementioned pianos.

... KRK's don't begin to compare with a big resonating soundboard. I haven't been in the presence of speakers that can so I am not sure they actually exist.

Are these big enough resonating sound boards?
[Linked Image]
These are the speakers that made Klipsch famous.

Last edited by rnaple; 06/29/13 12:24 AM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I would love to know what type of speakers are those smile

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Are there any online piano shops that sell pianos via credit card like rickjonespianos.com?

Ones that maybe carry cheaper brands such as pearl river and hailun. Otto meister etc?

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Mta88
Are there any online piano shops that sell pianos via credit card like rickjonespianos.com?

Ones that maybe carry cheaper brands such as pearl river and hailun. Otto meister etc?

Why would you even want to do this? Each and every piano, of the same make, is different and needs to be played and heard first. To some extent we hear that said about DP's on this forum, usually the action, even though the difference may be marginal.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
"Provided that you're using a very good sound system or a decent sound system such as KRK studio monitors with Sub etc
coupled with vintage galaxy D software,
I was just curious as to how this set up compares to a real piano
Maybe even an Acoustic Steinway?"

This question, and it`s answer costs a lot o` people a lot o` money! A better question would be "What is the difference between a decent DP or software piano to a decent acoustic grand when it comes to recording?"

I would say imo "Time and money saved" which could be used to good purpose. The sound is similar.

Last edited by peterws; 06/29/13 04:01 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Many sampled libraries sound good, but playability is different story. I just feel "disconnected" if that makes sense and it has nothing to do with latency. Pianoteq is much better for practice imho. I use Vintage D only for recording in DAW.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

Why would you even want to do this? Each and every piano, of the same make, is different and needs to be played and heard first. To some extent we hear that said about DP's on this forum, usually the action, even though the difference may be marginal.

Because there are no piano dealers where I live and I don't see the opportunity for me traveling anytime soon in the coming years.

We tend to get used and very old small uprights. Either spinets or consoles.

If I want to get something like a 52 inch upright such as the yamaha u3 I would have to special order it.

Even a 48 inch upright Is hard to come by. The only one I can find is a Xinghai from Beijing.

And grands are practically non existent unless you find a private owner or a hotel who more than likely special ordered it many years ago.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
My p105 will be arriving soon. That should be enough to continue practice on.

However judging from what was said in this post, and many other posts, I would like to eventually purchase an Acoustic. It seems there isn't a proper replacement for the sound of an acoustic piano.

I was pleased with the xinghai I played (48" upright)

But considering there was only one( and is most likely the only one in the country) I doubt it would still be available by the time I can afford it.
Other than that piano the only other piano that is readily available is the yamaha
Ju109 also known as the yamaha B1 in the US

Who knows maybe there will be a better one by then. There was talk of another "dealer" importing pearl river models.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by jarosujo
Many sampled libraries sound good, but playability is different story. I just feel "disconnected" if that makes sense and it has nothing to do with latency. Pianoteq is much better for practice imho. I use Vintage D only for recording in DAW.

Maybe you had to tinker with the velocity curves to get the desired connection with your setup?

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
"However judging from what was said in this post, and many other posts, I would like to eventually purchase an Acoustic."

My words of wisdom always seem to fall on deaf ears . . . grin Wonder why?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I would love to know what type of speakers are those smile

They are K-horns.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by peterws
"However judging from what was said in this post, and many other posts, I would like to eventually purchase an Acoustic."

My words of wisdom always seem to fall on deaf ears . . . grin Wonder why?

I misunderstood..

You believe the sounds of the software piano with proper equipment are similar if not as good to a real acoustic ?

So many folks seem to think comparing them is near blasphemy lol.

I promise I would not ignore you "words of wisdom" lol
I am certainly in no position to do so laugh

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Your words of wisdom *

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hey do I need to get an audio interface like focusrite 2i2 for the software piano?

I felt disconnected from the piano somehow, at least with my old keyboard.

Was thinking this may have to do with the latency?

I believe it was around 13 or so.. Don't fully recall.

I'm still learning about software pianos so bare with me guys.

Thanks.

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Input is 11.6ms

Output is 4.7 ms

Total is 16.3 ms...

These are from contact.

What does this mean?

Acoustics:
1934 Danemann Upright:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission