2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Here's my dilemma, I know the ES7's action is so much better, but the Kawai weighs substantially more than the Roland; so simply comparing their internal sounds, which would you choose?

I need to be able to easily transport a piano with built-in speakers to small venues, where, with just the addition of a stand and a stool I can perform solo gigs. (I'm already well covered for larger band gigs). I have a bad back, and will likely not have assistance to setup and tear down the equipment. In the past, I have owned the Roland FP-4, FP-7F and RD-64, and also the Kawai MP5 and MP6. I preferred the playability of the FP-7F to the MP6, despite the clearer tone of the Kawai.

I like the harmonic integration and decay qualities of Roland's SN pianos, but I do find them just a little muddy at times.

I did not like the way the FP-7F's internal speakers would distort if a left-hand bass patch was split with piano.

If you have played the FP-50 (or FP-4F), and/or the ES7, please tell me what you like and dislike about them. How well do the speakers respond to acoustic bass split with piano? Are the speakers loud enough for small gigs? Do you find the ES7 too heavy/awkward to move around?

Thanks!

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I think I'd go back to your old FP-4! Lightest of the bunch, perfectly workable for your needs, and I think the playability was better than on the FP-4F, which makes me think that it's likely better than the FP-50 as well, but I haven't tried an FP-50 yet.

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Thanks for that, Scott (I think!). You know, I've been scouring the country for another sensibly priced, good condition FP-4, but they've all gone to ground.

mabraman, 2015
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, if you have a back problem, you are not going to want to lug the ES7 around. It is pretty heavy. I think you would be happy with the sound system but that weight would wear you out, I am afraid.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
voxpops, I'm afraid I may know the answer to this already, but is it possible you can play-test an ES7 beforehand?

As others have said, if you have had positive experiences with the FP-4, that should probably be at the top of your shopping list (if you can find one). I'm a little curious as to why you parted with the Roland in he first place.

Alternatively, you could always wait a little while and see if Father Christmas, dressed in a nice 'Kawai-red' outfit, brings you some nice goodies...

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Thanks, Don. Yes, I think the ES7 would have to be so astoundingly better that it was worth risking even more damage - which is unlikely. Also, I dislike turning up to a summer's gig bathed in sweat!

Are you enjoying yours?

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James
voxpops, I'm afraid I may know the answer to this already, but is it possible you can play-test an ES7 beforehand?

Unfortunately, not a snowball's chance in heck! [Edit: interesting that the software substitutes the word that's printed here for the "down-below" word!]

As others have said, if you have had positive experiences with the FP-4, that should probably be at the top of your shopping list (if you can find one). I'm a little curious as to why you parted with the Roland in he first place.

It was to pay for the RD-64 (which I didn't keep). Again, there was no chance of trying one here first. Nice LITTLE board, though.

Alternatively, you could always wait a little while and see if Father Christmas, dressed in a nice 'Kawai-red' outfit, brings you some nice goodies...

Hmmmm... What a tease you are, James. wink

Last edited by voxpops; 06/27/13 05:50 PM.

mabraman, 2015
V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Kawai, Red, Father Christmas, North Pole, Goodies... No, back up a moment! North... What's the Swedish word for North again?

mabraman, 2015
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
If I was lugging around my own equipment and gigging with any frequency at all, I'd get the lightest thing available (regardless of whether I had a bad back). What would that be...like a Casio PX-150 maybe? Or Yamaha P105.

We spend a lot of time scrutinizing the various actions and tone generators but the truth is that all these actions are workable and pretty much any modern digital piano will sound good enough for a room full of noisy people. The venue and speakers are likely to be the limiting factor.

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by gvfarns
If I was lugging around my own equipment and gigging with any frequency at all, I'd get the lightest thing available (regardless of whether I had a bad back). What would that be...like a Casio PX-150 maybe? Or Yamaha P105.

We spend a lot of time scrutinizing the various actions and tone generators but the truth is that all these actions are workable and pretty much any modern digital piano will sound good enough for a room full of noisy people. The venue and speakers are likely to be the limiting factor.

Yes, I spent a month with the P-105, and quite liked it. It had two limiting factors for me: 1) the speakers were only 7 watts, a little mid/bass heavy, and distorted when acoustic bass was coupled with piano at reasonable volumes; 2) activating/deactivating splits was clunky. Other than those issues, it's a great little board for straight piano playing, without frills.

mabraman, 2015
C
C
I have played the ES7 and the FP 80. Good action , good AP sounds and good speakers( similar DP). My decision was to buy the FP 80 because it has better EP sounds, more sounds and better rhytms section, but the ES 7 ís a good choice too. I would like to wait the MP 6 replacement but there aren´t any notice about.

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Thanks, cabi. Unfortunately, the FP-80 is just simply too bulky and heavy, but at least the sounds should be the same in the 50, although the speakers are not as good.

mabraman, 2015
I've yet to really try the FP-80 properly - have the EP sounds been improved over the FP-7F?

James
x

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Yes, thank goodness! There are one or two videos online which highlight the EPs, particularly one made during Musikmesse.

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We keep a Roland FP-4 in our rental pool. It's great except customers keep trying to screw up the music desk when they pack it.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
C
C
Yes, the EPs are better than FP 7-F. The AP sound too, maybe because the FP 80 has better speakers.

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
I'd applaud the first manufacturer that provides a slot in the base of their slab pianos in which to stow the music rest.

mabraman, 2015
Nice idea, however I'm pretty sure that would affect the instrument's structural rigidity. Certainly for Kawai stage pianos, the action sits on the bottom board, so I doubt there's sufficient space remaining in which to fit a slide in music rest - even temporarily.

James
x

V
voxpops Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Nice idea, however I'm pretty sure that would affect the instrument's structural rigidity. Certainly for Kawai stage pianos, the action sits on the bottom board, so I doubt there's sufficient space remaining in which to fit a slide in music rest - even temporarily.

Yes, it would require some ingenious rethinking of the case and possibly the music rest itself. But if Casio can repurpose their speaker slots to be a battery compartment and a set of faders, then who knows what could be slid into the rear or the top of keyboards with a bit of creative thinking, and perhaps a folding scissor or latticework design for the rest? Also, some existing music rests are little more than bent wire - it can't be rocket science to design a clip-on holder underneath the board for such devices, as it's rare for keyboard gigbags etc. to have pockets wide enough for such accessories.

mabraman, 2015
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by voxpops
Thanks, Don. Yes, I think the ES7 would have to be so astoundingly better that it was worth risking even more damage - which is unlikely. Also, I dislike turning up to a summer's gig bathed in sweat!

Are you enjoying yours?

Yes, I absolutely am. It has a great Concert Grand sound, which is all I ever use.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission