2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Even after recommending you try Teacher #2, I will say that you should not discount your son's feelings about Teacher #3. Your son will learn better from a teacher that he likes and with whom is is comfortable. Personality and approach mean a lot. Learning should be pleasant if not even fun for a child the age of your son. I think I'd give Teacher #3 the nod at this point.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BrainCramp
Cardinal, I'd ask both #2 and #3 to give you a couple of customer references to call. Those might be parents or adult students. Try to get a feel for whether the students progress and are happy.

After all, if you were looking for a doctor or an electrician, you wouldn't simply go on recommendations from other doctors and electricians.
I have never encountered a prospective client who asked for customer references. I would be more than puzzled by such requests.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Cardinal, I'd ask both #2 and #3 to give you a couple of customer references to call. Those might be parents or adult students. Try to get a feel for whether the students progress and are happy.

After all, if you were looking for a doctor or an electrician, you wouldn't simply go on recommendations from other doctors and electricians.
I have never encountered a prospective client who asked for customer references. I would be more than puzzled by such requests.

Hi AZN,

You're probably getting new students via word of mouth, which means people are talking to your "references" without having to ask you for their names. That's wonderful and easy for you.

But Cardinal said she didn't know any parents whose kids studied with these teachers. So if she's going to get any input from other parents, she's going to have to ask the teachers themselves for some names.

Last week I browsed the listings of piano teachers in my area on Angie's List. I think nowadays anyone who provides a service for a fee should be ready to provide customer references/testimonials in some format or other.

Last edited by BrainCramp; 06/25/13 12:54 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Teacher #3 clearly has better people skills than #2, and no surprise, you liked her better. Your son also liked her better. And you've heard some of her pupils: they played well *and* looked happy. How much more recommending of a piano teacher do you need?

I think you should wait until the fall, and then give #3 a try. But don't start up with another teacher for just 2 months: that's bad psychologically for everyone.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Teacher #3 clearly has better people skills than #2, and no surprise, you liked her better. Your son also liked her better. And you've heard some of her pupils: they played well *and* looked happy. How much more recommending of a piano teacher do you need?

I think you should wait until the fall, and then give #3 a try. But don't start up with another teacher for just 2 months: that's bad psychologically for everyone.

+1

Very interesting thread. I strongly agree with Peter.

Piano Teacher
R
R

I don't agree. If I knew someone, even as an acquaintance, who was a doctor or plumber, but couldn't do the work I needed done, I would trust their opinion MUCH more than that of another client about which one of their colleagues to go with.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I agree with Peter.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I find it intriguing that #3 charges significantly more than #2. By what percentage per hour? I would have guessed that #2 would be a very pricey teacher, but I'm wrong.
Maybe since she deals with mostly kids she charges less than a teacher (#3) who deals with mostly adults, and non-beginner adults.

We are assuming that the cost is not a deciding factor for you, Cardinal?

P.S. I'm honored that Barb and Minniemay agree with me. Piano teacher selection is not at all easy. But eventually you just trust your instincts and give someone a try.

E
E

After reading and rereading the posts on this thread, I also have to agree with Peter!

Pianist
Private Piano Teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Stay away from teacher #2. She's a piano martinet. The world is full of 'em, and your sweet little boy doesn't need this, nor do his parents. Interview a couple of other teachers, or ask #1 for another couple of recommendations who are as delightful as she is.

Peter, do you know where they sell these?

[Linked Image]

Somehow, I feel my studio is missing something important!

[Linked Image]

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
John, I have no idea. I was hoping to borrow one of yours, though wondering how I could get it across the border.

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for your replies!

Both Teacher #2 and Teacher #3 are well-known in the area for the high caliber of their students. Neither teacher appears to teach adults. However, Teacher #3 does not take beginners, so her studio is comprised of older children and teenagers whereas Teacher #2's includes younger children as well. Teacher #3 charges 37.5% more per hour than Teacher #2, who already charges 60% more than my son's first teacher. Cost is not the deciding factor, but I certainly don't want to waste money. One of my concerns is that, given that the kiddo has only been playing for 9 months, does it make sense to go with the very expensive Teacher #3 who can teach and has taught beginners but prefers to teach and currently takes only advanced students? My son, who is a beginner in many respects, would be the exception in her studio. I was actually a bit surprised she was even willing to take him after he forgot what an eighth note was called (although he knew how to play it). On the other hand, it also seems kind of an honor...

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I don't think anyone would suggest you are wasting money on either Teacher #2 or Teacher #3. Both are clearly competent at what they do if they have full rosters and are charging market rates.

(For the rest of us, I got out a calculator: if less-experienced Teacher #1 might be charging $30/hr, that would mean Teacher #2 is at $48/hr, and Teacher #3 is $66/hr.)

These are most likely 30 or 45-minute lessons, so it's not a lot of money per week.

The fact that your son is the only beginner in the studio should not matter, except perhaps in a good way: maybe Teacher #3 felt she had too many beginners at one time, and that can be a drag.

You could certainly tell us about Teacher #4 if you want to keep looking around for more candidates....

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 06/26/13 03:57 PM.
C
OP Offline
C
Teacher #1 is $50/hour, #2 is $80/hour, and #3 is $110/hour...

I won't be interviewing any more teachers, as #2 and #3 already seem good choices. I just need to decide between the two!

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
less-experience Teacher #1 might be charging $30/hr....

You still see that kind of rate in Toronto? The starting rate here is more like $45

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Very few private piano teachers across Canada or the US command $80-$110 an hour. These are astonishingly high rates, especially for teaching children. But I forgot the coded reference to the state of California ("MTAC" = Music Teachers Assn. of CA), so all bets are off. Obviously Cardinal lives in an expensive metropolitan area of the state: maybe we're having another Irvine competitive-kids piano discussion and don't know it.

In any case, clearly Teachers #2 And #3 are among the elite of their locale. No doubt some PW contributors would even recognize their names. But that doesn't mean either one is as good for Cardinal Jr. as was Teacher #1. I still think there is a back story we are not being told about Teacher #1 that smells off.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
To answer Monkeys: I was not referring to Toronto. I'm sorry if I offended you by my example of more affordable piano lessons.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jeez, $110/hour seems pretty steep considering your kid is a beginner.

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Allan W.

I thought that too. I also wonder about Teacher 1's particular reasons for recommending Teacher 2. It may come down to some meeting ground between Teacher 1's judgment and your own gut feeling. Not sure how much internet folks at a distance can help, except to sympathize.

1989 Baldwin R
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Allan W.

Quality instruction is quality instruction. I'd argue beginners need better instruction than an intermediate or advanced student to instill quality practice habits from the get-go. That being said, though, similar instruction could probably be found for less upon thorough exploration.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission