2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 249 of 452 1 2 247 248 249 250 251 451 452
M
M
Originally Posted by klaviero
I just started playing piano and I was wondering if the Alfred books were only meant to be used to complement an actual course or can a complete beginner learn with those books without an instructor?
I think there's a self-teaching version of the Alfred's books.

yes, here: http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Self-Teaching-Adult-Piano-Course/dp/0739052055/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348128801&sr=1-1&keywords=alfred%27s+adult+piano+self-teaching

What I don't know is how it differs from the all in one version of Alfred's. Does anyone know?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yay Edward! I'm not far ahead of you. smile I'm on page 50. I turn a page about once a week. LOL It is a very nice method book. Did you get any supplemental books (performance, technique or theory?) I have a few Faber performance books which I'm slogging through along with the alfreds. Gives me more meat to work on.

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
Yay Edward! I'm not far ahead of you. smile I'm on page 50. I turn a page about once a week. LOL It is a very nice method book. Did you get any supplemental books (performance, technique or theory?) I have a few Faber performance books which I'm slogging through along with the alfreds. Gives me more meat to work on.

Yes- already had a chords book my bro gave me, two theory books a friend gave me and some piano sheet music books. Didn't have a ;piano course book for adults tho. I had photocopied some pages from books from the library and printouts from websites but needed a proper course book.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
smile They say great minds think alike... wink

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
M
M
Hi all,

I have just ordered this book Alfreds book

Is this the same book as this thread pertains to? If it is different what are the differnces and which one is the "correct" one to get as i'll order that also. smile

Cheers, Mark

Ferry & Foster upright

Alfred's self teaching - Book 1
Started Mid September 2012
End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??
M
M
MM, I have the all in one book which includes theory. I have a teacher, so I didn't get the self-teaching one. I'm assuming the one you link to has more extensive explanations of technique and how to approach each piece.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
MM, I have the all in one book which includes theory. I have a teacher, so I didn't get the self-teaching one. I'm assuming the one you link to has more extensive explanations of technique and how to approach each piece.

That should be perfect! Most of us have the regular All In One Piano Course, but the Basic, the All in One, and the Self Teaching have basically the same pieces, give or take a few. I have the regular All in One, because the one you have wasn't available when I started. I wish it had been. It sounds like it has more explanation for each piece, and I could have used all the help I could get. Plus there are a few additional pieces at the end that the others don't have. Enjoy!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by mom3gram

That should be perfect! Most of us have the regular All In One Piano Course, but the Basic, the All in One, and the Self Teaching have basically the same pieces, give or take a few. I have the regular All in One, because the one you have wasn't available when I started. I wish it had been. It sounds like it has more explanation for each piece, and I could have used all the help I could get. Plus there are a few additional pieces at the end that the others don't have. Enjoy!

That's great. It should be here soon and then my wife and I can get started. We can't wait!

Ferry & Foster upright

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??
M
M
Still waiting for the book to arrive. Been using Learn and Master this last week (not sure what peoples thoughts are on that series).

Does alfreds show you different styles as you progress i.e. Blues/rock? Just curious is all.

Ferry & Foster upright

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes Alfreds will introduce different styles. You can even buy seperate style Methods. For instance I have the Jazz/Rock Course for beginners by Alfreds. It coincides with pages 73 or something like that?

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
M
M
Book arrived today. Had a quick glance through it, looks very interesting, can't wait!

To save me looking through all the pages on this rather large thread, can anyone summarise any tips or tricks that may be useful whilst using this method book?

Thanks in advance,Mark

Ferry & Foster upright

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mark, I don't think there are really any magical tips or tricks. Just work your way though, be patient, be sure that you can play a piece well before moving on, and don't rush your way through the book. You will hit a few what seem to be brick walls - the most famous of those is "Blow the Man Down". You can read through pages and pages where someone (often me) tells about being stuck on a piece, and people who have been there just recommending patience. Eventually you break through that wall and wonder why it was so hard. And then probably get stuck on another piece a couple of pages later. That seems to be the way it works. There are probably a few good tips and insights on particular pieces, but you can always do a search or ask questions about those when you come to them. The book is a good teaching/learning tool and you will learn a lot. Of course, I'm sure that a good teacher would help, but for a lot of reasons, I chose to go it alone. (That's why I'm still slogging my way through Book 2, LOL!) Enjoy!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
F
F
Hi All,

I came back from holidays, to get back to Alfred, "The Stranger". I decided to re-start in the piece before it, "Jericho".

It is nice to see some new studens here, and see the old students are still there working hard smile

I also like to start some Christmas Songs in middle of October.

Originally Posted by MonkeyMark
... To save me looking through all the pages on this rather large thread, can anyone summarise any tips or tricks that may be useful whilst using this method book

I printed this thread to a pdf file and I make a search with the piece name before start to learn it.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

S
S
Starting to fiddle with Chattanooga choo choo, feel like I've been yanked out of the shallow end and thrown into the sea..

M
M
Originally Posted by fliper

I printed this thread to a pdf file and I make a search with the piece name before start to learn it.

Ok, maybe a silly question, but how do you print a full thread to PDF?

Ferry & Foster upright

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??
F
F
Please do not be afraid to ask, if you want to know, we are here to help

1) Click in "Topic Optins" (menu over the header of the first topic of the page of the thread you want to print)

2) Then click in "Print Topic"
You will have a printable version of the full thread. You have to wait a while because the thread is very long, with a lot of nice information smile

3)Print to a pdf file

To print to a pdf file I have the freeware "CutePDF writer" but there are other software, also free.
http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Last edited by fliper; 10/01/12 04:55 AM.

M
M
Thanks fliper, I'll try that when I'm next on my laptop (using iPod right now).

How long do people usually stay on one piece/page?

Only right at the beginning, trying jingle bells and largo. Just wondered if you keep at it until you have it consistently nailed, or just till your happy then move on?

P.S. My sticking point right now seems to be sight reading to slowly.

At the moment I don’t get much piano time, that should change soon though. Any tips or resources that could help keeping in mind I’m at the very basics? Preferably something I can print out and keep in my pocket. I can’t always be at a computer at work but I do get plenty of opportunities to read.

Manyt thanks for all your help.

Last edited by MonkeyMark; 10/03/12 04:16 AM.

Ferry & Foster upright

End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??
F
F

"How long do people usually stay on one piece/page?

Only right at the beginning, trying jingle bells and largo. Just wondered if you keep at it until you have it consistently nailed, or just till your happy then move on?"

ANSWER: I go to next piece when I can play the piece without errors with right tempo.

"Any tips or resources that could help keeping in mind I’m at the very basics?"
A new piece is a new challenge and new things to learn. As mom3gram said there is no magic tips. From this forum and other sources here are some tips:
- I start a piece clapping and count loud as advised in the beginning of Alfred
- Start to play very slow without errors is better than try to play faster with errors. Your mind will learn the correct keys not the errors.
- Play small parts of the piece until you learn it and than pass to the next small part of the piece, instead to try to play the complete piece. Do this when you practice. Do not practice the complete piece again and again. Practice the things you can not play so good as you want.
- use other sources to play other pices in addition to Alfred book.
- Listen de CD and otherpiano pieces, you have in this forum the recitals and the "Piano Bar"

Here are some books mentioned in this thread, as supplement to
the Alfred Basic Adult course or Alfred AIO Piano Adult Course

Alfred's Greatest Hits Book 1
Alfred's Pop Songbook Book 1
Alfred's Sacred Book 1
Alfred's Jazz, Blues and Rags
Piano Handbook by Humphries (I have this book. I did not start it yet. CD has nice piano sound)
My First Book of Classical Music
Alfred All Time Favorites (I have this one. Pieeces are challeging for me. I only played the first two)

Faber Adult Piano Adventures (Method Book, as Alfred)
Bastien Piano Basics Book 1 (Method Book, as Alfred)

The first two books are the most popular in this thread. Each piece has the piece number of Alfred Piano Book you should know to play it.

See also these thread
Sources for simple music
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1671838/

I'm now on the "Good People" piece from this book. This is definitely the most difficult piece I've tried so far. In the book, it looks like the notes in the first "response" is the same as the last "response", but I've seen videos in youtube that it seems to be played quite differently. Any ideas why?

F
F
Welcome to this thread bolodski.

In "Alfred All-In-One" book, measures 10 and 14 are the same. Is your question about those measures? May be there is different versions of the piece in other books. Did you listen the CD that come with the book? Please remember that the web recordings are made by students like us smile

"Good People" is also difficult to me, I think it is the tempo it is not easy to play right. I will return to it to have a better recording.

Page 249 of 452 1 2 247 248 249 250 251 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission