2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, 10 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2109395 06/28/13 12:53 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I recently purchase of a Brodmann PE 162 and had some issues with it.

The Piano arrived with a few minor issues that was mostly taken care of by a technician except for it horrifying bright sound in our setting. to extend that is not very pleasant to play.
According to technician it was totaly out of tuned too. he tuned it but still I hear a lot of inconsistency amount registers. In our home It is far brighter than in showroom.

If you have one of these Pianos, could you share your experience. Not sure this is something common among all new Pianos or specific to Brodmann quality (it is a Chinese product with european-named marketing behind it) , will be fixed or get better over time or I was sold a bad apple. Could a manufacturing issue be the cause , like action or soundboard, hammers, etc?
Thanks for sharing.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It is most likely to be voicing, which is a common situation with new pianos. In most cases, it can be corrected by an experienced tech. What did the technician say? You should have tried the piano before it was delivered, and barring that, tried it after it was tuned and expressed any concerns then.

Semipro Tech
Did you by chance purchase this piano brand new in crate?

Sounds like it had never been set up and prepped in store by dealer - a no-no..

This is more like things should be:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0my%20Brodmann%20today!.html#Post2107531

Time to get your free tuning?

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 06/29/13 07:59 PM.

F
OP Offline
F
Did try it in showroom. Had all the same issue also in showroom. Dealer claimed he will fix it all before shipping. So I trusted him and signed a final sales agreement. I know pretty stupid. I did not buy local so I have to travel and pay a large shipping charge. So I am trying to see if I can fix it for less than shipping cost!
Can a technician figure out if there is a issue that warrants sending it back to dealer? Like obvious issues on parts, etc.

F
OP Offline
F
Thank for the link. Looks like either I should have picked the 187 or I was sold a bad apple!
What can I do about it now.

BDB #2109432 06/28/13 02:26 AM
F
OP Offline
F
The technician said he would tune it again in 3 months and at that time he would voice it but all at my cost

B
BDB Offline
B
Tell the dealer that the issue was not taken care of, and that he should pay to repair it now.

Semipro Tech
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
There will be nothing wrong with the piano other than it will need a lot of tuning to stabilize, and a good regulation and voicing. The dealer should have sorted this. Your piano will be fine

YAMAHA Artist
S
S
As a fellow new Brodmann owner (Norbert linked my thread), it makes me sad to see someone with a completely different experience. In hindsight, it sounds like it might have been better to not make a decision before the dealer had a technician in. I've heard that brands like Brodmann need a lot of showroom prep.

Not sure what your options are as far as going back to the dealer or if it's an issue with bad parts (which is hopefully covered by the warranty). Might just take a lengthy appointment with a technician to get it sounding the way you want it to.

This is clearly a dealer issue: why was the piano in such condition, was it already like that on on salesfloor?

Have you asked dealer to perhaps send a tech to check things out?

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 06/29/13 08:00 PM.

F
OP Offline
F
This is a wonder full site. Thanks for reassuring comments, it really helps when you make a mistake that big.
I hired a technician to come in next week and if there is no fundamental issue hopefully as joe80 said it be just a matter of time and little money to get it fixed.

I must admit it is my first purchase of music instrument and spending so much money (for me) for it expecting a whole different crowd than your usual salesman who lives and breaths for mighty $$. Here what my Piano salesman (and concert artist!) turn out:

I spoke with dealer, no chance but to hire a lawyer and go through "you said", "I said" routine with no proof which may end up costing more money. He is saying voicing is a matter of preference and I have to pay for it to make it sound the way I like and no recollection that it was fundamental agreement to buy the Piano subject to promise that he can voice it down to just sound like the other PE 162 next it in showroom.

I have never been so shamelessly lied to in face. This was like more I got your money, have you signed a final deal agreement and we both know you can not do anything anymore. Well in aftermath he has such bad reviews on Yelp that I should have not expected anything else anyway.(just of I read them before frown.

Sorry I had to put out but helps me to clam down a bit ..

S
S
No offense to the fine, upstanding examples of piano dealers we have here, but it almost seems like you have to do as much research into the dealer as you do into the piano. :-/

The first dealer I went to (a family acquaintance, even!) flat out lied to me about the asking price of a piano he was selling on consignment, acting like he was giving me a huge deal all along. But the dealer I eventually bought my piano from was willing to bend over backwards to get me exactly what I wanted at a very reasonable price. Although I'm surprised your dealer is also a concert artist as well... it's seemed to me like the dealers that are actual musicians as well have been the more honest ones. I guess that's not always the case.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
That blows. It's too late now, but yeah, buying a piano isn't like buying a Macbook. Each one is different and if the one you play doesn't sound exactly the way you want it then you shouldn't get it, not until the dealer preps it to what you want.

Maybe suggest a bad Yelp review, report to the BBB.

Or just pay for the voicing yourself, move on, and convince yourself the Kharma gods will even things out for the both of you smile

I bought a really nice car a few years ago, all black. By the time we finished all the paper work it was dark outside. Either way I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but the detailers used some dirty polishing pads and put swirl marks all over the car. It didn't reveal until after a few washes when the wax came off, about a month later. I called the dealer and they just played stupid. I was pretty mad, but eventually I convinced myself to just eat it, set me back about $400. Live and learn. The next fancy car I buy I'll tell them to wash it with Dove, and inspect it at 2pm.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by FlowerGirl
Did try it in showroom. Had all the same issue also in showroom. Dealer claimed he will fix it all before shipping. So I trusted him and signed a final sales agreement. I know pretty stupid. I did not buy local so I have to travel and pay a large shipping charge. So I am trying to see if I can fix it for less than shipping cost!
Can a technician figure out if there is a issue that warrants sending it back to dealer? Like obvious issues on parts, etc.

Hi Flowergirl,

Sorry to read about your problems here and in the tech forum. The piano you purchased is an excellent piano if properly prepared by the dealer before delivery. It is regretful that you "did not buy local", where we are the dealer, but we don't want you to feel abandoned.

Our technician in your area is Mr Roland Kaplan. You may know him since he is quite renowned, having been the President of the local PTG chapter, and servicing pianos for the San Jose Symphony, San Jose State University and Stanford University. As a gesture of good will, I am happy to provide his services in properly preparing your piano, free of charge to you. Simply give me a call, or send me an email, and I will arrange for Mr. Kaplan to visit you.

Have no fear, the piano will be perfect when he leaves, and will give your family years of musical enjoyment.

Last edited by master88er; 06/30/13 03:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Another regretful thing is that you chose to create a third separate screen name for yourself. You were warned before.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission