2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
It's been awhile... Our basement is almost finished. We're moving the tv stuff to the basement to make room for the grand piano we're going to get- someday. I live in a small town and went to look at a 2002 Weber 5 foot grand today. It was made in 2002. I list my card, but I think it was a wg-150. It seemed like a nice piano. It sounded pretty good. I came home and called my trusty tech. He told me it's a young chang piano and therefore junk. He said $8k was way too much for it anyway. Is it true? I didn't actually have the money for it anyway. My husband's grandfather said he'd help us out with the piano, but not sure what dollar figure he's thinking of for "helping us out". The hailun still looks pretty good even though the music store owner guys tell me they aren't sold. (I don't like the junk they're selling in their stores either.) It would have been nice to find a used piano in town, though.

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
*1912 Lindman Player-Piano*
1906 Chickering Quarter Grand
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Junk? Probably not far from the truth. But what disturbs me is that someone is trying to sell it for $8,000. That's outrageous. You can get a brand new Young Chang Y150 for less than that, and although it is still a Young Chang, it is a new, redesigned instrument with impressive musical qualities, and a good tech would be able to accentuate those qualities.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Pianos can be sold as "new" as long as it was not sold.... even if it is from the previous millenium. We've seen this discussion before here.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by beethoven986
Junk? Probably not far from the truth. But what disturbs me is that someone is trying to sell it for $8,000. That's outrageous. You can get a brand new Young Chang Y150 for less than that, and although it is still a Young Chang, it is a new, redesigned instrument with impressive musical qualities, and a good tech would be able to accentuate those qualities.

Back in 2002, the Young Chang/Weber models with three digits in the serial numbers (i.e., 150 vs. 50) were built in Young Chang's Chinese factory as opposed to its Korean factory. The quality of the Chinese built instruments was not as good.

$8K for a Chinese-built ten year old 4'11" baby grand is definitely outrageous. I remember seeing a NEW WG150 being sold here in Phoenix back then for $5K.

As for your Tech's opinion, Young Changs (in general) are not "junk" - particularly their higher end models. But you must do your homework when buying one - which includes knowing WHEN and WHERE it was built, and specifically what the model number implies (since there were different levels of quality and features - even in the Korean produced instruments).

And yes - the new Young Changs as designed by Del Fandrich are very nice instruments in their price point.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
This thread makes me think of the old saying "one woman/man's trash/junk is another woman/man's treasure". smile

I honestly do not think a 2002 model Young Chang/Weber is junk... far from it. I do think $8K is wayyyyyyyyy to high of a price for a 5 footer.

I also think that a lot of members here have the benefit of owning/playing very high quality instruments and tend to turn their noses up at anything less. Not everyone has $30K or even $10K to spend on a piano.

The bottom line is, if you like it and can afford it, that is what prompts the decision... just my .02.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah, had this discussion with my son the other day when he asked me what I thought of something, and I told him that without knowing the price, it's impossible to form an opinion. If a piano cost $100 and everything is working properly, I'm likely to give it very high praise no matter how it sounds.

OP Offline
Thanks. This piano is not new- just not very used. The seller states that she bought the piano new for $11k. I don't have an abundance of funds, so I'll let this one pass. Just out of curiosity, what do you estimate this piano, used in excellent condition should be priced at?

Christine *mom* to
5 daughters, 2 sons
*1912 Lindman Player-Piano*
1906 Chickering Quarter Grand

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission