2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,260 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
So it's stupid hot in San Diego today so I figure it might be a good day to "shop" for a piano and try some grands out in an air conditioned show room. I have an upright a Sohmer 45 that I bought for $500 and that sounds really nice. I am a beginner pianist for the most part.

I tried a number of different Steinways and I left not really feeling all that impressed. They sounded sort of thin and uncomplex to me. They played nice, had good sustain but none of them made me go "wow".

The one that I played that I thought sounded the best was actually one of the smallest a sub 6 foot Mason and Hamlin. It had a delightful tone, rich bass singing trebles and had that pleasing complex resonance the best pianos have.

I truly expected to be in awe of the pianos I played but wasn't. Other than maybe the Mason and Hamlin none of them made me want to (whether I could or not) ditch my up upright and write a zero-heavy check.

Maybe I am just not good enough to bring out the sound of the instrument, but I have a pretty good ear so I don't know. Maybe just the showroom.

Anyone ever have an experience like this?

Last edited by johnnysd; 06/28/13 10:16 PM.
If you don't have experience with grand pianos invite a pianist to help you test the pianos. Technique is crucial to get the correct sound out of a piano.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Usually it's just due to mood. Keep trying out all of the pianos you can. Trust me, your disappointment will disappear as you learn to listen critically.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
K
K
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Usually it's just due to mood. Keep trying out all of the pianos you can. Trust me, your disappointment will disappear as you learn to listen critically.

It's amazing how true that is. I've only owned my piano for a few months and my ear for tone has improved dramatically.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
One way to develop your musical ear is to try singing and to listen to lots of good singers. Developing a vocal "sense" of how instrumental music can be produced will help to evaluate any instrument. After all "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that sing" to paraphrase the tune.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Interesting OP because I just recently went and tested an Essex 5-8, a Boston 5-8 and a Steinway 6'ish and sort of had the same issue but if anything I was not blown away by the Steinway bass as I was expecting. There was the issue of my car AC dying recently and traveling under the sun with my "awesome" clear T-Top well..by the time I got to the store, I was burned out so I am doing the test again tomorrow morning under cooler temps.
In any case, it takes time to hear the differences which is something I am learning a lot about based on the pianos I have had and tested. Now I am better at listening for the things I like and dislike and how the piano feels etc.

So yeah, I can relate to the confusion part...tomorrow I am taking my Zoom H2N to have it all recorded laugh

The other thing about pianos is how much the work done on them can change the sound. It can really transform a piano dramatically.

Last edited by shaolin95; 06/28/13 10:55 PM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Ed:

Once again your thoughts hit the target smack dab in the middle.

A pianist tries all his life to achieve a singing, non-percussive tone. But I find that not many grasp this simple and absolutely fundamental truth.

In the case of a piano tech, it's extraordinary.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Karl Watson

In the case of a piano tech, it's extraordinary.

Actually Karl, in the case of a piano tech. whose living depends on satisfying musically sophisticated clients, it is pretty common. smile

But I agree Ed put it beautifully.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
To the OP,

It may simply be that the best piano for you is not a Steinway.
That has nothing to do with a lack of critical listening and perhaps everything to do with having the ability to listen critically.

There are many members here who chose a Mason over a Steinway.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Sometimes, it helps to try the same model piano at more than one dealer. As has been pointed out, who preps the piano makes a difference.

As for liking the M&H, join the club. They make very nice pianos.

Also try to find a nice Charles Walter 190...another "American tone" piano, that's well built and quite musical.

Lastly, a good Baldwin (and they ain't all good) can be a joy. Do see if you can find a nice used one to try, preferrably a 7'.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jolly
Sometimes, it helps to try the same model piano at more than one dealer. As has been pointed out, who preps the piano makes a difference.

As for liking the M&H, join the club. They make very nice pianos.

Also try to find a nice Charles Walter 190...another "American tone" piano, that's well built and quite musical.

Lastly, a good Baldwin (and they ain't all good) can be a joy. Do see if you can find a nice used one to try, preferrably a 7'.

All great recommendations Jolly!

(PS - I am so glad you are hanging around here again. I have missed you) thumb

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
In a huntin' and fishin' way, I hope...

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber

Definitely. This isn't BrokeBack Piano.

Oh wait.... didn't they go fishin' in that movie??

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Ummm ------ Actually not.

[Linked Image]

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Ummm ------ Actually not.

[Linked Image]

Got that right !! ha

Actually, I'm glad to see Jolly back here as well. 10 years ago (separate from PW) he provided info to me regarding the build quality of the first grand I owned (a Weber WSG57). Very helpful.

Last edited by carey; 06/29/13 05:48 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
johnnysd your posting is like a breath o` fresh air in a fusty place . . .someone who has not yet been brainwashed into the Steinway Worshipful Society. If you consider yourself a relative beginner, then you`ll find a host of cheap excellent older instruments which you can choose from, and which will give great satisfaction in playing and maintaining. Follow your ear and instincts, not the crowd. . .the name of the game is fun and achievemnet. And it`s in the music rather than the piano!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I tried a number of different Steinways and I left not really feeling all that impressed. They sounded sort of thin and uncomplex to me. They played nice, had good sustain but none of them made me go "wow".

Had someone said this about Chinese pianos [including the better ones among them.. ..] some of the hate mongers and nay-sayers here would fall all over themselves to poo-poo them immediately....

Amazing what one gets away with when being famous.

OP's experience is not that uncommon, not just involving Steinway.

Great names can disappoint and often - do.

Greatness and inspiration can be found - sometimes in most unsuspecting corners...

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 06/29/13 06:53 PM.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
The OP johnny calls it confusion, while I'd say he already is a discriminating pianist and on the right track. Please start playing many grands of various makers, in multiple showrooms. You'll start to find what pleases you.

Play some large European uprights while you are at it.

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by johnnysd
So it's stupid hot in San Diego today so I figure it might be a good day to "shop" for a piano and try some grands out in an air conditioned show room. I have an upright a Sohmer 45 that I bought for $500 and that sounds really nice. I am a beginner pianist for the most part.

The one that I played that I thought sounded the best was actually one of the smallest a sub 6 foot Mason and Hamlin. It had a delightful tone, rich bass singing trebles and had that pleasing complex resonance the best pianos have.

I truly expected to be in awe of the pianos I played but wasn't. Other than maybe the Mason and Hamlin none of them made me want to (whether I could or not) ditch my up upright and write a zero-heavy check.

Maybe I am just not good enough to bring out the sound of the instrument, but I have a pretty good ear so I don't know. Maybe just the showroom.

Anyone ever have an experience like this?

Yes indeed, Mr Johnnysd,

Possibility #1
You get out of your car after driving for a while and your ears are somewhat jaded from the road noise, you walk over to the Steinway and expect great things, and it isn't there. Mason & Hamlin, famous for its fat sound, sounds just right in your condition. My piano sounds fantastic to me first thing in the morning, much less so if I play right after driving home from work.

Possibility #2, Steinway has been documented to have moved from over-hardening their hammers with lacquer that is used to get acceptable sound right out of the box, so they need more playing now to settle and get impacted. Much of the work when playing a new Steinway key (or an old one with new hammers) is compacting the hammer wool. In this case, it would be better if someone in the Steinway value chain properly pounded the hammers before the customer plays...

Possibility #3. Steinway can't make a good piano anymore, and in the electronic keyboards and synth forum, the cool thing will no longer be to get the best digital sampling of the Steinway D, but a Hailun piano or the like. Not the probably scenario, but for completeness, it can't be dismissed.

Above possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

Best wishes -

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
D
D
I don't think it's mood. I think it's hammers, voicing, and tech prep. Well-prepped pianos tend to be more impressive.

I encountered several highly expensive duds in my search.

There was one seller that relied heavily on Polish rebuilds of S&S and I did not like a single one of them.

Another seller told me he gave up on Poland because he had to put so much work into making them sing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission