2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
My family has found a Kawai RX-5 piano that they are pushing me to buy to replace our current, less than desirable, small upright. It is for sale from a private party. I would have to pay to have it moved about 500 miles, so the total cost after moving would be about $14,500. From my online research this sounds like a good deal, but I would like any opinions that anyone has on this price before we commit to such large purchase(at least to us). I guess Im just looking for some validation to make me feel better. We are going to go see it this weekend and if all checks out I will probably give in and get it.

Thanks for your help!!

P
P
Definitely sounds like you are looking for some validation... What year is it? (i.e. is it recent enough to have the new Millennium III action on it or does it have the same action as the KG models?) Definitely have a local technician check it out before you buy, and don't be pressured into buying it from the seller. The more the seller pressures you the more skeptical you should be about the condition of the piano...
Just some thoughts from a newbie.

I sit in a cubical all day and sometimes I do work...
W
OP Offline
W
It is a 2007. I don't know about the millennium action. When did Kawai start using the Millennium III action? Does it make a big difference?

P
P
The Millennium action come out around 2004/2005 (something like that...), so the piano should have it. Whether you like it or not is a matter of personal preference. I recommend that you visit a local piano store that has a newer kawai RX model and an older KG model so you can compare the two actions and see which one you prefer.

I sit in a cubical all day and sometimes I do work...
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
That sounds pretty good. How much is shipping 500 miles? I think local shipping is about $300 so maybe $1000?

I bought a new 2012 RX-5 BLAK just about a month ago for $19.6K. Someone I know was offered a new RX-6 BLAK for about $22K. These are for the BLAK which came out in 2009 that has some improvements (but I'm not exactly sure how significant).

And a couple weeks ago I saw a CL ad in SF for a late (2007'ish) RX-5 for $13.5K which I thought was pretty interesting so $14.5K with a long move sounds like a similar deal.

According to Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawai_Musical_Instruments

In 1996, Kawai introduced the RX Series grand pianos featuring the Ultra-Responsive ABS Action. The RX Series continued to evolve with the introduction of the Millennium III Action with ABS-Carbon in 2004. In 2009, the RX BLAK Series debuted with a new Acoustic Resonant Solid Spruce soundboard and the addition of Phenolic Stabilizers on the hammers that further enhanced the precision of the hammer strike for improved tone and consistency. The RX BLAK Series pianos also feature many cosmetic enhancements which one might find pleasing based on personal opinion and taste.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
That is an excellent price for a 2007 RX-5.

Make sure that you have a full technical inspection performed by a qualified piano technician to assess its current condition.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks you all for the responses. The technical inspections is happening today. Got a moving Quote for $700. AHHHHH! I going further down this path that I will not be able to return from.

michaelh,
That is the piano we are looking into.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by waywardal
michaelh,
That is the piano we are looking into.

Hilarious. Small world, or I guess not that small (500 miles). When I saw that ad I thought whoever gets that is going to be a pretty lucky person. Obviously, get it checked out top to bottom, but my guess is anyone with that type of instrument is going to baby it.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Michaelh,

You do realize that price you're quoting publicly and often is an anomaly that no normal customer (or institutional buyer) is ever likely to see on a new RX-5 from an authorized dealer, right??

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
C
C
hey Waywardal,

keep us posted on the outcome please. I have to tell you, being in SoCal, there's not many Kawai RX's of any type offered for sale compared to say the Yamaha C series. I was told that's because most owner's really like them and they don't part with them often. Take that for what's it worth but the fact of the matter is, there's a lot of C Yamahas in the world. I was looking for a used C-3 when I started this venture.

What I wanted to say was that the Kawai has a sound of its own. Do you have experience with the RX series or something in a Kawai that size? I would be interested in your take on the sound. The RX5 is an awesome instrument as Michaelh can attest to. Check out her original post to see a beautiful RX5. It's drop dead awesome when they're so new and shiny.

Btw, if you have the Larry Fine book, copy his used piano buying check list and take it with you, it helped me a great deal. Well, keep us posted and take some pix too. I hope it's the one for you. If you're passing through LA, there's some Kawai dealers up with GX's and maybe some RX's worth a look. Let me know and I'll give you some names and numbers. I just purchased mine mid April. I know you must be very excited to be looking at such a beautiful grand piano. Good luck.......blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
terminaldegree,

I've heard of a few other accounts of people buying various RX's with similar discounts lately. I think the main reason is because they're clearing them out for the new GX's. I suspect the falling yen has something to do with it as well, but of course the dealers wouldn't verify that.

I gave this some thought, but I don't see the problem with posting 'prices paid.' It's extremely valuable to the consumer and I think it could benefit the industry as well. These tools are widely available when buying cars and pianos are just as large of an expense/investment.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I stand behind my previous statement 100%. This is an anomaly, and even if I'm wrong, represents a tiny window of product during a transitional period. I know enough Kawai dealers and have shopped these models recently enough as a consumer, institutional purchaser, and as a person obliquely connected with the industry that I may have more perspective on this (and data to back it up).

If people want to post prices, fine- I don't run this forum. To have a truly informed figure, you also need to consider regional differences, trade-ins, if the delivery is 10 miles or 250 (and a flight of stairs), if the included bench is a cheap piece of junk or a $600 adjustable that's built like a tank, whether the piano was drop-shipped from a crate or adequately prepped, whether the dealer was going out of business, or is no longer a dealer for that brand, and the fact that fictitious prices are also posted here occasionally, with some "foul play" suspected on the retail side...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Might I also point out to folks only staring at the amazing price that has been posted, the piano in this thread is not new, it is being sold by a private party. That being said, if it has all checked out, and the moving/delivery figure is correct - that's a real heck of a deal. smile

BTW, the GX? Awesome, awesome, awesome! I was the first dealer in Florida to get one!

Last edited by M.O.P.; 06/26/13 06:42 PM. Reason: typo

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The balance remaining on the transferable 10-year warranty, will still be in force. It would be good if you could get a copy of the paperwork for the original dealer sale. I hate to say so, but we have known of an individual who used to post here, who tried to sell a piano that was not exactly her own--- it was on loan from a local dealer! The Kawai dealer who is local to you, and who would be managing any warranty claims, would like to have these documents. And in fact, 500 miles is not so far away that I would not want to go and play, and examine this piano in person... and even look the seller in the eye.

I have an RX-5 of nearly the same year, and love it. If you have a tech who will give it good care for you, it will be a wonderful piano.

Even for a private sale, I think it would be good to draw up a simple bill of sale. The model, finish, and serial number, total price, a receipt for the deposit (stating how long the piano will be held, and whether the deposit is refundable, subject to the inspector's report), and for the final payment, made in your behalf by the movers when they accept it for transshipment. The form of payment (cash, cashier's check, whatever) should be stated. Any notes about the previous use and condition should be noted--- fire, flood, private residence, teaching studio piano, condition of the finish, previous insurance or warranty claims, etc. If you read the back numbers on the Tuner/Tech forum, you will see why it might pay to ask about these things. It's likely to be fine; it's good to be as sure of it as you can.

I would make sure that the inspecting technician is well-qualified, and that he or she gives you a written report, stating the points inspected, and their condition (it's a simple checklist, with comments). Included photos on-site would not be a bad idea. Contact information for the present tech, who's been caring for the instrument, would be a nice touch.

You should have a good understanding of the terms of the contract, and insurance coverage, of the movers--- who should be licensed, professional piano movers, not common furniture carriers. You might like to ask your insurance agent about a rider on your homeowner's policy, which covers risks of moving a piano. Again, probably fine; sometimes, not fine and you would like your risk managed--- or at least, known.

None of these points and precautions is of much significance, as long as things go smoothly. If they don't, they can be of critical importance. At least, these observances will help convince the seller, inspector, and carrier that you didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

I wish you the best of luck. Congratulations on moving up the piano food chain.

Clef

C
C
Clef...........you rock!

I'm printing this one out for a friend

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I wouldn't buy a piano I never played....did you try it out?

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
I wouldn't buy a piano I never played....did you try it out?

"We are going to go see it this weekend and if all checks out I will probably give in and get it." OP-6/26/13

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission