2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Hi. Does anybody have experience with having an acoustic piano in a studio apartment? The place I'm looking at would have one neighbor above, and one on a side of me. The ceilings are high - I feel like I could jam some foam between the rafters to dampen the sound... maybe.

J
J
First, find out what the local ordinances are on noise, hours, decibel levels, etc.

PianoPerfection
Teacher, performer, technician
Westchester County, NY

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Adam,

The first thing to do is to check with the management about their regulations concerning pianos. Unless the complex is brand new, they probably have some experience.

People put pianos in apartments all the time. NYC would cease to exist if that were not the case. It all boils down to being considerate of your neighbors, and the type of construction used in the building.

Give us more information, and we can give more specific advice.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Agreed with both posts above, and would suggest talking to your neighbors now to see what their schedules are like (are your typical practice hours during times the're home?) and to try and spread a little good will about your plans.

For occasional late-night or more repetitive playing, a good upright piano practice mute comes in handy, as well as a quick text message to the neighbors ("sorry, I've got a concert in 3 days- let me know if this is too loud"), etc. In 7 years of acoustic piano ownership while renting an apartment, I've never had a complaint.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Are you on the ground floor? That seems to make the difference. I have a baby grand in my ground floor condo. When I asked the neighbor upstairs if he heard the piano he said, "What piano?"

People walking by outside can hear it, though.

Gary
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Adam Malone
Hi. Does anybody have experience with having an acoustic piano in a studio apartment?

Oh yes.
Since last year, I own a Yamaha C2 SG, and I live in a flat in a house with 7 floors, and I live right in the middle. The piano can be heard in the whole house.

There are regulations about quiet time. From 12-15 o'clock and from 22-7 o'clock. And there are some court rulings about how much piano the neighbors have to endure. I believe it's 90 minutes per day in Germany; if you earn money with your piano (e.g. if you are a piano teacher), then it can be more.

But with only two neighbors, and you not playing during the nighttime (unless your piano has a silent system), there shouldn't be too many problems.

Last edited by patH; 07/02/13 06:45 PM.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What's going on at 12pm to 3pm? Naptime? And if I started playing piano at 7am I'm sure someone would angrily bang on my door, lol.

I tend to do repetitive work on my digital piano and play my acoustic when I have something that's passably good. Most of the time I keep the lid completely closed which reduces the volume a lot. I haven't heard any complaints yet...

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
D
D
I was miserable until I got a house. Now the only time they hear me is if they are right outside the window. I don't think the sound carries to across the street.

If I had an apartment I'd get either a keyboard or a piano with the silent feature.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
You can buy either the silent, or some advanced hybrod like AvantGrand. It's kinda artificial, but solves the sound problem.

However I would go into silent system - for example Bechstein is offering them to each piano.

S
S
You could also check with your neighbors beforehand... see if they'd even mind hearing wonderful, live piano music. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Allen, also check the language in your lease, specifically any clauses that refer to "quiet enjoyment".

I ran into a problem with a downstairs neighbor in California 12 years ago who didn't want me to play at all, ever. The lease had a "quiet enjoyment" clause in it, and management initially sided with the neighbor. I then pointed out to them that I had made a complete disclosure to the agent of my piano activities before signing the lease, which included about 20 students a week. I started threatening to counter sue them for misrepresentation, breach and nonperformance, since verbal agreements are binding in CA. They backed off a bit, but it was awful for about 2 years after that until the neighbor finally moved.

If you're on the ground floor, it should be much less of a problem if the building was built properly.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Management had no problem with me getting an acoustic piano. I still haven't met my neighbors yet (recently moved) but luckily no complaints yet smile

I think it's a lot more annoying for neighbors if you're a teacher. I wouldn't be too happy with it even if I play piano myself. I only play a few hours a day at most and I try to keep it quiet when I'm learning something new.

However I've noticed I do have some issues playing really loud, mostly in keeping my fingers close to the keys before hitting them. My teacher points this out to me all the time. I'll just have to practice that on my digital -- I don't want to bug my neighbors too much. The apartment complex I'm in is relatively old and I can hear my upstairs neighbors talking, so they can probably hear my playing pretty clearly.

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
A
A
I have an acoustic in a duplex and was worried about all of these issues since we share a wall. Surprisingly, everything has been fine! My neighbor even compliments me on my playing and tells me how much he enjoys hearing it when we occasionally run into each other. I play an hour or two each day and never after 10 pm.

[Linked Image]
Works in Progress:
Rachmaninoff: Prelude Op 23 No 4

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allan W.

However I've noticed I do have some issues playing really loud, mostly in keeping my fingers close to the keys before hitting them. My teacher points this out to me all the time. I'll just have to practice that on my digital -- I don't want to bug my neighbors too much. The apartment complex I'm in is relatively old and I can hear my upstairs neighbors talking, so they can probably hear my playing pretty clearly.

Going back and forth from your digital may be the problem with playing loud on your acoustic. I had the same issue from when I first got my acoustic because I was used to playing my DP and not realistic volumes. What really helped me keep fingers close and play softly was practicing at night on my acoustic and worrying about disturbing my family. Kinda makes you extra careful to play softly.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allan W.
What's going on at 12pm to 3pm? Naptime?
Yes, naptime. And I found out because a neighbor complained about it; I thought it was from 13-15 o'clock.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Allen, also check the language in your lease, specifically any clauses that refer to "quiet enjoyment".

From Black's Law Dictionary:
The term quiet here does not mean that there is no noise. Here it means that there is no outside interference with an activity. An activity is enjoyed without the interference of another or superior party.

Gary

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission